HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
To phillym

Old
01-20-2013, 02:16 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Luongo was scheduled to start anyway
Cory Schneider was scheduled to play 60 minutes last night.

Didn't Luongo play more than him last night?

Old
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
JackJ

Hope Luongo wins back the starting role.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Still. Says something in my opinion.
What is says is that the Canucks aren't going to panic and toss out their goalie scheduling plan after one game.

From http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/01...nuary-19-2013/ :

"Why deviate from the plan over one game, let alone the first one? Of course, by sticking to the plan, people will interpret it as some sort of slight against Schneider, which makes no sense since it was the plan all along"

Old
01-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Cory Schneider was scheduled to play 60 minutes last night.

Didn't Luongo play more than him last night?
A little - 33 minutes for Luongo vs. 27 for Schneider. Schneider faced a couple more shots though, so it was pretty much a wash in terms of game experience.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
longchange

Bobby Lou deserves better than to play in Vancouver. I was hoping they would trade him to a decent team and Schneider would crap the bed...looks like that may have happened a bit too soon. I'm interested to see how things pan out in Van-city over the next little while.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by longchange View Post
Bobby Lou deserves better than to play in Vancouver. I was hoping they would trade him to a decent team and Schneider would crap the bed...looks like that may have happened a bit too soon. I'm interested to see how things pan out in Van-city over the next little while.
It's. Been. One. Game.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:40 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by longchange View Post
I don't think there will be shortage of of stories about vancouvers goalie situation this season by looks of it

Old
01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 323
I like that Vignault is going back with Luongo today. Sending a message to his team that the media and fans are not going to have a say in how he coaches his team. The start was obviously pre-planned with the back to back and he's sticking to it.

That being said, if Schneider continues to struggle Gillis has real bad luck for not getting a deal done cause both goalies could lose a ton of value.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by huge View Post
NBC panel at intermission just said gillis is losing leverage in a trade based off last night. Said he should be furious with vinault for pulling corey
And they're all morons. Price allowed a field goal against Vancouver and nearly twenty goals total in Montreal's western campaign. He's come a long way don't you think? One bad game in this condensed mess is not going to have large ramifications. If Schneider loses the job to Luongo, then we have reason to concern.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:53 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm pretty sure Schneider will start against Edmonton, though.
It's clear you know your team better than the rest of us.

Clearly.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
It's clear you know your team better than the rest of us.

Clearly.
I was wrong, if that's what you wanted to hear.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:18 PM
palefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
And they're all morons. Price allowed a field goal against Vancouver and nearly twenty goals total in Montreal's western campaign. He's come a long way don't you think? One bad game in this condensed mess is not going to have large ramifications. If Schneider loses the job to Luongo, then we have reason to concern.
Even if one game were to make a difference in Gillis's thinking, they still wouldn't be making sense. If Schneider is struggling, that makes it harder for the Canucks to trade Luongo, ergo they need a better return if they're going to do it.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Wizeman*

its going to take a while for our society to get used to the 15 min news cycle. There used to be a 3 day news cycle, then cable came along to make it a 24 hr news cycle .

Now with the internet , everyone can chat as it happens. The information is everywhere across the entire planet instantly. By time an hour goes by, there have 30,000 opinions on any given event and its all talked out already.

It hasnt even been 18 hrs since the end of the game and Schneider is doomed, AV is an idiot for pulling him, Luongo regained all the fans on his side, and Gillis' ability to trade either one is somehow now even slimmer.

Now THATS one hell of a quick news cycle.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Rod Buskas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD12 View Post
Except....you know...... Montreal has zero defence and was pretty much guaranteed last in the East
Ditto for anaheim

Old
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
I in the Eye

From a Canuck perspective, I guess the desired result from this little experiment, is that the Leafs play really well (as a team) but are let down by goaltending over the course of the season... This should keep Toronto in the market for Luongo, to deal with directly or (more preferably, IMO) drive the price up for another team... If Toronto as a team plays poorly, then the argument that Luongo could or should help, just decreases... The team, as a whole, is ****ed... so, why pay for Luongo who will just get in the way of a re-build?

Trying to put myself in a Leaf fan perspective (those that want Luongo), I guess the desired result from this little experiment is that Luongo plays poorly (so that his price is low) and that Schneider plays well (so that Luongo is available)...

Leaf fans who don't want Luongo don't really care what happens in Vancouver, I assume... Canuck fans, however, have a vested interest with how well Toronto does, because if playing really well, yet let down by goaltending, it's reasonable to assume that they'd be interested in a Luongo during the offseason or deadline...

How should desired results be tracked? After each game both teams play, after a week at a time, after a month? What's a reasonable amount of games to determine how things are going with the experiment? After each game, does Luongo's worth change - or, are there other variables that may explain results on a micro-game-by-game basis? Same with Toronto's results... Is it worthwhile to make judgements after each game?

Leaf fans who want Luongo cheap, I assume, will be watching tonight, and want Luongo to play poorly... Leaf fans who don't want to get Luongo, I assume don't care how Luongo does either way tonight...

Regardless, as a Canuck fan, I hope that the Leafs play perfect hockey, except for the goaltending... Have a 1st round draft pick around 13th or 15th, and probably being in the market for a Luongo at the deadline or draft... Personally, I don't think Luongo is going to Toronto at all... But with Toronto in the mix, it can only help the eventual price to Florida (or elsewhere)... I'll personally check in after each week, see how things are brewing in Toronto...

Last edited by I in the Eye: 01-20-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 03:50 PM
The Overseer*

A question to all of the hysterical people who think last night changed Luongo's value:
If Schneider plays well in his next start, does Luongo's trade value go way up?
Be consistent, fellas.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Still. Says something in my opinion.
Yeah it says, it was one game, and will not change the mind of smart hockey peoples minds.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:14 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
A question to all of the hysterical people who think last night changed Luongo's value:
If Schneider plays well in his next start, does Luongo's trade value go way up?
Be consistent, fellas.
You're missing the point entirely.

Schneider ******** the bed means Luongo will likely not be traded; it has nothing to do with Luongo's value.

If Schneider plays well and Luongo is considered an asset the Canucks can afford to trade; his value will actually dip lower than currently.

The only way Luongo's value increases; is if he is bought out of his current horrible contract. The main thing dictating his value at this present moment. No one wants to touch that contract; including Vancouver.

I'm not sure how you came to that assessment; as there is absolutely nothing to dictate an increase in Schneider's play; increasing Luongo's worth.

I'm not investing much interest in the result of that one game personally; the Leafs are also not raising their offer. That is regardless how the Leafs perform. There is no pressure in Toronto to acquire Luongo; there is more pressure not to make that trade.

No matter what the Vancouver media is trying to sell you all over there; make no mistake. The Leafs have their best offer on the table; that will not change. If you get a better fit; make the deal or keep Luongo. Nothing will change Nonis' offer; as Luongo still has the same horrible contract that has his value as low as it is right now.

The mistake you are all making is that Luongo's current value is not dictated by his current abilities. Everyone knows what Luongo is capable of doing. What actually dictates his value is that gargantuan contract; going into a dip in the salary cap. A contract that will see a goalie approaching his mid-thirties; stick on your team for a decade. A contract that solidifies the need to be damn sure Luongo is a starter for a decade; as that is not the price tag of a back up.

This conversation is going in circles. The Leafs' offer is on the table; the only change that will happen to this offer is it coming off the table or lowering. Now that you are once again made aware of this fact; feel free to deal with the multiple other teams Gillis tried desperately to leak to the media that are supposedly interested.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:18 PM
palindrom

Last night the asking price for Luongo went up...

The bidding Price? Brobovsky, Scriven, Theodore, Brodeur, Nabokov, all did well...

so the bidding price went down.

Then, the gap is now larger than before and no trade on the horizon!

Last edited by palindrom: 01-20-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
No matter what the Vancouver media is trying to sell you all over there; make no mistake. The Leafs have their best offer on the table; that will not change. If you get a better fit; make the deal or keep Luongo. Nothing will change Nonis' offer; as Luongo still has the same horrible contract that has his value as low as it is right now.
Is that a hill you will die on?

Old
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Last night the asking price for Luongo went up...

The bidding Price? Brobovsky, Scriven, Theodore, Brodeur, Nabokov, all did well...

so the bidding price went down.

Then, the gap is now larger than before and no trade on the horizon!
I agree with this.

Holtby maybe, but even I'll admit it's pushing it.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Players value won't change after one game lol, anybody who is suggesting that is grasping at straws. I didn't catch the whole canuck game last night, I missed the last period, but from what I seen the goals scored on Schneider weren't easy shots, minus the one that was shot from the blueline by Souray(i think??).

I still think its the canucks best interest to keep both goalies until next summer, easing Schneider in while giving him the majority of the games. I also think its in the leafs best interest to stay away from Luongo entirely. Hes a great goalie don't get me wrong, but he would be the oldest player on this team, and it would be stupid to sacrifice your young players for a goalie who could have only a couple good years left. He might have more years then a couple, but it's not worth the risk from a leafs perspective to gamble their young players. I think Florida/Chicago etc could give a better and more suitable package then Toronto could anyway.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:30 PM
longchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
It's. Been. One. Game.
Which is why I said *may*.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
From a Canuck perspective, I guess the desired result from this little experiment, is that the Leafs play really well (as a team) but are let down by goaltending over the course of the season... This should keep Toronto in the market for Luongo, to deal with directly or (more preferably, IMO) drive the price up for another team... If Toronto as a team plays poorly, then the argument that Luongo could or should help, just decreases... The team, as a whole, is ****ed... so, why pay for Luongo who will just get in the way of a re-build?

Trying to put myself in a Leaf fan perspective (those that want Luongo), I guess the desired result from this little experiment is that Luongo plays poorly (so that his price is low) and that Schneider plays well (so that Luongo is available)...

Leaf fans who don't want Luongo don't really care what happens in Vancouver, I assume... Canuck fans, however, have a vested interest with how well Toronto does, because if playing really well, yet let down by goaltending, it's reasonable to assume that they'd be interested in a Luongo during the offseason or deadline...

How should desired results be tracked? After each game both teams play, after a week at a time, after a month? What's a reasonable amount of games to determine how things are going with the experiment? After each game, does Luongo's worth change - or, are there other variables that may explain results on a micro-game-by-game basis? Same with Toronto's results... Is it worthwhile to make judgements after each game?

Leaf fans who want Luongo cheap, I assume, will be watching tonight, and want Luongo to play poorly... Leaf fans who don't want to get Luongo, I assume don't care how Luongo does either way tonight...

Regardless, as a Canuck fan, I hope that the Leafs play perfect hockey, except for the goaltending... Have a 1st round draft pick around 13th or 15th, and probably being in the market for a Luongo at the deadline or draft... Personally, I don't think Luongo is going to Toronto at all... But with Toronto in the mix, it can only help the eventual price to Florida (or elsewhere)... I'll personally check in after each week, see how things are brewing in Toronto...
From A Leafs fan perspective...you forgot one option:

The Leafs play well and the goaltending is good.

Closed Thread