HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 01:54 AM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh Athletic Club select C, Jean Beliveau

Old
01-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Not that anyone probably cares, but I've decided to devote my energy to researching a few players in this draft, as I did in the last draft. I just want to make it known up front so as to avoid being accused of collusion with any of the active GMs. I've identified three pre-war greats who intrigue me, and about whom I feel not enough is known. One is an all-time pantheon type who remains something of an enigma, one is more of a mid-round scoringline guy who was a big star in his day, and the last is a high-end bottom-6 player. I'll point them out when they come along. I will probably do a 4th player, but I haven't yet identified any persons of interest beyond the first three.

No guarantees that what I find will be all positive, or even positive on the whole relative to our current opinions about these players. I will post everything that I find of any relevance, and do my best to put the players in the context of their times and provide a good, longitudinal view of their careers. I'll probably revive the Dirt thread for this purpose, so don't anybody expect me to put together a nicely formatted ATD bio.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:58 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Not that anyone probably cares, but I've decided to devote my energy to researching a few players in this draft, as I did in the last draft. I just want to make it known up front so as to avoid being accused of collusion with any of the active GMs. I've identified three pre-war greats who intrigue me, and about whom I feel not enough is known. One is an all-time pantheon type who remains something of an enigma, one is more of a mid-round scoringline guy who was a big star in his day, and the last is a high-end bottom-6 player. I'll point them out when they come along. I will probably do a 4th player, but I haven't yet identified any persons of interest beyond the first three.

No guarantees that what I find will be all positive, or even positive on the whole relative to our current opinions about these players. I will post everything that I find of any relevance, and do my best to put the players in the context of their times and provide a good, longitudinal view of their careers. I'll probably revive the Dirt thread for this purpose, so don't anybody expect me to put together a nicely formatted ATD bio.
I'm interested. Always interested in the "comma but ..." part of pre-expansion / pre-WW2 sports history because I feel like modern readers would find the general tone of sports writing in those eras unrecognizably positive. One-dimensional, lazy, selfish scorers existed in 1933, but I don't feel like very many newspapers critically looked at anything more than the "WOW!" of his offensive abilities.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Nalyd Psycho

I'm always interested in your dishing of the dirt. I have a couple players from the era I may want to draft so I can dig up some research.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:04 PM
jkrx

Quote:

I've recently started to gather data for Swedish players (not just ATD standards though) if you or anyone else have north-american qoutes, articles, interviews it would be highly appriciated as I'm mostly working with native sources with the help of my grandson.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Hawkman
Deacon Blues

I have a player who may never have been under rated by the ATD, but I think he is in hockey history. Whenever he is picked I'm going to honor him not as a value pick, but as an under rated player in hockey history. I'm going to make him my first annual gmm's pick of the draft.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I've recently started to gather data for Swedish players (not just ATD standards though) if you or anyone else have north-american qoutes, articles, interviews it would be highly appriciated as I'm mostly working with native sources with the help of my grandson.
Sure thing. I can't say for sure if I have any information without knowing who the player is, but point him out to me when he is drafted (or you can simply send me a PM) and I'll give you whatever I can find.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Sure thing. I can't say for sure if I have any information without knowing who the player is, but point him out to me when he is drafted (or you can simply send me a PM) and I'll give you whatever I can find.
Thank you, I'll do that.

By the way, to anyone else currently involved in the draft, me and my grandson is looking through archives of info on swedish players so don't hestitate so send a pm to see if we have some additional info to add to your bios.

I will post my finding after the ATD as to not distrupt anything but when a player is drafted I'm happy to share whatever I've found to that GM.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Thank you, I'll do that.

By the way, to anyone else currently involved in the draft, me and my grandson is looking through archives of info on swedish players so don't hestitate so send a pm to see if we have some additional info to add to your bios.

I will post my finding after the ATD as to not distrupt anything but when a player is drafted I'm happy to share whatever I've found to that GM.
aren't you the grandson? lol

Old
01-20-2013, 03:08 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
aren't you the grandson? lol
methinks hobnobs forgot to sign out of his account on his granddad's computer.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
methinks hobnobs forgot to sign out of his account on his granddad's computer.
Correct, we are doing some research together on the swedes. We promise that there will be no theme teams tho.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
SchultzSquared

There will be some differences of opinion about this!!! BUT Kenora goes away from previous ATDS with Nicklas Lidstrom, D.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:38 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
There will be some differences of opinion about this!!! BUT Kenora goes away from previous ATDS with Nicklas Lidstrom, D.
Innnntttterrrresting.

I think there's certainly an argument for why he should be here. I would have taken one other DMan over him, but I don't think it's a bad pick by any means.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

First time Lidstrom ever went in the top 5 dmen here and it's about freaking time....

But I wouldn't have taken him quite yet.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:44 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Wow!

Old
01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
First time Lidstrom ever went in the top 5 dmen here and it's about freaking time....

Wasn't he fifth last year?

01-20-2013, 03:49 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I think he was or the other guy got picked right before him.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:49 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Pretty sure he was drafted 6th as usual last year. No idea why that other guy kept being drafted over him.

edit: yup, he was 6th among defensemen last year, just like usual.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
DoMakc

Quote:
That's makes actually my choice easy.

HC Donbass is proud to select with its first pick Stanislav Guoth aka Stan Mikita, C

Last edited by DoMakc: 01-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:06 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Mikita was the guy I was trying to trade up for. Lots of surprises thus far.

01-20-2013, 04:14 PM
papershoes

Quote:

Excited to add Lidstrom to the Thistles roster. And, while I agree there may have been a couple better picks in an all-time sense, Lidstrom was the ideal cornerstone for the team that Schultz and I are looking to build.

In my opinion, Lidstrom is one of the easiest players to build around in the draft. He excels both offensively and defensively, is a great leader, and plays a smart, subtle game. He also brings a strong playoff resume and experience to the Thistles. And, while he certainly doesn't have the physicality of the other options but, will spend very little time in the penalty box, meaning we'll have him on the ice whenever needed.

It's also nice to shake things up a bit sometimes...

Old
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
Excited to add Lidstrom to the Thistles roster. And, while I agree there may have been a couple better picks in an all-time sense, Lidstrom was the ideal cornerstone for the team that Schultz and I are looking to build.

In my opinion, Lidstrom is one of the easiest players to build around in the draft. He excels both offensively and defensively, is a great leader, and plays a smart, subtle game. He also brings a strong playoff resume and experience to the Thistles. And, while he certainly doesn't have the physicality of the other options but, will spend very little time in the penalty box, meaning we'll have him on the ice whenever needed.

It's also nice to shake things up a bit sometimes...
Lidstrom is awesome, a flawless defenceman and he can hold his own as the #7 pick. I would take one defenceman that is still out there over him though, a real rugged guy wink wink nudge nudge.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

The Montreal Canadiens are extremely honored and thrilled to welcome one of the greatest defenseman (and player) of all-time in:

Ray Bourque #77

A very quick overview of Ray Bourque's achievements below:

- 1579 points in 1612 regular season games
- 180 points in 214 playoff games
- 5 Norris Trophies
- All Star Teams: (1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 2nd , 2nd , 2nd , 2nd , 2nd , 2nd)
- 1 Stanley Cup

Bio to come later of course.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Pretty sure he was drafted 6th as usual last year. No idea why that other guy kept being drafted over him.

edit: yup, he was 6th among defensemen last year, just like usual.
Dang! And I had the very next pick and really really wanted him.

Oh well, this year I get to build around an even better defenseman.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:29 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The incessant Lidstrom vs Bourque comparisons on the history board have led me to conclude the following:

Even strength offense: moderate edge Bourque
Even strength defense: slight edge Lidstrom
Even strength overall: slight edge Bourque

Powerplay: even

Penalty kill: very small advantage Bourque because he's tougher in front of the net

Overall, a small but clear edge to Bourque (mainly because of even strength offense). But the difference is small enough where picking Lidstrom first isn't that big a deal.

Closed Thread