HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread I

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 01:54 AM
  #101
Rob Scuderi
Registered User
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,598
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh Athletic Club select C, Jean Beliveau

Rob Scuderi is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:06 AM
  #102
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Not that anyone probably cares, but I've decided to devote my energy to researching a few players in this draft, as I did in the last draft. I just want to make it known up front so as to avoid being accused of collusion with any of the active GMs. I've identified three pre-war greats who intrigue me, and about whom I feel not enough is known. One is an all-time pantheon type who remains something of an enigma, one is more of a mid-round scoringline guy who was a big star in his day, and the last is a high-end bottom-6 player. I'll point them out when they come along. I will probably do a 4th player, but I haven't yet identified any persons of interest beyond the first three.

No guarantees that what I find will be all positive, or even positive on the whole relative to our current opinions about these players. I will post everything that I find of any relevance, and do my best to put the players in the context of their times and provide a good, longitudinal view of their careers. I'll probably revive the Dirt thread for this purpose, so don't anybody expect me to put together a nicely formatted ATD bio.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 09:58 AM
  #103
ck26
Alcoholab User
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 6,741
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Not that anyone probably cares, but I've decided to devote my energy to researching a few players in this draft, as I did in the last draft. I just want to make it known up front so as to avoid being accused of collusion with any of the active GMs. I've identified three pre-war greats who intrigue me, and about whom I feel not enough is known. One is an all-time pantheon type who remains something of an enigma, one is more of a mid-round scoringline guy who was a big star in his day, and the last is a high-end bottom-6 player. I'll point them out when they come along. I will probably do a 4th player, but I haven't yet identified any persons of interest beyond the first three.

No guarantees that what I find will be all positive, or even positive on the whole relative to our current opinions about these players. I will post everything that I find of any relevance, and do my best to put the players in the context of their times and provide a good, longitudinal view of their careers. I'll probably revive the Dirt thread for this purpose, so don't anybody expect me to put together a nicely formatted ATD bio.
I'm interested. Always interested in the "comma but ..." part of pre-expansion / pre-WW2 sports history because I feel like modern readers would find the general tone of sports writing in those eras unrecognizably positive. One-dimensional, lazy, selfish scorers existed in 1933, but I don't feel like very many newspapers critically looked at anything more than the "WOW!" of his offensive abilities.

ck26 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
  #104
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
I'm always interested in your dishing of the dirt. I have a couple players from the era I may want to draft so I can dig up some research.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:04 PM
  #105
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Not that anyone probably cares, but I've decided to devote my energy to researching a few players in this draft, as I did in the last draft. I just want to make it known up front so as to avoid being accused of collusion with any of the active GMs. I've identified three pre-war greats who intrigue me, and about whom I feel not enough is known. One is an all-time pantheon type who remains something of an enigma, one is more of a mid-round scoringline guy who was a big star in his day, and the last is a high-end bottom-6 player. I'll point them out when they come along. I will probably do a 4th player, but I haven't yet identified any persons of interest beyond the first three.

No guarantees that what I find will be all positive, or even positive on the whole relative to our current opinions about these players. I will post everything that I find of any relevance, and do my best to put the players in the context of their times and provide a good, longitudinal view of their careers. I'll probably revive the Dirt thread for this purpose, so don't anybody expect me to put together a nicely formatted ATD bio.
I've recently started to gather data for Swedish players (not just ATD standards though) if you or anyone else have north-american qoutes, articles, interviews it would be highly appriciated as I'm mostly working with native sources with the help of my grandson.

jkrx is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
  #106
Hawkman
Moderator
Deacon Blues
 
Hawkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,107
vCash: 500
I have a player who may never have been under rated by the ATD, but I think he is in hockey history. Whenever he is picked I'm going to honor him not as a value pick, but as an under rated player in hockey history. I'm going to make him my first annual gmm's pick of the draft.

Hawkman is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 01:05 PM
  #107
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I've recently started to gather data for Swedish players (not just ATD standards though) if you or anyone else have north-american qoutes, articles, interviews it would be highly appriciated as I'm mostly working with native sources with the help of my grandson.
Sure thing. I can't say for sure if I have any information without knowing who the player is, but point him out to me when he is drafted (or you can simply send me a PM) and I'll give you whatever I can find.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
  #108
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Sure thing. I can't say for sure if I have any information without knowing who the player is, but point him out to me when he is drafted (or you can simply send me a PM) and I'll give you whatever I can find.
Thank you, I'll do that.

By the way, to anyone else currently involved in the draft, me and my grandson is looking through archives of info on swedish players so don't hestitate so send a pm to see if we have some additional info to add to your bios.

I will post my finding after the ATD as to not distrupt anything but when a player is drafted I'm happy to share whatever I've found to that GM.

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:01 PM
  #109
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,827
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Thank you, I'll do that.

By the way, to anyone else currently involved in the draft, me and my grandson is looking through archives of info on swedish players so don't hestitate so send a pm to see if we have some additional info to add to your bios.

I will post my finding after the ATD as to not distrupt anything but when a player is drafted I'm happy to share whatever I've found to that GM.
aren't you the grandson? lol

Jafar is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:08 PM
  #110
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
aren't you the grandson? lol
methinks hobnobs forgot to sign out of his account on his granddad's computer.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:13 PM
  #111
Hobnobs
Pinko
 
Hobnobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
methinks hobnobs forgot to sign out of his account on his granddad's computer.
Correct, we are doing some research together on the swedes. We promise that there will be no theme teams tho.

Hobnobs is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
  #112
SchultzSquared
Registered User
 
SchultzSquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,623
vCash: 500
There will be some differences of opinion about this!!! BUT Kenora goes away from previous ATDS with Nicklas Lidstrom, D.

SchultzSquared is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:38 PM
  #113
vecens24
Registered User
 
vecens24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
There will be some differences of opinion about this!!! BUT Kenora goes away from previous ATDS with Nicklas Lidstrom, D.
Innnntttterrrresting.

I think there's certainly an argument for why he should be here. I would have taken one other DMan over him, but I don't think it's a bad pick by any means.

vecens24 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
  #114
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,801
vCash: 500
First time Lidstrom ever went in the top 5 dmen here and it's about freaking time....

But I wouldn't have taken him quite yet.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:44 PM
  #115
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
There will be some differences of opinion about this!!! BUT Kenora goes away from previous ATDS with Nicklas Lidstrom, D.
Wow!

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
  #116
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
First time Lidstrom ever went in the top 5 dmen here and it's about freaking time....

But I wouldn't have taken him quite yet.
Wasn't he fifth last year?

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:49 PM
  #117
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Wasn't he fifth last year?
I think he was or the other guy got picked right before him.

jkrx is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:49 PM
  #118
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Wasn't he fifth last year?
Pretty sure he was drafted 6th as usual last year. No idea why that other guy kept being drafted over him.

edit: yup, he was 6th among defensemen last year, just like usual.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
  #119
DoMakc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
There will be some differences of opinion about this!!! BUT Kenora goes away from previous ATDS with Nicklas Lidstrom, D.
That's makes actually my choice easy.


HC Donbass is proud to select with its first pick Stanislav Guoth aka Stan Mikita, C


Last edited by DoMakc: 01-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
DoMakc is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:06 PM
  #120
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,007
vCash: 500
Mikita was the guy I was trying to trade up for. Lots of surprises thus far.

__________________
tony d is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:14 PM
  #121
papershoes
Registered User
 
papershoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kenora, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
First time Lidstrom ever went in the top 5 dmen here and it's about freaking time....

But I wouldn't have taken him quite yet.
Excited to add Lidstrom to the Thistles roster. And, while I agree there may have been a couple better picks in an all-time sense, Lidstrom was the ideal cornerstone for the team that Schultz and I are looking to build.

In my opinion, Lidstrom is one of the easiest players to build around in the draft. He excels both offensively and defensively, is a great leader, and plays a smart, subtle game. He also brings a strong playoff resume and experience to the Thistles. And, while he certainly doesn't have the physicality of the other options but, will spend very little time in the penalty box, meaning we'll have him on the ice whenever needed.

It's also nice to shake things up a bit sometimes...

papershoes is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
  #122
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post
Excited to add Lidstrom to the Thistles roster. And, while I agree there may have been a couple better picks in an all-time sense, Lidstrom was the ideal cornerstone for the team that Schultz and I are looking to build.

In my opinion, Lidstrom is one of the easiest players to build around in the draft. He excels both offensively and defensively, is a great leader, and plays a smart, subtle game. He also brings a strong playoff resume and experience to the Thistles. And, while he certainly doesn't have the physicality of the other options but, will spend very little time in the penalty box, meaning we'll have him on the ice whenever needed.

It's also nice to shake things up a bit sometimes...
Lidstrom is awesome, a flawless defenceman and he can hold his own as the #7 pick. I would take one defenceman that is still out there over him though, a real rugged guy wink wink nudge nudge.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:24 PM
  #123
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,827
vCash: 50
The Montreal Canadiens are extremely honored and thrilled to welcome one of the greatest defenseman (and player) of all-time in:

Ray Bourque #77



A very quick overview of Ray Bourque's achievements below:

- 1579 points in 1612 regular season games
- 180 points in 214 playoff games
- 5 Norris Trophies
- All Star Teams: (1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 1st , 2nd , 2nd , 2nd , 2nd , 2nd , 2nd)
- 1 Stanley Cup

Bio to come later of course.

Jafar is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
  #124
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Pretty sure he was drafted 6th as usual last year. No idea why that other guy kept being drafted over him.

edit: yup, he was 6th among defensemen last year, just like usual.
Dang! And I had the very next pick and really really wanted him.

Oh well, this year I get to build around an even better defenseman.

Nalyd Psycho is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:29 PM
  #125
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,801
vCash: 500
The incessant Lidstrom vs Bourque comparisons on the history board have led me to conclude the following:

Even strength offense: moderate edge Bourque
Even strength defense: slight edge Lidstrom
Even strength overall: slight edge Bourque

Powerplay: even

Penalty kill: very small advantage Bourque because he's tougher in front of the net

Overall, a small but clear edge to Bourque (mainly because of even strength offense). But the difference is small enough where picking Lidstrom first isn't that big a deal.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.