HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sundin vs Alfie

View Poll Results: Who is better Daniel Alfredsson or Mats Sundin?
Mats Sundin 117 63.93%
Daniel Alfredsson 66 36.07%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
  #76
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,998
vCash: 500
One is in the HOF, one is not. Not a fair comparison until alfie retires

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:40 PM
  #77
Sundinisagod
tanknation
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 7,958
vCash: 500
Sundin but I have to admit it's close.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
  #78
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
lol Alfredsson probably spent more time on a line with Havlat and Hossa than Sundin spent with some of the players you listed (In other words, Sundin basically didn't play with them). I don't really think Sundin playing with 50 point players helps your argument anyways. You also forgot to mention Yashin, who was a decent player back in the day.
Thanks for at least acknowledging that you don't actually know in your own post. Alfredsson rarely ever played on the same line as those two players and for most of the time he played with Spezza and Heatley the coach was trying to take him off the line but kept going back to it since they failed to produce without him.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
  #79
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
+2 seasons

Offensively= Close but slight edge to Sundin
Defensively= Alfie ainec
All around=Alfie
Leader=Alfie
Importance to team= Alfie
So if Alfredsson is a better leader, why was Sundin the captain of all the gold medal winning Swedish teams?

Why could Alfredsson never lead his team past Sundin's team in the playoffs?

As far as defense go, I best remember this stellar defensive play when I think of Alfie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpr8moQBPs

I will give Dan some credit, he was much better at shooting pucks at opposing players

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:10 PM
  #80
goleafsgo87*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
Mats Sundin carried the leafs for many years on his back as a great leader and captain with class. Id say Sundin but Alfie is going to be a HOF player as well.

goleafsgo87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:17 PM
  #81
newerabegins
Registered User
 
newerabegins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
So if Alfredsson is a better leader, why was Sundin the captain of all the gold medal winning Swedish teams?

Why could Alfredsson never lead his team past Sundin's team in the playoffs?

As far as defense go, I best remember this stellar defensive play when I think of Alfie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEpr8moQBPs

I will give Dan some credit, he was much better at shooting pucks at opposing players
alfie's succes versus sundin's team means nothing when talking about leadership and importance to his team. something that does though is alfies team making the finals with alfie leading the playoffs in goals and points and sundin never leading his team that far.

newerabegins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
  #82
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
alfie's succes versus sundin's team means nothing when talking about leadership and importance to his team. something that does though is alfies team making the finals with alfie leading the playoffs in goals and points and sundin never leading his team that far.

Considering we are comparing 2 players against each other. Yes I think it means quite a bit when one captain could never beat the other captain when it mattered. And I think it means more than Ottawa making the finals ONCE (in a very weak Eastern conference that year btw) Toronto made the Semi's twice during Sundin's time here. A couple of extra wins is not going to even this out sir

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:26 PM
  #83
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Considering we are comparing 2 players against each other. Yes I think it means quite a bit when one captain could never beat the other captain when it mattered. And I think it means more than Ottawa making the finals ONCE (in a very weak Eastern conference that year btw) Toronto made the Semi's twice during Sundin's time here. A couple of extra wins is not going to even this out sir
Oh that gold Medal team that Alfie lead in points? Yeah I remember that one.

Oh by the way, Sundin was injured for almost half of those games against Ottawa.

Oh and also, Alfie lead his team to the semi's twice as well, only difference is he made it past them once.

And to top it all off at least Alfie didn't take his frustration out on his fans.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:27 PM
  #84
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,046
vCash: 500
Sundin, not close IMO.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
  #85
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
And to top it all off at least Alfie didn't take his frustration out on his fans.
sundin did?

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  #86
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
sundin did?
I assume he's either talking about the stick launch or declining a trade and then completely going against his reasons less than a year later.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:15 PM
  #87
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
I assume he's either talking about the stick launch or declining a trade and then completely going against his reasons less than a year later.
That doesn't make Alfie a better player.

I think the Sens fans just need to quit it with this. The entire NHL, and the majority of 29 NHL team's fans know who the better player is.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:38 PM
  #88
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
That doesn't make Alfie a better player.

I think the Sens fans just need to quit it with this. The entire NHL, and the majority of 29 NHL team's fans know who the better player is.
Quit what? The OP is a Leafs fan.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
  #89
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
I assume he's either talking about the stick launch or declining a trade and then completely going against his reasons less than a year later.
You are correct with the stick launch.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:54 PM
  #90
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
That doesn't make Alfie a better player.

I think the Sens fans just need to quit it with this. The entire NHL, and the majority of 29 NHL team's fans know who the better player is.
Well apparently it does according to the guy who I was responding too.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:27 PM
  #91
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Well apparently it does according to the guy who I was responding too.
98-55

Not a close poll at all. You should not have brought up the lack of Sundin in those series. It makes the whole team look worse when you can't beat a team without their best player.

You know you don't have a fight when you use the stick thing against him. Shooting a puck at a player intentionally is way worse than being frustrated and smashing a stick. Hell Emery used to smash his sticks every goal against him. Yes the stick went into the stands but everyone knows it was unintentional (Even those dreaded Sens fans). When Alfredsson mocked him about it during a rout...it showed Alfredsson's class level yet again. He got his though a couple years down the road (Mark Bell anyone?)

Why don't we mention the division in the dressing room for the Senators in which Alfy was a big part of back in 07-08? Yes that's leadership!

How about all of his predictions? In which he looked like a fool

How about his playoffs stats 111-47-43-90 compared to Sundin's 92-38-44-82

He isn't even a point a game guy in the regular season unlike Mats

As much as I hate Mats Sundin, there is really not an argument for Alfredsson being better at anything other than maybe cheap shots

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
  #92
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
You are correct with the stick launch.
The stick launch was more of a passion and frustration moment. There are a lot of dark moment in Alfredsson's past that we can allude to. I will only make reference to one just so you know that I'm not making it up, but there are a few.



Therefore, talking about stuff like class really isn't in Alfredsson's favour in this discussion. Although I am well aware that this is not a large representation of him.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:53 PM
  #93
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
98-55

Not a close poll at all. You should not have brought up the lack of Sundin in those series. It makes the whole team look worse when you can't beat a team without their best player.

You know you don't have a fight when you use the stick thing against him. Shooting a puck at a player intentionally is way worse than being frustrated and smashing a stick. Hell Emery used to smash his sticks every goal against him. Yes the stick went into the stands but everyone knows it was unintentional (Even those dreaded Sens fans). When Alfredsson mocked him about it during a rout...it showed Alfredsson's class level yet again. He got his though a couple years down the road (Mark Bell anyone?)

Why don't we mention the division in the dressing room for the Senators in which Alfy was a big part of back in 07-08? Yes that's leadership!

How about all of his predictions? In which he looked like a fool

How about his playoffs stats 111-47-43-90 compared to Sundin's 92-38-44-82

He isn't even a point a game guy in the regular season unlike Mats

As much as I hate Mats Sundin, there is really not an argument for Alfredsson being better at anything other than maybe cheap shots
It's great how you try to take the high road about class and then brag about the Mark Bell hit.

That hit came after Toronto was eliminated from the playoffs and Toronto fans cheered as Alfie laid on the ice.

Get over the stick joke, I'm sure he and Mats had a good laugh over it.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
  #94
kamosko
Ginger Jesus
 
kamosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Girouxsalem
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,451
vCash: 50
Sundin

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:09 PM
  #95
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
98-55

Not a close poll at all. You should not have brought up the lack of Sundin in those series. It makes the whole team look worse when you can't beat a team without their best player.

You know you don't have a fight when you use the stick thing against him. Shooting a puck at a player intentionally is way worse than being frustrated and smashing a stick. Hell Emery used to smash his sticks every goal against him. Yes the stick went into the stands but everyone knows it was unintentional (Even those dreaded Sens fans). When Alfredsson mocked him about it during a rout...it showed Alfredsson's class level yet again. He got his though a couple years down the road (Mark Bell anyone?)

Why don't we mention the division in the dressing room for the Senators in which Alfy was a big part of back in 07-08? Yes that's leadership!

How about all of his predictions? In which he looked like a fool

How about his playoffs stats 111-47-43-90 compared to Sundin's 92-38-44-82

He isn't even a point a game guy in the regular season unlike Mats

As much as I hate Mats Sundin, there is really not an argument for Alfredsson being better at anything other than maybe cheap shots
This poll means nothing as there are obviously more Leaf fans on this forum then Sens.

Sundin smashed a stick and threw it in the stands, clearly overreacting, does that show his leadership qualities? Alfredsson mocked him because they're friends, showing his sense of sportsmanship. The ducks played dirty in their series and Alfredsson clear;y said he was dumping the puck, even if it was intentional, who gives a ****? Neids slashed Peter Worrell in the head and got one of the longest suspensions in NHL history for it. (Btw your little jab at Emery doesn't offend me, you'll have to try harder, after all, at least he didn't destroy hotel rooms and bribe the police 2 billion dollars)

Finals Appearances by Alfredsson: 1
Finals Appearances by Sundin: 0

All his predictions? You mean one?

Alfie had a lockout in the middle of his prime so that could've majorly effected his ppg.

Alfredsson hit Tucker from behind once, and he deserved it?.

Erik Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
  #96
SenorDingDong
Registered User
 
SenorDingDong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
This poll means nothing as there are obviously more Leaf fans on this forum then Sens.

Sundin smashed a stick and threw it in the stands, clearly overreacting, does that show his leadership qualities? Alfredsson mocked him because they're friends, showing his sense of sportsmanship. The ducks played dirty in their series and Alfredsson clear;y said he was dumping the puck, even if it was intentional, who gives a ****? Neids slashed Peter Worrell in the head and got one of the longest suspensions in NHL history for it. (Btw your little jab at Emery doesn't offend me, you'll have to try harder, after all, at least he didn't destroy hotel rooms and bribe the police 2 billion dollars)

Finals Appearances by Alfredsson: 1
Finals Appearances by Sundin: 0

All his predictions? You mean one?

Alfie had a lockout in the middle of his prime so that could've majorly effected his ppg.

Alfredsson hit Tucker from behind once, and he deserved it?.
I must applaud you on your logic sir. Its simply infallible.

SenorDingDong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:23 PM
  #97
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Alfy is extremely overrated IMO. Sundin.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:42 PM
  #98
Hennig
It was 4-1.
 
Hennig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Alfy is extremely overrated IMO. Sundin.
this

Reading Sens fans only argument "but alfy has been to the SCF" is pretty amusing. Also no fan on here can factually say who was the better leader. But with Sundin captaining the Sweden team while Alfy was on it can be used as a good indicator.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:54 PM
  #99
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
this

Reading Sens fans only argument "but alfy has been to the SCF" is pretty amusing. Also no fan on here can factually say who was the better leader. But with Sundin captaining the Sweden team while Alfy was on it can be used as a good indicator.
Please sir, provide us with your fantastic reasons for Sundin being better. The captain one was already used multiple times but everyone seems to ignore the fact that Alfie outscored Sundin on route to the gold medal and has played more olympic games and scored more olympic points than Sundin.

Sundin was established as a leader and all star for quite some time before Alfie developed into the leader he has become so it was only natural that Sweden would select the more experienced guy to captain the team. By your same logic, the fact that Yashin captained the Sens over Alfie would be a good indicator when comparing the two.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:03 PM
  #100
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,757
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
This poll means nothing as there are obviously more Leaf fans on this forum then Sens.


Seems like every teams fans except for Ottawa's are voting for Sundin too

Sundin smashed a stick and threw it in the stands, clearly overreacting, does that show his leadership qualities? Alfredsson mocked him because they're friends, showing his sense of sportsmanship. The ducks played dirty in their series and Alfredsson clear;y said he was dumping the puck, even if it was intentional, who gives a ****? Neids slashed Peter Worrell in the head and got one of the longest suspensions in NHL history for it. (Btw your little jab at Emery doesn't offend me, you'll have to try harder, after all, at least he didn't destroy hotel rooms and bribe the police 2 billion dollars)

How was that a shot at Emery? One of the few Senator players I actually liked or respected. The point that you missed is during the heat of a game stuff happens, if he threw his stick at someone it would be different. Instead the stick went too high. As for your last point....Belfour 2-0 against the Sens, what was Emery's playoff record against the Leafs?

Finals Appearances by Alfredsson: 1
Finals Appearances by Sundin: 0

In head to head Sundin 4 Alfredsson 0

All his predictions? You mean one?

Yes there was only one prediction, I was thinking about his comment after the Leafs beat them in 03 "If Domi wasn't a bleeder, we would have won the series" Well Dan ole boy, maybe you should show your leadership and get your players to stop hitting people from behind. Always excuses with that boy


Alfie had a lockout in the middle of his prime so that could've majorly effected his ppg.

Sundin did too 1995 and a full season when he averaged about 72 points

Alfredsson hit Tucker from behind once, and he deserved it?.

Bell hit Alfredsson cleanly (no suspension), Maybe Dan should keep his head up next time?
This really makes me sick sticking up for Sundin, a player I have learned to despise. But the fact of the matter is pretty simple. Sundin was a better hockey player than Alfredsson and did much more head to head than Alfredsson ever did with not as much around him.

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.