HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1: Ducks @ Canucks GDT pt II: Electric Boogaloo

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 04:18 PM
  #1
Sirquacksalot
Nok
 
Sirquacksalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Mojave
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 500
Game 1: Ducks @ Canucks GDT pt II: Electric Boogaloo

Because we filled up the last one, and don't need the next one yet.



Last edited by snarktacular: 01-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Sirquacksalot is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:22 PM
  #2
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 500
FIRE MURRAY!!!

Jk, great win, and I like the way this roster looks so far. Hope to see Holland and Fowler in the lineup soon.

AngelDuck is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
  #3
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
Just woke up about 2 hours ago, still pumped from the win last night. Kind of a weird game, but we still played pretty well. On to Calgary!

Corey Perry* is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
  #4
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,558
vCash: 50
It's just one game. Damn near an exhibition game. Let's not read too much into it.

Spicy Porkins is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
  #5
Sirquacksalot
Nok
 
Sirquacksalot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Mojave
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
It's just one game. Damn near an exhibition game. Let's not read too much into it.
Ducks are the best team in the NHL and the 100% powerplay is sure to remain as such for 48 games.

Sirquacksalot is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:41 PM
  #6
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
Ducks are the best team in the NHL and the 100% powerplay is sure to remain as such for 48 games.
Unbeatable. We might not ever lose again

AngelDuck is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:44 PM
  #7
DigitalSea
#50in15
 
DigitalSea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,118
vCash: 50
So much sarcasm.

DigitalSea is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:47 PM
  #8
Papaspud
Bring on...
 
Papaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the ketchup!!
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
Ducks are the best team in the NHL and the 100% powerplay is sure to remain as such for 48 games.
This was a huge positive. If we can lead the league on the PP again, watch out.

Papaspud is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 04:54 PM
  #9
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim
 
ShadowDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 150
NHL Tonight doesn't have one play from the Ducks for their top 5 plays from opening night.

Glad to know things are back to normal....

ShadowDuck is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:05 PM
  #10
Static
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 17,548
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
I hope Holland doesnt play at the expense of Rakell. Also, need to allow less than three tomorrow night please. Better point coverage.

Static is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:10 PM
  #11
Ramenbot
Registered User
 
Ramenbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Burbank
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
I don't get Fowler being out with "flu-like symptoms." Why the "like?" They're flu symptoms. That's it.

Ramenbot is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
  #12
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander
 
Lord Flashheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bananaland crapital
Country: Croatia
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
It's just one game. Damn near an exhibition game. Let's not read too much into it.
Especially when Canucks were laughably bad.

Lord Flashheart is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:22 PM
  #13
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenbot View Post
I don't get Fowler being out with "flu-like symptoms." Why the "like?" They're flu symptoms. That's it.
It sounds cooler.

Corey Perry* is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:54 PM
  #14
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,819
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Not saying that he was horrible or anything.

But Bruce said that he wants to test how`ll Rakell respond to NHL.
The game was decided looong time before the end horn, so it was perfect time to test Rakell, but Bruce didn`t and gave Rakell the least minutes.

What i tried to say is, IMO Bruce gave him a look, but didn`t exactly trusted him. Again - it was perfect situation to give Rakell a test in the NHL. If he wasn`t able to keep up phisically, technically or whatever, then he`s not so ready for NHL this year. (Hell, i dunno if Rakell himself imagined him playing an NHL game before the season.)
Boudreau has been one of Rakell's most vocal fans. That being said, if you're expecting a coach to trust a 19 year old in his first game, you're dreaming. Unless a rookie is an absolute phenom, you're just not going to see that type of trust in the first game(especially when there was a shortened training camp and no pre-season games... Rakell hasn't had an opportunity to earn that type of trust). It would be even tougher for Rakell on the 4th line, because he isn't exactly surrounded by top end talent who could make up for any of his mistakes.

I think you have a tendency to jump to conclusions based on stats, because you're unable to see the player. In this case, I think you're jumping to a conclusion based on 10 minutes of ice time, but as bumperkisser said those were all even strength minutes, and that's actually pretty decent for a rookie in his first game. It certainly doesn't suggest Boudreau doesn't trust him. Just that he's easing him in, which is smart coaching.

Quote:
this - NO.
That means that Holland would be better suited for now for that role.
Then, with all due respect, you made your point poorly. Holland may be the better choice for that spot, and I expect Holland will get a chance to show what he's capable of against Calgary. However, if Boudreau picks Rakell over Holland it's not going to be because Holland sucks. It will be because Rakell earned it in Boudreau's eyes. Suggesting that Holland would need to suck to lose it takes any credit away from Rakell.


Last edited by Sojourn: 01-20-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Sojourn is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 05:57 PM
  #15
DuckJet
HF Bad boy
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,145
vCash: 69
Fun game. Not the best we can be but this group is making me hopeful.

Winnik was a great pick up if this play is the norm for him (not the two goals necessarily)

Palmieri was great in his opener. Upgrade over his play in Norfolk.

I think it's a sign of good things to come the way this team played together. Especially the third line.

Rakell wasn't stellar but he fit in as a professional. Pretty much what I expected out of him

DuckJet is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:04 PM
  #16
NEWFowler
hi
 
NEWFowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 50
What really excites me is that we scored 7 goals, with Bobby and Perry having mediocre games. If we can keep our third line as a scoring threat, while keeping a potent powerplay, I fully expect to make the playoffs this year.

NEWFowler is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
  #17
Getz2perry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Fun game. Not the best we can be but this group is making me hopeful.

Winnik was a great pick up if this play is the norm for him (not the two goals necessarily)

Palmieri was great in his opener. Upgrade over his play in Norfolk.

I think it's a sign of good things to come the way this team played together. Especially the third line.

Rakell wasn't stellar but he fit in as a professional. Pretty much what I expected out of him
I think palmieri is going to explode this year specially if he stays with perry and getz, and if ryan stays on 1st line and getz on point for pp... id have to assume palmeiri will be one of the trigger men on the 2nd unit.

Id be pretty pumped if winnick could put up 10/10 and stay + at the end of the season... so far pretty good start for him and his line mates.

Im high on rakell, and id love if he could become a solid face off guy and maybe shorthanded specialist this season that chips in from time to time. Wouldnt mind a 4th line of Holland Rakell Belesky... and if bonino isnt working out on 2nd line we could try holland and rakell there.

Getz2perry is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
  #18
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Boudreau has been one of Rakell's most vocal fans. That being said, if you're expecting a coach to trust a 19 year old in his first game, you're dreaming. Unless a rookie is an absolute phenom, you're just not going to see that type of trust in the first game(especially when there was a shortened training camp and no pre-season games... Rakell hasn't had an opportunity to earn that type of trust). It would be even tougher for Rakell on the 4th line, because he isn't exactly surrounded by top end talent who could make up for any of his mistakes.

I think you have a tendency to jump to conclusions based on stats, because you're unable to see the player. In this case, I think you're jumping to a conclusion based on 10 minutes of ice time, but as bumperkisser said those were all even strength minutes, and that's actually pretty decent for a rookie in his first game. It certainly doesn't suggest Boudreau doesn't trust him. Just that he's easing him in, which is smart coaching.



Then, with all due respect, you made your point poorly. Holland may be the better choice for that spot, and I expect Holland will get a chance to show what he's capable of against Calgary. However, if Boudreau picks Rakell over Holland it's not going to be because Holland sucks. It will be because Rakell earned it in Boudreau's eyes. Suggesting that Holland would need to suck to lose it takes any credit away from Rakell.
So what motivation Bruce have to keep him up? If he can`t handle it, then he have to go to the juniors, especially in this shortened season when every mistake is 2 times worse.

I made my guess just because he played the least minutes in the game (Ducks players only), also on even strenght. I`m not saying that 10 minutes are bad, not sure where you got that.
I was saying that, compared to others, he wasn`t really tested much. So i thought that if Bruce is limiting him in a decided game, Rakell will have much less minutes in a game that`s really tight. So, there`s no point for keeping him up if he plays few minutes a game, he needs more ice time, he`s only 19. So, i think that 4C role is Hollands to loose, even after the game.

Kalvinators is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:29 PM
  #19
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,504
vCash: 500
Rakell - shifts by period

1 - 4 for 2:57 (average shift 0:44)
2 - 4 for 2:23 (average shift 0:35)
3 - 6 for 4:29 (average shift 0:44)

Ducks DVM is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:36 PM
  #20
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,819
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
So what motivation Bruce have to keep him up? If he can`t handle it, then he have to go to the juniors, especially in this shortened season when every mistake is 2 times worse.
Dude, it was one game. If Rakell is going to earn Boudreau's trust, it's going to come over a period of time. Not a period into the first game he's ever played in the NHL.

As for Boudreau's motivation... how about winning hockey games? Or seeing how a young kid improves?

Quote:
I made my guess just because he played the least minutes in the game (Ducks players only), also on even strenght. I`m not saying that 10 minutes are bad, not sure where you got that.
I was saying that, compared to others, he wasn`t really tested much. So i thought that if Bruce is limiting him in a decided game, Rakell will have much less minutes in a game that`s really tight. So, there`s no point for keeping him up if he plays few minutes a game, he needs more ice time, he`s only 19. So, i think that 4C role is Hollands to loose, even after the game.
That's a contradiction. If there is no point in keeping Rakell up because he needs more ice time, why would we put Holland in the exact same situation?

Sojourn is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 06:50 PM
  #21
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I hope Holland doesnt play at the expense of Rakell. Also, need to allow less than three tomorrow night please. Better point coverage.
Same here. He needs more game time. He improved significantly period to period.

Exit Dose is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
  #22
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Dude, it was one game. If Rakell is going to earn Boudreau's trust, it's going to come over a period of time. Not a period into the first game he's ever played in the NHL.

As for Boudreau's motivation... (1) how about winning hockey games? (2)Or seeing how a young kid improves?



That's a contradiction. If there is no point in keeping Rakell up because he needs more ice time, (3)why would we put Holland in the exact same situation?
1 That is, IF Rakell is better than Holland
2.A prospect can also improve in juniors, but getting the big minutes of play. I doubt that playing 4th line minutes in NHL is better than that.
3. Holland is 22 with his 2nd pro season. Rakell is 19 with only junior experience.

Kalvinators is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 07:47 PM
  #23
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,819
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
1 That is, IF Rakell is better than Holland
2.A prospect can also improve in juniors, but getting the big minutes of play. I doubt that playing 4th line minutes in NHL is better than that.
3. Holland is 22 with his 2nd pro season. Rakell is 19 with only junior experience.
1) Rakell doesn't need to be better than Holland. He just needs to be a better player for the role.

2) It depends on the player. I don't think Rakell has a whole lot to gain by staying in the CHL. He plays a mature, professional style game which fits better in a professional league than the more free wheeling CHL style. The only real advantage in the CHL would be in allowing Rakell to grow into his body a bit more, and perhaps to focus on his offense.

3) So? Does that mean that minutes are less important for Holland? We're talking about a 4th line spot. 10-13 minutes at even strength is probably all we should expect. I suspect Rakell would end up getting more minutes on the PK, and Holland on the 2nd PP unit.

Also, I'm not even sure Holland and Rakell will end up competing directly for a spot. It could just as easily end up being someone like DSP who loses his spot to make room for Holland. Unless DSP steps up, it probably -should- be him.

Sojourn is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 07:54 PM
  #24
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
1) Rakell doesn't need to be better than Holland. He just needs to be a better player for the role.

2) It depends on the player. I don't think Rakell has a whole lot to gain by staying in the CHL. He plays a mature, professional style game which fits better in a professional league than the more free wheeling CHL style. The only real advantage in the CHL would be in allowing Rakell to grow into his body a bit more, and perhaps to focus on his offense.

3) So? Does that mean that minutes are less important for Holland? We're talking about a 4th line spot. 10-13 minutes at even strength is probably all we should expect. I suspect Rakell would end up getting more minutes on the PK, and Holland on the 2nd PP unit.

Also, I'm not even sure Holland and Rakell will end up competing directly for a spot. It could just as easily end up being someone like DSP who loses his spot to make room for Holland. Unless DSP steps up, it probably -should- be him.
I so agree. DSP belongs in Norfolk, and Holland belongs on the Ducks in my opinion.

AngelDuck is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
  #25
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I so agree. DSP belongs in Norfolk, and Holland belongs on the Ducks in my opinion.
Holland would still have to prove he can fill Devo's role better. No one is getting a spot just because they are a better prospect.

Exit Dose is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.