HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This team will not succeed as long as David Desharnais is a top 6 center.

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 04:46 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Desharnais had 5 points in 6 games played against the Bruins last season with a plus/minus of +4. He had 4 points in 4 games played vs the Flyers with a plus/minus of +2.

Obviously, the guy canít play against such opponents; he simply canít handle it.
Overreaction much...since when are all his shifts against the Flyers or the Bruins physical? Maybe you should read better next time before letting your emotions get the best of you

Old
01-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post

When we have Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu (all rugged physical defensemen) that's another story. But we're not there yet. We'll suffer until that happens.
LOL, Beaulieu a physical defenseman!!! You havent seen him play, he is has soft has it comes.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Bare with me here.

I realize a lot of people are DD fans, and with just cause, I like the man and the player as well. However, I strongly feel that this team will not succeed as long as he is a top 6 center.

A center should be a force on the ice, someone who is strong on the dot, strong on the puck, strong on both ends of the ice on top of the obvious need for on-ice vision. Sure, Desharnais has very slick hands and great vision, but his presence is not going to intimidate anyone, ever. This is not a knock on the man, he is a tough little dude and could likely beat the crap out of me, but against other top NHL centers...it's almost laughable.

If Plekanec were a different type of player we might be able to get away with having DD as a top 6 center, but having those 2 be our 1-2 is a recipe for failure and maintenance of our 'soft' identity. A center often defines his line as the puck literally starts on their sticks (after whistles)

Plekanec-Eller should be solidified as our top 2. Sure, the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole combo looked very good last year, but they got soft minutes and only looked good in comparison to the rest of the team which looked like trash. That same trio looked horrible last night and is IMO bound for disaster. Keep Desharnais with MaxPac, but put him on the wing and stick Eller in the middle.

Cole-Plekanec-Gionta
MaxPac-Eller-Desharnais

something of that sort should be our top 6.

Discuss/debate David Desharnais as a top 6 center in this thread.

This might not be worth it's own thread but I did not know where else to vent about this, mods feel free to merge with something...or not
Thanks for the update Captain Odvious!

Old
01-20-2013, 04:52 PM
AmeriHab

I like DD, by far the best vision and most creative, but if we paired him with Prust and Moen he could give those guys good numbers and they'll protect him more than Pac and Cole do. Put Armstrong on the 4th with white and blunden. Leave the lineup as is to see if anyone starts clicking but anything like last night and it's gotta change. I didn't put Gally in thinking he'll be back in sarnia if/when lines get moved

Cole Pleks Gio
Pac eller bourque
Moen DD Prust

Old
01-20-2013, 04:52 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Are 3rd lines not generally the "#1 defensive line." I keep hearing that DD should exploit #3 lines when in reality he would probably do better against top-2 lines because it will leave more space open for him in the defensive zone.

Eller compete against top-6 lines cause he's a great defensive centre.
The 3rd line was typically the number 1 defensive line in the 90's and early 2000's, not so much anymore. Most teams goes power on power. DD lining up against other teams number one or number 2 line is not something we want.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
He is not afraid to go in front of the net, and go in the corners contrary to Plekanec...
That is just more of your bs.

Does not mean its true.

From a guy that thinks this team is better without Plekanec, hard to take your opinion seriously.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:53 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Desharnais had 5 points in 6 games played against the Bruins last season with a plus/minus of +4. He had 4 points in 4 games played vs the Flyers with a plus/minus of +2.

Obviously, the guy canít play against such opponents; he simply canít handle it.
Obviously this sample size is sufficient to draw conclusions

Old
01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Obviously this sample size is sufficient to draw conclusions
Prove him wrong, then.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Prove it.

And why "in Plekanec's case". Are you saying DD is a tough or some sort?
Here is my proof, he said it himself: http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/15/to...ls-everywhere/

Old
01-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Alexdaman

Oh yeah sure let's get rid of DD and put him on the third line cause he's too small to play in the NHL. His 60 pts scored last season on his 2nd NHL season ever was just luck. He's as bad as Martin St-Louis who only scored 35 pts in his second lifetime season, since Martin St-Louis is the main reason why the lightning did not qualify last year for the playoff, Tampa should trade him for a 6 ft 4 RW that will make the lightning the tallest and more robust team in the league. That's how you win cups, having big guys up front.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Here is my proof, he said it himself: http://www.aolnews.com/2008/04/15/to...ls-everywhere/
Oh please, still thinking that is an actual argument let alone proof to anything?

Grow up a little will ya?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Oh yeah sure let's get rid of DD and put him on the third line cause he's too small to play in the NHL. His 60 pts scored last season on his 2nd NHL season ever was just luck. He's as bad as Martin St-Louis who only scored 35 pts in his second lifetime season, since Martin St-Louis is the main reason why the lightning did not qualify last year in the playoff, Tampa should trade him for a 6 ft 4 RW that will make the lightning the tallest and more robust team in the league. That's how you win cups, having big guys up front.
Please don't compare DD and MSL. Please.

Seriously, you are comfortable to have David Desharnais centering your 1st line in a SCF?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Oh please, still thinking that is an actual argument let alone proof to anything?

Grow up a little will ya?
My god, your obsession of Plekanec is similar to a man crush!!!

Old
01-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:

Seriously, you are comfortable to have David Desharnais centering your 1st line in a SCF?
We have no center that can lead us to the SCF final anyway. I think Eller can become a good third line center and Galchenyuk will be in the top 2. We need to get rid of the others, and find ourself another top two center.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
There's nothing about obsession. Just because I think he makes the team better means I'm obsessed with him. You probably have that article in your bookmarks because you can't talk about Plekanec without using that article as an argument. Any Habs fans remember when he said that, we just don't care because he said it after a game he was not satisfied with himself, just a hater like you still uses that thinking its relevant.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
There's nothing about obsession. Just because I think he makes the team better means I'm obsessed with him. You probably have that article in your bookmarks because you can't talk about Plekanec without using that article as an argument. Any Habs fans remember when he said that, we just don't care because he said it after a game he was not satisfied with himself, just a hater like you still uses that thinking its relevant.
Well it is cause playing like this is in his nature. He is a soft, scared player. And he is bad defensively and offensively, for the salary he makes.

Last edited by Undertakerqc: 01-20-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Well it is caus eplaying like this is in his nature. He is a soft, scared player. And he is bad defensively and offensively, for the salary he makes.
Boom, there goes your credibility.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:

Look DD with his small stature was able to top 78pts in 60 games in the AHL. I'm not worried about him and Pac and Cole have the size to play with him.

I think what happened yesterday is simple Pac didn't play in the off-season, neither did Cole. Cole seems to been feeling a little down since the start of camp, maybe he's got some personal issues, but I'm not going to go into that since I can't judge the situation.

Pac added a lot of weight and seemed totally off-balance yesterday. This is the line that was the story of last year I think the guys simply over-estimated their abilities. I'm not concerned at all and the guy that worries me the less is DD since he did a great job in Switzerland in a team and a country he didn't know anything about.

DD imho will be a min 50+pts center for most of his career.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:26 PM
HCH

This thread is about stirring the pot for no good reason. DD is the least of this team's worries at the moment.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:27 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Look DD with his small stature was able to top 78pts in 60 games in the AHL. I'm not worried about him and Pac and Cole have the size to play with him.

I think what happened yesterday is simple Pac didn't play in the off-season, neither did Cole. Cole seems to been feeling a little down since the start of camp, maybe he's got some personal issues, but I'm not going to go into that since I can't judge the situation.

Pac added a lot of weight and seemed totally off-balance yesterday. This is the line that was the story of last year I think the guys simply over-estimated their abilities. I'm not concerned at all and the guy that worries me the less is DD since he did a great job in Switzerland in a team and a country he didn't know anything about.

DD imho will be a min 50+pts center for most of his career.
Probably still butt hurt that they are playing hockey right now, I wouldn't be shocked if he was one of the 12 morons who voted No on the CBA

Old
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
You are the most biased person when speaking of Plekanec. Every time you speak of Plekanec it's as if he's the worst player in the NHL. So really, you're in no position to talk.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Prust Y U MAD Bruins*

DD should change his number to 36.

36DD, it would be a huge change

Last edited by Prust Y U MAD Bruins*: 01-20-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
I agree with you. That's why I think the next 10-15 games will be important for him to show what he's capable of. But one thing is for sure: Chucky will be this team's first line center in the near future. Montreal needs to make room for this to happen.
agree with this 100%

Old
01-20-2013, 06:51 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montrťal"

Blaming DD at this point is illogical to say the least.
The Habs biggest problem is our D-squad : it's old, slow and small, esp. without Subban.

This team is in reconstruction mode, be patient folks.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:03 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Blaming DD at this point is illogical to say the least.
The Habs biggest problem is our D-squad : it's old, slow and small, esp. without Subban.

This team is in reconstruction mode, be patient folks.
The habs have problems at center, on the top-6 wings, in the bottom-6, and on the D ... basically everywhere except goaltending.

DD as a 1st line center is part of the problem not the solution. He might be good as an offensive winger, but not as a 1st line center.

Closed Thread