HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corvo

Old
01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I was going to make this post, but thank you for it. Corvo was signed for 1 year/2 million. It was a gamble going into the season, and a very small one at that considering what other defenders got. If Corvo isn't up to par, it's on Muller to take him out, not JR.
It's partly on JR, because while it's only 1 year of Corvo and that's a relatively minor gamble, we also only have 1 year of another (should be) key player in Semin.

If you're going to gamble on Semin to become a strong Top 6 player that would hopefully help this team make the playoffs, you can't gamble on a player like Corvo in the same season.

Now if this was a transition year, absolutely, Corvo is a minor deal. But since from the very beginning, it was made obvious that the Canes were going to start making a playoff (if not Cup) push, and some of the deals made (namely Semin) enforced that goal, signing Corvo instead of a competent defenseman doesn't make much sense.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:52 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Corvo makes 200k more than McBain who they just sat. You can easily bury him in the press box if it doesn't work out, and that'd be on Muller to do. At that point it'd be as if they didn't sign anyone, which some of you preferred anyway. I'm not trying to completely absolve JR, but he doesn't keep an abysmal player in the lineup.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Joe McGrath

To paraphrase one of my favorite films:

To Jim Rutherford:

We the Anton fearing people of Hurricane fandom wish to express our extreme displeasure with your choice of Tim Gleason's partner.. Please remove him immediately! The fact that you have sent him here just goes to prove that you are the leading ******* in the state!

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
To paraphrase one of my favorite films:

To Jim Rutherford:

We the Anton fearing people of Hurricane fandom wish to express our extreme displeasure with your choice of Tim Gleason's partner.. Please remove him immediately! The fact that you have sent him here just goes to prove that you are the leading ******* in the state!
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you get rid of Joe Corvo now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenatzu View Post
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you get rid of Joe Corvo now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
That escalated quickly

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
That escalated quickly
Isn't that pretty customary around here?

Old
01-20-2013, 01:54 PM
totaltank

So, I walked in to a local ice rink this morning for my kid's game and there sat Joe Corvo and his wife watching their son in the game before ours. I walked by with my Hurricanes jacket on and he nodded at me. It took everything I had to keep it classy.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
So, I walked in to a local ice rink this morning for my kid's game and there sat Joe Corvo and his wife watching their son in the game before ours. I walked by with my Hurricanes jacket on and he nodded at me. It took everything I had to keep it classy.
Well done, must've been tough.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:52 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton dubinchuk View Post
well done, must've been tough.
where is he i'll kill him. Lemme at 'im.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:37 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I ran into or new Russian player today, and was quite surprised at the cigarette smell coming off his tracksuit. Did a quick Google search and found that yes, he is a smoker! Did not know that!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:51 PM
loobarlow

Send a message via AIM to loobarlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I ran into or new Russian player today, and was quite surprised at the cigarette smell coming off his tracksuit. Did a quick Google search and found that yes, he is a smoker! Did not know that!
Semin is an interesting dude.

Last edited by loobarlow: 01-20-2013 at 07:10 PM.
loobarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
TheBigKahuna

I was shocked that Rick Vaive smoked back in the early 90s. I was at a Sabres/Caps game back in 90 or 91 and saw Vaive smoking after the game. And then Mario was a smoker too. But in this day and age, pro hockey players smoking, I admit, I'm shocked.

Apparently Carey Price is a smoker too!

Old
01-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Novacane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
I was shocked that Rick Vaive smoked back in the early 90s. I was at a Sabres/Caps game back in 90 or 91 and saw Vaive smoking after the game. And then Mario was a smoker too. But in this day and age, pro hockey players smoking, I admit, I'm shocked.

Apparently Carey Price is a smoker too!
If it's recreational, I'm fine with it. But an athlete smoking at least once per day is scary. Can't be good on the lungs.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:07 PM
TheBigKahuna

I didn't see him smoking, but I could sure smell it!

Old
01-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 50
From a Bruins fan, I'm sorry and good luck.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

I'm pretty sure if you are russian and don't smoke you get your citizenship revoked.

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:11 PM
LadyCane

I live with a Bruins fan.

She finds my Corvo rage hilarious.

LadyCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Drivebytrucker

The Corvo Hate is too much.....

He didn't do anything last night that made me believe his game has dropped off huge amounts since the last time he played here.

He's 36 years old puck mover who's okay on the powerplay, soft in his own zone and is signed to a short term low money deal

JR knew what he was bringing in when he signed him.

All your Corvo hate should be placed on JR. He's the guy who built this team.

Drivebytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Novacane

What I just remembered about his contract: NMC

Really, JR. Not that anyone would take him, but you got shafted into giving him a NMC when HE wanted to come here.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:47 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I wouldn't call 2 million per a low money deal. But yes, my Corvo hate IS directed at JR. He just can't figure out how to build a defense to save his life.

For the same money he could have had Roszival or Shane O'Brien, or for a quarter mil more we could have had Zanon. All 3 of whom are more capable in their own zone then Joe and all 3 fill what the Canes needed far better.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:54 PM
geehaad

How many attempted clears did Corvo keep in the offensive zone while on the PP last night? Seemed like he nearly got to double digits...

Faulk had some good ones too.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
How many attempted clears did Corvo keep in the offensive zone while on the PP last night? Seemed like he nearly got to double digits...
I was just about to say that. I was pretty impressed with how he managed to stop the puck from crossing the line.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Novacane

But then he has the puck with no pressure in the offensive zone, passes it near Harrison (but not in a place where Harrison could keep the zone), then inexplicably pinches along the boards allowing the puck to get into our zone. Then a few seconds later, they score. He certainly has his ups and downs...

Old
01-23-2013, 02:06 PM
wallym

The problem with analyzing Joe is that it isn't his skill people are worried about. It's the mistakes. That third lightning goal was set up on the rush created by two Corvo wtf's. The random pass out of the zone, and then the turnover at center-ice.

But he does have some upside. He puts his shots on goal, and he moves well with the puck particularly on the power play. The sad thing is the lack of a better option.

I really would have liked to see Bryan Allen stay. For all the talk of team toughness and defensive responsibility, the swap from Allen to Corvo is the first place to look.

^^^That's the play that you can't forget. Although, it's not like he's the only failing miserably. Perhaps a few games in, he'll get his stuff together. If Eric Staal doesn't, how Joe Corvo plays doesn't really matter.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Finlandia WOAT
go rongos go

We're sitting here complaining about Joe Corvo and his 12 minutes a night.

But Wallym is right, if E. Staal and Ward don't start producing (along with Skinner, J. Staal and Semin), then we are screwed either way.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote