HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the LIIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
PerDos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
hodgson took too long to change and flyers score
i think thats what happened, just got nbc as background noise
On that goal, Hodgson got bumped off the puck in his own blue line which allowed Philly to easily gained the zone and lead to the goal.

Hodgson is as advertised. He has excellent vision and passing but still kinda weak on the puck. He also has a couple good scoring chances when he was behind the defender but lacked the extra acceleration and strength to separate himself from the defender. He looks faster than last year but still doesn't seem to have the top speed/acceleration if that makes sense.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Hodgy

I actually think Hodgon's skating looks improved.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
timw33

Hodgson just scored his first goal of the year.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Hodgy

Hodgson scores. Good work on the rebound.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Agreed. He's flying right now.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
StringerBell

Haha his poor skating payed off. Got there a good 2 seconds after Vanek to kick in the rebound.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:03 PM
The Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerDos View Post
On that goal, Hodgson got bumped off the puck in his own blue line which allowed Philly to easily gained the zone and lead to the goal.

Hodgson is as advertised. He has excellent vision and passing but still kinda weak on the puck. He also has a couple good scoring chances when he was behind the defender but lacked the extra acceleration and strength to separate himself from the defender. He looks faster than last year but still doesn't seem to have the top speed/acceleration if that makes sense.
I agree with this assessment. BTW....I think he justed potted his 1st....lookin at it upstairs

EDIT: Its good

Old
01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
VanEric

Quote:
It's not his skating. He looks way lighter. It looks like he dropped a lot of that muscle that Gary Roberts helped him pack on.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
It's not his skating. He looks way lighter. It looks like he dropped a lot of that muscle that Gary Roberts helped him pack on.
I think last year he was a bit bulkier because they spend a lot of time on strength work to help strengthen his back. I imagine this year he's worked a lot more on lean muscle and explosive strength work.

Still understand why Gillis made the trade he did (he basically had to), but I am leery of Kassian. Definitely not the move I would have made, but I respect Gillis's conviction. Kind of a fun trade to track, as most 1 for 1 trades are.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Hodgson's skating is terrible and has no physicality. It seems like the only strength he has is making a nice pass.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Any debate about the trade aside, Hodgson is and will be a very good player in this league. Hated to see him moved, regardless of the return or circumstances that deemed the change necessary.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

People need to be patient with Kassian, we won't know what we have for another two years. He could still be anything from Bernier to Bertuzzi. This kind of impatience sees guys like Neely, Bertuzzi etc as we'll as Bernier. Again patience.

Last edited by me2: 01-20-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
People need to be patient with Kassian, we won't know what we have for another two years. He could still be anything from Bernier to Bertuzzi.
Or even a Gordie Howe...or is that pushing it?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:48 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
His skating improved 3 years ago. He hasn't been a 'terrible' skating since 2010.

If you're expecting him to be Raymond out there he's always going to be slow but he's shown he's got decent speed with below average acceleration but ability to over come that with really smart plays.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
His skating improved 3 years ago. He hasn't been a 'terrible' skating since 2010.

If you're expecting him to be Raymond out there he's always going to be slow but he's shown he's got decent speed with below average acceleration but ability to over come that with really smart plays.
Of course his skating has progressed since 2010. However, I think his skating looks better this year than it did when he was with the Canucks last season.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:45 PM
FiveAndGame

I'm just going to say this right now. The Lupul deal is pretty brutal.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:19 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
People need to be patient with Kassian, we won't know what we have for another two years. He could still be anything from Bernier to Bertuzzi. This kind of impatience sees guys like Neely, Bertuzzi etc as we'll as Bernier. Again patience.
The trade was a mistake. Gillis dealt him to make a point that no one was going to tell him what to do. It was an arrogant move on Gillis' part and has cost the team. The team would have been so much better off with Hodgson in the playoffs last year or running the second line this year.

The excuse Gillis gave about propping up his play by giving him offensive zone starts is stupid. Last night it was disclosed on HNIC that the Twins get offensive zone starts 80% of the time. Is Gillis propping up their play too?

The trade was a mistake, and I expect it will haunt the team for a while.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
The trade was a mistake. Gillis dealt him to make a point that no one was going to tell him what to do. It was an arrogant move on Gillis' part and has cost the team. The team would have been so much better off with Hodgson in the playoffs last year or running the second line this year.

The excuse Gillis gave about propping up his play by giving him offensive zone starts is stupid. Last night it was disclosed on HNIC that the Twins get offensive zone starts 80% of the time. Is Gillis propping up their play too?

The trade was a mistake, and I expect it will haunt the team for a while.
Gillis' statements concerning Hodgson after the end of a disappointing season were bush league. He started by saying that he wasn't going to speak about the Hodgson situation/trade only to proceed to rip on Hodgson relentlessly. It was pretty hilarious watching all of Gillis' comments regarding Hodgson when you consider everything Gillis said about Hodgson a couple years before after drafting him (i.e., great kid, leader, good defensively, etc.).

The sad thing about Gillis' comments (which were really damage control) was that the whole Canucks' fanbase turned on Hodgson. Never have I seen this fanbase do such a 180 degree turn on a player (except maybe Bertuzzi). Hodgson went from future captain material that everyone clamoured over, to a bum not worthy to play in the NHL. Nothing illustrates this point more than comparisons of Hodgson and Schroeder post-Hodgson trade. Do people remember the threads comparing Hodgson and Schroeder back when Hodgson was a Canucks? It was almost unanimous...

Old
01-20-2013, 06:33 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Gillis' statements concerning Hodgson after the end of a disappointing season were bush league. He started by saying that he wasn't going to speak about the Hodgson situation/trade only to proceed to rip on Hodgson relentlessly. It was pretty hilarious watching all of Gillis' comments regarding Hodgson when you consider everything Gillis said about Hodgson a couple years before after drafting him (i.e., great kid, leader, good defensively, etc.).

The sad thing about Gillis' comments (which were really damage control) was that the whole Canucks' fanbase turned on Hodgson. Never have I seen this fanbase do such a 180 degree turn on a player (except maybe Bertuzzi). Hodgson went from future captain material that everyone clamoured over, to a bum not worthy to play in the NHL. Nothing illustrates this point more than comparisons of Hodgson and Schroeder post-Hodgson trade. Do people remember the threads comparing Hodgson and Schroeder back when Hodgson was a Canucks? It was almost unanimous...
That's the kind of stuff that happens when a parent of a professional hockey player injects themselves into the process.

Call it the Lindros Syndrome.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:33 PM
John Bender

Quote:

I never heard one player, or even one rumour of a player saying anything bad about Hodgson. I really think that Gillis is simply arrogant and wanted to prove a point that no one was going to tell him how to play his players.

Really, Gillis should have just told the father to get lost.........and dealt with it. The team is worse off due to Gillis' need to establish his position as the boss.

Gillis is hit/miss with the moves he makes. He draft record is terrible. He comes across as a complete *******. If the team completely falls off the map this year, I would not be sad to see him turfed.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:49 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

there's that flames team we all know and love

Old
01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post

So Sedin...

Hodgson's skating is about 90% people looking for something to complain about.

Same with people talking about a lack of "hockey sense" for most players.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Haha, they almost look as bad as the Canucks!

Old
01-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Their defense was putrid in the 2nd period. My favorite moment was watching one of their defense do his impression broadway theater as he went flailing around just having trouble skating forward with no pressure on him.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!

Flames no surprise there choking like before.......and 3-1 pens over the Rangers

Closed Thread