HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

GAME #2 - Canucks vs. Oilers - 6 p.m Sportsnet

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 05:09 PM
mossey3535

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyack57 View Post
So if the goalies knew that this was going to be a split as they suggested in the TSN pregame clip today then why was AV stating on Afterhours last night that he hadnt told the goalie who was starting tonight so he couldn't comment on it on TV? Luongo needs to be showcased a bit too and if Schneider had back to back bad games then all hell would break loose. If Schneider kicked ass against Anaheim then I fully would have expected him to start against Edmonton. This is all just to cover the teams ass for not resolving the Luongo situation over the summer.
I never said they knew it was a split.

There is plenty of time to showcase Luongo. If you're serious about going with Schneider, he needs to be treated like the bona fide #1.

They don't play again until Wednesday, and good practices don't mean jack when you have a bad game as a goalie. If I was their starter I wouldn't want four days to think about how badly I botched my first game. It's not like he was bad technically, it was a poor mental game.

If Schneider was lights out, I would have given this start to Luongo, since Schneids would be confident and happy that he won his first game as the number one. But you have to adapt and Schneid's confidence right now is more important than showcasing Luongo (and I love Luongo!).

Old
01-20-2013, 05:12 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
yea, he should have completely changed his whole weekend plan just becasue we had a bad first game!
Why was it so imperative to split the games this weekend when they have two days off before the next one?

You have to be able to adapt to the circumstances, and Schneider DESERVES the respect afforded to him as the number one if you're going to go around telling everyone he's the number one. The psychological aspect is really important here for the goalie. Why tell everyone he is the man, if you weren't going to treat him like it?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Why was it so imperative to split the games this weekend when they have two days off before the next one?

You have to be able to adapt to the circumstances, and Schneider DESERVES the respect afforded to him as the number one if you're going to go around telling everyone he's the number one. The psychological aspect is really important here for the goalie. Why tell everyone he is the man, if you weren't going to treat him like it?
Exactly...if you are going to try and build confidence in your new #1 guy, you give him every opportunity to rebound. Letting him sit around and stew on a bad game isn't going to help anything.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:31 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Gotta lose before you can win... right?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:33 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Exactly...if you are going to try and build confidence in your new #1 guy, you give him every opportunity to rebound. Letting him sit around and stew on a bad game isn't going to help anything.

We are treating Schnieder exactly the same as we treated Luongo last year.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
or it'll tell us he's got nerves of steel or not.

Seriously though, Schneider isn't a rookie anymore but a soon to be 27 year old. He's always had a calm demeaner. Don't think a bad outing will faze him much.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Dado

vCash:
The GDT post has Luongo ahead of Schneider - does this mean Luongo is starting tonight? That doesn't sound right, if Schneider is our #1.

ETA: Ok, see the posts where Luongo is said to be starter. Seems a mistake to me, but whatever...if coach and GM think having the goalies play off against each other makes sense, then so be it....

Old
01-20-2013, 05:39 PM
StringerBell

I'm okay with Luongo getting the start tonight, but he better not get pulled

I think putting Schneider in fresh against Calgary is probably the best thing for the tandem. He'll be unbelievably hungry to redeem himself after 3 days off.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
If it were me I'd do this,

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Schroeder Burrows
To me that turns one good line into two mediocre or worse lines. RSB in particular would, IMO, get eaten alive out there.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:42 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post

We are treating Schnieder exactly the same as we treated Luongo last year.
But not in years previously. And Lu is a proven NHL starter since before he even got here. This is a completely different situation where you're trying to give a young goalie a starter's job.

For example, at least Rask in Boston had an opportunity when Thomas was essentially crippled to be the everyday guy. Now they know going into this season he can shoulder the load.

Luckily Schneids is so good mentally and technically, hopefully this is not the beginning of terrible goalie management.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
or it'll tell us he's got nerves of steel or not.

Seriously though, Schneider isn't a rookie anymore but a soon to be 27 year old. He's always had a calm demeaner. Don't think a bad outing will faze him much.
I don't think it's a crushing blow to his psyche or anything, but he should have been given the start. To me it seems like AV is trying to shelter Schneider by giving him Calgary instead of Edmonton...If he's supposed to be our #1 he should be getting the harder starts. Sink or swim time.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Dado

vCash:
Either that, or AV is trying to bury Luongo once and for all by feeding him to Dynasty 2.0.

But I agree - this should be Schneider's start.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
I don't think it's a crushing blow to his psyche or anything, but he should have been given the start. To me it seems like AV is trying to shelter Schneider by giving him Calgary instead of Edmonton...If he's supposed to be our #1 he should be getting the harder starts. Sink or swim time.
We have two great goalies. We play back-to-back this weekend. It seems pretty obvious to me why Alain Vigenault is starting Luongo. It would be pretty silly not to split the starts given the abbreviated seasons.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Carl Carlson

I do not agree with starting Luongo tonight unless a trade is close and they want to showcase him one last time. If the GM and coaching staff have decided that Cory is the new #1 you have to accept he's gonna have bad starts. Luongo is usually crap before November but the Oct games always seem to let him work out the little mistakes. Schneider should get some time to do that as well.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:02 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Either that, or AV is trying to bury Luongo once and for all by feeding him to Dynasty 2.0.

But I agree - this should be Schneider's start.
I don't get all the comments about AV being an enemy of Luongo. AV kept throwing out Luongo time and again when he was in the midst of his worst slumps.

I expect the Canucks to lose, and will be surprised if they win. I predict that Luongo has a poor game. Hopefully the team is better defensively.

Garrison looked good yesterday, that's about all I can say positive about it. The Gillis speech was comically absurd and the team seemed to follow his lead. Gillis just needs to stay away from the media. He comes off as a pretentious (feminine hygiene product) bag every time he speaks.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:04 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carlson View Post
I do not agree with starting Luongo tonight unless a trade is close and they want to showcase him one last time. If the GM and coaching staff have decided that Cory is the new #1 you have to accept he's gonna have bad starts. Luongo is usually crap before November but the Oct games always seem to let him work out the little mistakes. Schneider should get some time to do that as well.
If a trade is close, playing him is dumb. He is a notoriously slow starter.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
We have two great goalies. We play back-to-back this weekend. It seems pretty obvious to me why Alain Vigenault is starting Luongo. It would be pretty silly not to split the starts given the abbreviated seasons.
It's the first 2 games of the season and there is two days off upcoming, if Schneider needs a break now after being pulled after half a game then there is a real issue here.

If the team and Schneider hadn't blown last night, going with Luongo would be pretty much a given, but thats not how it played out. Going with your #1 is what should have happened tonight.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
It's the first 2 games of the season and there is two days off upcoming, if Schneider needs a break now after being pulled after half a game then there is a real issue here.

If the team and Schneider hadn't blown last night, going with Luongo would be pretty much a given, but thats not how it played out. Going with your #1 is what should have happened tonight.
The worry isn't that a goalie will become fatigued right away, the worry is that in an abbreviated season where the workload is greater than usual that a goalie will become fatigued over time. Bylsma touched on this issue in an article written this year. He referenced the last part-year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...143/index.html

Schneider may be the "number one" goalie, but anyone that thinks his status as number one goalie is insurmountable is crazy. This is a 1A/1B situation. With 48 games I bet we see the split around 30/18. Whomever goalie is playing better will start. Schneider was poor last game and it is a back to back, and thus, it is a pretty obvious decision to start Luongo.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:14 PM
serge2k

Quote:
I agree that this is what should normally happen, but Schneider played less than half the game yesterday.

Oh well, let the backup play.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carlson View Post
Do you really think Luongo (the most scouted, most scrutinized goalie in memory) needs showcasing?

Old
01-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
I agree that this is what should normally happen, but Schneider played less than half the game yesterday.

Oh well, let the backup play.
It is a short season and we have two very good goalies. We don't have to go back to one goalie after they lay an egg. It just doesn't make sense given the length of the season. Schneider will get another chance to go on a run.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Canucker

Quote:
The worry isn't that a goalie will become fatigued right away, the worry is that in an abbreviated season where the workload is greater than usual that a goalie will become fatigued over time. Bylsma touched on this issue in an article written this year. He referenced the last part-year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...143/index.html

Schneider may be the "number one" goalie, but anyone that thinks his status as number one goalie is insurmountable is crazy. This is a 1A/1B situation. With 48 games I bet we see the split around 30/18. Whomever goalie is playing better will start. Schneider was poor last game and it is a back to back, and thus, it is a pretty obvious decision to start Luongo.
The thing is, Luongo didn't really play any better than Schneider and they both played about half of the game each...it doesn't make any sense to start Luongo now unless you are sheltering Schneider, which shouldn't be happening.

I understand we don't have a conventional goaltending tandem, but its been made pretty clear that Schneider is the new #1 guy in town, we'd better be sure we can count on him before we decide to trade away Luongo. That means he should be getting the tougher starts and being given the opportunity to bounce back after poor outings...if he stinks up tonight's game, start Luongo for a couple games and give Schneider a road start in SJ.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:25 PM
serge2k

Quote:
It is a short season and we have two very good goalies. We don't have to go back to one goalie after they lay an egg. It just doesn't make sense given the length of the season. Schneider will get another chance to go on a run.
Except Luongo actually played more of the game last night.

So you have Schneider who actually played less and will be looking to bounce back.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:27 PM
John Bender

Quote:
The thing is, Luongo didn't really play any better than Schneider and they both played about half of the game each...it doesn't make any sense to start Luongo now unless you are sheltering Schneider, which shouldn't be happening.

I understand we don't have a conventional goaltending tandem, but its been made pretty clear that Schneider is the new #1 guy in town, we'd better be sure we can count on him before we decide to trade away Luongo. That means he should be getting the tougher starts and being given the opportunity to bounce back after poor outings...if he stinks up tonight's game, start Luongo for a couple games and give Schneider a road start in SJ.
Well, at the end of the day, the team can't be sure Luongo is dealt and if they keep both, they need to get both some starts. Luongo has traditionally played very well against EDM, and that was the plan from the beginning, so they are just sticking to plan.

I don't see a lot wrong with it. What if Schneider comes out and is horrendous again? That would be a debacle.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

If the plan was to split the games it makes NO SENSE to go away from that plan because the guy playing first played terribly and got pulled.

Closed Thread