HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 07:05 PM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Depends what the market is like for a winger at the deadline, and also which MacArthur shows up.

Two seasons ago he was my favourite Leaf. Played physical, hard, phenomenal vision, and it showed on the score sheet. Last year he was basically invisible most nights.
Deadline prices are always high, highest theyll be all year. Its just a matter of how high.

With the shortened season, id imagine more teams will be "in it" since theres not much times for teams to separate as much standings-wise, and thus likely more buyers.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:06 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudForLife View Post
Maybe the "A" makes his trade value go up
I WAS THINKING THAT. cause he was my last choice, for an "A"

Old
01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Leafs03

why resign him??? trade him and bring up frattin and put JVR on the second line. JVR needs top 6 mins.....

Old
01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
What has he done to deserve a million dollar raise? I hope we trade him by deadline unless he has a stellar season which I doubt.
COACH GAVE HIM AN "A", maybe he knows more than us.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
BudForLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
I WAS THINKING THAT. cause he was my last choice, for an "A"
Gotta admit I was surprised that he got an "A". I'm sure he's a leader in the dressing room, but I just didn't think he was gonna be around much longer. So I dunno...

Old
01-20-2013, 07:09 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
I would keep his yearly average roughly where it is now; this team can't afford to give all their players million dollar raises. No more over spending for middle to bottom tier players; keep that cap space and acquire players that will make a difference.

They can replace MacArthur through free agency; for cheaper, if he doesn't want that price.
let's replace him with some of our younger guys (like frattin) that are cheaper and let's spend the extra money on a better FA

that's what killed me about burke- he loved overpaying these middle of the road players that were never difference makers

Old
01-20-2013, 07:09 PM
HappyGilmourr

We have so much wing depth on the wing I don't no if I would want to pay him north of 3.5 million to play on the 3rd line.

Right now... Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Kulemin are all more valued than him in the top 6. Lupul, Kessel and Kulemin deservedly so, but right now JVR is too and thats just how it works sometimes. I also feel Kadri plays a similar role to Mac, both can put up points and have an edge to their game, but Kadri is more versatile as he can play wing and centre, + more affordable. I guess a big part of Mac's future determines on Kadri's future.

As to what he is worth, i would say about 3.7 million over 4 years... And I wouldn't go higher than that. I also think 3.5-4.5 is a little rich for someone who would be our 7th best forward... so unless he can learn how to play centre than i'm not sure he has a future with us.

with out Mac I see the depth chart as this

LUPUL - - KESSEL
KULEMIN - GRABO - JVR/KADRI
JVR/KADRI - BOZAK - FRATTIN
KOMOROV - MCLEMENT - BROWN

I would keep him if we have no chance at a number 1 C and than just be stacked on the wing but continue to be weak at centre. But if a centre does present it self, than we won't have cap space for him. But who really knows, tomorrow Kadri could be traded and it could change everything.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:11 PM
DaveT83*

Mac is taking a roster spot + unnessecary cap space. The guy is a dime a dozen in NHL.
He pots 20 goals great. He's easy as pie to play against and has been the benefactor of Grabovski.

Move him - he should be gone already - hopefully Nonis is looking at a Sign/Trade.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
I also want him gone. I think we have better players that can play the position.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Nope. Frattin gets his spot. We also have D'Amigo ready to make the jump as a 3rd line winger.

Hopefully we can pry a first out of someone at the deadline for him.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:17 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudForLife View Post
Gotta admit I was surprised that he got an "A". I'm sure he's a leader in the dressing room, but I just didn't think he was gonna be around much longer. So I dunno...
so the leafs, original 6 team is just throwing around A's.
for years it meant a lot to wear an "A" WITH THE LEAFS.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

I don't think giving him the A represents any kind of long term commitment, unlike a C might. To me it is simply an endorsement of the type of player he is, and part of a move by the club to put more of the vets in a leadership responsibility role. Last year's collapse was a result of a mental collapse, not a sudden departure of all talent. If they won't "do it for Dion" maybe the letter forces the older guys to do it for themselves, or at least not to abdicate responsibility to someone else when things get ugly.

I am not a huge Mac fan. He doesn't do anything particularly well, or at least not to the extent he is an important part of the club when not scoring and if you have a 40 something point guy on your second line, he better be a wrecking ball. If somehow the 62 point version returns, thats more points than Nash, Perry, Vanek, or Pavelski scored last season and they would be foolish not to extend him, but his lack of physicality still means he may not be a building block because the other forwards also lack grit and size except for Kule who may not be a real top 6 scorer.

If he gets traded I don't see it as a cashing in at the deadline transaction. They will try to bring a player back that fills a need. Maybe he is dealt for a banger. If Kadri shows he belongs, but can't figure out faceoffs, then that may be incentive to move him for a center. He wasn't that bad last season and very good the year before so it wouldn't bother me if they locked him up for a while, so long as they don't give him a NT clause. If wearing an A might gives him a bit more confidence and ramps up his game they will look like geniuses.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Nope. Frattin gets his spot. We also have D'Amigo ready to make the jump as a 3rd line winger.

Hopefully we can pry a first out of someone at the deadline for him.
I think its absolutely clear that frattin has MacArthurs spot all but locked up based on his play and style.

Play MacArthur until the deadline, and then get the best return you can.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Didact
Nonis lost his mind

Leafs need the salary room, and need more size and aggressiveness in thier top 9. Would love to have him back if he accepted a discount.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

MacArthur is a good player but not a building block. He is a player you keep in your lineup when your trying to fill a position of weakness but not someone who you keep long term. He is an incredible player to fill a complementary role but when you have 4 similar calibred players in addition to 2 that are infinitely better he loses his place in the lineup. If he is playing at a 50-60 point place come the deadline, he can likely return a 1st or strong prospect from a contender weak up front or one exposed by injuries.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 1723
There is no way I'd offer him over $4 million. He's making what he's worth and I'd still ship him for a 1st

Old
01-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
assistant captain, should get at least 1mil raise, so 4.25 per for 5 years
or due we trade him at the deadline.
what if we are fighting for a playoff spot.
well they did make him an assistant, must be part of our future.

so what is he worth?
I don't see him as a long term piece.

cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I don't think giving him the A represents any kind of long term commitment, unlike a C might. To me it is simply an endorsement of the type of player he is, and part of a move by the club to put more of the vets in a leadership responsibility role. Last year's collapse was a result of a mental collapse, not a sudden departure of all talent. If they won't "do it for Dion" maybe the letter forces the older guys to do it for themselves, or at least not to abdicate responsibility to someone else when things get ugly.

I am not a huge Mac fan. He doesn't do anything particularly well, or at least not to the extent he is an important part of the club when not scoring and if you have a 40 something point guy on your second line, he better be a wrecking ball. If somehow the 62 point version returns, thats more points than Nash, Perry, Vanek, or Pavelski scored last season and they would be foolish not to extend him, but his lack of physicality still means he may not be a building block because the other forwards also lack grit and size except for Kule who may not be a real top 6 scorer.

If he gets traded I don't see it as a cashing in at the deadline transaction. They will try to bring a player back that fills a need. Maybe he is dealt for a banger. If Kadri shows he belongs, but can't figure out faceoffs, then that may be incentive to move him for a center. He wasn't that bad last season and very good the year before so it wouldn't bother me if they locked him up for a while, so long as they don't give him a NT clause. If wearing an A might gives him a bit more confidence and ramps up his game they will lok like geniuses.
so we give guys an "A", THAN WE TRADE THEM OR GIVE THEM LESS MONEY.
WHAT KIND OF MESSAGE DOES THAT GIVE OTHER PLAYERS, especially the UFA,s that we want to sign. its a mickey mouse organisation.

Old
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
I think you have to be nuts to give a 1st for him.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
YA I think I might have to think about that one. I doubt FLA goes for it.

So we got a guy who we know is a superstar but who gets no respect around the league, and will never bring a return that reflects his value.

So there really is no point in trading him.

What's wrong with Huberdeau? The kid looked amazing last night.

I agree. Kessel is untouchable. LEts find a quality center to play with him.

Just be ready to pay for that center.
I changed my post as I was overreacting lol, but I really don't like his attitude. He was diving at the WJCs and playing very uninspired.

I'd be interested in a trade around Gards for Hubs but Gards alone doesn't get it done.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:26 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:

What's wrong with Huberdeau? The kid looked amazing last night.
Yes I'm curious as well.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

We drastically overrate Frattin. He's been pretty bad for the Marlies this year.

Could be fatigue, but who knows.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Curious as to how his 40-60 pts will be replaced. Frattin put up 10 last year...so only 30 more points to go!

Old
01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
leugangen

Quote:
NO to a prospect. Couturier is not enough. Huberdeau would get me interested. But I want someone more proven.

So basically there is no point in trading Kessel. So why not trade other players to bring in a center to play with him?
I didn't mean straight up, but I agree with you to a certain extent.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:30 PM
leugangen

Trade him for a 1st. His value hasn't changed from last year at the deadline, and we could have gotten a 1st. Don't see how he fits long-term really.

JVR can move up to the second line, and Frattin can take JVR's spot on the third line. There is no way Frattin should be in the top six.

Closed Thread