HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME #2 - Canucks vs. Oilers - 6 p.m Sportsnet

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Well, at the end of the day, the team can't be sure Luongo is dealt and if they keep both, they need to get both some starts. Luongo has traditionally played very well against EDM, and that was the plan from the beginning, so they are just sticking to plan.

I don't see a lot wrong with it. What if Schneider comes out and is horrendous again? That would be a debacle.
It just means we stick with Luongo until he ***** the bed, then come back to Schneider and hope he's got his game back on track.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Except Luongo actually played more of the game last night.

So you have Schneider who actually played less and will be looking to bounce back.
My point is that it isn't just minutes played or games played. Performance has to be considered. You simply have to go with the better goalie. You can't play a goalie to get him out of a funk or to show that you are confident in him. You have to play the goalie that is playing the best.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Seems to me the plan was to split the games all along. Schneids had his chance on game 1, got pulled. Lu has his chance today. If he craps the bed too, I have no doubt he'll get pulled just like Schneids was.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:33 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
My point is that it isn't just minutes played or games played. Performance has to be considered. You simply have to go with the better goalie. You can't play a goalie to get him out of a funk or to show that you are confident in him. You have to play the goalie that is playing the best.
You don't bench your number one because of 26 bad minutes.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
The thing is, Luongo didn't really play any better than Schneider and they both played about half of the game each...it doesn't make any sense to start Luongo now unless you are sheltering Schneider, which shouldn't be happening.

I understand we don't have a conventional goaltending tandem, but its been made pretty clear that Schneider is the new #1 guy in town, we'd better be sure we can count on him before we decide to trade away Luongo. That means he should be getting the tougher starts and being given the opportunity to bounce back after poor outings...if he stinks up tonight's game, start Luongo for a couple games and give Schneider a road start in SJ.
I agree, AV can't be tossing Schneider softballs like he did last year. Sink or swim.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
The thing is, Luongo didn't really play any better than Schneider and they both played about half of the game each...it doesn't make any sense to start Luongo now unless you are sheltering Schneider, which shouldn't be happening.

I understand we don't have a conventional goaltending tandem, but its been made pretty clear that Schneider is the new #1 guy in town, we'd better be sure we can count on him before we decide to trade away Luongo. That means he should be getting the tougher starts and being given the opportunity to bounce back after poor outings...if he stinks up tonight's game, start Luongo for a couple games and give Schneider a road start in SJ.
Schneider was poor. Luongo may not have been much better when he came it, but you have to remember that he came in when the game was over.

I don't think it is as clear as you are making it out to be.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:37 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
He's not the number 1, he's never been the number 1, and won't be the number 1 until the real number 1 is traded.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
It isn't a "benching". Vigneault likely was going to start Luongo regardless. I can't believe this decision is attracting this much attention.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Schneider was poor. Luongo may not have been much better when he came it, but you have to remember that he came in when the game was over.

I don't think it is as clear as you are making it out to be.
I think its pretty clear...only one of these two guys is being talked about in a trade.

Old
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
He's not the number 1, he's never been the number 1, and won't be the number 1 until the real number 1 is traded.
I can't reply to the actual quote, but this is an indicator of why.

You can't pull your #1 after 26 minutes?
That guy has been here for as long as I can remember and he says that?

Old
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
It just means we stick with Luongo until he ***** the bed, then come back to Schneider and hope he's got his game back on track.
Could damage both their trade values if Lu goes on a tear. Teams would try to buy low on Schneider and purposely hold out on Luongo, knowing our cap situation.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Askel

Anyone got a stream site?

Old
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
I think its pretty clear...only one of these two guys is being talked about in a trade.
Be that as it may, if Lu steals back the job. I find it difficult to trade him, especially if the offers do not improve. We have other goalies to take the reins when Lu retires and I would not be adverse to seeing him retire here. Of course, this assumes he reclaims the number one spot.

Old
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post

No kidding, 5 goals on 14 shots... sorry you're getting pulled no matter who you are.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:43 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Schneider is the number 1. Luongo is his backup.

This is the new way of things.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Canucker, I agree with you that Schneider should have to prove himself in those tough starts but as I saw it, Schneider let in 5 goals in 26 minutes on 14 shots and Luongo let in 2 goals in 34 minutes in 12 shots. I find it difficult to say Luongo was as bad as Schneider last night. I'll give him a mulligan on that, it was more an exhibition game than anything. But, he'll have to play like he did last year vs LA in the playoffs if he wants complete trust of management.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Could damage both their trade values if Lu goes on a tear. Teams would try to buy low on Schneider and purposely hold out on Luongo, knowing our cap situation.
We shouldn't be basing our season on either goalie's percieved trade value. We need a #1 goalie we can count on for THIS season...if Schneider needs to wait another year to take the reigns, so be it...but we need to figure out who we're rolling with. If Schneider isn't ready, we'll find out soon enough and we can roll with Luongo.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:45 PM
serge2k

Quote:

No, you don't bench your #1 after 26 minutes.

Obviously you pull him in a situation like last night. But then he comes out the next game (or game after in this case) and gets right back to work.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Canucker, I agree with you that Schneider should have to prove himself in those tough starts but as I saw it, Schneider let in 5 goals in 26 minutes on 14 shots and Luongo let in 2 goals in 34 minutes in 12 shots. I find it difficult to say Luongo was as bad as Schneider last night. I'll give him a mulligan on that, it was more an exhibition game than anything. But, he'll have to play like he did last year vs LA in the playoffs if he wants complete trust of management.
If you look at the goals Luongo let in, they were probably worse than any of the goals Schneider let in.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:47 PM
YogiCanucks

I don't know how anyone could favour the Canucks in tonights game. Better team at home you'd think so but half of Edmonton's team has been playing in the minors all year and we're on the second night of a back to back on the first game of the season with a 6 day prep.

Oilers should dominate the league and will fall from grace onces everyone else catches up

Old
01-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
I doubt Alain Vigneault cares all that much, and as a result, I don't think the fact that Gillis is entertaining offers for Luongo is all that relevant. Vigneault is going to coach the team he has. Right now he has both Luongo and Schneider.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:49 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Anyone got a stream site?
https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...om:gcl:scrsbnv

atdhe?

Old
01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
blow out with the sedin leading the way

Old
Askel

Quote:
Gamecenter doesnt work from Sweden (my Viasat account is ****ing up)

Ill try adthe.

Old
Canucker

Quote:
I doubt Alain Vigneault cares all that much, and as a result, I don't think the fact that Gillis is entertaining offers for Luongo is all that relevant. Vigneault is going to coach the team he has. Right now he has both Luongo and Schneider.
It doesn't change the fact that Schneider is at some point going to have to take the reigns and be treated like a #1 goalie. AV might be the coach, but he'd have to be a pretty ignorant guy to not understand that he might lose his #1B option and still not know if he can completely rely on his #1A to stand on his own.

Closed Thread