HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lupul extended - 5 years x 5.25m

Old
01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
The Blue Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
1 game in the NHL showed a lot, but to be accurate add on 30 games in the AHL, and 10 games at the end of the NHL season for Bozak and your inference is moot.

Nazem and Bozak are progressing just fine, and they have their best hockey still ahead of them.
So a couple of AHL games and 10 NHL games is enough to show that someone is better than the other?I'm pretty sure that there's been 10 games stretches where Grabo has outplayed Datsyuk, that doesn't make him better or even show that he could be better. You're always going on about Grabo's cold streak's when Bozak has the same one's playing with PPG wingers and isn't much younger than Grabo yet he has more potential? WOW!

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
So you're pointing to 1 game?

What if Grabo gets a hatty against Buf?
It's not one game, it's the progress of Kadri, this year at the AHL level, preseason(hatty) and evidence from last night's game he is ready to be a full time NHL player rather than another year in the AHL, do you not agree it is better to have him as a top 6 C than for him to spend another year with the Marlies? Bozak as much as you do not want to admit it was our best C the last 10 games of the season last year, and looks to have carried that on to this year. If you want to keep on misleading it is 1 game sample, be my guest.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
So a couple of AHL games and 10 NHL games is enough to show that someone is better than the other?I'm pretty sure that there's been 10 games stretches where Grabo has outplayed Datsyuk, that doesn't make him better or even show that he could be better. You're always going on about Grabo's cold streak's when Bozak has the same one's playing with PPG wingers and isn't much younger than Grabo yet he has more potential? WOW!
Let's see how this year plays out, for a guy with a Leafs logo in his avatar, you sure go out of your way to excuse everything that is Grabo, bad game, 5.5M contract. It's all good to you I guess.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:04 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
By elite you mean spearheaded one of the absolute worst defensive teams the past 3 year? Put up rather unremarkable numbers unless expected to pinch constantly and be scored against relentlessly only saving his + - by ensuring he is out when scoring lines are on.
Maybe it was the coach instructing him to do that...I mean even Komi was picnhing when any knowledgable fan would know that that isn't his game and there had to be reasoning behind it.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
My point is there is no reason to give Phaneuf a raise. Pay him $6.5M per again if that's the going rate. If he wants more then he can test UFA. I seriously doubt he'll get substantially more than that from any other team.
No one's arguing that, they're arguing that he's worth more than 5mil, which he is.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
This board's stupidity with regards to Phaneuf is amazing. Zeke's right with his arguments. The day we start being a good team, these arguments on Phaneuf will go away. Guy is going to turn 28, he's in his prime, this board thinks that this is too old?
There's posters who would like to see Kessel moved for "Younger" assets. People are insane.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
If Phaneuf is any kind of captain, or wants to be the Leafs captain going forward, he should set an example and sign for below market value. The Leafs need to start signing discount contracts, along the lines of what the core in Detroit and Vancouver have done.

If we can get Phaneuf locked up long term with a cap hit around 5 million, that would benefit the team a lot going forward. That would show guys like Kessel, Kadri, Gardiner, etc. that it's not all about hitting a huge pay day, it's about doing what's best for the team. Guys like Phaneuf and Kessel have been making big bucks for years, they should be willing to take less on a long term basis.
The differnce is that those clubs win, people want us to lose and expect to sign UFA's and our star players to discounts. Well, why the hell should they if they don't win?

Old
01-20-2013, 07:15 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Who's fault was it when Pacioretty blew by him to the outside 1 on 1 like he wasn't even there? I seem to recall as many excuses as false accusations over the years on here.

On the PK right before Montreal scored, why did he chase a skater behind the net? On the PK? Kids know better than that. Had he not done that, he'd have been on his assigned side, where the goal was scored from.

PK defense is by zone, nobody practices what to do on the PK if a defenseman chases behind the net.
Why didn't Kule just chip the puck out? If he had done that then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:16 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Chara: 9th, 12th, 9th, 18th, 8th
Letag finished 6th in his only recent healthy season.

It's funny, guys like Pronger used to be worshipped for their high penalty minute totals.

There are elite players on other crap teams, too.

You just used +/- in a hockey argument.

declinining all the way to being one of 3 dmen to finish top-15 in goals, points, hit, quality of competition, and icetime last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperglide View Post
Name some...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Lol? Tavares, Stamkos, half of Edmonton, Perry, Getzlaf, Eric Staal, Byfuglien, St. Louis, Kessel, and that's just the bottom ten.
Quote:
Oh really they are all defensemen? I didn't know that!!

Reading comprehension 101 needs to be a pre-requisite on these boards.

You're telling me, champ

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
There's posters who would like to see Kessel moved for "Younger" assets. People are insane.
You keep saying this when you know well, these posters also said one important thing you keep forgetting to mention. Only if he has no intentions of re-signing here. If we miss the playoffs again there is no guarantee he will. Most 27 year old athletes in their prime want a chance to win a championship.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:27 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Oh really they are all defensemen? I didn't know that!!

Reading comprehension 101 needs to be a pre-requisite on these boards.
For you maybe. Zeke said "There are elite players on other crap teams, too." he didn't just say Dmen.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:32 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Let's see how this year plays out, for a guy with a Leafs logo in his avatar, you sure go out of your way to excuse everything that is Grabo, bad game, 5.5M contract. It's all good to you I guess.
I like Kadri's potential and I'm very high on him and he could very well turn out better than Grabo, I doubt it happens this season.

For someone who claims to be a Leafs fan you seem to like to excuse everyone from mistakes except our most consistent player.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
I like Kadri's potential and I'm very high on him and he could very well turn out better than Grabo, I doubt it happens this season.

For someone who claims to be a Leafs fan you seem to like to excuse everyone from mistakes except our most consistent player.
He is not consistent, let's give the Grabo stuff a rest. Even I tire of it. It's his contract I don't like. At 2.9M per we could live with his hot and cold streaks, but at 5.5M the expectations change. Dion catches a lot of flak for making 6.5M per, if Grabo does not improve his performance to a level of a 5.5M player will these same posters critique him equally? Last night's game was a fair critique of a player not playing to his salary.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Russell Oliver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Something about signing a player right after a breakout season (although a shortened one) doesn't sit well with me.

I'd like to see how he does in this shortened season before throwing big money and term at him (and yes, I know he's been productive in the past).

I hope they are just seeing where his camp's head's at #'s wise first.

He's a good player, but odds are he's not going to maintain his all-star performance from last season.
Hopefully he's part of the Loungo deal, looks like Nonis is just reincarnation of Burke only with greater Gurth.

Russell Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:17 PM
HOTD
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Here's a hint: Maybe, possibly, maybe, one of those names will actually reach the open UFA market.

Here's another hint: It won't be Letang or Girardi.
That's more of a statement or a guess.

HOTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:20 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
He is not consistent, let's give the Grabo stuff a rest. Even I tire of it. It's his contract I don't like. At 2.9M per we could live with his hot and cold streaks, but at 5.5M the expectations change. Dion catches a lot of flak for making 6.5M per, if Grabo does not improve his performance to a level of a 5.5M player will these same posters critique him equally? Last night's game was a fair critique of a player not playing to his salary.
He's getting paid what most 50-60 point players are getting paid. It's your act that's getting tiresome. If he was as consistent as you want him to be then he'd be making a lot more than 5.5mil.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
He's getting paid what most 50-60 point players are getting paid. It's your act that's getting tiresome. If he was as consistent as you want him to be then he'd be making a lot more than 5.5mil.
I've heard this act before, more like 35-58 points, try to be accurate next time.

Like it or not, not all fans ignore he is the highest paid fwd on the Leafs like you do, he should be consistently better than Bozak or Kadri this year. Not 3rd best like last night.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:30 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
I've heard this act before, more like 35-58 points, try to be accurate next time.

Like it or not, not all fans ignore he is the highest paid fwd on the Leafs like you do, he should be consistently better than Bozak or Kadri this year. Not 3rd best like last night.
The year he got 35 points he played 59 games which is roughly a 50+ point pace. So yes, as it stands he is a 50-60 point player. Your act is getting real tiresome, the same shtick over and over, do you ever get tired?

Old
01-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
The year he got 35 points he played 59 games which is roughly a 50+ point pace. So yes, as it stands he is a 50-60 point player. Your act is getting real tiresome, the same shtick over and over, do you ever get tired?
50 points equals 5.5M, that's really logical. Using this logic, Bozak is worth 5M per, 47 in 73 games, 50+ point pace. Really you need to give your head a good shake and ask yourself is Grabo's play worth being the highest paid fwd on the team when he DOES NOT play that way. Surprise me when you can be objective enough to make that jump.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:45 PM
81Leafs50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
If you're paying more than 5 million for a player, you better make sure he's worth sacrificing in another area of your line-up. Is Lupul good enough to do that?
are you referring to the .75?

Teams in the NHL have gotten around bad contracts and tight cap situations for years.

Connolly and Lombardi are case in point.

Don't sweat it. Leafs will be fine.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTD View Post
That's more of a statement or a guess.
You can bet on it.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Lupul is no different than any other player on this roster, he was re-upped at 1M per year from his previous salary. Expectations change with being one of the highest paid on the team. We got a discount last year with a 67 point in 66 game season at 4.25M per. Saying that I can justify the salary with a player who is obviously been given a leadership role on the team this year, and is a respected player by his peers. 5.25M is pricey but given the Grabo precedent set last year, we can consider ourselves lucky he took less to stay a Leaf. It's only .750 more than Komi, so all in all it is not a terrible contract given the circumstances.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:45 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Cap should be the least of our problems...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Ryan Getzlaf ($6.250m) / Corey Perry ($6.250m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.000m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Leo Komarov ($0.000m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
David Steckel ($1.000m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
Ryan Hamilton ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($2.500m) / Morgan Rielly ($1.775m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Cody Franson ($1.250m)
Mike Kostka ($0.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,403,333; BONUSES: $1,150,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $46,667

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:54 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If the Leafs were ever in a position to get two top UFA's, they wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy out two of Grabovski, Liles, Komisarek etc to make it happen.
This, I think, is the bottom line. If we had the opportunity to sign two top UFAs, there'd no better time to flex the financial muscle known as MLSE to make it happen.

WRT Lupul's contract... The last season and a half convinced me that he has no post-concussion symptoms, and the infection issue is completely behind him. I don't see any red flags that would have me concerned about his ability to play 82 games in any given season. If he can continue getting 60+ points a season, this will be a good deal. If he can come close to being a PPG player, it will be a steal.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Cap should be the least of our problems...

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Ryan Getzlaf ($6.250m) / Corey Perry ($6.250m)
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.000m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Leo Komarov ($0.000m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($5.500m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
David Steckel ($1.000m) / Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
Ryan Hamilton ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m) / Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)
Carl Gunnarsson ($2.500m) / Morgan Rielly ($1.775m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Cody Franson ($1.250m)
Mike Kostka ($0.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($1.250m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
BUYOUTS
Darcy Tucker ($1.000m) / Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,403,333; BONUSES: $1,150,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $46,667
Perry and Getzlaf are going to get more than that.

I'd be think $7m is where there going looking at.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote