HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part 1 **

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I might be mistaken, but wasn't Jones only taking them when Staz was thrown out? Also Barrie was on a 5 on 3 because EJ was injured and ROB was called for a penalty. He shouldn't have been the guy in front of the net though, that's for sure.
I think you're right.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Wow guys relax its only one game. Lets see how the next few games go.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I wonder if Quinn and Big Sexy (O'Byrne) share a can of pomade.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:14 PM
anleva

VS.

Maybe you are right. Crawford has a straw like quality to his hair. Like it would hurt your hand to touch it.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I am no Joe fan, butSacco's gameplay last night was great and showed how we can dominiate if we play a full 60 mins. I don't understand how it was his fault for EJ getting hurt, RoB getting a weak call against, and Downie losing control?

On that 5v3 he had Zanon, Barrie, Hejda, and Wilson. I know they cleared the puck and the group was tired so you had to put Barrie out there, except if people wanted McLeod as a defenseman in hat situation.

I would say the only mistake he did was not taking Wilson off the first pairing.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I am no Joe fan, butSacco's gameplay last night was great and showed how we can dominiate if we play a full 60 mins. I don't understand how it was his fault for EJ getting hurt, RoB getting a weak call against, and Downie losing control?

On that 5v3 he had Zanon, Barrie, Hejda, and Wilson. I know they cleared the puck and the group was tired so you had to put Barrie out there, except if people wanted McLeod as a defenseman in hat situation.

I would say the only mistake he did was not taking Wilson off the first pairing.
Honestly, I'd have tossed Bordeleau out there and told him to mess up anyone that came near the crease. Let the others chase the puck and he could just keep the crease clear. I really liked his game last night, kept it simple out there and played about as well as any 4th liner should.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:28 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down

I thought that even strength the avs looked like the better team. I also think that 6 minutes of penalties were a result of bad calls

(Downie's initial penalty, which spurred him to try to get his money's worth and take another as a direct result, thus 4 mins there)

The penalty in front of the Wild bench where a forearm touches the Wild player's face, so he drops his glove and stick and grabs his head (diving/embellishment? at least take them both?)

All in all, especially in an away game with a short training camp, I am satisfied with the on ice product. Obviously there is much to work on, and I have long been a proponent of firing Sacco, but maybe not quite yet?

Old
01-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Foppa2118

If Colorado is to have another dissapointing season (and it's obviously too early to tell) I think Sacco's biggest downfall will be that he wasn't able to teach the players how to be more consistant, and better all around players. Also that he wasn't able to get the best out of his best players in Stastny and Duchene.

The young team excuse can only last so long. I just hope Ryan Miller craps the bed and Buffao goes on a losing streak at the same time the Avs do, so they can bring in Lindy Ruff. He's the kind of coach that can mold a young team with promise, into a championship caliber team that plays hard and smart on a consistant basis.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:08 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
If Colorado is to have another dissapointing season (and it's obviously too early to tell) I think Sacco's biggest downfall will be that he wasn't able to teach the players how to be more consistant, and better all around players. Also that he wasn't able to get the best out of his best players in Stastny and Duchene.

The young team excuse can only last so long. I just hope Ryan Miller craps the bed and Buffao goes on a losing streak at the same time the Avs do, so they can bring in Lindy Ruff. He's the kind of coach that can mold a young team with promise, into a championship caliber team that plays hard and smart on a consistant basis.
But... Ruff never worked for the Avs before. Not even as a janitor!

Old
01-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Dream sceniero flyer lose next game against the devils, Homer fires Lavio and the avs finally get a real coach.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
billybobjoe2112

vCash: 50
Quote:
Ruff hasn't worked with our organization. We won't appoint him to head coach.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 5548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Sacco should be fired, but it has very little to do with yesterday's game. The man just isn't a good coach, I don't know why it's hard for you and other people to accept this.
i believe that most of us ( if not all of us ) can see that Sacco have some major flaws in his game . But like everthing else , in hockey or in life for that matter , it's not making a change the problem , it's who will replace him.

I'm scare that we're gonna end up with another rookie coach and the team wont be able to progress. God , a few Years ago we had Q , who had experience in coaching and he did an ok job , at best with our roster , to later go in Chicago and... well we know the rest .

One of the guy that comes in mind and that the avs should have taken a chance on is Ken Hitchcock. Look what he did with the CBJ and most important what he's doing with St-Louis . We need someone like him, who knows what he's doing with a good system.

oh and btw , dont expect any coaching change , fror the Avs on a short season .

Last edited by Frenchy: 01-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Drij

I can see him getting the boot if the season goes south fast.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
oh and btw , dont expect any coaching change , fror the Avs on a short season .
I won't "expect" it, but it seems clear the Avs are prepared to make a change if they don't like what they see, shortened year or not.

Regardless of a shortened season, this one counts just as much as the others. I seriously doubt there's any organization out there saying they should take a pass. It might make them think twice on a kid in the organization and whether to keep them with the big club, but apart from that, I doubt Sacco has been given any bit of slack because the season is 48 games.

I agree it probably won't happen until after the season unless the Avs REALLY tank at some point, but I think if the Avs miss the postseason, Sacco's a goner, fair or not.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
Ruff hasn't worked with our organization. We won't appoint him to head coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
But... Ruff never worked for the Avs before. Not even as a janitor!
I know it's a longshot, but I'm holding out hope that management will finally start to see the necessity of an experienced and proven coach. I can't imagine they would have the balls to promote Army or Quinn if the team has another bad season. I could be wrong but I think they would have to make a strong statement with the next coaching hire, rather than another relative unknown guy. For the sake of Sherman's job alone, because if the next guy falters, it's probably Sherman's ass next.

Besides, who the hell is left in their connections. It seems like they've scraped the bottom of the barrell by now. It doesn't look like Roy will make his way here, and Hartley is in Calgary. If they bring back Crawford or Granato again though I may just stop watching this team until the next coach is hired.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I won't "expect" it, but it seems clear the Avs are prepared to make a change if they don't like what they see, shortened year or not.

Regardless of a shortened season, this one counts just as much as the others. I seriously doubt there's any organization out there saying they should take a pass. It might make them think twice on a kid in the organization and whether to keep them with the big club, but apart from that, I doubt Sacco has been given any bit of slack because the season is 48 games.

I agree it probably won't happen until after the season unless the Avs REALLY tank at some point, but I think if the Avs miss the postseason, Sacco's a goner, fair or not.
Would be great. I might even accept another total bust of a season aka tankjob (great draft and only 48 games to suffer through) if that means that he is gone.

I think it is kind of telling that our best players the last few years were rookies, sophomores or newly acquired players. Meanwhile it looks like longer the guys practice under Sacco the more they start sucking...

Maybe that statement is a little bit of a hyperbole but the point is that our young talent stagnates under Sacco. That is kind of bad when you look at the age of our "core".

He just is not a good coach...

Old
01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Would be great. I might even accept another total bust of a season aka tankjob (great draft and only 48 games to suffer through) if that means that he is gone.

I think it is kind of telling that our best players the last few years were rookies, sophomores or newly acquired players. Meanwhile it looks like longer the guys practice under Sacco the more they start sucking...

Maybe that statement is a little bit of a hyperbole but the point is that our young talent stagnates under Sacco. That is kind of bad when you look at the age of our "core".

He just is not a good coach...
Well, personally I think it's a bit much to "want" your team to fail because you want the coach gone, but to each his own. I think if the team succeeds under Sacco, he'll have deserved a reprieve. Hartley was fired, what, just over a year after winning the Cup? The Sword of Damocles is always hanging above a coach's head.

Personally, I think Sacco has reached that point that almost all coaches reach where key players aren't improving (in some cases, even regressing) under his tutelage, and they're tuning him out. It sucks, but it happens. I wouldn't mind seeing a new bench boss next season, but I also want management to take some steps to give that next coach some better talent, because Sacco hasn't been given that.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1472
Fire the hotdog vendor!!!

Old
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Fire the hotdog vendor!!!
Or promote him! He would be ace as a steward!

Old
01-20-2013, 05:51 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
I know it's a longshot, but I'm holding out hope that management will finally start to see the necessity of an experienced and proven coach. I can't imagine they would have the balls to promote Army or Quinn if the team has another bad season. I could be wrong but I think they would have to make a strong statement with the next coaching hire, rather than another relative unknown guy. For the sake of Sherman's job alone, because if the next guy falters, it's probably Sherman's ass next.

Besides, who the hell is left in their connections. It seems like they've scraped the bottom of the barrell by now. It doesn't look like Roy will make his way here, and Hartley is in Calgary. If they bring back Crawford or Granato again though I may just stop watching this team until the next coach is hired.
Welp, lets see here.

1. Avs fire Hartley -> bring in Granado
2. Avs fire Quinville -> bring in Granado
3. Avs fire Granado -> bring in Sacco
4. Avs finish TERRIBLY -> keep Sacco and EXTEND him -> new coaching staff: promotion from within

... Ya, that's happened for a good decade now. I don't think its changing till the people at top change.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Welp, lets see here.

1. Avs fire Hartley -> bring in Granado
2. Avs fire Quinville -> bring in Granado
3. Avs fire Granado -> bring in Sacco
4. Avs finish TERRIBLY -> keep Sacco and EXTEND him -> new coaching staff: promotion from within

... Ya, that's happened for a good decade now. I don't think its changing till the people at top change.
You're probably right, but you got to think they'll stop thinking Avalanche fans are stupid at some point, and prove to the team and fans they're interested in winning by hiring an experienced coach for a change. Just seems like it would be rather embarrassing if they kept hiring these unproven guys when they keep failing. Then again maybe they just don't care.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
You're probably right, but you got to think they'll stop thinking Avalanche fans are stupid at some point, and prove to the team and fans they're interested in winning by hiring an experienced coach for a change. Just seems like it would be rather embarrassing if they kept hiring these unproven guys when they keep failing. Then again maybe they just don't care.
Unfortunately this is just not a club that really listens to its fans. I for one don't think they're willing to pay a competitive salary for coaches, hence why they always promote from within.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Hell no!

I want the tank this year. Short season, it's like dry heaving instead of puking.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Hell no!

I want the tank this year. Short season, it's like dry heaving instead of puking.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Sacco won't be fired mid-season, but if we miss the play-offs this year I think he's gone.

I just hope our next head coach has had some NHL experience.

Closed Thread