HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Surprise!
This.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
OCTA8ON

vCash: 500
I say, if 2 out of the 3 players listed below play exceedingly well, then we trade Jordan Schmaltz, Ty Rattie, and D'agistini for a serious defensive partner for Petro.

1. Stewart
2. Tarasenko
3. Schwartz

My reasoning for this is: It is hard to tell how Rattie will transition into the NHL. There are so many players that do well in the WHL and don't pan out at all in the NHL. Take Scott Nichol for instance. Do you guys realize that he had 93 points in 65 games with the Portland Winterhawks back in the day? I understand that the game has changed a lot since then, but my point still stands. Just because Rattie produces a lot in the WHL doesn't have as much certainty in the NHL, but right now he has a higher market value than before since putting up more points in the WHL and playing pretty well in the WJC.

Also, when I saw Jordan Schmaltz get drafted, he didn't seem very excited to get drafted by our organization. He reiterated several times that he grew up as a blackhawks fan. I just sense that he would rather be somewhere else, and that is not really an attitude any of our prospects should have. We can trade Schmaltz, Rattie, and D'agistini for a left handed Dman that can put up 25+ points with a high plus minus.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Thekidline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
I say, if 2 out of the 3 players listed below play exceedingly well, then we trade Jordan Schmaltz, Ty Rattie, and D'agistini for a serious defensive partner for Petro.

1. Stewart
2. Tarasenko
3. Schwartz

My reasoning for this is: It is hard to tell how Rattie will transition into the NHL. There are so many players that do well in the WHL and don't pan out at all in the NHL. Take Scott Nichol for instance. Do you guys realize that he had 93 points in 65 games with the Portland Winterhawks back in the day? I understand that the game has changed a lot since then, but my point still stands. Just because Rattie produces a lot in the WHL doesn't have as much certainty in the NHL, but right now he has a higher market value than before since putting up more points in the WHL and playing pretty well in the WJC.

Also, when I saw Jordan Schmaltz get drafted, he didn't seem very excited to get drafted by our organization. He reiterated several times that he grew up as a blackhawks fan. I just sense that he would rather be somewhere else, and that is not really an attitude any of our prospects should have. We can trade Schmaltz, Rattie, and D'agistini for a left handed Dman that can put up 25+ points with a high plus minus.
I agree with the idea of this post, and with that the 3 players mentioned are expendable but I would say that Schmaltz will have a significantly higher trade value 1 or 2 years from now and I would like to see the blues hold on to him at least until then.... Just think if we traded a guy like Jaskin last season just after he was drafted? our return this year would be much higher as he is having a monster season in the Q. I don't think the excitement level that he had when he was drafted matters at all. Maybe he just saw how stacked we already are on the right side of the blue line.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Yep. Interesting move.

I like it more for the fact that it says the Blues are a destination for UFAs and a strong contender. I'm not really sure what to expect from Redden at this point, but the price and terms couldn't be better, so its low risk from the Blues.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:08 PM
Alklha

Jesus. 1 day into the new season and the Trade board is already a warzone!

Old
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Also, when I saw Jordan Schmaltz get drafted, he didn't seem very excited to get drafted by our organization. He reiterated several times that he grew up as a blackhawks fan. I just sense that he would rather be somewhere else, and that is not really an attitude any of our prospects should have.
One of the dumber takes I've seen lately.

Well done.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:41 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Jesus. 1 day into the new season and the Trade board is already a warzone!
Yup. The Blues ones seem to be some of the worse ones. There is utter sillyness going on out there. One game in and there are fans wanting complete rebuilds.

Its quite entertaining and kinda difficult to stay out of.

Must...resist...

Old
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
One of the dumber takes I've seen lately.

Well done.
You do realize that some players react differently when they are drafted by different teams? You do realize that a player's attitude towards the team they play for can influence their performance right? You have played hockey before right? You do know who Jeff Carter is right? Maybe we shouldn't trade Schmaltz based off of that reason solely, but we definitely don't need a right handed defensemen anytime in the near future, and him being a first round draft pick can be used as leverage towards getting Petro a stable parter…

Also, grow up with the insulting. A lot of people on the Blues's forum like being able to freely speak their minds. We don't need people like you stating other people's posts as stupid, idiotic, or retarded. Have some class for once. We are all rooting for the same team here.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
Yup. The Blues ones seem to be some of the worse ones. There is utter sillyness going on out there. One game in and there are fans wanting complete rebuilds.

Its quite entertaining and kinda difficult to stay out of.

Must...resist...
It is entertaining to a degree, but some of it is just baiting. For example, the guy who is going on about Tarasenko being inconsistent is just there to start an argument. Instead of making his point, he asked the question about Tarasenko so he would have a couple of people to quote before spouting his nonsense.

Whenever I venture into the trade forums, I have to remember... don't argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
You do realize that some players react differently when they are drafted by different teams? You do realize that a player's attitude towards the team they play for can influence their performance right? You have played hockey before right? You do know who Jeff Carter is right? Maybe we shouldn't trade Schmaltz based off of that reason solely, but we definitely don't need a right handed defensemen anytime in the near future, and him being a first round draft pick can be used as leverage towards getting Petro a stable parter…

Also, grow up with the insulting. A lot of people on the Blues's forum like being able to freely speak their minds. We don't need people like you stating other people's posts as stupid, idiotic, or retarded. Have some class for once. We are all rooting for the same team here.
Developing a quality RH defenseman is definitely a priority. You can't count on Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, and Polak being Blues forever, or even staying healthy for that matter. There is zero functional organizational depth behind them at that position right now.

Personally, I have no concern whatsoever that Schmaltz's attitude is a problem with regards to his development or his place in this organization.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:37 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:

That's a lot of questions, right?

99.9% of players not named Eric Lindros couldn't give two craps about the team that drafted them, particularly a player whom the Blues made a first round pick (with the bigger signing bonus, AHL salary, etc) when his stock was falling precipitously all season.

You're very emphatic opinion was centered on what?...the 3 minutes he was at the podium with the Blues brass and the limited interviews he gave after being selected?

I worked in the USHL during the two years Schmaltz played in the league and trust me, that kid was thrilled that the Blues saw enough promise in him to draft him in the first round after a less than stellar season compared to his first junior season in Sioux City.

As for your second point, what NHL organization isn't looking to develop offensively gifted right-handed defenseman? It's one of the more coveted players in the sport.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:43 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post

As for your second point, what NHL organization isn't looking to develop offensively gifted right-handed defenseman? It's one of the more coveted players in the sport.
I apologize if I'm weary of a Jeff Carter type situation here. Those situations do happen.

As for the whole right handed defensemen situation, of course any team would like to have them, but its not a priority of the blues anytime soon. A much larger priority is finding a partner for Pietrangelo, and if we need to trade Jordan Schmaltz away to get that piece, then I'm in full support. That's all my initial post was really saying.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Alklha

Quote:
I apologize if I'm weary of a Jeff Carter type situation here. Those situations do happen.

As for the whole right handed defensemen situation, of course any team would like to have them, but its not a priority of the blues anytime soon. A much larger priority is finding a partner for Pietrangelo, and if we need to trade Jordan Schmaltz away to get that piece, then I'm in full support. That's all my initial post was really saying.
It all comes back to drafting the best player available, there is no point in taking a player we rate lower based on current needs. Needs can change in an instant with a trade (say Kulikov+Bjugstad for Shattenkirk+Jaškin), suddenly we need RHD and are set on LHD.

If Schmaltz develops as we all hope, and our RHD is still the same, then we have a good problem.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:35 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:

I think it depends on the player. If Gormley or someone to that affect would be coming back, I would definitely make the consideration. Right now, the Blues are drafting kids to be of use in 3-5 years instead of 1-3 like most teams. Look at the guys we are going after, they all are further out. This is a very intelligent move as salaries are more important to this team than a lot of our heavy competition who can spend a lot of extra dough.

I wouldn't be so quick to move Schmaltz. Who knows, when he is in full swing and ready to go, there is no guarantee that we are that loaded in the RHD spot.

We do need a partner for Petro, but he could very well be on the team already. I am in the boat for giving Cole a shot and seeing what he can come up with when given a real long term shot at the position.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
It is entertaining to a degree, but some of it is just baiting. For example, the guy who is going on about Tarasenko being inconsistent is just there to start an argument. Instead of making his point, he asked the question about Tarasenko so he would have a couple of people to quote before spouting his nonsense.

Whenever I venture into the trade forums, I have to remember... don't argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Very well said!!

The frank/murray thread is quite funny, but some of the other STL threads are even worse!!

Old
01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

One thing we should be looking at is how Phoenix and the NYR come out of the gate. If they struggle (combined 0-3-0 so far) maybe they're more willing to deal a surplus quality defenseman to get something needed back on offense.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

The thread asking for Yakupov is pretty bad honestly. Not sure why we would look for winger.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:25 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

No offense to the OP, but that was awful. I understand the logic but usually, Blues fans do not post proposals that bad...

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 01-21-2013 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Keeping it anonymous. OP knows who he is, and this might save him a bit of embarrassment if he regrets starting the thread.
Old
01-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
The thread asking for Yakupov is pretty bad honestly. Not sure why we would look for winger.

Yeah, who needs dynamic wingers

Sincerely,

Vlad Tarasenko

Old
01-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Mike Liut

Quote:
No offense to the OP, but that was awful. I understand the logic but usually, Blues fans do not post proposals that bad...

After the season, you wouldn't trade Stewart, Cole and a !st (or Jaskin) for Yakupov? That dude is going to be better than Tarasenko.

I know I would. Plus, Tarasenko might love having another Russian on the team.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Alklha

Nice to think how good the Blues would look with these young potential superstars (Benn, Yakupov, etc) on the team, but making such moves would make no sense when it came to the future of the team on the ice.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:11 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
After the season, you wouldn't trade Stewart, Cole and a !st (or Jaskin) for Yakupov? That dude is going to be better than Tarasenko.

Dude, just enjoy the Cup run that's happening THIS SEASON.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Yeah, who needs dynamic wingers

Sincerely,

Vlad Tarasenko
If we didn't have Tarasenko, I would agree with you. I haven't given up on Stewart or Cole. If I'm giving up assets, I'd put it towards a center.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:43 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:

Its not that I wouldn't want him on our team, but I don't think we need to trade that much for a position of strength on our team. We are built in such a way where 3 lines provide constant pressure and the 4th takes minutes away from other top lines.

Some teams build around 3 (or so) players, we build an entire team. When contracts roll around, they are spaced out and we don't pay anyone superstar money (until Frank gets paid). Having two would seriously damper our situation and what we are trying to build here. We don't want to pull a "Chicago" and overpay for one cup, we are trying to build a dynasty here.

I don't think the value is off, but I would say "thanks but no thanks"

Just my opinion though.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Its not that I wouldn't want him on our team, but I don't think we need to trade that much for a position of strength on our team. We are built in such a way where 3 lines provide constant pressure and the 4th takes minutes away from other top lines.

Some teams build around 3 (or so) players, we build an entire team. When contracts roll around, they are spaced out and we don't pay anyone superstar money (until Frank gets paid). Having two would seriously damper our situation and what we are trying to build here. We don't want to pull a "Chicago" and overpay for one cup, we are trying to build a dynasty here.

I don't think the value is off, but I would say "thanks but no thanks"

Just my opinion though.
This is basically it.

If we want to be Cup contenders then we either need an elite offensive center or have depth. I prefer the depth option, but it also relies on players taking discounts to be on a perennial contender.

Even at this point, we are really going to struggle to keep everyone in the summer. It is going to be a choice of signing Stewart and letting McDonald head to UFA or keep McDonald and (hopefully) get a nice return for Stewart. I'd go with the latter, once McDonald is finished we'll have Rattie/Jaškin to step into that role.

I'd also love to see Petro, Shattenkirk and Berglund all sign 8 year deals, at the right price, in the summer. I know not everyone agrees with that though.

Closed Thread