HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#01 | New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders | Jan 19 | L 1-2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 03:22 PM
  #776
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Learned a lesson or realized cap hits have changed so they're forced to let them develop like a winner would.

I'm thrilled. Strome, Nino, Reinhart.....they have a chance Bailey, Nino and others DID NOT HAVE.

A chance to succeed.
no matter what the reason, I'm glad they're doing it right.

And while Nino was horrible last year, his play in the AHL this year proves that last year didn't hurt him that much.

I expect next time we see Nino, he'll be a completely different player. Even in that scrimmage he was great. That power move he made ala Oleg, but he actually scored was beautiful. He wouldn't have tried that last year.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
  #777
CaptDenisPotvin
Registered User
 
CaptDenisPotvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Yeah I am not a fan for the dump and chase but when done the right way it's very effective
I think the dump and chase should be what the islanders do because the talent isnt there to deke through a defense (other than JT). But when you dump it in you have to put a beating on the opposing defense and we arent physical enough to pull that off. I would take it one step further and dump it into the same corner time and time again to wear out one side of the defense. Wishful thinking but i would think after awhile of the same thing a defenseman might rush to get away from a hit and make a bad pass or two/ give aways that we can turn into scoring opportunities.

But from what ive seen we are physical enough for dump and chase and arent talented enough to carry it into the offensive zone and make plays. Soooo.....any ideas?

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:01 PM
  #778
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Went to the game, my thoughts:

The Good
- Nabakov was a rock in net, doesn't seem to have lost a step at all from last season.
- Hamonic and MacDonald continue to be a sturdy defensive pairing. Both of them had great games, MacDonald made a lot of smart defensive plays and Hamonic is a man amongst boys on this team.
- Grabner looked pretty good, much better than he did last season but it's only one game.
- Matt Martin works his ass off all the time
- Brad Boyes looked OKAY, actually seemed to hustle a bit. Still don't expect much from him, but wasn't as invisible as I thought he'd be.


The Bad
- The Tavares line was COMPLETELY shut down, I don't think I've ever seen him shut down that bad before. First Islander game in a long time where I literally didn't remember seeing JT the entire game.
- What is with all these no name players in our line-up? I knew we were doomed from the moment I was questioning who this and that player was and where the hell they came from! Let's put it this way, it's only because they are playing for us that these random guys are even in the NHL right now and I hope that changes REAL fast. Bring up Cizikas, give Nino a look after his AHL stint...anything is better than these random no names we had playing tonight.
- I love Streit, but he continues to be a defensive liability in his own zone just like last season. He seems to overhandle the puck, tries to be too fancy and takes his god damn time bringing it up the ice. If he could just stick to a simple and quick kind of game, he'd be a much more solid player for us.
- Marty Reasoner is the worst Islander I've seen since we had Gervais, there is literally no reason why he should have a spot on our team. The same goes for Eric Boulton.


IMO it's going to be a looooooooooooooong season and I've thought that all off-season, but I think next season is definitely our year considering we'll have our future home ahead of us finally and our prospects should start blossoming into NHLers.
The bolded part got me thinking about next season.
No, I'm not packing it in already.
ITS ONLY BEEN ONE GAME!
(That's something we need to remember. Yes, KO stunk, and the Isles looked like fish out of water...but...IT WAS ONE GAME!)

Okay...next season.
This could be its own thread and will be in about 5/6 months.

Next season:
Probably Strome
Probably Kabanov
Probably Nino
Possibly Petrov.
Possibly Nelson.

There are 5 names with potential.
Let's take away 5 names from last night's lineup.
Let's take away all those no-names....
Plus, Bailey, while not being a player who can tilt the fate of a game, is better than any of those no-names. Can't forget about his absence.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:14 PM
  #779
Noreaster96
Registered User
 
Noreaster96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Learned a lesson or realized cap hits have changed so they're forced to let them develop like a winner would.

I'm thrilled. Strome, Nino, Reinhart.....they have a chance Bailey, Nino and others DID NOT HAVE.

A chance to succeed.
I'm glad we're giving Nino a chance... I mean, imagine what Nino could've been if we had given Nino the same treatment we're giving Nino


Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:38 PM
  #780
Neverlose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
I'm giving the Isles a pass for last night's game but I'm expecting a much better showing tomorrow, win or lose.

Neverlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:44 PM
  #781
original islander
Registered User
 
original islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
no matter what the reason, I'm glad they're doing it right.

And while Nino was horrible last year, his play in the AHL this year proves that last year didn't hurt him that much.

I expect next time we see Nino, he'll be a completely different player. Even in that scrimmage he was great. That power move he made ala Oleg, but he actually scored was beautiful. He wouldn't have tried that last year.
You bring up a good point that it looks like last year didn't hurt Niño as much as we may have thought. He played well in the AHL this year from the start which meant his confidence wasn't destroyed.

While he had no business being with the team last year it can be argued that playing and practicing with bigger faster players aided in his development. He went into the Bridge this year having adjusted to a faster pace which wouldn't have happened if he stayed in juniors. Sometimes not meeting with immediate success reveals character.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:46 PM
  #782
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlose View Post
I'm giving the Isles a pass for last night's game but I'm expecting a much better showing tomorrow, win or lose.
It'll probably take a week or two for things to normalize, I just hope they don't dig themselves in too big of a hole until then. With that 5 game road trip coming up, we're going to know real quick how this season is going to go. The draft talk could be in serious discussions by the time February comes along.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:52 PM
  #783
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
The draft talk could be in serious discussions by the time February comes along.
So its just another regular season in Isles land.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
  #784
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It'll probably take a week or two for things to normalize, I just hope they don't dig themselves in too big of a hole until then. With that 5 game road trip coming up, we're going to know real quick how this season is going to go. The draft talk could be in serious discussions by the time February comes along.
What is the point of drafting so high? Aside from our no brainer Tavares pick, a team that has already finished in the lottery 5 straight times should have more talent on the ice than just Tavares. Hamonic was a second rounder so I don't see how you can attribute a lottery finish to landing Hamonic.

Anyways, I think we're obviously going to be one of the worst teams in the league this year. I just don't get what our plan is? Is it to go for Seth Jones? Mackinnon? And if we don't land those two, and we land a Strome type player, do we just keep accumulating top 5 picks?

A real GM would trade Okposo + for a real young defenseman with talent.

A real GM would make ludicrous offers to Perry and Getzlaf this offseason.

A real GM would then transition Nino into Okposo's spot. That's how you bring up young talent, you place them where they belong.

At some point, a combination of trades and free agent signings have to be made. I mean, the roster we are watching now is literally the worst I've seen in many years watching this team.

And the worst part is there is nobody to hold Garth Snow accountable. It's clear he can do whatever he wants, keep learning on the job, and keep dragging the franchise into the lottery without repercussion.

To me, as a fan for many years, I look at this team and I see a GM who doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing. A team doesn't suck this long with this type of roster. Sorry.

But, maybe we can make a miracle run. And it'll start... tomorrow?

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
  #785
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
I agree, the booing is for Wang but this could be the only way to try and send a message. Brooks had something in today's Post but it's his one yearly shot at Wang and not nearly enough. Wang has no pressure on him to run a class operation. The Islanders get laughed at around the league and it's all self inflicted. This year Visnovski does not want to play here, last year it was Christian Erhoff.
This is no accident.
Wang will face pressure once he gets out of the 'burbs. Once legit corporate sponsors want to pay bigger $ to be part of the Isles at BC, he'll upgrade. For now, he's gonna continue to run things on the cheap.

His biggest excuse (the arena) is gone. This offseason, any failed UFA signings are 100 percent on the organization as to how it conducts its business. The track record on Wang is poor and his biggest excuse is no longer available. Moreover, the team is now eligible for revenue sharing.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:02 PM
  #786
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
What is the point of drafting so high? Aside from our no brainer Tavares pick, a team that has already finished in the lottery 5 straight times should have more talent on the ice than just Tavares. Hamonic was a second rounder so I don't see how you can attribute a lottery finish to landing Hamonic.

Anyways, I think we're obviously going to be one of the worst teams in the league this year. I just don't get what our plan is? Is it to go for Seth Jones? Mackinnon? And if we don't land those two, and we land a Strome type player, do we just keep accumulating top 5 picks?

A real GM would trade Okposo + for a real young defenseman with talent.

A real GM would make ludicrous offers to Perry and Getzlaf this offseason.

A real GM would then transition Nino into Okposo's spot. That's how you bring up young talent, you place them where they belong.

At some point, a combination of trades and free agent signings have to be made. I mean, the roster we are watching now is literally the worst I've seen in many years watching this team.

And the worst part is there is nobody to hold Garth Snow accountable. It's clear he can do whatever he wants, keep learning on the job, and keep dragging the franchise into the lottery without repercussion.

To me, as a fan for many years, I look at this team and I see a GM who doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing. A team doesn't suck this long with this type of roster. Sorry.

But, maybe we can make a miracle run. And it'll start... tomorrow?
The plan is simple... Rebuild through the draft while concurrently minimizing as much overhead as possible. The isles used the arena situation as the excuse. That's gone. Wang will collect another top five pick this summer. Now, they'll have to pay to obtain players

I bet you any failures this summer will be directed at players don't want to come until they move to BC - watch for that excuse. It all comes down to whether a player believes the isles are trying to win. The writing is there they are NOT. Rebuilds need experienced coaches, not AHL ones or ones that act like they still play the game yet have zero experin e behind the bench.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:12 PM
  #787
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
The plan is simple... Rebuild through the draft while concurrently minimizing as much overhead as possible. The isles used the arena situation as the excuse. That's gone. Wang will collect another top five pick this summer. Now, they'll have to pay to obtain players

I bet you any failures this summer will be directed at players don't want to come until they move to BC - watch for that excuse. It all comes down to whether a player believes the isles are trying to win. The writing is there they are NOT. Rebuilds need experienced coaches, not AHL ones or ones that act like they still play the game yet have zero experin e behind the bench.
Yeah but do the Isles make offers that are more competitive than other offers? I think they don't, which is why they don't ever land the top guy. If someone is offering Perry 5 years 35 million, you have to offer 6 years and 40 million.

Seriously, will it kill us to overpay?

This is a GM who doesn't know how to build a hockey team, this isn't a "rebuild". And the owner has no care in the world how the team does, so I'm pretty convinced it'll take luck to ever be a winning hockey team. This will be 6 years of lottery finishes.

Something. Has. To. Give. The fans deserve better than this.

I was 15 when I started following hockey. I'm 25 now. In ten years, I have about 3 positive memories from this team. Only been to 2 playoff games. Never seen a winning playoff series.

I just feel sad inside, because I would do anything to watch a great Isles team. I would give up a ton. Our fandom for this team is never wavering, yet we never, ever get it back from management. It's all lies. Every season it's the same washed up lies.

Tavares will get sick of this. It's just a matter of when, and if this season goes as badly as I think it will, than we better hope our star doesn't start going to the media to voice his displeasure.

Anyways, I've been saying the same thing every season. I'm just on repeat. One day I'll be inside the Coliseum as it's rocking on our way to a huge win.

One day.


Last edited by IslesBeBack*: 01-20-2013 at 07:24 PM.
IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:03 PM
  #788
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Poulin 0n My St1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Wang will face pressure once he gets out of the 'burbs. Once legit corporate sponsors want to pay bigger $ to be part of the Isles at BC, he'll upgrade. For now, he's gonna continue to run things on the cheap.

His biggest excuse (the arena) is gone. This offseason, any failed UFA signings are 100 percent on the organization as to how it conducts its business. The track record on Wang is poor and his biggest excuse is no longer available. Moreover, the team is now eligible for revenue sharing.
Great post. Spot on. I'm so glad that Wang & Co. will be 100% exposed for the circus they are this summer when they sign more over-the-hill plugs to fill spots with no building excuse to hide behind. Of course, there won't be any repercussions for throwing **** at the wall. There's zero accountability by this organization for icing an AHL-calibre product every season.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
  #789
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 7,376
vCash: 500
My God... I hate this lineup more than anyone here, but wow people need to relax. It's one loss. One...

Somebody wants Okposo traded already... that's hysterical.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:22 PM
  #790
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,541
vCash: 500
The Rangers and Flyers both have two losses, people need to back off the ledge.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
  #791
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
The Rangers and Flyers both have two losses, people need to back off the ledge.
Those teams are SUPREMELY more talented than this Isles squad. Recognize when a spade is a spade.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:32 PM
  #792
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Those teams are SUPREMELY more talented than this Isles squad. Recognize when a spade is a spade.
without a doubt but this is going to be a weird season.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:50 PM
  #793
Moosie
Registered User
 
Moosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,981
vCash: 500
I did see an improvement in play in the second period over the first period last night. Thank God. Hopefully the boys will get some practice this week.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
  #794
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 5,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Those teams are SUPREMELY more talented than this Isles squad. Recognize when a spade is a spade.
the flyers actually just have a far better coach

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
  #795
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
The Rangers and Flyers both have two losses, people need to back off the ledge.
Have you seen the games though? You might have to slow down the video to follow, if you are used to watching the Isles.

There are some really solid teams and the level of skill and speed in a lot of games seams unreal. Guess it's much different than the lockout games I saw, be it Swiss, AHL, Jr....but by do the games have intensity. The Oilers are so damn skilled and fast, wow. Schultz will prob win Calder, what a player.

Isles have seen zero return from their lottery picks of yet, anyone who expected more (including Snow) was simply unrealistic. The on-ice product, regardless of the "it's just one game" angle, is just far away from the rest of the division. Far far away.


Last edited by redbull: 01-20-2013 at 11:44 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
  #796
TJ MAC
Registered User
 
TJ MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,426
vCash: 500
All is well. Strome & Niño will be ready by 2017 and Okposo will start to come out of his shell in his 7th season. Calm down people!

TJ MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:09 PM
  #797
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It'll probably take a week or two for things to normalize, I just hope they don't dig themselves in too big of a hole until then. With that 5 game road trip coming up, we're going to know real quick how this season is going to go. The draft talk could be in serious discussions by the time February comes along.
it looked like Islanders hockey to me.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
  #798
Paulinho
:baghead:
 
Paulinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
it looked like Islanders hockey to me.
Yup, they are in mid-season form.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
  #799
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It'll probably take a week or two for things to normalize, I just hope they don't dig themselves in too big of a hole until then. With that 5 game road trip coming up, we're going to know real quick how this season is going to go. The draft talk could be in serious discussions by the time February comes along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
it looked like Islanders hockey to me.
Pretty much. I ran the numbers from last year and barring any mistakes we went 400 vs the Atlantic and Northeast, and 650 vs the SE. Since the majority of the games will be Div vs Div, with only a couple of non conference games tossed in, it is hard to ignore the probability of the Isle's winding up at the bottom this year. We still have one line that once shut down almost guarantees a loss, haven't upgraded the defense at all when minus Vis, and haven't solved the problem of JT's missing helper. It also remains to be seen that we won't get pimp slapped by the physical teams again this year.

Bottom 5 looks like a given. Bottom-most is not far behind.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:13 AM
  #800
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
I'm glad we're giving Nino a chance... I mean, imagine what Nino could've been if we had given Nino the same treatment we're giving Nino

Oopsie.

A tale of two Ninos.....the one yanked for a tryout (cap relief) and the one left alone to develop (cap hit won't count).

I guess there are two Nino's thanks to the CBA.

Hey, I was rushing through right before work.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.