HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 02:37 PM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Personally, I just think wasting 1 year on an 48 game schedule is dumb when he can burn 1 year on an 82 game schedule. More bang for your buck imo. The 5 games gives him a taste of what its like so he can come back in the fall and be in the mindset that he knows what to expect, and maybe is a bit more prepared the 2nd time around
It doesn't matter. The fact is, he will play more hockey(unless the Sting makes it to the memorial cup) if he's up that if he's down (CHL).

Old
01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Is Galchenyuk the youngest player in NHL right now?

No. Laughton, Dumba and Grigorenko are all a couple of months younger.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
No. Laughton, Dumba and Grigorenko are all a couple of months younger.
Well....

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
hi ducks fan here with a fantasy question.

is alex playing with the canadiens or is he staying in the ahl? thanks in advance.
Not sure about your league rules, but if it was a keeper league, I'd give him some thought. We're the Habs btw

Old
01-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Personally, I just think wasting 1 year on an 48 game schedule is dumb when he can burn 1 year on an 82 game schedule. More bang for your buck imo. The 5 games gives him a taste of what its like so he can come back in the fall and be in the mindset that he knows what to expect, and maybe is a bit more prepared the 2nd time around
His cap hit is $3,225,000. I doubt he ask/get more then Cole and Pacioretty for his second contract. So let's it will be 4-5 millions per year.

You're ready to prevent him from playing more games (after he missed a season) for 700 000$- 1,7 million$?

Old
01-20-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
24 games + playoffs. If the Sting hold on to their division lead, I believe they'd have the opportunity to hold home ice advantage for at least a couple of rounds.
Doesn't change what I said...I think his development, at this point in his career, is better served at the pro level, IMO.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
His cap hit is $3,225,000. I doubt he ask/get more then Cole and Pacioretty for his second contract. So let's it will be 4-5 millions per year.

You're ready to prevent him from playing more games (after he missed a season) for 700 000$- 1,7 million$?
That amount is if he doesn't go supernova in a couple of years. And it's not only about his ELC ending a year earlier - it's about arbitration eligibility and UFA status arriving a year earlier.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretoncanadien View Post
Why does this necessarily mean he's screwing with his confidence? I think 12-13 minutes or whatever he got was plenty with a good dose of PP time.

Lots of learning material there he can go over with the coaches in his FIRST ever NHL game.

I thought he looked alright...had a couple dangerous shots...saw him fish the puck out a couple times. Not scared of contact. Skated well. I'm kind of neutral on his performance.

The whole team looked ridiculously slow and out of sync.

I'm with the camp of keeping him up for the season. Put him on the third line with Eller at centre give em about the same icetime as tonight with some spot PP duty.

I think 'ruining' prospects as a concept is overstated. Either they're good enough or they're not. As long as he's big enough a man to take and give a hit and keep up with the play why would you not have him up here with NHL calibre coaching,training, systems etc. etc. etc.

He certainly wasn't a liability out there so why not. Let's get em used to the show.
Great post...especially about 'ruining prospects' is overstated

Old
01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Dekar

Has Alex ever been asked if he had a favourite NHL team while growing up? I know he's said he has always wanted to play in the NHL, but did he follow and have a preference for certain teams?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
domdo345

Please stop bringing the 1 year contract wasted logic. It's really not like we're looking at a 3-4 years window to win a cup before a cap hell with 3-4 rookies in the roster winning by themselves. What Gally will need to work on is to win one on one battles and find a way to create some space for himself. He can't work on this with junior players that he was crushing 1 month ago. Add to the fact that the Stings only have around 20 games left to play, I really think it is best for him to stay.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
gillings

Why we keep him and where he needs to be used:

You keep him because he's the best player on Montreal regardless of his experience.
Where you play him is top-2 center because IT'S OBVIOUS he's a center. Did you guys see how GOOD he is at setting him self up to receive a pass coming out of our own end?
That's a good center.

Why you don't keep him:

Because Montreal doesn't really have any puck possession players ( besides ELLER ) like Malkin, Crosby, Jagr, Nash...That will boost gallys level. ( im not saying ELLER is on those guys level, But he is a create chances hold the puck type of player and will form into one )

Eller, Gally, Pleks would be a SICK line, Stick DD, Pacs And Gio on the other and then work out your bottom six with guys like prust, moen, gallagher and then Armdog ( lol I love that ) white and cole.

Your top prospects NEED to be on your TOP line, Not bottom line. You need guys like gally who has SO much more room to improve against Other top players so that he can make mistakes and get better.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Please stop bringing the 1 year contract wasted logic. It's really not like we're looking at a 3-4 years window to win a cup before a cap hell with 3-4 rookies in the roster winning by themselves. What Gally will need to work on is to win one on one battles and find a way to create some space for himself. He can't work on this with junior players that he was crushing 1 month ago. Add to the fact that the Stings only have around 20 games left to play, I really think it is best for him to stay.
A "3-4 years window to win a cup before a cap hell" is actually how it usually works, no? Chicago after their cup is the extreme example, but every contender has to make painful decisions when their best players start getting paid closer to market value.

I disagree pretty hard about one on one battles being a priority for AG. In my views, reading the play without the puck is a part of his game that could use work. There are a lot of very good players in the OHL.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:50 PM
LeMAD

I'm sure this has being brought up already, but there's an interview of Bervegin on RDS.ca (taken from last night's game) where he says that it happens way more often that a team will regret keeping a young player in the NHL than to regret sending him down to the minors. (not sure if my sentence made sense)

So it basically means Galchenyuk will be sent down in a few games.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:55 PM
PyrettaBlaze

I think Galchenyuk is mature enough to understand that getting lesser ice-time or even getting sent back to the juniors is just part of the learning process. He doesn't seem like the type that'll sulk and lose confidence in his abilities. You guys really need to calm down with this. He's just a kid. Therrien even said it himself, he doesn't want to put ANY pressure on him... He just wants him to have fun. Relax, people.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Railman
Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
No, it doesn't. What it means is that he's ready to send him (and Gallagher for that matter) down if he feels it is more appropriate for his development.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
A "3-4 years window to win a cup before a cap hell" is actually how it usually works, no? Chicago after their cup is the extreme example, but every contender has to make painful decisions when their best players start getting paid closer to market value.

I disagree pretty hard about one on one battles being a priority for AG. In my views, reading the play without the puck is a part of his game that could use work. There are a lot of very good players in the OHL.
My point is that odds are he will already have a huge or decent contract before we are contenders. You put Chicago for an example, but if you look at the recent cup winners (Boston, LA, Pitts, Detroit) they all achieved to keep their team the same.

Yes, he has to be better at 1 vs 1 battles. It's ok, it was obvious that we was over-thinking every situations instead of just playing the game because it was his first game. The best players in the NHL are the ones who come out regularly from the corners with the puck. If he isn't a speedster in the NHL atm, he will need to be able to cycle in the O-zone.

Forwards are often evaluated on rush plays that happens few times per game. Crosby is the best in the game because he will fight for the puck, win the puck, pull a deke or two to create himself some space and find the open guy. If he wasn't as good for retrieving the puck, he'd certainly not put close to the numbers he's having.

I am aware that he's an 18 yo playing in the NHL. I am aware that it will be difficult for him to win those battles against gritty NHL defensemen. But if he wants to be successful, particularly at the center position, he will need to be good at it eventually. We all know how dangerous he can be on a 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 2, how deadly his shot is if he's let all alone in the slot. But in a 60 minute game, those are not that frequent. And let's not underrate the leafs D corps, they played a solid game.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:19 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Quote:
Thats what i think as well. But some posters in this thread are thinking that sending him down will burn his confidence.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Looked ok yesterday, didn't do anything special but still outperformed a lot of players. His shot is what will make him dangerous in the NHL. Still, he'll need to put up more scoring chances in order to stay up, otherwise going back to junior to finish the year could be the better course, especially if it's clear that this team will continue to stink it up.

Personally, I do not think it would be the end of the world to send him back. Sarnia isn't chopped liver, if continues to dominate then he could end up playing meaningful hockey longer than in Montreal this year. Get him prepared throughout the post-season and get him ready for opening night next year.

Edit: But first things first, four games to go.

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 01-20-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Well....
Grigorenko is 48 years old.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:53 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Let's see him play 4 more games before we make an opinion on whether he should stay or not

Old
01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

According to this board, Grigorenko, Laughton, Galchenyuk, Yakupov and their respective teams are screwed, but more interestingly RNH, Seguin, Hall, Duchene, Skinner, Landeskog, Couturier, Larsson, Fowler, Burmistrov, O'Reilly, Kulikov, E.Kane, Duchene, Hedman, Tavares, ETC., ETC. don't exist.

Seriously guys, be worried.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
According to this board, Grigorenko, Laughton, Galchenyuk, Yakupov and their respective teams are screwed, but more interestingly RNH, Seguin, Hall, Duchene, Skinner, Landeskog, Couturier, Larsson, Fowler, Burmistrov, O'Reilly, Kulikov, E.Kane, Duchene, Hedman, Tavares, ETC., ETC. don't exist.

Seriously guys, be worried.
How many of those players missed all but 8 games in the year before joining the NHL as an 18 year old?

I think the feeling from many of the ''send him back'' group would be far different if Galchenyuk had played at least half of last season.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:52 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I'm sure this has being brought up already, but there's an interview of Bervegin on RDS.ca (taken from last night's game) where he says that it happens way more often that a team will regret keeping a young player in the NHL than to regret sending him down to the minors. (not sure if my sentence made sense)

It's an old interview he gave. Alain Crête was asking him about his quote. He didn't really answer it. Michel Therrien is the type to let a kid make the team. He did it with Pittsburgh.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:31 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
How many of those players missed all but 8 games in the year before joining the NHL as an 18 year old?

I think the feeling from many of the ''send him back'' group would be far different if Galchenyuk had played at least half of last season.
Are we still on that? Kid is healthy and in top shape, if he is able to perform at the NHL level then what does it matter how he got to where he is? I wouldn't care if he was a walk-on hfboarder, if you're that good, you're that good.

If you're worried about that inevitable wall young players hit early in their careers, well the best way to prepare for that wall is to hit it. If he's up for it, I'd want him to be a battle-hardened vet by 20-21.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Sweeney

OMG Yakupov -2 trade him.. put him in Sarnia... wasted 48 games

LOL joking... Overreaction for Galchenyuk... UFA at 25 or 26... if he loves MTL he will stay... if not we will lose him so let him play

Closed Thread