HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lupul re-signs with Toronto 5 years (5.25 average)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 08:38 PM
  #276
Hero
The Corporal Returns
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,139
vCash: 500
high risk high reward signing.

Lupul flops, we're screwed. Lupul stays close to 65-70 ish, over an 82 game season, and it's a massive steal.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
  #277
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Too much for one good year, which he ended up getting injured again. Hope he does well, but I don't think this is good for the Leafs. 5 year deal is too long for a guy who is injured pretty much every season and only has had one season that is worth 5.25 mill.
He's been run out of Anaheim twice, Carlyle hated him for his lack of compete, Edmonton and Philly didn't like his lack of fortitude or his fitness levels and shipped him out. And his history of injury is lengthy to say the least, just last year he missed the last 5 weeks of the season. Typical Burke signing why did they fire him he could have continued his incompetence instead of putting his puppet Nonis in charge.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:01 PM
  #278
Hero
The Corporal Returns
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalegion View Post
Don't think anyone can deny it's an overpay, especially at that term but it's not a huge overpay. 250k to 500k
If he's a 20 goal guy with 60 pts, it's a big over pay

If he's a 25 goal guy with 65 pts, it's a good deal imo

If he's pushing 30 and is a 70 pts guy, it's a massive steal.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:17 PM
  #279
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
I think its a bit expensive, 4 - 4.5 should have been enough. He had a great year last year, but has been very inconsistent over his career. What if he reverts to the way he played in Edmonton?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:32 PM
  #280
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 28,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
If he's a 20 goal guy with 60 pts, it's a big over pay

If he's a 25 goal guy with 65 pts, it's a good deal imo

If he's pushing 30 and is a 70 pts guy, it's a massive steal.
5 points makes it a big overpay to a good deal?

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:33 PM
  #281
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,299
vCash: 500
people who say this is a bad deal didn't see him and Kessel play last year

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
  #282
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
So glad Lupul got re-signed. Such a good player and is really becoming well known and liked around Toronto.

Excited that he'll be a Leaf for the next 6 years!

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:38 PM
  #283
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Not horrible, not great.

Maybe 1-2 years less term and 1-.5 million less cap hit... but in the end you retain your guy and that is what matters.

Sometimes you have to slightly overpay, it's better to do that than lose player for nothing.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:17 PM
  #284
NaiveLeafsFan
Registered User
 
NaiveLeafsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ajax, UofT
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,827
vCash: 500
Basically Nonis bit the bullet. Pay him now, hope he has a good year for the next 3 years and when his production dips the cap hit won't be too bad.

Or he could have waited the end of the season, but if Loops went PPG again he'd be looking at upwards to 6 mil. Then again if he flopped we could have gotten him closer to 4. I think this is right in the middle. We'll have to wait and see how this contract plays out.

Personally, I like the signing. Hopefully he commits a little more to the defensive side this year.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:19 PM
  #285
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Basically Nonis bit the bullet. Pay him now, hope he has a good year for the next 3 years and when his production dips the cap hit won't be too bad.

Or he could have waited the end of the season, but if Loops went PPG again he'd be looking at upwards to 6 mil. Then again if he flopped we could have gotten him closer to 4. I think this is right in the middle. We'll have to wait and see how this contract plays out.

Personally, I like the signing. Hopefully he commits a little more to the defensive side this year.
Yep equal risk on both sides. The term is kind of set before you even start negotiating at this point.. Grabo contract gives Toronto zero leverage.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:25 PM
  #286
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
I think the biggest concern is that looking at Lupul's career stats, he seems to be quite injury prone.

66 games 2011-2012
54 games 2010-2011
23 games 2009-2010

Last 3 years, not sure what the injuries have been though..

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:26 PM
  #287
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,577
vCash: 1360
Seems a bit on the high side, but TO was handcuffed.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:37 PM
  #288
Gberg
Registered User
 
Gberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
I think the biggest concern is that looking at Lupul's career stats, he seems to be quite injury prone.

66 games 2011-2012
54 games 2010-2011
23 games 2009-2010

Last 3 years, not sure what the injuries have been though..
He got a blood infection from his off-season back surgery (it was a minor surgery). He was extremely unlucky.. He dropped around 30-40 pounds. It's actually amazing to see how he's come back, playing better than ever, and finding chemistry with Kessel.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:24 PM
  #289
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Stop trying so hard...Hemsky WAS better than Lupul, he isn't anymore. 5 years is a stupid sample size that obviously doesn't factor into either of the deals you're comparing.
Love your Opinion!
only last year counts?

A 5 year contract.
A 5 YEAR sample is Dumb!

That was priceless!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:20 AM
  #290
EucaLEAFtys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In the Underdark
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Wow.. less than a month after becoming the Leafs' GM and Nonis has already made his first big bone-headed move.

Stupid contract.

I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:35 AM
  #291
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Basically Nonis bit the bullet. Pay him now, hope he has a good year for the next 3 years and when his production dips the cap hit won't be too bad.

Or he could have waited the end of the season, but if Loops went PPG again he'd be looking at upwards to 6 mil. Then again if he flopped we could have gotten him closer to 4. I think this is right in the middle. We'll have to wait and see how this contract plays out.

Personally, I like the signing. Hopefully he commits a little more to the defensive side this year.
Pretty much. It could turn out to be a bad deal, but thinking like that is a common fallacy that some posters have on HF. Basically Lupul had the leverage to earn himself this deal, if he didn't get it from the Leafs another team would have paid up. Maybe it will be a bad deal and you could say in hindsight Nonis would have been smarter if he passed on it... but in the present what does it say to your players if you tell last years all-star "hmm no, you had a great season and you fit in well with the team but we think you may fail down the line so we're not going to give you this contract"?

That's kind of a losing attitude, and probably a good way to lose Kessel down the line.. Signing him is a gamble, but you're not going to win at poker if you fold on every hand that isn't safe. You gotta play with the hand you're dealt.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:56 AM
  #292
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,474
vCash: 1000
More money than I would have liked him to get, but not so bad that I'm going to lose any sleep over it.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:32 AM
  #293
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling
 
Morguee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 500
Lupul is being paid for his on ice and off ice value to Toronto. If he continues with what he did last year this is a great contract if he puts up 55 - 60 points it still is a good contract.

Lupul has one thing that the Maple Leafs need right now, a personality. Just like Montreal needs PK because of his personality, Toronto needs a face for their franchise. Lupul is personable and likeable and doesn't seem to have that much baggage. What Toronto needs now(other than to win of course) is a player fans can rally behind - Dougie, Wendel, Sittler...the franchise needs a face who plays hockey.

Morguee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:59 AM
  #294
Hero
The Corporal Returns
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
The year the contract was signed it important. If they were RFA or UFA when signing is important. Year signed for is important.

Those considered, I actually like the Lupul contract more after seeing this.

Kane, Evander 21 WIN 6 2012 2018 $3,000,000 $5,250,000 7.48% $0
Krejci, David 26 BOS 3 2012 2015 $5,250,000 $5,250,000 7.48% $0
Carter, Jeff 28 LAK 11 2011 2022 $6,250,000 $5,272,727 8.20% $22,727
Hossa, Marian 34 CHI 12 2009 2021 $7,900,000 $5,275,000 9.29% $25,000
Doan, Shane 36 PHO 4 2012 2016 $6,050,000 $5,300,000 7.55% $50,000
Pominville, Jason 30 BUF 5 2009 2014 $5,500,000 $5,300,000 9.33% $50,000
Perry, Corey 27 ANA 5 2008 2013 $4,875,000 $5,325,000 9.39% $75,000
Getzlaf, Ryan 27 ANA 5 2008 2013 $6,125,000 $5,325,000 9.39% $75,000
Ryan, Bobby 25 ANA 5 2010 2015 $5,562,500 $5,100,000 8.59% $150,000
Kessel, Phil 25 TOR 5 2009 2014 $5,100,000 $5,400,000 9.51% $150,000
Grabovski, Mikhail 28 TOR 5 2012 2017 $6,000,000 $5,500,000 7.83% $250,000
Hemsky, Ales 29 EDM 2 2012 2014 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 7.12% $250,000
Neal, James 25 PIT 6 2012 2018 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 7.12% $250,000
Tavares, John 22 NYI 6 2012 2018 $4,000,000 $5,500,000 7.83% $250,000
Bergeron, Patrice 27 BOS 3 2011 2014 $4,550,000 $5,000,000 7.78% $250,000
Plekanec, Tomas 30 MTL 6 2010 2016 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.42% $250,000
Kesler, Ryan 28 VAN 6 2010 2016 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.42% $250,000
Havlat, Martin 31 SAN 6 2009 2015 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.80% $250,000
Gionta, Brian 34 MTL 5 2009 2014 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.80% $250,000
Ribeiro, Mike 32 WAS 5 2008 2013 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.82% $250,000
Horcoff, Shawn 34 EDM 6 2009 2015 $6,000,000 $5,500,000 9.68% $250,000

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  #295
Hero
The Corporal Returns
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
5 points makes it a big overpay to a good deal?
Haha woops, changed the goals but didn't change the assists.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:11 AM
  #296
bobbyflex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
The year the contract was signed it important. If they were RFA or UFA when signing is important. Year signed for is important.

Those considered, I actually like the Lupul contract more after seeing this.

Kane, Evander 21 WIN 6 2012 2018 $3,000,000 $5,250,000 7.48% $0
Krejci, David 26 BOS 3 2012 2015 $5,250,000 $5,250,000 7.48% $0
Carter, Jeff 28 LAK 11 2011 2022 $6,250,000 $5,272,727 8.20% $22,727
Hossa, Marian 34 CHI 12 2009 2021 $7,900,000 $5,275,000 9.29% $25,000
Doan, Shane 36 PHO 4 2012 2016 $6,050,000 $5,300,000 7.55% $50,000
Pominville, Jason 30 BUF 5 2009 2014 $5,500,000 $5,300,000 9.33% $50,000
Perry, Corey 27 ANA 5 2008 2013 $4,875,000 $5,325,000 9.39% $75,000
Getzlaf, Ryan 27 ANA 5 2008 2013 $6,125,000 $5,325,000 9.39% $75,000
Ryan, Bobby 25 ANA 5 2010 2015 $5,562,500 $5,100,000 8.59% $150,000
Kessel, Phil 25 TOR 5 2009 2014 $5,100,000 $5,400,000 9.51% $150,000
Grabovski, Mikhail 28 TOR 5 2012 2017 $6,000,000 $5,500,000 7.83% $250,000
Hemsky, Ales 29 EDM 2 2012 2014 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 7.12% $250,000
Neal, James 25 PIT 6 2012 2018 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 7.12% $250,000
Tavares, John 22 NYI 6 2012 2018 $4,000,000 $5,500,000 7.83% $250,000
Bergeron, Patrice 27 BOS 3 2011 2014 $4,550,000 $5,000,000 7.78% $250,000
Plekanec, Tomas 30 MTL 6 2010 2016 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.42% $250,000
Kesler, Ryan 28 VAN 6 2010 2016 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.42% $250,000
Havlat, Martin 31 SAN 6 2009 2015 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.80% $250,000
Gionta, Brian 34 MTL 5 2009 2014 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.80% $250,000
Ribeiro, Mike 32 WAS 5 2008 2013 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 8.82% $250,000
Horcoff, Shawn 34 EDM 6 2009 2015 $6,000,000 $5,500,000 9.68% $250,000
half those players were signed as RFA's as well. Big difference

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:14 AM
  #297
waitin425
Registered User
 
waitin425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
high risk high reward signing.

Lupul flops, we're screwed. Lupul stays close to 65-70 ish, over an 82 game season, and it's a massive steal.
He far exceeded expectations last year. He is getting paid based on a fluke year. Typical Leafs contract.

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:22 AM
  #298
Indy on the Road
From the ground up
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,808
vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with this deal. If Lupul regresses in a year or two, amnesty buyout baby.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:23 AM
  #299
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Not horrible, not great.

Maybe 1-2 years less term and 1-.5 million less cap hit... but in the end you retain your guy and that is what matters.

Sometimes you have to slightly overpay, it's better to do that than lose player for nothing.
You're funny.

The timing and the term is a little off but the price is standard. If he stays healthy (reason why I don't like the timing) he'll be well worth the contract. The term speaks for itself, 5 years for a guy who hasn't been healthy throughout his career is a little scary for fans but his injuries aren't chronic, more of the bad luck all over the place variety.

Contrary to popular (HF) belief, Lupul is actually a good player. I get a good laugh out of people who claim(ed) he is a 3rd liner. Even on a contending team, Lupul is good enough to play on the top-6. Moving from RW to LW really revitalized his career (playing with Kessel helped) because he has a good shot and gets it off quickly and accurately from his off-wing. He's not fast enough to play RW.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:23 AM
  #300
CJV123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Jamie Benn sends Lupul a kiss.

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.