HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
only thing that makes sense is if he's gay and this was the coverup....
I can't conceive of any rational reason for this hoax, including that one (which may be just as irrational as any other I can come up with). The fact that he often spoke of his personal contact with her makes me suspect that he's much more deeply involved than he or ND would like one to believe.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:12 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Manti and ND's statement doesn't deny the story, though.
I meant that this whole situation was caused by the sports media not checking facts before running with this story for a year. Should he have lied about it? No. Should it have been caught much earlier? Yes.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I can't conceive of any rational reason for this hoax, including that one (which may be just as irrational as any other I can come up with). The fact that he often spoke of his personal contact with her makes me suspect that he's much more deeply involved than he or ND would like one to believe.
not sure how that can't be a rational explaination...how many athletes over the years have been afraid to come out b/c of the perceived "code of conduct" which that is not looked upon lightly...plus he's mormon and goes to a catholic school...i don't think its very far fetched at all

Old
01-17-2013, 10:49 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
not sure how that can't be a rational explaination...how many athletes over the years have been afraid to come out b/c of the perceived "code of conduct" which that is not looked upon lightly...plus he's mormon and goes to a catholic school...i don't think its very far fetched at all
I understand what you're saying, Fro, and the religious element may make it more "rational." Perhaps I'm just still surprised that this prejudice would linger among today's athletes, since it is so much more acceptable among the rest of their cohort. You could be right, though.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I'll offer another theory: the Heisman.

When ESPN hosed Peyton Manning out of a Heisman in 1997 to get it to Charles Woodson, it was due to "the story". Woodson was a defensive player who played a few snaps on offense, and that was 90% of his hype. Never mind that Champ Bailey at Georgia was actually playing both sides of the ball, it was Woodson who was the focus.

Without the handful of snaps on offense, Woodson doesn't win the Heisman, because without that, there's no story. No story, no Heisman. We saw this with Ndamukong Suh a couple years ago. He was far and away the best defensive player, and the best player overall, in the country, yet finished 4th in voting. No story, no Heisman.

So, how to create a story? Plenty of players lose a grandparent during the season. Plenty lose a parent, or sibling. That won't do. But how many lose a significant other? Ah, now we're getting somewhere.

To me, there are too many inconsistencies. I mean, I'm a bit of a rube, but even I would have been a lot more suspicious if I were actually on the receiving end of what Te'o is claiming. That goes double if it takes place over a number of years.

Would Te'o actually be a mark? The claims are that this all started in December of 2009. Who was Manti Te'o in 2009? He was a backup linebacker who rotated in in certain situations. Why would anyone use a backup linebacker on a 6-6 team (who quite clearly was going to be firing their coach) as their target?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i thought about it that way too...perhaps they just didn't think it thru since this story has (had?) more holes in it than cheese...but yeah...to try and get him a heisman would be another plausible reason

Old
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Mayor I agree that this was all about getting a story out there to try and get him a Heisman. And ND does have a history of this type of thing from changing how to pronounce Theismann to the Rudy story.

01-17-2013, 11:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

This smells of coverup, I agree. My thinking is that Te'o probably planned to "pay off" the people behind the hoax once he signed his NFL contract.

I understand the kid is mormon, but one of the first things that popped into my head was this when I heard it yesterday:

His parents were probably pestering him about any girls in his life or whatever, not expecting sex to be involved because of the his/their religion. Te'o "invented" the long distance relationship to keep his family off his back as he wanted to focus on becoming a better and more integral part of the football team. As this season began to take shape, it was seen as an oppurtunity and a resource to exploit for reasons listed above.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Would Te'o actually be a mark? The claims are that this all started in December of 2009. Who was Manti Te'o in 2009? He was a backup linebacker who rotated in in certain situations. Why would anyone use a backup linebacker on a 6-6 team (who quite clearly was going to be firing their coach) as their target?
That, to me, is a suggestion that makes it less likely that this was a planned Heisman story. How likely is it that a backup linebacker on a losing team will be able to get within line-of-sight of the Heisman, let alone high enough in votes to actually potentially have that be a difference-maker?

Having dealt with folks in online-only relationships, I can easily imagine the extent of Te'o's "involvement" being exaggerating the extent to which he knew his online paramour because of being somewhat embarrassed that there was no contact outside of that medium. Seen it several times.
heck, at one point I did the same thing myself, when I was around the same young-and-foolish age...

So I hesitate to automatically label Te'o a villain in this piece. Plenty of smart people have their areas of naivete and/or willful wishful thinking. Whether that wishful thinking was "this will get me a real relationship when I meet her" or "this will get me a Heisman" is, at present, indeterminate IMO.

Would be very interested in further investigation, tho.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
This smells of coverup, I agree. My thinking is that Te'o probably planned to "pay off" the people behind the hoax once he signed his NFL contract.

I understand the kid is mormon, but one of the first things that popped into my head was this when I heard it yesterday:

His parents were probably pestering him about any girls in his life or whatever, not expecting sex to be involved because of the his/their religion. Te'o "invented" the long distance relationship to keep his family off his back as he wanted to focus on becoming a better and more integral part of the football team. As this season began to take shape, it was seen as an oppurtunity and a resource to exploit for reasons listed above.
True, but I think there may be a different reason. I remember Esera Tuaolo (gay former NFL player) talking about his experiences with girls back in college. It basically would involve taking a girl back to his dorm room, then either falling asleep immediately or pulling the, "Oh, I'm so drunk and can't perform" act. All anyone would see was him taking a girl back to his dorm, and who doesn't exaggerate what happened when asked about it the next day?

My younger brother is gay and went to a religious-based college, and some of his friends had stories about the lengths to which they felt had to be taken to conceal their sexuality from parents and family. I think it's entirely possible that this may have been part of the issue.

Think about it. Talks openly about his girlfriend, something awful happens to her, and for the next 15 years every possible encounter can be countered with "I've never been able to get past her" or "I can't disrespect someone I loved who's gone". One of my divorced friends has gone through something similar, where getting physical with another girl causes panic attacks (there were some issues in the bedroom with the ex-wife); performance anxiety after romantic trauma isn't actually that uncommon.

I'm obviously just speculating here, which I don't normally do. But it's plausible.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
That, to me, is a suggestion that makes it less likely that this was a planned Heisman story. How likely is it that a backup linebacker on a losing team will be able to get within line-of-sight of the Heisman, let alone high enough in votes to actually potentially have that be a difference-maker?
Just to touch on this part, I think what we'd need to know is this. When was the first mention of their relationship made? If it was actually in 2009 or early 2010, that would be important. If it wasn't until sometime in 2012, I can entirely see that being a major consideration on his part.

I did a quick news search, and can't find anything at all before April 2012. It's not all-encompassing by any means, but there is simply nothing I can find before then.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Most interesting part of the story, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I mean, I'm a bit of a rube...

Old
01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Most interesting part of the story, IMO.
Well, who among us has never heard the words, "I'm sorry sir, but I cannot allow you in our establishment with that caked all over your boots"?

Old
01-18-2013, 04:59 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Yeah, this was nothing but a publicity scam. He was not the best defensive player (Clowney, South Carolina) let along the best LB (Ryan Shazier, CJ Mosley, etc). Another reason I cannot stand what comes out of South Bend. I'm in the camp that he was in on it from the start.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Yeah, this was nothing but a publicity scam. He was not the best defensive player (Clowney, South Carolina) let along the best LB (Ryan Shazier, CJ Mosley, etc). Another reason I cannot stand what comes out of South Bend. I'm in the camp that he was in on it from the start.
You're taking a lot of credit away from him. While I agree that Jadeveon Clowney was hands down the best defensive player, I think Teo is absolutely in a class with the others that you listed.

It will be interesting to see what this does to his draft stock, to me. Professional athletes are put through a tremendous series of mental tests, and something like this will always be a blip on his radar, no matter what happens.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:21 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

It's very difficult to read this and believe he's completely innocent, just too many personal details and embellishments for me to buy that they are the result solely of Internet chats with an unseen partner:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...d-hoax-quotes/

Old
01-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
It's very difficult to read this and believe he's completely innocent, just too many personal details and embellishments for me to buy that they are the result solely of Internet chats with an unseen partner:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...d-hoax-quotes/
I agree. If he knew the rumor - and obviously, he would have - then he should have come right out and publicly stated that this was untrue. He was absolutely in on it, no doubt in my mind.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

"it wasnt me, it was the one armed man"

Old
01-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
"it wasnt me, it was the one armed man"
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist."

Old
01-20-2013, 08:00 AM
EspenK

Matta has got to find some players that can score. If Thomas goes to the NBA they will be lucky to score in the 40's next year. Great D but the object of the game is to put the ball in the basket.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:18 AM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

RIP Stan Musial and Earl Weaver. The world just got a little less classy and combative. lol

Old
01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bester vaive View Post
RIP Stan Musial and Earl Weaver. The world just got a little less classy and combative. lol
Two of the all-time greats, and you've characterized them perfectly!

Old
01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Baltimore-San Francisco? Ewww.

Only good thing about this is the Anti-Pittsburgh aspect of this matchup.

(Hey DSL, trying to be positive here)

Last edited by Samkow: 01-20-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

(Hey DSL, trying to be positive here)
I will never root for Baltimore, as I was once a die-hard Browns fan.

Go Niners.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Harbaugh boys. The two jerkiest ********** whoever punked a tool.

Closed Thread