HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers vs. Pens | 1/20/13

View Poll Results: 3 Stars of the Game
Henrik Lundqvist 7 7.29%
Martin Biron 18 18.75%
Stu Bickel 9 9.38%
Michael Del Zotto 9 9.38%
Anton Stralman 1 1.04%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Dan Girardi 1 1.04%
Ryan McDonagh 13 13.54%
Aaron Asham 14 14.58%
Mike Rupp 2 2.08%
Jeff Halpern 5 5.21%
Taylor Pyatt 37 38.54%
Brian Boyle 2 2.08%
Chris Kreider 3 3.13%
Carl Hagelin 5 5.21%
Ryan Callahan 27 28.13%
Derek Stepan 4 4.17%
Rick Nash 81 84.38%
Brad Richards 9 9.38%
Marian Gaborik 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 0
We could use a couple days of practice, badly.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly989 View Post
What about the Bruins on Wednesday?
Ouch! Missed one there.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsly989 View Post
What about the Bruins on Wednesday?
Haha he isn't so confident about that one.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:02 PM
OverTheCap

I know most people will probably focus on the offense playing poorly, but the most alarming thing I have seen in the past two games is the frequency in which the team is turning over the puck. There was a stretch of games last season when the Rangers were turning over the puck a lot, towards the end of the year when they were getting fatigued, but it wasn't nearly as bad as this.

They obviously aren't tired now so I have to assume that they are making these mistakes because their heads aren't in the game yet. They look unprepared and overwhelmed. Hopefully a couple of practices will get their heads screwed on straight.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Nash puts in a good effort, I have to say. He has more hustle than I anticipated.

Team hasn't been sharp at all minus a few flashes. We need to get Gaborik settled and on his game, establish a better forecheck and play better under pressure from the opposition.

We also need to replace Bickel.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

The defense has been just short of atrocious IMHO, the offense struggled really bad in Boston but I think that was a direct result of our D not being able to get any sort of transition going. Same thing tonight except our offense was able to do a little bit more.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Nash Money

To echo others, Nash was our best player on the ice, and we could have really used more training camp.

Does anyone object to giving Gilroy a shot as the 6th D? ANYONE?!

I know it sucks that it was the first two, but did anyone realistically think we weren't gonna lose two in a row all year?

Hope Kreider is ok.

With a healthy Crosby, Pittsburgh is good. Very, very good.

Nash Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:05 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I know you don't want to hear from a Pens fan...but I have to say this.

I think you guys are going to be 100% fine. Flyers..not so much. Henrik, Nash, and Callahan are awesome. The team just needed some type of camp to come together. I see so much talent on that team that will not be fun to play against in a month or two. Henrik, to me, is the best goalie in the game. It will all come together.

Huge props to Cally and Nash. Those 2 guys have ALL of the respect of Pens nation. Mark my words today... you guys are going to go on a tear somewhere in this season.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Affinity

Callahan and Richards really need to stop with the blind passes for the love of god.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

I think you guys are going to be 100% fine. Flyers..not so much. Henrik, Nash, and Callahan are awesome. The team just needed some type of camp to come together. I see so much talent on that team that will not be fun to play against in a month or two. Henrik, to me, is the best goalie in the game. It will all come together.

Huge props to Cally and Nash. Those 2 guys have ALL of the respect of Pens nation. Mark my words today... you guys are going to go on a tear somewhere in this season.
I don't see it ... they look lost.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo6215 View Post
To echo others, Nash was our best player on the ice, and we could have really used more training camp.

I know it sucks that it was the first two, but did anyone realistically think we weren't gonna lose two in a row all year?

Hope Kreider is ok.

Why Gilroy? Eminger was actually solid last year.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

The offense will be there. I really think we're gonna see an improvement in scoring this year. Callahan was strong. Richards is producing. Nash is a beast. Gaborik will get it going and once he does it's gonna be there.

To me it comes down to this: is our defense in a slump, or did it overachieve and this is what it really is?

If it's the former, we're fine. If it's the latter, we're in trouble.

JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nashty View Post
Anyone arrogant enough to call themselves a prophet should be ignored.
and people get mad at me lol. I still believe the rangers will be ok and will be a tough team once they get chemistry together and back in game shape

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:

Most of us know... Well, at least half
What's up with Crosby? I barely noticed him for two games in a row

01-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:

I agree, just hope it won't be too late

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Last Man Picked
Rookie User

the team defense is not where it used to be. the bruins played yesterday like how we did all of last year. they forced us to take mostly wide, parameter or flat out low percentage shots. Toooka was barely tested... thats what we did all of last year and the few times we didn't, hank would make a highlight reel save, as he did numerous times yesterday. i cant blame Hank for these two games. look at the putrid coverage on the goals scored tonight.

Also, losing to the pens was a motif last season anyway so i cant really judge much on this one game. we lost our fair share of games to them anyway so its not anything new. We did beat the bruins majority of the series but they are an elite team so losing one to them isn't really much of a good indicator either.

i am starting to feel the loss of anisimov, dubinsky, prust and feds... i sort of feel like when a good friend moves across the country for good and i know i'll never see them really again. it sucks.

our top 4 defensemen so far looks nothing like they did last season. on top of that, bickel needs to either grow skill over night or be replaced

hopefully krieder isn't concussed, and would like to see him replace hagelin for a few shifts on the top 6

Bruins beat us how they normally beat teams, which is very similar to how we usually beat teams. penguins beat us as usual... just with potent offense thats creative and dynamic

Last Man Picked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYRANGERAMI*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
You really went out on a limb there
LoL...Remember Tyson vs Douglas. Its how i made the money to have season tickets to the Rangers. However, I gave them up when they try to ask for a liver for a hotdog and a beer. LoL. I dont mind paying so long as your not trying to rob me. Plus the Rangers have been mediocre for a long time until just last year. And last year they ran out of gas. The window of opportunity is dwindling for them to get the you know what. Im just trying to save you the aggravation of this season. But as always, do as you will.

NYRANGERAMI* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:09 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
To me it comes down to this: is our defense in a slump, or did it overachieve and this is what it really is?

If it's the former, we're fine. If it's the latter, we're in trouble.
I agree the state of the defense is absolutely the biggest issue right now. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for a bit as defense requires systems + repetition way more than 5-on-5 offense. Not easy to replicate game defensive situations in informal skates and scrimmages.

But it is definitely a make or break issue.

01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

Pat Leonard @NYDNRangers
No word on health of Chris Kreider. He wasn't in the room after being hit up high by Brooks Orpik late in 3rd period #NYR

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Believer

I think D has to settle down. Bickel needs to be sent down.

I am thinking we will be seeing Nash-Richards-Gaborik next game. Nash can create space very well for Richards and Gabs.

Richards needs to work off the rust though. He was making some boneheaded plays tonight.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
M Gaz
Drink to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo6215 View Post

Hope Kreider is ok.

Gilroy has no defensive ability and is softer than Karlsson.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kreider Typical
flex

pitts as scummy as ever. this game leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

slewfoot, slashes, elbow to mcdonagh's head, high hit on kreider (okay probably his fault, but the guy didn't let up knowing his head was down). i'm just happy if everybody got out of this game healthy.

glad to see cooke is back to his old self.

nash was good. biron was great. best player on the ice. everybody else sucked and was not consistent. everyone on the ice is trying to force the offense and they're ignoring the defense. we need practices.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:14 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Most of us know... Well, at least half
What's up with Crosby? I barely noticed him for two games in a row
Yeah I don't know, man. He looks average. He's a notoriously slow starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
I agree, just hope it won't be too late
The Rangers were the one team that needed a long season and camp. They have so much talent but need a lot of chemistry. Trust me - it's there. We all saw it from Pittsburgh. You have great leadership in Hank and Cally. Nash is beasting right now.

It might be a tough 10 games. Maybe even 15. But this team will be on a tear. Watch this.. this hardship is better than being .500. They'll battle through adversity and be dangerous as hell.

Although they could have REALLY done well with a full camp. As long as the locker room stays in tact and no hatred happens like the Pens did to Therrien in 08, they will be good.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I agree the state of the defense is absolutely the biggest issue right now. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for a bit as defense requires systems + repetition way more than 5-on-5 offense. Not easy to replicate game defensive situations in informal skates and scrimmages.

But it is definitely a make or break issue.
Danny G was surprisingly terrible tonight. The only two guys that have looked good to ok are McD and Del Z. Del Z still has issues, but he is solid for an offensive minded Dman. If we can slot him with a good stay at home Dman on the right side he will be fine.

Staal has been so-so. But not glaringly bad tonight.

I'll say it again, Bickel needs to be shot out of a cannon.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:15 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Nash turned me into a believer tonight. I thought you guys were stupid fawning over him the first game but he turned it on later in this one.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote