HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers vs. Pens | 1/20/13

View Poll Results: 3 Stars of the Game
Henrik Lundqvist 7 7.29%
Martin Biron 18 18.75%
Stu Bickel 9 9.38%
Michael Del Zotto 9 9.38%
Anton Stralman 1 1.04%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Dan Girardi 1 1.04%
Ryan McDonagh 13 13.54%
Aaron Asham 14 14.58%
Mike Rupp 2 2.08%
Jeff Halpern 5 5.21%
Taylor Pyatt 37 38.54%
Brian Boyle 2 2.08%
Chris Kreider 3 3.13%
Carl Hagelin 5 5.21%
Ryan Callahan 27 28.13%
Derek Stepan 4 4.17%
Rick Nash 81 84.38%
Brad Richards 9 9.38%
Marian Gaborik 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2013, 10:15 PM
M Gaz
Drink to me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
pitts as scummy as ever. this game leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

slewfoot, slashes, elbow to mcdonagh's head, high hit on kreider (okay probably his fault, but the guy didn't let up knowing his head was down). i'm just happy if everybody got out of this game healthy.

glad to see cooke is back to his old self.

nash was good. biron was great. best player on the ice. everybody else sucked and was not consistent. everyone on the ice is trying to force the offense and they're ignoring the defense. we need practices.
I agree with all this. If Kreider is hurt, then the next game between these 2 teams has the potential to get ugly.

M Gaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Bag skate time for sure.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Q: "What elements of the game do you need to work on?"

Torts: "All of them"

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Yeah I don't know, man. He looks average. He's a notoriously slow starter.

The Rangers were the one team that needed a long season and camp. They have so much talent but need a lot of chemistry. Trust me - it's there. We all saw it from Pittsburgh. You have great leadership in Hank and Cally. Nash is beasting right now.

It might be a tough 10 games. Maybe even 15. But this team will be on a tear. Watch this.. this hardship is better than being .500. They'll battle through adversity and be dangerous as hell.

Although they could have REALLY done well with a full camp. As long as the locker room stays in tact and no hatred happens like the Pens did to Therrien in 08, they will be good.
This is some serious wisdom right here. I totally agree.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:17 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Torts: "Maybe we do need to get whacked around a little bit do wake us up."

Old
01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Yeah I don't know, man. He looks average. He's a notoriously slow starter.

The Rangers were the one team that needed a long season and camp. They have so much talent but need a lot of chemistry. Trust me - it's there. We all saw it from Pittsburgh. You have great leadership in Hank and Cally. Nash is beasting right now.

It might be a tough 10 games. Maybe even 15. But this team will be on a tear. Watch this.. this hardship is better than being .500. They'll battle through adversity and be dangerous as hell.

Although they could have REALLY done well with a full camp. As long as the locker room stays in tact and no hatred happens like the Pens did to Therrien in 08, they will be good.
I don't see them imploding, and agree with your assessment.

They needed to be knocked down a peg, and to be honest I was really annoyed with MSG tonight. Before the game it was Gianonne I think basically trying to bait Crosby into respecting and saying the Rangers were a legit contender... Stupid arrogance IMHO.

Anyway, they started poorly last year and we all know how that went I think they will be fine.

Either that or you're trying some reverse psychology voodoo... In which case, not cool man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieStrang
@KatieStrangESPN
#NYR Tortorella endorsed Orpik's hit on Kreider as clean. "Maybe we need to get whacked around a little more to wake us up.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

I like what Torts is saying. Hopefully the team gets the message.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
adam94
BU Terriers

Sucky game overall but Nash looked pretty damn good. Love the way he plays. Hopefully he keeps it up and everyone else steps up.

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Torts: "I'm troubled by a number of things."

Old
Machinehead
Hank, pls

I'm not ready to write this thing off. There's something here. I see flashes of it. I just hope we can harness it.

01-20-2013, 10:19 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Nash was the best player for the Rangers tonight. Richards played a decent game, as did Pyatt. Callahan was great. Halpern is a lot faster than I thought he would be, too.

The team needs to really work on their offensive chemistry, and they REALLY need to put in a better effort. A blatant penalty one minute into each game is simply from a lack of caring, I mean, what was Richards thinking? Awful way to start the game, momentum was down the tube to begin with. Then, after the tying goal by Callahan, Bickel making an ECHL caliber play led to the loss of momentum that was somehow gained after the early blow. Team looked lethargic until it was too late. They were awesome in the last 10 minutes, but that's not acceptable. They should be playing like that for 60 minutes.

They've got two days to practice and look over gametapes. Get your act together and hammer out this chemistry issue.

Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
torts hasn't seen a replay of the hit on kreider yet, but maybe he has...if he calls it clean then I will go with that...I apologize for calling for a suspension on Orpik, from what I saw it looked like a headshot, according to torts I was wrong!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Torts: "Maybe we do need to get whacked around a little bit do wake us up."
That is a pretty bad quote, and shows lack of responsibility on Tort's part. He shouldn't have said that.

The coach's job is to get a team prepared and focused. Not losing games. So far, this team has not looked "ready to play" as Torts has said repeatedly.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:20 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

I like Torts calling the team out on their effort.

Old
Kreider Typical
flex

torts needs to keep his mouth shut on hits until he sees the replay. i don't see it as a suspension-worthy hit, but him endorsing the hit does not help our team

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Believer

I just saw the context of that Torts quote. Forget what I said. I knew something was fishy.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
That is a pretty bad quote, and shows lack of responsibility on Tort's part. He shouldn't have said that.

The coach's job is to get a team prepared and focused. Not losing games. So far, this team has not looked "ready to play" as Torts has said repeatedly.
Disagree 100%. If the team loses games it's all on the coach? Sorry don't see it.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
torts needs to keep his mouth shut on hits until he sees the replay. i don't see it as a suspension-worthy hit, but him endorsing the hit does not help our team
The Torts quote, taken in context, doesn't bother me a bit now.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:

Yes he should say that. Their heads are up their *****.

Quote:
I like Torts calling the team out on their effort.
Agree.

Quote:
Huh? He thinks it was a legal hit, and isn't whining about it, I see that as a plus.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Disagree 100%. If the team loses games it's all on the coach? Sorry don't see it.
well considering he didn't say that, but if he did.....

Yes. The team has not looked good at all for these past two games. He is partly responsible for that.

If they were competitive in these games and just made some glaring mistakes. Ok, that is really not the coach.

But there is nothing to this team, right now, to show they are prepared. Hopefully that can be fixed by mid week.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
bubba5

Any news on Krieder?

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Zil

Ugh, those were just horrific defensive breakdowns.

First Goal: Richards takes a bad penalty and Staal tries to make a fancy outlet pass rather than just clearing the puck when he has the chance.

Second Goal: Bickel makes a terrible play going out of position and getting neither the man nor the puck. I don't understand why Bickel's on the roster. Eminger should be playing over him.

Third Goal: Just bad luck with the puck nicking off Girardi's skate.

Fourth Goal: A sloppy change hangs Lundqvist out to dry.

Fifth Goal: That was an uncharacteristically terrible play by McDonagh. He chased the puck up the right wing boards when he should've been covering the front of the net.

I know Pittsburgh has a lot of firepower, but the Rangers really did it to themselves with their sloppy defensive game. I just hope Kreider doesn't have a concussion.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:28 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
well considering he didn't say that, but if he did.....

Yes. The team has not looked good at all for these past two games. He is partly responsible for that.

If they were competitive in these games and just made some glaring mistakes. Ok, that is really not the coach.

But there is nothing to this team, right now, to show they are prepared. Hopefully that can be fixed by mid week.
I think it's a collective funk. This team is based around a few core hockey principles: forechecking, blocking shots, cycling, and playing the boards. They don't look conditioned, or in shape IMHO. I'm blaming the lockout, and I don't care what anyone thinks, it's true. HOWEVER, on the bright side, hopefully over time they will be ready to go and not dig themselves too much of a hole.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Ugh, those were just horrific defensive breakdowns.

First Goal: Richards takes a bad penalty and Staal tries to make a fancy outlet pass rather than just clearing the puck when he has the chance.

Second Goal: Bickel makes a terrible play going out of position and getting neither the man nor the puck. I don't understand why Bickel's on the roster. Eminger should be playing over him.

Third Goal: Just bad luck with the puck nicking off Girardi's skate.

Fourth Goal: A sloppy change hangs Lundqvist out to dry.

Fifth Goal: That was an uncharacteristically terrible play by McDonagh. He chased the puck up the right wing boards when he should've been covering the front of the net.

I know Pittsburgh has a lot of firepower, but the Rangers really did it to themselves with their sloppy defensive game. I just hope Kreider doesn't have a concussion.
Yep.

I'm not worried about the offense. Outside of McD and MDZ though, i'm very worried about the D. We had an awful last month of the regular season last year, and weren't as good in the entire second half of the season as some want to believe.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:33 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

What irks me is why Orpik felt it necessary to hit one of our guys high with 30 seconds left in a 6-3 game his team is winning. I'm livid at Boyle for not pummeling his ass into the ice.

That said, watch out when this team gets rolling and gets some practice time in. Once Gaborik gets going and Lundqvist is back to his old self, this will be a very, very good team that will be a force to be reckoned with.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote