HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rayan O'Rayli , From Russia with love

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 500
Something needs to be done. Whether it be a signing or trade, this is quickly becoming an annoying sideshow and it would be absolutely unfortunate if this sideshow is affecting play. I really hope O'Reilly realizes just how much he is apart of the team and tells his agent to stuff it and sign a contract.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
There's not a chance in hell they'd give up Johansen, let alone add, for O'Reilly.
I don't see it, I've never seen it with this guy.

He has potential but I see him topping out as a decent #2 and that's if all goes according to plan.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Something needs to be done. Whether it be a signing or trade, this is quickly becoming an annoying sideshow and it would be absolutely unfortunate if this sideshow is affecting play. I really hope O'Reilly realizes just how much he is apart of the team and tells his agent to stuff it and sign a contract.
It was kind of funny watching the Altitude broadcast last night, I was wondering if they were going to mention O'Reilly AT ALL. Then in between periods, I heard a brief mention of it by Kyle Keefe, something along the lines of "he's not on the team, so we're not going to talk about him" or something like that.

Until that point, I wasn't sure if a gag order was in effect and then I quickly realized, it was. lol

Old
01-20-2013, 09:53 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
His agent is doing what O'Reilly pays him to do: make money.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
His agent is doing what O'Reilly pays him to do: make money.
Good for O'Reilly. He'd make money if he played hockey in Colorado too. I'm sure he wouldn't go hungry or homeless living on $3 million a year or $4 million a year.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Good for O'Reilly. He'd make money if he played hockey in Colorado too. I'm sure he wouldn't go hungry or homeless living on $3 million a year or $4 million a year.
He is making money now. Outside Colorado.

No, he wouldn't go hungry or homeless accepting a lower amount than what he may be asking...but, so what?

Old
01-20-2013, 10:17 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
I agree. Thats why using that logic I say we offer $700K instead!
He won't be hungry or homeless.

Heck! Forget $700K lets just offer him minimum wage.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
It was a sideshow before the season started because there wasn't anything else going on. Now it's no big deal. Everyone has a lot of NHL games to focus on on.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

If you can't come to an agreement, the best way is just to make it a one year for 3 million is pretty fair for both parties, IMO. ROR stays a RFA and Ryan gets to prove he is worth 3.5+.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:07 PM
HockeyFan100
#FreeRedmond

ROR for Brassard?

Old
01-20-2013, 11:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
ROR for Brassard?
I wouldn't do that.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
ROR for Brassard?
I wouldn't do it. ROR is much better than Brassard.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't see it, I've never seen it with this guy.

He has potential but I see him topping out as a decent #2 and that's if all goes according to plan.
I think it'll be a couple years before it's evident. He needs to fully physically develop first, but he's getting there. He gained the weight, but now he needs to learn to play with it. Then he needs to beef up his conditioning. His endurance is the only thing that worries me.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Mouse21*

Quote:
ROR for Brassard?
no way

Old
01-21-2013, 02:48 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

This is so annoying. Not only does Ryan refuse to sign a fair contract. He has such a crazy demands and a contract in KHL for another year that his value on the trade table drops massively.

How much could we get back for a Russian O'Reilly demanding to get $5M a year to play?

The day we do trade O'Reilly, which I think will happen, I think alot of people will get very disappointmeny in how little we will get back for him.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:14 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Folks, let's make sure that we refer to him by his preferred spelling of his name...Rayan O'Rayli. I know some of us are bitter, but let's not get petty.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:38 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
I agree. Thats why using that logic I say we offer $700K instead!
He won't be hungry or homeless.

Heck! Forget $700K lets just offer him minimum wage.
Because that's exactly what I was inferring, paying him minimum wage
If our season does implode I hope O'Reilly is watching from Russia, seeing his teammates getting lit up while he does the "right" thing and holds out for an extra million. Course I would rather the team do great without him as a big "stay in Russia we don't need you" statement.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Here's what I don't understand, perhaps most of all. Why don't the Avs just match his KHL contract? It was rumored he's making around 4mil, right? If that's the case, match it for two years (basically one year at this point) and tell him if he wants more to earn it the old fashioned way.

He'll be back to RFA pretty quickly and we can start this all over again at that point.

But to have him in the KHL doesn't help us or him. At this point it's just silly. Sign his brother if that's what it takes, LEM could use the help.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
But to have him in the KHL doesn't help us or him. At this point it's just silly. Sign his brother if that's what it takes, LEM could use the help.
Yes, let's offer O'Reilly a family package. His father being a well known "life coach" as well, great. Perhaps he could become official team phychologist?

http://coachbri.humanpotentialplus.c...brian-oreilly/

"Relationship is the most important process of our life; it is the source of all happiness.

In a world where we are educated to earn a livelihood, we have forgotten how to live and get along with the people in our life the way we want and need to.
This is the source of all the personal psychological problems."

Old
01-21-2013, 08:25 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Everyone has already agreed his dad's comments are crazy.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Here's what I don't understand, perhaps most of all. Why don't the Avs just match his KHL contract? It was rumored he's making around 4mil, right? If that's the case, match it for two years (basically one year at this point) and tell him if he wants more to earn it the old fashioned way.

He'll be back to RFA pretty quickly and we can start this all over again at that point.

The Avs won't match the KHL offer because under those circumstances, the player wins. His little ploy to put the screws to the organization would have worked and it paves the way for future RFAs to hold out to get what they want as well.

Since he's chosen this path and turned down reasonable (but not exceptional) offers from the team, I think they'll leave him there the entire 48 game season just so he's no closer to UFA status than he was before. Then he'll be traded at the draft or over the summer.

His brother probably earns over $1M over in Russia and while I don't think he'd bring less to the table then say Kobasew as a depth player, he certainly would stay in Russia to earn 5-10x more than he would in the AHL.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
Quote:
Everyone has already agreed his dad's comments are crazy.
I don't think he comes up with the stuff himself. I think he buys it from a Chinese idiom factory.

Some of it is just gibberish

"Love isn't personal or selective you either have it or you don't when the mind is free of Extertal psychology it's egoism love is."

Old
01-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
The Avs won't match the KHL offer because under those circumstances, the player wins. His little ploy to put the screws to the organization would have worked and it paves the way for future RFAs to hold out to get what they want as well.

Since he's chosen this path and turned down reasonable (but not exceptional) offers from the team, I think they'll leave him there the entire 48 game season just so he's no closer to UFA status than he was before. Then he'll be traded at the draft or over the summer.

His brother probably earns over $1M over in Russia and while I don't think he'd bring less to the table then say Kobasew as a depth player, he certainly would stay in Russia to earn 5-10x more than he would in the AHL.
I guess I just view it a little differently. Signing in Russia wasn't so much a ploy to me as it was his way of playing with his brother. While I don't agree with the decision, I sympathize with him as I too would want to play with my brother if in his shoes.

Can it really hurt to give him 500k more short term? I suppose it depends on what the negotiation room is like with Sherman.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:34 AM
kento19
@kento19

I missed a few days of hf and don't really want to go through all those pages. Can somebody tell me if TPS has been on here and shared anything new?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Can it really hurt to give him 500k more short term?
No, but now I'm afraid the situation is much more complicated than "just" 500K extra / season.

It's a shame it has gone this far. Perhaps both O'Reilly's agent and Avalanche management thought the lockout would last longer and didn't work hard enough to close the deal in time. Now the whole negotiation probably is infected and stressful, I fault both parties for this.

Don Meehan has represented many star players during the years, that's for sure, now he is representing Ryan O'Reilly and yes, Meehan is as a tough one. Hmmm, I wonder how much percentage Meehan will get from the contract?

I have said this many times. But what worries me the most is actually the owners and how much they are willing to spend on the team, I have had my doubts several seasons. I believe Dater has written a couple of articles about this too.

Last edited by 21: 01-21-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Closed Thread