HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Sundin vs Alfie

View Poll Results: Who is better Daniel Alfredsson or Mats Sundin?
Mats Sundin 117 63.93%
Daniel Alfredsson 66 36.07%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2013, 09:12 PM
SenateReform

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
This really makes me sick sticking up for Sundin, a player I have learned to despise. But the fact of the matter is pretty simple. Sundin was a better hockey player than Alfredsson and did much more head to head than Alfredsson ever did with not as much around him.
Alfredsson hit Tucker from behind once, and he deserved it?.

Bell hit Alfredsson cleanly (no suspension), Maybe Dan should keep his head up next time?

You're really going to stick up for the 4th liner who was elminated from the playoffs and delivered a blind side hit to the head of a rival team's captain?

There's no place for that kind of ******** in hockey, and the fact that the Leafs fans cheered for a minute while Alfredsson lay on the ice is still sickening. I don't care who you're a fan of, that kind of thing is just disgusting.

BTW, there's a reason Steve Moore had his neck broken.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Orr123

I'm a Sens fan who thinks Sundin is better.

That said, I do NOT think it is a run away. Not nearly as much as people are saying. Alfredsson is more of a defensive forward and slightly less offensive. But the numbers are not crazy different.

1.002 PPG For Sundin.
0.956 PPG for Alfie.

So yeah, Sundin is more offensive.

But offensive isn't the be all end all to being a great player. There is a defensive side to things as well, and Alfie is that more defensive player. I see Alfie as a bit more of a all-around player, while Sundin is a more offensive guy.

So its hard to say, which is better. They are close, regardless.

ps. The whole Sundin is in the HHOF, is a bit of joke, as he should have never been a first ballot guy. If Sundin is, Alife will be in the HHOF someday as well (that said, he won't be a first ballot guy, and all Leafs fans will use that against Alfie).

But again, who really cares. Sens fans are hugely happy with Alfie, as he's done tonnes for the city of Ottawa, the team of Ottawa and been a HUGE mentor for the young guys on the team (especially Karlsson). He's also led the Sens to great things in the past, and continues to be a driving force for the Sens. Also, he's a great Captain for the Sens.

So I guess I conclude, Sundin is better, but only slightly, and Sens fan's shouldn't care. Alfie is a huge reason on why our team is headed in the direction they are headed in, and he's been a HUGE mentor for the Sens, which is more than anyone could ask for. So who cares Sundin has better offensive stats (its kind of hard to argue Sundin doesn't).

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Please sir, provide us with your fantastic reasons for Sundin being better. The captain one was already used multiple times but everyone seems to ignore the fact that Alfie outscored Sundin on route to the gold medal and has played more olympic games and scored more olympic points than Sundin.

Sundin was established as a leader and all star for quite some time before Alfie developed into the leader he has become so it was only natural that Sweden would select the more experienced guy to captain the team. By your same logic, the fact that Yashin captained the Sens over Alfie would be a good indicator when comparing the two.
Actually going by my logic, we wouldn't be comparing who is the better captain between two different players because no one here actually has any ****ing idea. PLUS that is a subjective topic, and in no way be fairly rated. This thread asked who's the better player anyway.

Sundin in his career had PPG or plus, 10 times in 18 seasons, while Alfy only has 8 in 17 seasons.

GPG=GOALPERGAME APG=ASSISTPERGAME PPG=POINTPERGAME

SEASON
Mats Sundin
GP1346 G 564 A 785 PTS 1349 ----GPG 0.41---APG 0.58--PPG 1.002
Daniel Alfredsson
GP1132 G 416 A 666 PTS 1082-----GPG 0.36----APG 0.58---PPG 0.95
PLAYOFFS
Mats Sundin
GP91 G 38 A 44 PTS 82----GPG 0.41---APG 0.48---PPG 0.90
Daniel Alfredsson
GP111 G 47 A 43 PTS 90----GPG 0.42---APG 0.38---PPG 0.81

Sundin beats alfy in most of the offensive statistical categories, all while alfy had the better team surrounding him. Just by simply watching these two players it was evident that Sundin was the more dominant player.

Last edited by Hennig: 01-20-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:30 PM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Actually going by my logic, we wouldn't be comparing who is the better captain between two different players because no one here actually has any ****ing idea. PLUS that is a subjective topic, and in no way be fairly rated. This thread asked who's the better player anyway.

Sundin in his career had PPG or plus, 10 times in 18 seasons, while Alfy only has 8 in 17 seasons.

GPG=GOALPERGAME APG=ASSISTPERGAME PPG=POINTPERGAME

SEASON
Mats Sundin
GP1346 G 564 A 785 PTS 1349 ----GPG 0.41---APG 0.58--PPG 1.002
Daniel Alfredsson
GP1132 G 416 A 666 PTS 1082-----GPG 0.36----APG 0.58---PPG 0.95
PLAYOFFS
Mats Sundin
GP91 G 38 A 44 PTS 82----GPG 0.41---APG 0.48---PPG 0.90
Daniel Alfredsson
GP111 G 47 A 43 PTS 90----GPG 0.42---APG 0.38---PPG 0.81

Sundin beats alfy in most of the offensive statistical categories, all while alfy had the better team surrounding him. Just by simply watching these two players it was evident that Sundin was the more dominant player.
Yes, let's fault Alfredsson for playing on the team that was better. I'm sure that had nothing to do with him being their captain and best player.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
Yes, let's fault Alfredsson for playing on the team that was better. I'm sure that had nothing to do with him being their captain and best player.
I'm not faulting Alfreddson for being on the better team, I'm pumping Sundin because he put up better numbers while playing with inferior linemates. But keep putting words in mouth.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

Quote:
Alfredsson hit Tucker from behind once, and he deserved it?.

Bell hit Alfredsson cleanly (no suspension), Maybe Dan should keep his head up next time?

You're really going to stick up for the 4th liner who was elminated from the playoffs and delivered a blind side hit to the head of a rival team's captain?

There's no place for that kind of ******** in hockey, and the fact that the Leafs fans cheered for a minute while Alfredsson lay on the ice is still sickening. I don't care who you're a fan of, that kind of thing is just disgusting.

BTW, there's a reason Steve Moore had his neck broken.
Right then, it's okay for stars to be dirty players, but not scrubs to be dirty players.

No argument from any Sens fan anywhere is going to convince anyone anywhere that Alfredsson is better than Sundin. Alfie is a great player; we hate him because he's good, we hate him because he's earned it.

Sundin, all the way to the bank...the secret bank, where only first-ballot hall of famers can deposit their money (and like it or not, he was voted in by a tribunal of journalists and his colleagues, so stop whining).

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
Right then, it's okay for stars to be dirty players, but not scrubs to be dirty players.

No argument from any Sens fan anywhere is going to convince anyone anywhere that Alfredsson is better than Sundin. Alfie is a great player; we hate him because he's good, we hate him because he's earned it.

Sundin, all the way to the bank...the secret bank, where only first-ballot hall of famers can deposit their money (and like it or not, he was voted in by a tribunal of journalists and his colleagues, so stop whining).
I haven't whined about anything and have given praise to Sundin on multiple occasions. He's just as good as Alfredsson.

Alfredsson's hit on Tucker was dirty but it was fairly pedestrian and nobody was seriously hurt. Do you really think a light hit from behind is as bad as targeting a players head from the blind side at full speed? One resulted in a concussion, one that Leafs fans applauded and the other resulted in a sore ego. There's a huge difference there.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Tuk Tuk

Sundin is the better player all around, although it's close. However, every Senators fan would rather have Alfredsson his whole career than Sundin. Both are great players, both are great captains, and both will be hall of famers.

Tuk Tuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Thanks for at least acknowledging that you don't actually know in your own post. Alfredsson rarely ever played on the same line as those two players and for most of the time he played with Spezza and Heatley the coach was trying to take him off the line but kept going back to it since they failed to produce without him.
lol I'm aware he didn't play with them, that's why I called you out for naming a bunch of players Sundin didn't play with and acting as if it was significant in some way???? (Get it, saying Sundin played with those players is the equivalent of saying Alfredsson played with Hossa/Havlat). It wouldn't even matter if Sundin did play with those guys, you listed players who were shadows of their former selves and putting up 40-50 points a year? That's hardly support. Alfredsson played with multiple players who were putting up big numbers.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

They are both great players. As a Sens fan, I know that we are often blinded because of what Alfredsson has meant to the team and the city.

That said, it's clearly Sundin. Not by a wide margin, but it is a clear one.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:57 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
That right there.

It's close, it obviously is because it gets debated on a semi-regular basis. At the end of the day they're both great and highly respected players. Part of a great cohort coming out of Sweden in the early to mid 90s.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote