HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Penguins vs. Rangers

Old
01-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Tafkak

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Tangradi only got 2:19 of ice time in the 3rd period despite us carrying a comfortable lead throughout. Coach must not have been as impressed as you.
Yet, his linemate (Malkin) got 2:23 in even strength TOI. See, I can nitpick stats as well.

The only reason Tangradi didn't get more time is that he doesn't play special teams.

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Yes I'm serious. Posts like that immediately make me discount any further observations you make about the game of hockwy.
Let's see how Tangradi's doing in 30 games. I don't think the coaching staff thinks he's doing a great job, as shown by how he barely got onto the ice in the 3rd, and I think they have him on a short leash.

I don't want to go into the playoffs with Tangradi still on the 2nd line, simple as that. You see lines like Malkin-Crosby-Neal and other assorted lines like that because the coaching staff isn't confident about rolling with the lines that they penciled in. I'll give it another 10 games, but Tangradi needs to step up his game if he wants to stay at his current level, simple as that.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I swear I saw him with that line for a shift or two, but it might be like you said. I wasn't paying close attention to the lines.
ya I'm not sure either. I'm curious too.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
Yet, his linemate (Malkin) got 2:23 in even strength toi. See, I can nitpick stats as well.

well, there it is

Old
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Protecting the lead. Something Bylsma already said he would be doing before the season even started.
I don't buy that. We weren't clinging to a 1-goal lead. The game was not seriously contested; demonstrated as such by Despres having 4:09 in the 3rd period (his most of any period in the game).

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Speaking of protecting the lead I did see Bylsma put Glass with Geno and Neal in the third this game. I think that's ridiculous overcoaching but whatever.
Bylsma also stated that he would be trying out TK, Glass, and Cooke on that line.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Orpik hit.

Got to love "ice tracker" at NHL.com

Edit: scroll down to 3rd 19:19

http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2012020015

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Let's see how Tangradi's doing in 30 games. I don't think the coaching staff thinks he's doing a great job, as shown by how he barely got onto the ice in the 3rd, and I think they have him on a short leash.
as the post above you noted, that's 4 seconds less ES time than Geno got in that period.

Quote:
I don't want to go into the playoffs with Tangradi still on the 2nd line, simple as that. You see lines like Malkin-Crosby-Neal and other assorted lines like that because the coaching staff isn't confident about rolling with the lines that they penciled in. I'll give it another 10 games, but Tangradi needs to step up his game if he wants to stay at his current level, simple as that.
Not a single person here will disagree with that. Our point is that he should be given the chance to do it.

Old
MonsterSurge

In somewhat related news, Steve Sullivan is already injured. He got destroyed in the first period.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I don't buy that. We weren't clinging to a 1-goal lead. The game was not seriously contested; demonstrated as such by Despres having 4:09 in the 3rd period (his most of any period in the game).
what about the part where Geno only played 4 more seconds than Tangradi at ES in the third?

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
See above

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:50 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I thought Tangradi was fine, but I guess the coaches disagreed, only 9:32 of ice time, ahead of only Glass.

Thought he played "better than that", but, I'm no expert, Andy Sutton.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:50 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
Bylsma also stated that he would be trying out TK, Glass, and Cooke on that line.
TK is doing great with Sutter, I hope he stays with him.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:51 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
And have I suggested otherwise here?

Believe it or not, very few people here possess your level of expertise, and to some of us, seeing Tangradi run into Geno or Neal in the offensive zone about eight times tonight sticks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Tangradi was at worst OK today. If production is the only thing that will make people happy with him, expect to be disappointed for a while. He looked ok yesterday but a bit lost. He looked better today. He looked good a few times. That's a step in the right direction. He was about half a foot from scoring a goal. He wasn't even the worst top 6 forward we had on the ice today.
O'k, I'll grant. But, where yesterday he looked a little more lost, today he was running into Geno and Neal quite a bit more. As I keep saying, we'll see. I'm not judging it one way or another on the minutia of a game, but I'm also not going to hang my hat on a few good shifts in a game either.

Quote:

I'd treat it in 10 game blocks, where he gets a minimum of 20 games. I'd like to see noticeable progress after 10. He should get another 10 beyond that regardless (i.e., presumption should work in his favor). By then, there should be a decent body of work to evaluate, and what he gets beyond that should be a question of merit, not hope.

Last edited by KIRK: 01-20-2013 at 09:57 PM.
KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Tafkak

Just for further emphasis, Neal had 2:36 even strength in the 3rd. Sid had 2:57.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I thought Tangradi was fine, but I guess the coaches disagreed, only 9:32 of ice time, ahead of only Glass.

that's probably because he gets no special teams time.

Old
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
TK is doing great with Sutter, I hope he stays with him.
I fully agree, but injuries will inevitably happen and guys will have to move around. My guess is he has guys penciled in for "what-if" situations.

Old
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
what about the part where Geno only played 4 more seconds than Tangradi at ES in the third?
Malkin had 4:59 of total ice time in the 3rd period. Why would a coach want to play him any longer than that given we had a comfortable lead and were finishing back-to-back games? Tangradi's TOI is self explanatory.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Tafkak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post

Which is shocking as Glass had a really gutsy performance.

It's interesting seeing how PP/PK time really drives up TOI.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:54 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafkak View Post
Just for further emphasis, Neal had 2:36 even strength in the 3rd. Sid had 2:57.
Those players both played 5+ minutes in the 3rd. Do you think they have infinite energy systems?

Old
01-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Malkin had 4:59 of total ice time in the 3rd period. Why would a coach want to play him any longer than that given we had a comfortable lead and were finishing back-to-back games? Tangradi's TOI is self explanatory.
Indeed, and the explanation is that he isn't on the PP.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 934
Since we already know that he is one...shall we continue to call James Neal "The Real Deal??""

Why not "The Real Steal" or King James?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Indeed it is. His line didn't play much in the third. That was kind of my point.

Old
UnderratedBrooks44

He is getting a chance, I'm not sure what people want. Seems like people are desperate for him to play with Malkin and Neal every single shift so he can luck out a secondary assist, and we can talk about what a special second assist it was and how he's "coming along". I'm not sure how anyone can have any more than a neutral opinion of him and that's being really generous. I mean the highlight of the last two games for him is Malkin finding him and him missing the net.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And have I suggested otherwise here?

Believe it or not, very few people here possess your level of expertise, and to some of us, seeing Tangradi run into Geno or Neal in the offensive zone about eight times tonight sticks out.
How many times exactly did that happen, or did it only happen once and you felt the need to reference it to prove he played bad? I think I remember what you are referencing, but one sequence doesn't tell a story of the whole game. Maybe try watching the little things he does for that line next game because they were numerous.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote