HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers vs. Pens | 1/20/13

View Poll Results: 3 Stars of the Game
Henrik Lundqvist 7 7.29%
Martin Biron 18 18.75%
Stu Bickel 9 9.38%
Michael Del Zotto 9 9.38%
Anton Stralman 1 1.04%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Dan Girardi 1 1.04%
Ryan McDonagh 13 13.54%
Aaron Asham 14 14.58%
Mike Rupp 2 2.08%
Jeff Halpern 5 5.21%
Taylor Pyatt 37 38.54%
Brian Boyle 2 2.08%
Chris Kreider 3 3.13%
Carl Hagelin 5 5.21%
Ryan Callahan 27 28.13%
Derek Stepan 4 4.17%
Rick Nash 81 84.38%
Brad Richards 9 9.38%
Marian Gaborik 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2013, 09:33 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yep.

I'm not worried about the offense. Outside of McD and MDZ though, i'm very worried about the D. We had an awful last month of the regular season last year, and weren't as good in the entire second half of the season as some want to believe.
Miss Sauer so much on this team.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:34 PM
shinchanyo

Any1feel free to disagree with me or point out if/why I'm wrong on somethings I don't profess to be an expert I just like talking hockey and what I see

The Good: Nash is the real deal. Couldn't be happier with what we got.

McD is an absolute treat to watch. He alpha'd Malkin several times tonight.

I haven't noticed Stralman much but he hasn't made any bad plays

Oh and I like what kreider has been doing so far but he needs to either increase his strength to make up for some missing smarts or get a little smarter so he can use his natural talents better. He finishes checks frequently and pressures guys often.

Nash is the re-oh wait.

The bad: Hank's the best goalie in the world but I thought he cost us the game. 2 of the goals that went in have no business going in and prob are the main reason we lost. That said what 1 out of 100 games he's actually at fault for a loss not a big deal buy a lotto ticket.

Gab looks like a shell of what he was when he first got here. I remember he'd play actual defense and make plays from his own end. He';d make passes, create space for his line and rip that shot. Now he just doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing and I've gotten a feeling he's just apprehensive out there right now. "Scared out there" would sum it up much like what I see from Mark Shi...I mean Sanchez. I was worried he was declining last year and I'm sure glad this is his contract year because either he'll turn it up or be gone before he starts to drag the team down.

Hags might be in for a long year teams might be anticipating his speed much better now and he doesn't seem to know how to make plays using his brain. and hands

Callahan makes some really dumb passes like the one that led to the EN. I wish he saw the ice better offensively.

Staal is not ready to play yet.

Someone on the blueline needs to learn how to get a shot through traffic.

The Redden: On that note Bickle needs to not fumble every wide open pass he gets. Bickel got turnstyled on that one goal and really stood out to me tonight as awful beyond belief.

Sauer is sorely missed. Hopefully McI is ready next year...could he really be so raw right now that he's as bad as Bick? Could Kundratek or Valentenko have been better options? Eminger has to earn this spot back he was playing legit top 4 D before his injury.

Last edited by shinchanyo: 01-20-2013 at 09:44 PM.
shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Not happy, but too early to panic.

Biggest issue, to me, is the transition game. D has to stop blindly throwing the puck up the boards and praying it goes to a teammate. Pick your head up, and make a smart decision. It's making puck possession a nightmare.

Nash is great. The rest of the team needs to get on his level.

Hoping for better things against Boston on Wednesday.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TCL40

Bruins fan here-I was hoping for a Ranger's victory against the Pens.

I just wanted to say I hope Kreider isn't hurt.

I generally don't post in other team's forums, but injuries from hits (clean or bad) stink.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
What irks me is why Orpik felt it necessary to hit one of our guys high with 30 seconds left in a 6-3 game his team is winning. I'm livid at Boyle for not pummeling his ass into the ice.

That said, watch out when this team gets rolling and gets some practice time in. Once Gaborik gets going and Lundqvist is back to his old self, this will be a very, very good team that will be a force to be reckoned with.
You do know you are talking about Brian Boyle? The man who can't stay on his skates for 5 seconds. The guy who has the ankles/balance of a geriatric woman...

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

I think the offense looked a lot better than last night, the defense...not so much.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
torts hasn't seen a replay of the hit on kreider yet, but maybe he has...if he calls it clean then I will go with that...I apologize for calling for a suspension on Orpik, from what I saw it looked like a headshot, according to torts I was wrong!
It depends on how you interpret that rule. Hits like this where there is head/jaw contact on a straight ahead hit are not punished. It was the exact same situation with Sauer; Phanuef got him shoulder to jaw.

01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Nash was the best player for the Rangers tonight. Richards played a decent game, as did Pyatt. Callahan was great. Halpern is a lot faster than I thought he would be, too.

The team needs to really work on their offensive chemistry, and they REALLY need to put in a better effort. A blatant penalty one minute into each game is simply from a lack of caring, I mean, what was Richards thinking? Awful way to start the game, momentum was down the tube to begin with. Then, after the tying goal by Callahan, Bickel making an ECHL caliber play led to the loss of momentum that was somehow gained after the early blow. Team looked lethargic until it was too late. They were awesome in the last 10 minutes, but that's not acceptable. They should be playing like that for 60 minutes.

They've got two days to practice and look over gametapes. Get your act together and hammer out this chemistry issue.
Dude, Richards sucked. Assists or not. Brutal decision making, slow...ugh.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:38 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
I feel like a Blue Jackets fan.

"Nash was great, but the rest of the team needs to play better".

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Is it too early to want to call up Dylan McIlrath?

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Yeah, Richards has been making a lot of terrible passes

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Nash and Del Zotto look better prepared than the rest of the team, and McDonagh has outplayed Staal and Girardi thus far. I have to think that playing overseas during the lockout has benefited them in terms of adjusting to in-game conditions. Let's hope that the rest of the team can catch up relatively quickly.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:39 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Dude, Richards sucked. Assists or not. Brutal decision making, slow...ugh.
He was pretty average tonight. Few bad passes, bad penalty, but he still had two assists and was fine on offense for the most part. Needs to be better, but I'm more worried about a LOT of players other than Richards.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Everyone boo'd Bickel during the pre-game team introduction and he did not disappoint.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:43 PM
NYRangers723

Quote:
He was pretty average tonight. Few bad passes, bad penalty, but he still had two assists and was fine on offense for the most part. Needs to be better, but I'm more worried about a LOT of players other than Richards.

i hate the behind the back passes it is leading to TO's. Gabby looks like he didnt fix his shoulder i mean he has 4 or 5 great oppurtunties the last 2 games and fanned on all of them. Stepan was a ghost until that shorthanded goal, hagelin boylee and bickel have made poor decisions. Eventually these guys will get it together but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. in a 82 game season you can afford growing pains but in a 48 game season you cant

NYRangers723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
Everyone boo'd Bickel during the pre-game team introduction and he did not disappoint.
I think those were STU's, not boos. But they should have been. In fact the whole arena should have used whoopee cushions for his introduction.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

We cannot take early penalties in the game.

Completely killed any momentum we had at the beginning of the game.

01-20-2013, 09:47 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
I'd actually be more concerned with Richards and Gaborik then our other players.

They are supposed top players and need to play like that. Just average isn't good enough. Richards' decision making these past two games has been brutal.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers723 View Post
i hate the behind the back passes it is leading to TO's. Gabby looks like he didnt fix his shoulder i mean he has 4 or 5 great oppurtunties the last 2 games and fanned on all of them. Stepan was a ghost until that shorthanded goal, hagelin boylee and bickel have made poor decisions. Eventually these guys will get it together but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. in a 82 game season you can afford growing pains but in a 48 game season you cant
Do you think it has anything to do with him being on the opposite wing?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garian Maborik View Post
My thought process at the time was "Stu or boo? Either would be appropriate."

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Guys. It's not a coincidence that Nash, DZ, McD have been our best players. They played overseas during the lockout. Let the players gain some chemistry and get into form before jumping off a bridge.

Except for Bickel. He has no form to get into.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:50 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Guys. It's not a coincidence that Nash, DZ, McD have been our best players. They played overseas during the lockout. Let the players gain some chemistry and get into form before jumping off a bridge.

Stepan played in Finland and he hasn't looked very good.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post

Well he can get into this janitor uniform I have lying around.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:51 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

How many players did the Pens have overseas? It's an excuse. Every team is going through the same thing, and to this point the Rangers have look very unprepared.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Dangleberry

Just got home from the game.

On a positive note, we actually managed to score a goal on a 5 on 3 situation.

Our PP looked a lot better than it did on Saturday. Generally speaking, our guys need to learn how to pass the ****ing puck. Not for nothing, but watching the Pens go tape to tape was amazing to see. I don't know if it's rust or whatever, but this is an issue that has carried over since last season.

For some reason, we keep getting pinned in our own zone and can't establish the forecheck. I think this is where we miss Dubi the most to be honest.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote