HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers vs. Pens | 1/20/13

View Poll Results: 3 Stars of the Game
Henrik Lundqvist 7 7.29%
Martin Biron 18 18.75%
Stu Bickel 9 9.38%
Michael Del Zotto 9 9.38%
Anton Stralman 1 1.04%
Marc Staal 0 0%
Dan Girardi 1 1.04%
Ryan McDonagh 13 13.54%
Aaron Asham 14 14.58%
Mike Rupp 2 2.08%
Jeff Halpern 5 5.21%
Taylor Pyatt 37 38.54%
Brian Boyle 2 2.08%
Chris Kreider 3 3.13%
Carl Hagelin 5 5.21%
Ryan Callahan 27 28.13%
Derek Stepan 4 4.17%
Rick Nash 81 84.38%
Brad Richards 9 9.38%
Marian Gaborik 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I thought he played really well with Kreider and Hagelin that one shift they all had together. He definitely has chemistry with Kreider and absolutely none with Callahan. Let's stop the Stepan-Callahan experiment.
I'm beginning to suspect Cally might be the odd man out on the first two lines. He doesn't really compliment a Nash-Richards combo or Step-Gabs.

On those both of those configurations he has to be creative. Cally is usually playing his worst game when that happens(blind backhands...YAY). He needs simple, basic, hardworking guys to be effective.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kredier-Stepan-Gaborik

Should be the top 6.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kredier-Stepan-Gaborik

Should be the top 6.
I think its worth a look. But I still don't think Cally fits on that first line. He has never shown any real chemistry with Richards.

Cally also has some of the worst offensive habits on this team.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:31 PM
srsly989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kredier-Stepan-Gaborik

Should be the top 6.
I really have to agree. I think that even ended up happening and it wasn't too bad.

srsly989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:31 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Switch up the lines a bit.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Nash-Stepan-Kreider

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Nash-Stepan-Kreider
I don't think you can break up Nash and Richards. I can see some chemistry forming between the two. In fact they are pretty much the only ones.

Old
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Nash-Stepan-Kreider
Nash and Richards look great together, I think we give it some more games before we split them.

Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I think its worth a look. But I still don't think Cally fits on that first line. He has never shown any real chemistry with Richards.
I'm thinking he should be playing with Boyle and Pyatt. Big tough checking/shut down line and give Cally a lot of PP time. Pyatt plays a lot like Dubi and we know Cally and Dubi had chemistry and their playstyles complimented each other. Worth a shot IMO.

Affinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I'm thinking he should be playing with Boyle and Pyatt. Big touch checking/shut down line and give Cally a lot of PP time. Pyatt plays a lot like Dubi and we know Cally and Dubi had chemistry. Worth a shot IMO.
Yep. I think Cally and Pyatt would be great together. They may even make Boyle look better. If Boyle doesn't work, you can always demote him to play with Asham and Rupp.

Even Pyatt-Halpern-Cally could be a really great line.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Nash and Pyatt played the best out of the whole team.. Lundqvist was alright, but didnt get much help... and was pulled

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Del Zotto honestly spends half his time with the puck behind our net waiting

01-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post

Honestly, with Stu Bickel probably staring at a canary in the rafters; can you blame him?

Old
01-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Watched the game.

*smh*

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I really think this team looks like they're in pre-season form and the two teams we've played didn't.

There's a magnifying glass for sure because the season is short... But we need to give it some time here.

I hope Kreider ok... Yikes.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
smoneil

Quote:
I'm beginning to suspect Cally might be the odd man out on the first two lines. He doesn't really compliment a Nash-Richards combo or Step-Gabs.

On those both of those configurations he has to be creative. Cally is usually playing his worst game when that happens(blind backhands...YAY). He needs simple, basic, hardworking guys to be effective.
I disagree. I think Cally perfectly compliments a Nash-Richards line, but only if Cally stops thinking he's something he's not. I've been VERY disappointed to see Cally back to his blind pass to the point ways already. He did this all last season, too. It didn't work then, either. Cally plays well and puts up points when he plays a simple, grinding game. He keeps the puck in and then puts away the loose pucks around the net. Paired with Richards (a premier set-up guy) and Nash (a shooter), Callahan should get plenty of garbage goals just from putting in Nash's rebounds. The problem is that Cally seems to think he's Richards from time to time.

Hagelin seems to be the most likely candidate to move to the third. With his speed, he forces the other team to stay honest on D.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:35 AM
NYRSchrute217

I'm not opposed to:

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Gaborik

Or switch Kreider and Hagelin. Callahan would be effective on the third line.

I think MSG looks really beautiful. I enjoy my new seats. As for the game, again we need to be patient. Nash seems to be the best forward so far which is a terrific sign, and I love Pyatt's game. Easy guy to root for. If we can play how we did the last 10 minutes, we'll be in good shape. I'm expecting it, with a few home games and a lot of practice time coming up.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
I disagree. I think Cally perfectly compliments a Nash-Richards line, but only if Cally stops thinking he's something he's not. I've been VERY disappointed to see Cally back to his blind pass to the point ways already. He did this all last season, too. It didn't work then, either. Cally plays well and puts up points when he plays a simple, grinding game. He keeps the puck in and then puts away the loose pucks around the net. Paired with Richards (a premier set-up guy) and Nash (a shooter), Callahan should get plenty of garbage goals just from putting in Nash's rebounds. The problem is that Cally seems to think he's Richards from time to time.

Hagelin seems to be the most likely candidate to move to the third. With his speed, he forces the other team to stay honest on D.
That is exactly the point, I think its too tempting for Cally to start to over thinking his station, if you pair him on the first line.

He needs to be surrounded with bangers. Guys who play straight ahead, unsophisticated hockey. Pyatt/Cally would be great together.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

biron > halpern > ? i voted mcdonagh, but could've gone to anybody tbh. nash was a LOT better today, but i don't want to give him credit yet cause he can improve.

biron definitely was the most important part of our team though. w/ hank exhausted or w/e excuse we can make for him, marty stepped up and showed why our goalies make up arguably the best tandem in the league. marty kept us in it and deserves the credit for it.

halpern was 71% on the faceoffs tonight. that's INCREDIBLE! he was taking a few important draws and he looks acceptable everywhere else. he had an incredible block on the pk as well. this is a guy i'll be keeping an eye on from now on.

pyatt wasn't bad either. happy with those two for sure

Quote:
That is exactly the point, I think its too tempting for Cally to start to over thinking his station, if you pair him on the first line.

He needs to be surrounded with bangers. Guys who play straight ahead, unsophisticated hockey. Pyatt/Cally would be great together.
def agree there. i'd love to see those two sync up.

either pyatt/boyle/cally or pyatt/halpern/cally.. not sure though... kreider moving up may not work just yet and that would make pyatt the only other option

i like the concept of stacking the big guys on a line, but it's not working. i think kreider could do more w/ the skill guys creating space. cally has no chemistry w/ stepan and hags has been trying too much.

3 worst players in the game for me were probably hank, richards, and excluding bickel-- hagelin.

i think hank was mentally fatigued. richards was embracing the blind-passing too much and causing turnovers. hagelin was MUCH better tonight, but still absolutely horrible. he's trying to do too much too fast. he's got to just let things come to him. he improved the shot, but he needs to still prioritize looking for the pass. he's not a guy with incredible vision, but as a grinder he was doing excellent. maybe he's gotten too cocky for now?

Last edited by Kreider Typical: 01-21-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Quote:
Honestly, with Stu Bickel probably staring at a canary in the rafters; can you blame him?
If I was paired with Stu Bickel I'd lay down behind the net and cry.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Captain Monglobster

This team has no identity or balls, get spanked liked that in your own building on opening night to a division rival? It took Rick Nash 1 game to become the 2nd best player on the team. Who is filling Prusts role? Lack of depth is gonna hurt this team.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:50 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Some very interesting comments from the players tonight...

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:29 AM
17futurecap

Well that sucked being there. Thought the Asham fight was going to lead to an early Rangers goal, unfortunately the Pens got the early goal. Nash is huge out there, unreal how he possesses the puck. Second period seemed like the Pens were just toying with them when it seemed the Rangers could never get it out of the zone. Another tough one Wednesday, LGR!

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:41 AM
metalan2

Pens fan here. I can't believe how much of your fanbase starting losing their minds over one loss like their not gonna make the playoffs. LOL.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:58 AM
Rangers4Life74

Callahan is most effective when going foward with the puck,grinding along the boards,getting to the front of the net.Not making bad,blind passes to the points.Keep the puck low,get the puck towards the net and go get it.Love him,but hes so frustrating at times

Hagelin;doesnt belong on either of the top 2 lines.Stick him on a line with Boyle and HOPE his speed on that line can possibly set up some scoring chances for Boyle and Pyatt.Kreider on the 3rd line,playing with 2 grinders with no playmaking abilities,is a waste of his talents.

And for the love of god,get Bickel the hell away from this team.We should have signed Rozsival for the 3rd pairing.would have been a perfect fit.Now we are back to playing 5 defensemen and a goon with no skating ability and we are only 2 games into the season.

Last edited by Rangers4Life74: 01-21-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Problematique

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Pens fan here. I can't believe how much of your fanbase starting losing their minds over one loss like their not gonna make the playoffs. LOL.
Penguins board is that way...
There's a strong possibility that either the Rangers or Flyers could be 0-3 after three games. Not the position you want to be in during such a short season.

Just gotta get more shots at the net and stop with the incessant backhand no look passes.

Keep the faith boys.

Problematique is offline   Reply With Quote