Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

Seattle Working To Land NBA Team

Old
01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
I'm surprised the Maloofs haven't sold the team by now after selling the Palms in Vegas.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:44 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
If this happens, then I just say a two-team swap for the divisions, with the Kings/SuperSonics staying in the Pacific....

Trail Blazers join the Pacific
Suns join the Northwest (though a new divisional name would be in order)

Everything else stays the same. So, the two changed divisions would be....

Pacific Division
Golden State Warriors
Los Angeles Clippers
Los Angeles Lakers
Portland Trail Blazers
Seattle SuperSonics

The Division hopefully formerly known as the "Northwest"
Denver Nuggets
Minnesota Timberwolves
Oklahoma City Thunder
Phoenix Suns
Utah Jazz

Suns might not be happy with it, but.... not seeing the other 29 teams overly upset nor do I think they really have a powerful enough ownership group to rally support to their cause to block it.

EDIT: Honestly didn't see Grillinnap's post. He had the same idea as me.

Swapping Utah with Sacramento also makes sense.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

vCash: 500
^ Don't see why the Suns shouldn't be happy with it considering two of their division rivals (Utah and Denver) would be in the same time zone, for most of the season before DST comes. So majority of the division is in the Mountain time zone. Not bad.

Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 01-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Midwest division.

01-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

I can finally stop cheering for the Raptors .

Welcome back Sonics!

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Lakers' Fans Would Welcome Old Sonics' Rivalry at the Expense of Sacramento Kings

Quote:
By Michael C. Jones | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 1 hour 0 minutes ago

Ice Cube had a good day when the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Seattle Supersonics, as he noted in his well-known single that became an instant classic in the early '90s.

Lakers fans felt the same way. It was always a good day for fans whenever that historic rivalry went the Lakers' way. If you lived in Southern California during that time when the games between the Lakers and Sonics were at their peak in the heyday of legends like Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Detlef Schrempf, Cedric Ceballos, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal, then you know how serious their battles on the court were.

With all of the news surrounding the Sacramento Kings' potential sale to an ownership group poised to move the team to the Emerald City, one California city's loss could be another's gain in the form of an intense, yet healthy mutual loathing renewed.
Los Angeles last met the old Supersonics in the postseason in a 1997-98 Western Conference Semifinal playoff series that featured some of the NBA's all-time greats (they've since squared off in the postseason after the Oklahoma City move). Even though Seattle suffered a 4-1 series loss, it showcased some of the game's greats in Payton, Schrempf, O'Neal and a still wet-behind-the-ears Bryant.
Gary Payton, known as a prolific trash-talker, was also his team's best player during Seattle's 61-21 season that year and first place finish in the Pacific Division. In Game 4, he notched 31 points 13 assists and eight rebounds as Seattle to its fell into a deep hole in the series in a hostile environment at L.A.'s Great Western Forum.

Even though the Lakers vs. Oklahoma City Thunder rivalry is good, it's still doesn't have the aura of L.A. vs. Seattle.
When the Lakers went to Key Arena, it was always a marquee event. Even though the Sonics were a middle-of-the-road of the road team in terms of attendance, the building was filled with raging Seattleites when the L.A. visited. Chants of "Beat L.A." could be heard all the way across Puget Sound.

If the Kings move to Seattle, they could legally be renamed the Supersonics once again, and that would in turn renew one of the Pacific Division and NBA's best historic tilts both in name and in substance. Of course things will never be what they were when the teams last squared off when the stakes were high, but if a deal does indeed go through, it'll mean the potential for great basketball games between the two franchises for years to come.

That's a welcome proposition for fans in Southern California.

What about Seattle fans? They're passionate and showed out in force when the team was pulled from them and made their presence known in a number of ways. Incredibly, there were two NBA teams with worse attendance than the Sonics in their final year in 2007-08. The support was always there.

Lakers fans love the rivalry and would welcome it back with open arms. Need proof? Here's one die-hard fan's passionate take on the matter. While it's a shame that it would probably come at the expense of the Sacramento Kings, another great Lakers opponent over the course of history, the Seattle-Los Angeles dynamic is difficult to top.

Cube could probably make it work from a lyrical standpoint, but "The Lakers beat the Thunder" still doesn't wouldn't sound quite right.

Michael C. Jones covers the Los Angeles Lakers and the NBA. He writes regularly for SB Nation and is the Editor of Sports Out West .
You can reach him on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-sea...0500--nba.html

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Clowe Me

Lakers fans should be more concerned with their ****** team winning games than an old old rivalry.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Sacto can redeem themselves if they can land the Athletics.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Clowe Me

Not gonna happen. Lew Wolfe is a bay area guy who wants to get the team close to where he lives in SJ. The A's also just asked the coliseum for a 5-year extension.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Not gonna happen. Lew Wolfe is a bay area guy who wants to get the team close to where he lives in SJ. The A's also just asked the coliseum for a 5-year extension.

Ouch. So still no plans for a new park.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Clowe Me

They have plans. Selig has been dragging his feet for over 2 years about the rights to SJ that previous A's owner Haas gave to the Giants to help keep them in the Bay Area when they were threatening to move to St. Petersburg, Fla. There have been talks about building a stadium in Oakland around Jack London square, which Wolff seemed ok with on the surface, but his first choice is obviously SJ.

Old
01-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Clowe Me

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...7533--nba.html

Local business owners want to keep the team in Sac.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

RIP Kings

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
Just going online now: Maloofs have struck deal to sell 65 percent of Kings to Chris Hansen group in Seattle for $525 million, sources say

Kings deal to Seattle group still requires formal NBA ratification but Hansen group intends to file for relocation by March 1 if approved

ESPN sources say no agreement yet reached on remaining 35 percent of Kings shares, which are held by minority investors, NOT Maloofs

Sources say deal calls for Maloofs to receive non-refundable $30 million from the Hansen group by Feb. 1 whether or not sale is approved
https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
With sale finalized, NBA's Relocation Committee will approve Kings move to Seattle for next season, sources tell Y! "Formality," source says
https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/stat...13960876994560

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:44 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

That stinks for Kings fans. Seems like just yesterday the Maloofs were part of the new cool sports owners.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

It is very sad because I grew up watching the Kings and their WCF run

Adamant that the WCF that year was one of the best in the 2000's and probably hasn't been a better once since

However I am also sad that the Sonics lost their team because some owner was a coward. I also spent some time down in Seattle this summer, and I visited Key Arena. It is a good place. It is a city that loves their sports teams very much

Seattle will give the Kings a good home, but it is very sad that the Kings have to bolt like this.

http://twitter.com/GrantNapearshow/s...21207858372608

Quote:
I've never been more proud to be part of Sacramento than I was last week. Keep the faith! Keep the passion! This fight has just begun!!!!

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
That stinks for Kings fans. Seems like just yesterday the Maloofs were part of the new cool sports owners.
It was not that long ago that the NHL needed to find what the NBA found in Sacramento. That arena is a great barn, one of the few buildings that actually shake when it gets loud.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:47 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It was not that long ago that the NHL needed to find what the NBA found in Sacramento. That arena is a great barn, one of the few buildings that actually shake when it gets loud.
They really should've beaten the Lakers that one year. Would've been something to hear that crowd in the Finals. Sadly it seems like once that team fell apart and the Maloofs didn't see as much success, they just kinda gave up on the team.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

I remember it was 28-2 in favor of the owners that voted yes for the Sonics' relocation to OKC. The two that were against it were the Wizards owner and Mark Cuban. Will be interesting to see what those two will vote this time.

EDIT: Not the Wizards owner. I meant Blazers.

Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 01-21-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 07:49 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

RIP Kings.

Now the question is, does the Hornets name go back to Charlotte too? Nostalgia all around!

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:30 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I'm really happy that the Sonics are back in Seattle

But at the same time, it's sad that Sacramento has to pay the price

It would have been better if they moved the Thunder back to Seattle

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Can't wait to get a cheap, Chinese, Sonics jersey.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:28 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
And that leaves essentially only the Bucks left on the table for NBA relocation discussion, right? With the Kings going and new local ownership for the Hornets/Pelicans and Grizzlies, is anyone else on the chopping block that I'm not aware of? The only other teams that remotely come to mind are the Pacers and Bobcats, but at least from what I've heard their ownerships are both stable and not looking to sell, so they're not on the same level by any means as the other aforementioned teams were/are.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Clowe Me

This sucks.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
And that leaves essentially only the Bucks left on the table for NBA relocation discussion, right? With the Kings going and new local ownership for the Hornets/Pelicans and Grizzlies, is anyone else on the chopping block that I'm not aware of? The only other teams that remotely come to mind are the Pacers and Bobcats, but at least from what I've heard their ownerships are both stable and not looking to sell, so they're not on the same level by any means as the other aforementioned teams were/are.
Michael Jordan owns the Bobcats. I'd say they're pretty stable now.

I don't see the Pacers ever going anywhere either.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote