HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton

Old
01-20-2013, 05:30 PM
mrgjnv

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Teams with no dman prospects also struggle like us
Prospects are doing any team a great amount right now isn't it?

mrgjnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
sg12lw

he missed a big backcheck today bc he was puck watching and buffalo nearly scored....shortly after that pierre and doc starting talking about how great he had been and how smart he is ha

im not trying to rip scott, its just funny they started talking him up after he made a rookie mistake....but thats what i expect from idiots like doc and pierre ha

havent decided what i would do with him yet. he stands out right now bc he has fresh legs. but he isnt going to get enough ice time later in the season to be a big time difference maker. plus the rest of the team will shake off the lockout legs (hopefully) and catch up

not making my decision until his trial is up.....like what i see so far though. hes gonna be a good one

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:26 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Dammit.

EDIT:

Carter - Giroux - Sharp
JVR - Richards - Gagne
Zubrus - Couturier - Williams
Downey - Laughton - Powe
technically we couldnt have drafted couts without trading carter....just sayin

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
That's like the Phillies saying they won't draft a shortstop for a while. You can never be too strong up the middle, and if they are skilled enough they can move to the wing like Schenn. The teams who struggle are the ones weak down the middle.
Also, if we are successful at drafting forwards we can use them to replace forwards on the roster that we lose to free agency or use to trade for the D-men we are missing.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:27 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Also, if we are successful at drafting forwards we can use them to replace forwards on the roster that we lose to free agency or use to trade for the D-men we are missing.
Yeah, but if thats the philosophy, then who on this team do you see as being valuable enough to trade for the dman we need, but expendable enough to trade away.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:45 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Yeah, but if thats the philosophy, then who on this team do you see as being valuable enough to trade for the dman we need, but expendable enough to trade away.
I think his point was to build up enough depth up front that's there's not a huge hole left after a trade. If we are going to make a trade for that first pairing D-man, we are going to have to give up someone of value, that's inevitable.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:46 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
The reason we don't have anyone to trade is because of mismanagement of assets. We had to trade Richards and Carter to restock the team because Holmgren traded all of our picks for short term stop gaps

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I think Laughton is showing that Briere won't be here next year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:04 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
The reason we don't have anyone to trade is because of mismanagement of assets. We had to trade Richards and Carter to restock the team because Holmgren traded all of our picks for short term stop gaps
I agree, however those trades seem to be working out fine for us so far, no? Granted, if we had kept some of those assets (ie the trade for Pronger) maybe wed still have sbisa, lupul and maybe we'd have picked John Moore and Emerson Etem with those 1st rounders... But you can't blame them for not knowing Pronger would sustain a career ending Injury.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:06 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
You really think this team will buyout Briere? Who would you sign with that cap money? There's no top pairing defenseman hitting the market... Maybe you could throw that money at perry but how does that help our need for a #1 defenseman?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
You really think this team will buyout Briere? Who would you sign with that cap money? There's no top pairing defenseman hitting the market... Maybe you could throw that money at perry but how does that help our need for a #1 defenseman?
They might have to if they can't trade him.

It's time to stop relying on free agency to find top defensemen. It's going to be pretty rare anymore, teams are just not going to let them go because they're too important. If you're lucky, you'll find one in a trade (no, Keith Yandle isn't one). I'm pretty sure Jay Feaster will be dumb enough to trade Bouwmeester.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
They might have to if they can't trade him.

It's time to stop relying on free agency to find top defensemen. It's going to be pretty rare anymore, teams are just not going to let them go because they're too important. If you're lucky, you'll find one in a trade (no, Keith Yandle isn't one). I'm pretty sure Jay Feaster will be dumb enough to trade Bouwmeester.
I like bouwmeester. Do you think he might be bought out? I wouldn't mind signing him if he is.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:33 AM
litflyersfan

Quote:
I like bouwmeester. Do you think he might be bought out? I wouldn't mind signing him if he is.
No way he gets bought out, Feaster will eat part of the contract and get something of value long before he even considers buying out Bouwmeester. So in the words of a Calgary fan, what's your offer?

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
No way he gets bought out, Feaster will eat part of the contract and get something of value long before he even considers buying out Bouwmeester. So in the words of a Calgary fan, what's your offer?
Daniel Briere.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:51 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Daniel Briere.
i doubt briere will waive the nmc for cgy.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:09 AM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

I was really impressed with Laughton today. Looked like an NHLer to me.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:13 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
fair point.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:22 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
fair point.
I mean, im not like some who believe he will never waive, but its going to be for a contender.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Raffl House

Quote:

He has played two NHL games. Briere, for all of his maddening points, is clearly a key player on this team. If we're talking about the last two games only, I think we've shown a great deal of inability to create chances, especially on the PP. Laughton is NOT your answer there.

This kid wasn't dominating juniors. So far, he has been seen as a very capable 3rd or 2nd line forward.....after he hits his potential.

We need to calm down and remember he is probably riding juice from playing in his first few NHL games. He has made some mistakes, he has been muscled off the puck and has lost his share of battles.

To say Briere will not be here next season because of two good "energy" games from Laughton? Yikes. Proven top 6 forwards with playoff experience aren't exactly growing on trees. Especially if you are Flyers management.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:24 AM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Daniel Briere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If Homer could somehow get Jay-Bo for Briere straight up God would be blushing with jealously. Getting a borderline #1 for a 2nd line C/RW on the decline on comparable AAVs is money.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Krishna

I'd rather trade Briere than buy him out.

Especially considering some teams would definitely over pay for him.

Teams that could use a #1/2 center :
Anaheim
Chicago
Minnesota ?
Nashville ?
New York Islanders
Toronto
Vancouver (Kesler injured)

With all of those teams and the ability to eat some of the salary, I definitely think we could get a 1st + prospect or two

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carle Winslow View Post

He has played two NHL games. Briere, for all of his maddening points, is clearly a key player on this team. If we're talking about the last two games only, I think we've shown a great deal of inability to create chances, especially on the PP. Laughton is NOT your answer there.

This kid wasn't dominating juniors. So far, he has been seen as a very capable 3rd or 2nd line forward.....after he hits his potential.

We need to calm down and remember he is probably riding juice from playing in his first few NHL games. He has made some mistakes, he has been muscled off the puck and has lost his share of battles.

To say Briere will not be here next season because of two good "energy" games from Laughton? Yikes. Proven top 6 forwards with playoff experience aren't exactly growing on trees. Especially if you are Flyers management.
They might not have a choice. The cap is dropping by $6m next year. Even if they amnesty Bryz, they will still have to pay another goaltender. And the Flyers get their first round picks into the lineup by their second year after the draft.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
They might not have a choice. The cap is dropping by $6m next year. Even if they amnesty Bryz, they will still have to pay another goaltender. And the Flyers get their first round picks into the lineup by their second year after the draft.
Good point.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:16 AM
MsWoof

It will be interesting to see how Briere plays when he gets back. He was bad last season, good on a DEL team but that's not close to NHL calibre. I think that if the Flyers drop 2 of their next 3, send Laughton down to avoid burning a year and let the season's chips fall where they may. If Briere doesn't play well, buy him out and give Laughton a chance next year.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It will be interesting to see how Briere plays when he gets back. He was bad last season, good on a DEL team but that's not close to NHL calibre. I think that if the Flyers drop 2 of their next 3, send Laughton down to avoid burning a year and let the season's chips fall where they may. If Briere doesn't play well, buy him out and give Laughton a chance next year.
Why buy him out if teams would be willing to line up at the deadline/draft to make a trade for him?

Even taking 2m of salary would increase his value a good bit

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote