HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikolai Kulemin

Old
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 500
Nikolai Kulemin

Pens fan (What? A Pens fan showing interest in Kulemin??) coming here in peace. Just wanted to know what your expectations are for Kulemin this year. Do you expect him to perform similar to the way that he did in the KHL, or do you think he might underperform like the way he did last season? He is one of the hardest players in the NHL to determine the value of, he is a previous 30 goal scorer but underwhelmed last season, then came back in the KHL and posted great numbers.

If it was the deadline and Toronto was willing to trade Kulemin, I'd offer Olli Maatta + Eric Tangradi + Robert Bortuzzo.

Thanks guys.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:54 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

Done and done

TMLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:56 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

I'm not going to let his Malkin/Mozyakin inflated stats fool me. I'm expecting a repeat of last year.

I'm a Kulemin fan (have his jersey) but I just...reluctantly have low expectations

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:56 PM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Pens fan (What? A Pens fan showing interest in Kulemin??) coming here in peace. Just wanted to know what your expectations are for Kulemin this year. Do you expect him to perform similar to the way that he did in the KHL, or do you think he might underperform like the way he did last season? He is one of the hardest players in the NHL to determine the value of, he is a previous 30 goal scorer but underwhelmed last season, then came back in the KHL and posted great numbers.

If it was the deadline and Toronto was willing to trade Kulemin, I'd offer Olli Maatta + Eric Tangradi + Robert Bortuzzo.

Thanks guys.
To be honest he has some what degreased from his 30 goal year. He's at his best when he's physical, believe he can be very physical. He's not a natural goal scorer who'll deke you out but he's very responsible and that's why he gets the easy lash here compare to other 7 goal scorer from last year.

He's a very good supportive player for his line mates but can't carry the came on his own. He would be Malkin's dream. A very good hunter and gatherer type of player. Fetches the puck, responsible and good checker.

He's the only chip we have left in terms of NHL ready player to trade. I think it's going to take NHL ready player. I can see him being traded for ( I am going to get burned for this) David Clarkson. Clarkson has no re-signed and rumor in NJ has it he wants to return home close to his kids.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:59 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

I don't think anyone expects him to be a 30 goal scorer again -- the statistics certainly don't support him (he shot a ridiculous 17% that year.) I also don't think he's going to be putting up another 7 goal season again anytime soon, though. Rather, I think the prognosis on Kulemin is a 20-20 guy that can play in all situations -- he forechecks hard, he backchecks hard, he can play the PK, and he can finish on the PP. The versatility offered by him is just great, because he's equally comfortable in a 2nd line secondary scoring role as he is in a 3rd line checking/shutdown role.

That's a solid offer, but I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger. Our team's defensive ability is so laughably non-existent, Kulemin is exactly the type of player we need more of, not less of.

I'd almost want to see a trade like that happen though, just so we can get the NHL edition of the Malkin-Kulemin pwn fest

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:00 AM
sangreale

I don't think they are ready to give up on him quite yet. Nonis will want youth back. I don't think Kulemin is a guy any GM would come looking for being willing to give back too much for. The Leafs will make sure they know what he is before they put a tag on him.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

I expect him to hit 30 goals at least once in the next 3 seasons. Last season was very confusing. He didn't produce much at all in the offensive zone but he was still extremely good defensively and physically.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:03 AM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:

Thanks guys.
sutter ++

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

20-30ish guy with a great defensive ability.

You have to love Kule though, such a great guy.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Expectations have been reset at 20G-25A for a full season, with solid defensive play (last night's poor clearing attempt notwithstanding).

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:08 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
20-30ish guy with a great defensive ability.

You have to love Kule though, such a great guy.

Well 20 ish anyway. And Carlyle would orgasm to have a couple more of him.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:09 AM
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User

Above average second line winger. Capable but underwhelming first line winger.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Gryph

A lot has been made that Kulemin was not his self last year b/c he was in mourning after losing several friends in the Lokomotiv tragedy. While I do not expect him to return to 30 goal form, I think the Leafs should avoid selling low on him and see if he can bounce back to 20-25 goals per year. He is also good defensively and is effective in front of the net.

Gryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paris in Flames

If he can score 20 goals while being...well...Kulemin defensively, I'm thrilled to have him and would take a significant offer to pry him away.

Paris in Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
firstemperor

Part of the reason he doesn't score as much as others is because he never gets PP minutes. He has to get everything 5 on 5. He's a great 5 on 5 2-way guy, above average second liner on a good team at the very least...but can play the shutdown 3rd line role as well. Solid peice to have....if he played with Malkin, well, those KHL stats wouldn't be an abberation.

He's right around a 40-50 point guy with upside for more, he didn't have a good start to last season, the yea before- probably peaked a bit as well. Personally, I wouldn't do the package offered.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:

Thanks guys.
Replace Maatta with Morrow or Pouliot, and the throw ins with this year's 1st and I will make that deal. Maatta is not as high as the other 2 on my list. Really Kulemin is a piece I can see flourish with Malkin and the Pens need more depth on the wing, he has a good cap hit and is signed through to 13-14. If Morrow or Pouliot I would think about it for sure. Pens are right there for a run for the cup, you got to give more than Maatta for Kule IMO.

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:17 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

Gonna roll out four scenarios that might play out for Kulemin at the trade deadline:

1) Underwhelmes again and Toronto falls from playoff contention
2) Produces like he did in 2010 but Toronto falls out of playoff contention
3) Underwhelmes but Toronto is in playoff contention
4) Produces like he did in 2010 and Toronto is in playoff contention

What return would you want for Kulemin in all of these scenarios?

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Gonna roll out four scenarios that might play out for Kulemin at the trade deadline:

So, you in for Morrow or Pouliot and a pick(2nd, if Pens go to cup final it reverts to a 1st), you choose who you want to take off the list, Leafs take the other for Kulemin.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Well if he's producing like he did in 2010, then he's a proven 30 goal scorer twice. With size. And an extremely solid two-way game. That would cost quite a bit to add for any team. I'd probably want Morrow + 1st + Bennet coming back, if we weren't making the playoffs. And even then, I don't really know why Toronto would do that, because you're banking on Bennet becoming a 30 goal guy, which Kulie already would be, Morrow is nice but not exactly what we need, and the first, while solid, is low. So

But he likely won't produce like he did in 2010. If not, and he's on pace for a 20-20 season and is playing well defensively, I'd want a 1st + for him. If Toronto is in playoff contention, I'd rather hold onto him regardless.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:

Thanks guys.
You are overpaying man. Last season was bad for him.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

vCash: 816
If he can score 20 Goals yearly, while playing defense like he does, I'd be ecstatic.

If we were trading Kulemin to the Pens, I'd be looking to package Kulemin + for Sutter (not a big + though)

01-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:

Assuming that you are talking about Pittsburgh...

1) Keep him until next years trade deadline, then decide to sign or trade.
2) Olli Maatta and a 1st round pick.
3) Keep him and determine to sign/trade next season.
4) Keep him and sign him next season.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Interactif

I'm still waiting on Ben's answer, does he want to do a deal of Morrow or Pouliot and a pick(2nd but it reverts to a 1st if Pens go to the Cup final)

How much is the cup worth this year, no doubt Kulemin fills a hole on the wing for the Pens and there is the Malkin connection.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:35 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I honestly think that plan crash his friends died in has been a major contributing factor in the result of his play, and its completely understandable.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Stephen

I don't have any great expectations for him, he seems to be one of those Leafs who come into the league, show some promise and fall off the cliff...

But if you track the career of those guys who fall off the cliff, like an Alex Steen, you find they become useful players in their own right. So I'd wait a little bit longer for Kulemin to see what he'll become...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote