HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win!

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Schultz looked like a vet & Dubnyk was very steady.

Gotta tell Porter not to stick his leg out next time & hopefully slew footing isnt in Hall's reputare. I thought we were the dirty ones

Old
01-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
For the next game I would roll with these lines:

Hall/Gagner/Eberle
Yak/RNH/Hemsky
Smyth/Horcoff/Petrell?
Eager/Belanger/Call up

Harti and PRV should be sent down imo. Maybe call up Josh Green for the 4th line until Jones comes back. The line of Hall/Gags/Ebs have played together before and have shown chemistry. Yak/RNH/Hemsky would be a very dangerous line as RNH can set up either Yak or Hemmer.
yikess... after a win ??
Harti played fine and is better than anyone we could possible callup. I dont mind Petrell as a 3rd liner though.. There is no rust on him.. Like the top 6 you posted as well.

Like the top 3 lines but would prefer Harti-Belanger-Hordichuk for 4th line.. Eager in PB.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO the unsung heroes of the night were Eager, Belanger, Petrell, and N. Schultz. All had very good games, the first 3 games us a very solid 4th line and all 3 were physical. For all of the crap that Tambo gets for signing Belanger and Eager, if they keep playing like this the rest of their contracts they will be key role players here. N. Schultz was solid as always, so happy that we got him for Gilbert. Petry minus that failed keep in attempt that resulted in the breakaway was superb. Nail IMO looked a lot like Hall did in his first few NHL games, not nearly as polished as RNH and Eberle were. When he hits his stride though look out!
Excellent post. This is honestly the first game I've come away truly impressed by Eager

Old
01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Good to see Horcoff get some love.

Great game for him....thats the best he has looked in years.
Ditto. Horc's a good, valuable player when used properly. the same can be said about Belanger. trustworthy, solid veteran NHLer. Krueger used him more in the 3rd when the single point became a priority.

Horcoff-hate can be blamed on Oilers managment using him as a first line centre and trying to convince the fan base that he was. He is a very good 3rd line centre that can fill into the top six after an injury.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Bryanbryoil

Hartikainen was fine, however I wonder if he's too similar of a player offensively to Smyth and Horc (likes to play around the net) to really utilize his skills fully.

01-21-2013, 12:31 AM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Hartikainen didn't get much done out there. That line could use some speed, especially against the slow less physical Sharks. I wonder if Magnus gets a shot on Tuesday?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Hilarious photo of (the caption says Daniel but I'm not sure) Sedin getting clobbered by Eager.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Schultz looked like a vet & Dubnyk was very steady.

Gotta tell Porter not to stick his leg out next time & hopefully slew footing isnt in Hall's reputare. I thought we were the dirty ones
That was a very dumb penalty by Hall, that's the first time that I've seen him do that hopefully it'll be the last. I missed what you're talking about re: Potter though, what happened?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Cerebral

Just watched the game - great to get the win and I thought the Oilers outplayed the Canucks in the last two periods.

Did anyone else really like Gagner's game tonight? I thought he was moving really well out there and I could see him having a solid season on the 2nd line. Petry also really impressed me - it looks like he could emerge as our top defenceman this season.

Namtsua

vCash: 400
Quote:
That was a very dumb penalty by Hall, that's the first time that I've seen him do that hopefully it'll be the last. I missed what you're talking about re: Potter though, what happened?
Knee on knee collision with Mason Raymond !

Old
Asher

Quote:
IMO the unsung heroes of the night were Eager, Belanger, Petrell, and N. Schultz. All had very good games, the first 3 games us a very solid 4th line and all 3 were physical. For all of the crap that Tambo gets for signing Belanger and Eager, if they keep playing like this the rest of their contracts they will be key role players here. N. Schultz was solid as always, so happy that we got him for Gilbert. Petry minus that failed keep in attempt that resulted in the breakaway was superb. Nail IMO looked a lot like Hall did in his first few NHL games, not nearly as polished as RNH and Eberle were. When he hits his stride though look out!
I don't want start this debate again but you comment made me curious enough to read the wild GDT from tonight looking for comments on Gilbert. Based on what I read... let's just say they're pretty happy too. Maybe even overjoyed.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Hartikainen didn't get much done out there. That line could use some speed, especially against the slow less physical Sharks. I wonder if Magnus gets a shot on Tuesday?
Harski was the fastest of the 3 but that's not saying much. That said I'd love to see Harski and Magnus playing on the same line to see if they could translate their chemistry to the NHL level.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:37 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Hilarious photo of (the caption says Daniel but I'm not sure) Sedin getting clobbered by Eager.

Nice find. I remember Eager destroying someone at the Canucks bench but the camera didn't get a good look at it. Great to see that it was one of the Sedins. They're pretty slippery.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
most encouraging part about the game was Dubbie's performance. now, if he can do this consistantly, we got our legit starting goaling. Hopefully, he's a Nabakov (2 good starts, costs you a game. 2 good starts, costs you a game).

next most encouraging part: Krueger's excellent use of the players he's got. he has them all in the right position, with right assignment and recieving the right amount of P/T. And, he made some good adjustments as the game went on (ie. throwing Belanger on the 3rd line wing for more veteran presence in the 3rd)

Old
01-21-2013, 12:38 AM
punk_o_holic

Just got back from the game. Man I still can't get over Eberle's goal. What a thing of beauty and what timing.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:40 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I don't want start this debate again but you comment made me curious enough to read the wild GDT from tonight looking for comments on Gilbert. Based on what I read... let's just say they're pretty happy too. Maybe even overjoyed.
N. Schultz wears a letter here, is solid on the PK, and can play either side, he is a shutdown D and the perfect partner to break in Schultz and maybe next year Klefbom. Gilbert here in short order would be on our 3rd pairing and not get a sniff on the PP just like N. Schultz doesn't. I know who I;d rather have in a defensive and PKing role as well as a mentoring/leadership role.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:41 AM
#ualberta

Good game great win, some observations on tonights victory…

Eberle played very well his goal was pretty sick too

PK was perfect tonight we were sloppy and took to many penalties but the PK did a great job.

Ryan Whitney had a quiet but solid game i would like him to shoot more but its nice to have him healthy.

RNH did not have a good game, he just wasn't there offensively or on the pp defintely not the RNH i'm used to.

Petry i thought played very well really liked his game tonight

Justin Schultz was very calm with the puck and handled himself well pretty good first game, still more to be seen from him though.

DD played very well after that first goal i really liked his game but he has to stop letting in bad goals i thought he should have had that first one.

Hemsky had a great game he played with speed and had some pretty dangles, looked better then i've seen him in a long time.

Hall and Yak were both ok but could have been better.

I would like to see PRV get a shot on the third line maybe move harti down to the fourth line scratch petrell, i feel the third line lacks speed something PRV can bring.
Another line change to perhaps try, move yak up and hall down Hall played well last season with Hemsky and Yak could play better on the top line. These changes can be made in a couple games if the offense struggles .

Well coached game too.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:42 AM
April Ethereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
Good we managed to battle back. Last year we would have folded after 2-0.

Good start.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:44 AM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
For those wanting to send down Hartikainen... the guy only got like 6 minutes of ice time. There was a lot of PP and Pk time in the game and he didn't see the ice a lot.

Give him at least a few more games before we throw him to the dogs.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:46 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

The Great
Petry-Smid- Everything we wanted from this pairing in order for it to become an NHL top pairing. They weren't taking ***** from anyone in their own zone, even the mighty Sedin's. Petry especially was looking like a top-calibre defenseman for me. Big hits, great skating, great stick, great take-aways. The only blip was that breakaway he gave up to Weise, but that was off of a clumsy pass back to the point by a forward. Great play

Eberle - Dangerous all night, creating something from seemingly nothing time after time. His play speaks for itself.

Hemsky - Expectations need to change for this guy. He's no longer the guy to carry the team on his back. He's here to provide secondary scoring, and he looked dangerous as hell for the most part today. Dangles, speed, and a bit more swagger with the shootout goal. The more confidence this guy gets the more assertive he's going to be (which means more shots, better decisions)

The Good

Dubnyk - That first Edler goal was inexcusable - but I think a Potter screen may have affected Dubnyk's sight on that shot. But what a rest of the game! Stopped the Weise breakaway, robbed a few top-notch opportunities in the slot. Looked like a starting goalie to me today.

RNH - Very solid game from RNH. I know people are frustrated with the lack of offensive play from him today, but what a job he did at taking pucks away, covering for Schultz when he would venture up, and D-zone coverage. He'll be back offensively. No worries there for me.

Gagner - He's not going to be a top-10 2nd line C in the NHL, but he had an overall solid game today. Seemed to keep up speed for most of the game, a great assist to Hemsky on his goal, and a great marker in the shootout.

Smyth-Horcoff-Hartikainen - They did their job at ES, and I'm not surprised they blew so many chances to score because to me they're an entire line of stone hands. BUt if I can look at the scoresheet and see that they went EVEN vs. the top lines of other teams I'm happy.

Eager-Belanger-Petrell - Solid PK play from Belanger-Petrell and great hitting from Eager. They're still a mess in their own zone at ES and have no ability to carry the puck up the ice. But they were physical, put some pressure on VAN in the D-zone, and made their presence felt.

The Schultzes - Solid game from this pairing. I don't see them as being as strong as Petry-Smid, but decent as a second pairing. Got lost at times in their own zone, and seemed to succumb at times to pressure from bigger players like Kassian, but did a good enough job getting the puck out of the zone and onto the forwards' sticks.
Justin - Solid game from him. Got some glimpses of his offensive potential with some insane skates up the ice and opportunities from the slot, and he looked decent defensively with some smart reads and quick sticks. Still getting lost at times in his own zone though, but hopefully as he develops chemistry with Nick this disappears.

Meh

Potter - Was -2 on the night, but looked good on the PK. Kind of screwed up on Edler's goal by getting in the lane and blocking Dubie's view.

Hall - Took 2 unnecessary penalties that jeopardized our chances to come back in this game. Also wasted a lot of solid zone entries by RNH/Ebs by chucking pucks to nobody at the point and wasting time on the PP. But one thing he's always going to be good for is racing to loose pucks and maintaining possession in the zone, and using his speed to create scoring chances. He "looked" dangerous without being dangerous today.

Yakupov - had a nice one-time blast, but we didn't get to see the game-breaking ability from him that I thought he had. Nice for him that there's no pressure on him (yet) to be that person.

The Bad

Whitney - Man he had a rough game. A step slow on almost every play in the D-zone, and completely out of position on the Kassian goal. Hopefully the slowness is from not playing during the lockout. He needs to find his legs if he's going to be playing 20+ min a night this year.

Last edited by The Perfect Human*: 01-21-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Alex87

Quote:
N. Schultz wears a letter here, is solid on the PK, and can play either side, he is a shutdown D and the perfect partner to break in Schultz and maybe next year Klefbom. Gilbert here in short order would be on our 3rd pairing and not get a sniff on the PP just like N. Schultz doesn't. I know who I;d rather have in a defensive and PKing role as well as a mentoring/leadership role.
It's a good example of a trade that worked for both parties. The Oilers badly needed a stay at home type to provide some balance, and could afford to part with Gilbert, who needed a PMD.

It works out especially well for the Oilers in hindsight though, since we also grabbed Justin Schultz who can play Gilbert's role at an even better level.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1121 View Post
One game confirmed this.

Please stop posting, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I don't know about that. How Hall goes is how the Oilers will go. Without him last year we sucked. Once he gets going everyone else gets going
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Trolling away?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigorenko View Post
You're kidding or you are a master troll.
No, and I don't know why it's so hard to believe. You can't feasibly believe Hall is better than Eberle or Nuge, and Yakupov's shot puts him above Hall. Really not that big of a stretch. I understand he creates a lot of energy for us, and i'm not saying he's **** or anything. Just saying, he's the weakest of them.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:57 AM
MessierII

Wow I didn't think Whitney looked bad at all. He messed up on the one goal but he looked more mobile than he has since the injury and was making great choices with the puck all night. I thought Nugent looked off. Potter was probably our worse player.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:01 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Wow I didn't think Whitney looked bad at all. He messed up on the one goal but he looked more mobile than he has since the injury and was making great choices with the puck all night. I thought Nugent looked off. Potter was probably our worse player.
I feel offensively he was solid, but seriously if you watch him and Potter in the defensive zone at even-strength it was a bit of a gong show. Whitney moreso than Potter.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:02 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
This. Gilbert was a good soldier for us, but Petry and J.Schultz would have made him completely superfluous on this roster. N.Schultz impressed me tonight. He seemed to make the right little play almost every time--breaking plays, deflecting shots with his stick, holding the line in the offensive zone etc. He indeed should make for an excellent partner for the junior Schultz.

Closed Thread