HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

#1 - Sharks @ Calgary - Good News, Everyone! - 1/20/13 - 3:00pm - CSNCA KFOX

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 09:59 PM
  #676
209
Registered User
 
209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
I guess it's one game, but Handzus didn't look bad. I think he's okay so far this year.



McLaren is a 4th line forward. He has the least TOI among forwards playing tonight.
He's just fodder for when Gomez is signed...

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:10 PM
  #677
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Vlasic: A = Steady Eddy as usual.
Marleau: A = Two goals, hard to get on his case
I didn't think Marleau and Vlasic were the best forward and defenseman in the game today. I'd give that to Couture and Stuart. Vlasic had a couple of brainfarts and basically caused 2 breakaways. Marleau, along with Pavelski and Thornton, had some crucial giveaways that gave Calgary great scoring chances in the first. Couture, despite only getting one assist, seemed to have a good overall game today. Helps that he stopped a goal too.

Overall a good game though. As I said early, after the first, I was pleasantly surprised by everyone except for Clowe, Murray, and Wingels.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
  #678
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Murray looks like he's 300lbs and towing a ship. So the less time he gets the better.
I was gonna say the same about Clowe. Looked like his skates were made out of cement.

Anyone else think the Flames should be called the Calgary Condiments with those god awful colors?

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
  #679
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC
 
ChompChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas, TX (Ugh)
Country: United States
Posts: 8,719
vCash: 500
I don't know where this goes and I don't know if I should start a thread for it, but has there been any sighting of Nem's kickass wallpapers that have Sharks schedule on them? His work is brilliant and I love em so just wondering. He's probably busy and stuff, but I thought I would float it out there.

ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
  #680
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,559
vCash: 500
I'm still trying to find an updated downloadable schedule I can import into my google calendar.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:49 PM
  #681
Hatrick Marleau
#Gutless
 
Hatrick Marleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: #awkward
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
My Takes: (first game expectations)

Niemi: A+ = holy crap, is this Antti or his alternate dimension evil twin?
JT: B = Not his angry self, but still pretty good.
Stuart: B = Nothing spectacular but he looked solid and comfortable
Vlasic: A = Steady Eddy as usual.
Havlat: B+ = Looked just a little bit out of sync, but thats excuseable
Marleau: A = Two goals, hard to get on his case
Boyle: B = Again, looked a bit out of sorts, but not for lack of effort.
Pavelski: B- = Looked a little invisible tonight
Clowe: C+ = Better than last year, but still not right.
Couture: B+ = His line's success was mostly his doing
Burish: C = I really didnt notice him much.
Wingels: C = Every good shift seemed to be followed by a major mistake.
McLaren: C = Big improvement over his previous worthlessness, but still fairly worthless, bring on Gomez.
Galiardi: C+ = Lots of good work, no finish, hope that clears up soon.
Desjardins: B = Doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing out there.
Murray: C- = Sadly it looks like Murray is still behind the 8 ball.
Irwin: A = Kid looked like he belonged. It was pretty great to see a guy skating with Boyle that can actually keep up with him.
Braun: C+ = barely noticed him tonight. My bet is his hand is still a big problem. Plus Murray.

Honestly, couldn't ask for a much better first game of the season though.
This is a good post. Only thing I'd change would be Murray's grade to D-. He was pretty bad.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:02 PM
  #682
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
This is a good post. Only thing I'd change would be Murray's grade to D-. He was pretty bad.
I was in a bar watching and talking to people, can anyone tell why wingels didn't do so well, thought he was average out there, good on the forecheck etc

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:06 PM
  #683
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I was in a bar watching and talking to people, can anyone tell why wingels didn't do so well, thought he was average out there, good on the forecheck etc
I remember Galiardi being the better forechecker on that line. Wingels just didn't have a great game. Poor boardwork, lousy giveaways, no puck control.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 PM
  #684
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I remember Galiardi being the better forechecker on that line. Wingels just didn't have a great game. Poor boardwork, lousy giveaways, no puck control.
Ahh ok. Hope he turns it around.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:28 PM
  #685
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Wingles was fine as were most of the guys. Wingles drew at least one penalty and had a lot of energy. It's the first game and there is a certain amount of settling that will occur in the first few games as far as them getting comfortable. Stuart was the best D, Murray always looks like he's skating in cement but he had much better jump than he did last year when he was injured. If we get this Niemi for the whole season and playoffs the sharks are a serious contender. Again though, first game so we'll see. Zeus did exactly what was needed. THought his skating looked much better than last season. Again injuries... If this lineup adds Burns, demers and Gomez and the sky is the limit.


Last edited by NWShark*: 01-20-2013 at 11:56 PM.
NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:32 PM
  #686
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 31,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
I'm still trying to find an updated downloadable schedule I can import into my google calendar.
Will this work?

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=81102

__________________

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:45 PM
  #687
rangerssharks414
Registered User
 
rangerssharks414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,773
vCash: 500
Just got done watching on the DVR...

Niemi was outstanding. He saved the Sharks' bacon so many times in the first period when they were just awful. Irwin looked pretty good out there. Murray was pretty bad. I hope it's just one game, or he'll be sitting in the press box once the defense gets healthy. I wanted to laugh once the Sharks allowed that power play goal in the first, but I didn't. The power play was meh. I expect them to score on a two-man advantage with all of the weapons they have. Overall, a pretty decent final 30 minutes, and a solid win to start the year.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:46 PM
  #688
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I didn't think Marleau and Vlasic were the best forward and defenseman in the game today. I'd give that to Couture and Stuart. Vlasic had a couple of brainfarts and basically caused 2 breakaways. Marleau, along with Pavelski and Thornton, had some crucial giveaways that gave Calgary great scoring chances in the first. Couture, despite only getting one assist, seemed to have a good overall game today. Helps that he stopped a goal too.

Overall a good game though. As I said early, after the first, I was pleasantly surprised by everyone except for Clowe, Murray, and Wingels.
The grades were meant simply against what was expected of them as individuals. Irwin vastly exceeded expectations, as did Marleau, etc. If I had to pick a best forward and best defensemen though it would be Couture or Marleau (tough call) and Vlasic.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:54 PM
  #689
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
The sharks are even deeper on D than I initially thought based on how well Irwin played. I'l be shocked if they don't trade someone once Demers and Burns are healthy. If Petrecki can play too that's just icing on the cake.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:02 AM
  #690
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
Had to dvr the game..My take on tonight: 1st period ugly, Nemo on his game. 2nd period on Sharks looked good. Package Clowe and Murray, their better days are gone imo. Clowe was useless and Irwin looked like he belonged. Handzus was meh. PK looked like one. Agree with another poster who commented on Irwin being paired with Boyle. Solid.

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:38 AM
  #691
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
My Takes: (first game expectations)

Niemi: A+ = holy crap, is this Antti or his alternate dimension evil twin?
JT: B = Not his angry self, but still pretty good.
Stuart: B = Nothing spectacular but he looked solid and comfortable
Vlasic: A = Steady Eddy as usual.
Havlat: B+ = Looked just a little bit out of sync, but thats excuseable
Marleau: A = Two goals, hard to get on his case
Boyle: B = Again, looked a bit out of sorts, but not for lack of effort.
Pavelski: B- = Looked a little invisible tonight
Clowe: C+ = Better than last year, but still not right.
Couture: B+ = His line's success was mostly his doing
Burish: C = I really didnt notice him much.
Wingels: C = Every good shift seemed to be followed by a major mistake.
McLaren: C = Big improvement over his previous worthlessness, but still fairly worthless, bring on Gomez.
Galiardi: C+ = Lots of good work, no finish, hope that clears up soon.
Desjardins: B = Doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing out there.
Murray: C- = Sadly it looks like Murray is still behind the 8 ball.
Irwin: A = Kid looked like he belonged. It was pretty great to see a guy skating with Boyle that can actually keep up with him.
Braun: C+ = barely noticed him tonight. My bet is his hand is still a big problem. Plus Murray.

Honestly, couldn't ask for a much better first game of the season though.


So I guess you're trying to forget that Handzus is on the team?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
  #692
WildisLaw
Just win, baby
 
WildisLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Napa Valley, Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Nice turnaround after that bad start.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:31 AM
  #693
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
One thing that bothered me... the puck was bouncing like crazy. Usually a sign of bad ice or the pucks not being frozen. Since when does Calgary have bad ice?

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:44 AM
  #694
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Quote:
Please note, the schedules below were updated in June 2012 and do not contain TV and Radio information. The schedules below will be updated after that information is made available. All dates, times and other information contained in the schedules below are subject to change according to the NHL Schedule.
This is why I'm looking for it...

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:29 AM
  #695
Oberursel
Registered User
 
Oberursel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
http://sharks.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm


http://sharks.nhl.com/club/calendar.htm

EDIT: oops, sorry, no local TV info there... Anybody have a better one?

Oberursel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:51 AM
  #696
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
So I guess you're trying to forget that Handzus is on the team?
Who?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:02 AM
  #697
richo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Only saw the 2nd and 3rd periods. Things looked good overall. I have but one complaint and it's one I've had the past couple seasons. On a two man advantage Couture was positioned either behind the goal line very close to the net or just off to the side of the net - neither spot being effective to help at all. Yes they scored but it was a great shot by Boyle. Why are the Sharks the only team that doesn't seem to understand you should either spread it out or clog up the front?

richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
  #698
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
Only saw the 2nd and 3rd periods. Things looked good overall. I have but one complaint and it's one I've had the past couple seasons. On a two man advantage Couture was positioned either behind the goal line very close to the net or just off to the side of the net - neither spot being effective to help at all. Yes they scored but it was a great shot by Boyle. Why are the Sharks the only team that doesn't seem to understand you should either spread it out or clog up the front?
The reason why they position themselves off to the side in that situation is to have an outlet down low for the point guy to go to. Clogging the net isn't always the best solution if you want to get the puck through and spreading it out gives the defense time as well when you move the puck. And they aren't the only team that does that.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:09 AM
  #699
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,544
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
Only saw the 2nd and 3rd periods. Things looked good overall. I have but one complaint and it's one I've had the past couple seasons. On a two man advantage Couture was positioned either behind the goal line very close to the net or just off to the side of the net - neither spot being effective to help at all. Yes they scored but it was a great shot by Boyle. Why are the Sharks the only team that doesn't seem to understand you should either spread it out or clog up the front?
i think other teams should maybe i don't know start following what the sharks do on the power play, considering the sharks have been a top team on the power play for the past 6 years.

the sharks last season had 7 opportunities on 5-3's, scored on 3 of them for 42% rate of conversion.
2010-11 the sharks had 17 opportunities on 5-3, scored on 7 of them for 41% rate of coversion.
2009-10 the sharks had 10 opportunities on 5-3, scored on 1 of them for a 10% rate of conversion.
2008-09 the sharks had 23 opportunities on 5-3, scored on 8 of them for a 34% rate of conversion.
2007-08 and lower we have no information on 5-3's.


Last edited by Barrie22: 01-21-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
  #700
pappaf2
Registered User
 
pappaf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
My Takes: (first game expectations)

Niemi: A+ = holy crap, is this Antti or his alternate dimension evil twin?
Only one way to tell, did he have a goatee?

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.