HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 10:53 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Are we still on that? Kid is healthy and in top shape, if he is able to perform at the NHL level then what does it matter how he got to where he is? I wouldn't care if he was a walk-on hfboarder, if you're that good, you're that good.

If you're worried about that inevitable wall young players hit early in their careers, well the best way to prepare for that wall is to hit it. If he's up for it, I'd want him to be a battle-hardened vet by 20-21.
Edmonton and Buffalo are legit bubble teams this year. They can benefit from having Grigorenko and Yakupov and playing them for a playoff round or two.

Montreal is a basement team. Galchenyuk as such should go back to Sarnia.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Edmonton and Buffalo are legit bubble teams this year. They can benefit from having Grigorenko and Yakupov and playing them for a playoff round or two.

The Habs aren't the same team as last year. Might not show it for a couple of weeks until we have some semblance of a system and our "couch" players get in game shape, but I think we have a very solid team.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:08 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Disagree.

And even if I did agree, wouldn't mean Galchenyuk should go down. Let him learn up here if he can. Therrien will have them playing hard and playing the right way. Sometimes you gotta learn to lose before you win.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Habs aren't the same team as last year. Might not show it for a couple of weeks until we have some semblance of a system and our "couch" players get in game shape, but I think we have a very solid team.
In a 48 game season, "a couple of weeks" is the difference between being a basement team and a playoff contender.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I will never understand this. So let's put a kid on a position he knows nothing about to reduce his assignments.....You don't do that. He's a centerman who needs to play that position and learn from it. EVen if it means smaller minutes on a 4th line. But you drafted him that way. He plays that way with his team. Play him that way with your team. Period.
Yeah...He looked like Ovechkin trying to play defense, I.E , lost... But I wouldn't put him with tomato cans on the 4th line though.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Are we still on that? Kid is healthy and in top shape, if he is able to perform at the NHL level then what does it matter how he got to where he is? I wouldn't care if he was a walk-on hfboarder, if you're that good, you're that good.

If you're worried about that inevitable wall young players hit early in their careers, well the best way to prepare for that wall is to hit it. If he's up for it, I'd want him to be a battle-hardened vet by 20-21.
Neither one really. It really comes down to I'd prefer that Galchenyuk have 2 full years of OHL play under his belt before making the big jump. Virtually all those young stars you mentioned had 2 years or more in the CHL if they played there. Patrick Kane was the lone exception. Burmistrov only played 1 and has not developed as expected.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:41 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Neither one really. It really comes down to I'd prefer that Galchenyuk have 2 full years of OHL play under his belt before making the big jump. Virtually all those young stars you mentioned had 2 years or more in the CHL if they played there. Patrick Kane was the lone exception. Burmistrov only played 1 and has not developed as expected.
2 years of OHL ?

Old
01-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
2 years of OHL ?
Yeah, Galchenyuk played a full season in 2010-11 and could play a near full one this year. Last year he played 2 regular season games and 6 playoff games so you basically discount it in terms of experience.

In pretty much every other case, those young stars had 2 years of CHL action under their belts before making the jump (obviously most of them did not miss most of their draft year).

Old
01-20-2013, 11:55 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
How many of those players do you think would have been held back from the NHL if they were in the EXACT same situation as Galchenyuk?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:03 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
How many of those players missed all but 8 games in the year before joining the NHL as an 18 year old?

I think the feeling from many of the ''send him back'' group would be far different if Galchenyuk had played at least half of last season.
But he played half of this season and dominated. Isn't that much more relevant than what happened last year?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:05 AM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Let him play.

If he were festering under J. Martin's system of being on the 4th line with no ice time, send him down.

This is different. Playing on the second line in the NHL is the best development that he could have for his career. On the job training.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:06 AM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Let him play.

If he were festering under J. Martin's system of being on the 4th line with no ice time, send him down.

This is different. Playing on the second line in the NHL is the best development that he could have for his career. On the job training.
Well said

Old
01-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Quote:
How many of those players do you think would have been held back from the NHL if they were in the EXACT same situation as Galchenyuk?
This is a highly speculative scenario.

I think the only guys who would have been in the NHL for sure among OHL forwards are Tavares and Hall since they had 4 and 3 seasons of OHL hockey under their belts respectively. They had nothing more to learn. Doughty also had 3 years of experience, so he would have been kept in LA I believe.

Couturier also had nothing more to learn in the Q after 3 years of experience, so he would have been kept (probably would have gone higher in the draft too had he missed most of his draft year!)

Fowler had 1 OHL season under his belt, so if he had missed it all, he probably would not have been kept up.

Stamkos would have been interesting, his 16 year old OHL rookie season was slightly better than Gally's, so I think he would have possibly stayed up had his 17 year old season been a few games.

Landeskog, Hedman and Larsson would have been 70/30 towards being in the NHL, the fact they turned 19 early in their rookie seasons would have helped them.

Seguin, RNH, Duchene, E. Kane, J. Staal, O'Reilly, Skinner would have most likely been sent back, IMO.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:09 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
OMG Yakupov -2 trade him.. put him in Sarnia... wasted 48 games

LOL joking... Overreaction for Galchenyuk... UFA at 25 or 26... if he loves MTL he will stay... if not we will lose him so let him play
Agreed. You can't make decisions now based on what may or may not happen 7 or 8 years from now. If the Habs think he's ready to develop at the NHL level, they will keep him up. If they think his development is best served in Sarnia, they will send him down. Contract implications of that decision 7 years down the line shouldn't be the primary consideration.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Slick Nick

Wherever he plays I just want him to play C. Anyway you want to put it, this team is terrible.. you need to find him a C spot. I'd rather see Eller play on the wing.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:21 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Wherever he plays I just want him to play C. Anyway you want to put it, this team is terrible.. you need to find him a C spot. I'd rather see Eller play on the wing.
Then you haven't seen Eller play wing before.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:23 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Exactly. Unbelievabad.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's just as terrible at center.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:34 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Seguin, RNH, Duchene, E. Kane, J. Staal, O'Reilly, Skinner would have most likely been sent back, IMO.
So, hypothetically speaking, if these guys totally dominated junior hockey for half a year after being drafted, and then made the team out of camp after a lockout, and then proved they could play in the NHL in their 5-game stint, you think they'd have been sent down because they didn't meet your "minimum required" junior games played?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Then not knowing Eller's best position is the least of your worries

Old
01-21-2013, 12:45 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Exactly. Unbelievabad.
This is a myth as far as I'm concerned. He played almost exclusively at centre since we acquired him, save for a few games here and there. Definitely not enough of a sample to draw any conclusions.

And to echo the point of a poster above, it's not like he's been lights out at centre either. I think if Eller absolutely can't play wing, it says more about the capabilities of Eller than it does about management's handling of him.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:19 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Well, that confirms it.

And this is the Galchenyuk thread, lets get back on topic people.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:30 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
This is a myth as far as I'm concerned. He played almost exclusively at centre since we acquired him, save for a few games here and there. Definitely not enough of a sample to draw any conclusions.

And to echo the point of a poster above, it's not like he's been lights out at centre either. I think if Eller absolutely can't play wing, it says more about the capabilities of Eller than it does about management's handling of him.
I've quite liked him at center, actually.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:38 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You guys have low expectations if you thought Bourque looked good.
I expect him to be better than last year. It's indeed not really hard to achieve

Old
01-21-2013, 01:41 AM
lamp9post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I've quite liked him at center, actually.
Hey, I'm pleased with his play as a 3rd line centre as well. I just don't get the prevailing opinion that he absolutely cannot play the wing based on the few games he has actually played that position.

I could think of far worse things than having a 6'2" 220lbs 2nd line playmaking winger, which Eller most definitely can become if given the opportunity. Not saying he should be a winger or he should be a centre, but saying that he absolutely CANNOT play wing is being closed minded. He definitely has the ability to do so.

Closed Thread