HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 10:53 PM
  #151
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Are we still on that? Kid is healthy and in top shape, if he is able to perform at the NHL level then what does it matter how he got to where he is? I wouldn't care if he was a walk-on hfboarder, if you're that good, you're that good.

If you're worried about that inevitable wall young players hit early in their careers, well the best way to prepare for that wall is to hit it. If he's up for it, I'd want him to be a battle-hardened vet by 20-21.
Edmonton and Buffalo are legit bubble teams this year. They can benefit from having Grigorenko and Yakupov and playing them for a playoff round or two.

Montreal is a basement team. Galchenyuk as such should go back to Sarnia.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
  #152
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Edmonton and Buffalo are legit bubble teams this year. They can benefit from having Grigorenko and Yakupov and playing them for a playoff round or two.

Montreal is a basement team. Galchenyuk as such should go back to Sarnia.
The Habs aren't the same team as last year. Might not show it for a couple of weeks until we have some semblance of a system and our "couch" players get in game shape, but I think we have a very solid team.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:08 PM
  #153
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Edmonton and Buffalo are legit bubble teams this year. They can benefit from having Grigorenko and Yakupov and playing them for a playoff round or two.

Montreal is a basement team. Galchenyuk as such should go back to Sarnia.
Disagree.

And even if I did agree, wouldn't mean Galchenyuk should go down. Let him learn up here if he can. Therrien will have them playing hard and playing the right way. Sometimes you gotta learn to lose before you win.

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:09 PM
  #154
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 28,877
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Habs aren't the same team as last year. Might not show it for a couple of weeks until we have some semblance of a system and our "couch" players get in game shape, but I think we have a very solid team.
In a 48 game season, "a couple of weeks" is the difference between being a basement team and a playoff contender.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:16 PM
  #155
Riddum
Registered User
 
Riddum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I will never understand this. So let's put a kid on a position he knows nothing about to reduce his assignments.....You don't do that. He's a centerman who needs to play that position and learn from it. EVen if it means smaller minutes on a 4th line. But you drafted him that way. He plays that way with his team. Play him that way with your team. Period.
Yeah...He looked like Ovechkin trying to play defense, I.E , lost... But I wouldn't put him with tomato cans on the 4th line though.

Riddum is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:25 PM
  #156
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,644
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Are we still on that? Kid is healthy and in top shape, if he is able to perform at the NHL level then what does it matter how he got to where he is? I wouldn't care if he was a walk-on hfboarder, if you're that good, you're that good.

If you're worried about that inevitable wall young players hit early in their careers, well the best way to prepare for that wall is to hit it. If he's up for it, I'd want him to be a battle-hardened vet by 20-21.
Neither one really. It really comes down to I'd prefer that Galchenyuk have 2 full years of OHL play under his belt before making the big jump. Virtually all those young stars you mentioned had 2 years or more in the CHL if they played there. Patrick Kane was the lone exception. Burmistrov only played 1 and has not developed as expected.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:41 PM
  #157
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Neither one really. It really comes down to I'd prefer that Galchenyuk have 2 full years of OHL play under his belt before making the big jump. Virtually all those young stars you mentioned had 2 years or more in the CHL if they played there. Patrick Kane was the lone exception. Burmistrov only played 1 and has not developed as expected.
2 years of OHL ?

FF de Mars is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:46 PM
  #158
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,644
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
2 years of OHL ?
Yeah, Galchenyuk played a full season in 2010-11 and could play a near full one this year. Last year he played 2 regular season games and 6 playoff games so you basically discount it in terms of experience.

In pretty much every other case, those young stars had 2 years of CHL action under their belts before making the jump (obviously most of them did not miss most of their draft year).

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 11:55 PM
  #159
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Neither one really. It really comes down to I'd prefer that Galchenyuk have 2 full years of OHL play under his belt before making the big jump. Virtually all those young stars you mentioned had 2 years or more in the CHL if they played there. Patrick Kane was the lone exception. Burmistrov only played 1 and has not developed as expected.
How many of those players do you think would have been held back from the NHL if they were in the EXACT same situation as Galchenyuk?

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:03 AM
  #160
lamp9post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
How many of those players missed all but 8 games in the year before joining the NHL as an 18 year old?

I think the feeling from many of the ''send him back'' group would be far different if Galchenyuk had played at least half of last season.
But he played half of this season and dominated. Isn't that much more relevant than what happened last year?

lamp9post is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:05 AM
  #161
SouthernHab
jak się masz
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,887
vCash: 500
Let him play.

If he were festering under J. Martin's system of being on the 4th line with no ice time, send him down.

This is different. Playing on the second line in the NHL is the best development that he could have for his career. On the job training.

SouthernHab is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:06 AM
  #162
CP31
Registered User
 
CP31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Welland, ON
Posts: 1,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Let him play.

If he were festering under J. Martin's system of being on the 4th line with no ice time, send him down.

This is different. Playing on the second line in the NHL is the best development that he could have for his career. On the job training.
Well said

CP31 is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:08 AM
  #163
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,644
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
How many of those players do you think would have been held back from the NHL if they were in the EXACT same situation as Galchenyuk?
This is a highly speculative scenario.

I think the only guys who would have been in the NHL for sure among OHL forwards are Tavares and Hall since they had 4 and 3 seasons of OHL hockey under their belts respectively. They had nothing more to learn. Doughty also had 3 years of experience, so he would have been kept in LA I believe.

Couturier also had nothing more to learn in the Q after 3 years of experience, so he would have been kept (probably would have gone higher in the draft too had he missed most of his draft year!)

Fowler had 1 OHL season under his belt, so if he had missed it all, he probably would not have been kept up.

Stamkos would have been interesting, his 16 year old OHL rookie season was slightly better than Gally's, so I think he would have possibly stayed up had his 17 year old season been a few games.

Landeskog, Hedman and Larsson would have been 70/30 towards being in the NHL, the fact they turned 19 early in their rookie seasons would have helped them.

Seguin, RNH, Duchene, E. Kane, J. Staal, O'Reilly, Skinner would have most likely been sent back, IMO.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:09 AM
  #164
lamp9post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
OMG Yakupov -2 trade him.. put him in Sarnia... wasted 48 games

LOL joking... Overreaction for Galchenyuk... UFA at 25 or 26... if he loves MTL he will stay... if not we will lose him so let him play
Agreed. You can't make decisions now based on what may or may not happen 7 or 8 years from now. If the Habs think he's ready to develop at the NHL level, they will keep him up. If they think his development is best served in Sarnia, they will send him down. Contract implications of that decision 7 years down the line shouldn't be the primary consideration.

lamp9post is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:10 AM
  #165
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Wherever he plays I just want him to play C. Anyway you want to put it, this team is terrible.. you need to find him a C spot. I'd rather see Eller play on the wing.

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:21 AM
  #166
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Wherever he plays I just want him to play C. Anyway you want to put it, this team is terrible.. you need to find him a C spot. I'd rather see Eller play on the wing.
Then you haven't seen Eller play wing before.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:23 AM
  #167
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Then you haven't seen Eller play wing before.
Exactly. Unbelievabad.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
  #168
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Then you haven't seen Eller play wing before.
He's just as terrible at center.

Slick Nick is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:34 AM
  #169
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Seguin, RNH, Duchene, E. Kane, J. Staal, O'Reilly, Skinner would have most likely been sent back, IMO.
So, hypothetically speaking, if these guys totally dominated junior hockey for half a year after being drafted, and then made the team out of camp after a lockout, and then proved they could play in the NHL in their 5-game stint, you think they'd have been sent down because they didn't meet your "minimum required" junior games played?

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:37 AM
  #170
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
He's just as terrible at center.
Then not knowing Eller's best position is the least of your worries

Ginu is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 12:45 AM
  #171
lamp9post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Exactly. Unbelievabad.
This is a myth as far as I'm concerned. He played almost exclusively at centre since we acquired him, save for a few games here and there. Definitely not enough of a sample to draw any conclusions.

And to echo the point of a poster above, it's not like he's been lights out at centre either. I think if Eller absolutely can't play wing, it says more about the capabilities of Eller than it does about management's handling of him.

lamp9post is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 01:19 AM
  #172
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
He's just as terrible at center.
Well, that confirms it.


And this is the Galchenyuk thread, lets get back on topic people.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 01:30 AM
  #173
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
This is a myth as far as I'm concerned. He played almost exclusively at centre since we acquired him, save for a few games here and there. Definitely not enough of a sample to draw any conclusions.

And to echo the point of a poster above, it's not like he's been lights out at centre either. I think if Eller absolutely can't play wing, it says more about the capabilities of Eller than it does about management's handling of him.
I've quite liked him at center, actually.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 01:38 AM
  #174
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot
 
QuebecPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sherbrooke , Qc
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You guys have low expectations if you thought Bourque looked good.
I expect him to be better than last year. It's indeed not really hard to achieve

QuebecPride is offline  
Old
01-21-2013, 01:41 AM
  #175
lamp9post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I've quite liked him at center, actually.
Hey, I'm pleased with his play as a 3rd line centre as well. I just don't get the prevailing opinion that he absolutely cannot play the wing based on the few games he has actually played that position.

I could think of far worse things than having a 6'2" 220lbs 2nd line playmaking winger, which Eller most definitely can become if given the opportunity. Not saying he should be a winger or he should be a centre, but saying that he absolutely CANNOT play wing is being closed minded. He definitely has the ability to do so.

lamp9post is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.