Putting the blame where it belongs

Old
01-21-2013, 12:42 AM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

Let's just be optimistic and say Benn signs tomorrow.

Eriksson - Roy - Jagr (Why break up what looks to be working so well?)
Whitney - Benn - Ryder (Process of elimination with top 6 forwards)
R. Smith - Eakin - Sceviour (Garbutt isn't working on this line IMO, he's not bad but doesn't belong. Sceviour at least deserves the shot, if not call up Vincour)
Morrow - Fiddler - Nystrom (Has looked at least serviceable so far)
Wandell (I like him but he really doesn't have a place anymore)

Our defense is a more pressing matter. At this point, I'd toss Robidas for whatever the hell I can get for him. Gogo too, but GMJN won't trade him after the extension and there's a tad bit of hope for him.

Dillon - Larsen (Has been our best pairing and I think they'll only get better)
Goligoski - Benn (A PMD and a guy willing to hit with decent skill? Why not try it? I doubt it works but it can't be worse than Gogo - Robi)
Daley - Rome (Only guys left)

Goalies are more than good at this point, both have looked stellar and we know what Bachman can do.

Again though, let's try not to get all doom and gloom. We're two games in FFS.

And trading Bachman right now is god-awful asset management. Nilstrop's played one game in the NHL for god's sake.
Hmmmm...needs moar Oleksiak.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
That was more at Eriksson on the 3rd line than anything. Whatever line he's on is pretty much always the 1st, that's how it's been for the past 4-5 years.
You know I'm a huge Eriksson supporter. I'd expect to give Jagr and Whitney some extra time off per game to keep them fresh-er. I mean, we could put R Smith and Ryder in that third line spot no problem but either way someone's not gonna get all the prime offensive minutes to keep legs fresh.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Have people seriously already forgotten how good Bachman is? Am I the only one who watches our prospects? haha.

Turned out right about Dillon.

Was right about Glennie.

Right about Vincour.

Right about Roman.

Knew Vish would bolt to the KHL.

Right about Kari turning his ship around.

Even called several trades and signings now. It's interesting how the ones who don't know the sport too well, are the most vocal. Haha, welcome to the internet

Anybody have anything else to add to the Systems and coaching discussion?

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Perhaps you forgot about how well he performed last season when Kari was injured.
He played well (and he'll probably play well when he comes back to Dallas whenever that is). But a #1? That's way pushing it.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Lobo just said it for me. Bachman is a nice backup and that has value, ie 5th round or so. He's too small and unless his rebound control has morphed into something phenomenal this off season he's not a No. 1 goaltender.

Nilstorp isn't going to replace Lehtonen and the future comment was a focus on backups but give me the bigger athletic guy verses the smaller one every day. Nilstorp is going to have to continue to prove it but between the two I think you have blinders on as to Bachman's deficiencies.
Whew. Insane talent evaluation night tonight? Bachman and bad rebound control? Bring some video evidence please.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Have people seriously already forgotten how good Bachman is? Am I the only one who watches our prospects? haha.

Was right about Glennie.

Right about Vincour.

Right about Roman.

Even called several trades and signings now. It's interesting how the ones who don't know the sport too well, are the most vocal. Haha, welcome to the internet

You know I believe you, Cin.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Troy McClure

Yes, I've forgotten how good Bachman is because he's barely played. He's not going to land a big return.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
Hmmmm...needs moar Oleksiak.
I just worry about bringing him up too fast. Does he seem ready? Absolutely. But at the same time, I have a feeling if he comes up to the NHL, he's sticking no matter what. And I'd rather not risk ruining him just for a chance success in a shortened season. One defender can't make that huge of a difference unless he ends up being Chara-esque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
You know I'm a huge Eriksson supporter. I'd expect to give Jagr and Whitney some extra time off per game to keep them fresh-er. I mean, we could put R Smith and Ryder in that third line spot no problem but either way someone's not gonna get all the prime offensive minutes to keep legs fresh.
I totally agree. I would like to see 3 scoring lines to keep everyone fresh, but we just don't have the pieces at the moment.

Quote:

Was right about Glennie.

Right about Vincour.

Right about Roman.

No one's saying he won't be that good, simply that he isn't at the moment. And I'm not doubting you, but none of those were particularly hard to predict (all of them together though, is pretty impressive, I'll give you that).

I get all the credit for Sinitsyn when he turns out though.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
He played well (and he'll probably play well when he comes back to Dallas whenever that is). But a #1? That's way pushing it.
He performed the exact same as KAri during his injury. I'd say that's as good as a number 1.

2012 stats.

Bachman - 933 43 1 2.77 .910

Lehtonen - 3497 136 4 2.33 .922

Cam Ward - 3988 182 5 2.74 .915

Hmmm...

Old
01-21-2013, 12:50 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
You know I believe you, Cin.
Yeah I know you do bro. It's the ones claiming Bachman isn't worth more than a 5th I have a serious issue with haha.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
I just worry about bringing him up too fast. Does he seem ready? Absolutely. But at the same time, I have a feeling if he comes up to the NHL, he's sticking no matter what. And I'd rather not risk ruining him just for a chance success in a shortened season. One defender can't make that huge of a difference unless he ends up being Chara-esque.

I totally agree. I would like to see 3 scoring lines to keep everyone fresh, but we just don't have the pieces at the moment.

No one's saying he won't be that good, simply that he isn't at the moment. And I'm not doubting you, but none of those were particularly hard to predict (all of them together though, is pretty impressive, I'll give you that).

I get all the credit for Sinitsyn when he turns out though.
I'll hand you that one for sure

Old
01-21-2013, 12:51 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
He performed the exact same as KAri during his injury. I'd say that's as good as a number 1.

2012 stats.

Bachman - 933 43 1 2.77 .910

Lehtonen - 3497 136 4 2.33 .922

Cam Ward - 3988 182 5 2.74 .915

Hmmm...
Something isn't adding up...

And Ward's stats are useless in this discussion. That entire team top to bottom had a bad year defensively.

And again, I sure as hell wouldn't trade him for a 5th round pick right now. But that's probably the best you'd get if, for some insane reason, you did trade him.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:52 AM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

Quote:
Yeah I know you do bro. It's the ones claiming Bachman isn't worth more than a 5th I have a serious issue with haha.
He's worth a 2nd IMO. If Fistric gets a 3rd...

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Dirty Kari

Richard Bachman is by no means already a #1 goaltender. Comparing him to Schneider or Rask is wrong. I don't see the problem with trading him if Nilstorp is better. He is 25. He will be like 30 when Kari's deal is over. I wouldn't just trade him off for a 5th but c'mon.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrailSwan View Post
He's worth a 2nd IMO. If Fistric gets a 3rd...
Fistric could've landed a 2nd, Joe just cna't get good value in any trade. Ever.

Bachman could easily land a solid defensive prospect and a 2nd.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Something isn't adding up...

And Ward's stats are useless in this discussion. That entire team top to bottom had a bad year defensively.

And again, I sure as hell wouldn't trade him for a 5th round pick right now. But that's probably the best you'd get if, for some insane reason, you did trade him.
Isn't adding up? Having a save percentage that's less than a percent off isn't adding up? He was absolutely peppered with shots when he played, just like Kari. Kari has a significantly better GAA because he's an elite tender.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:56 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Fistric could've landed a 2nd, Joe just cna't get good value in any trade. Ever.

GMJN did Fistric a favor by shipping him to Edmonton instead of taking a slightly higher pick. And besides, it's gonna be a high 3rd and that deep in the draft, 5-10 spots really doesn't mean much at all.

That's what I'd ask for right now (depending on the prospect). No one would pay that though, and we can get more if we hold on to him and let him develop.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Troy McClure

A fifth may be all you get.

Look at the universe of teams that would trade for him as a rental. It's pretty limited. You're essentially looking at teams with injury problems or teams in need of a backup goalie. No team is going to trade for him to be their number one goalie, especially with Luongo dangling out there to nab a starting job for one of the few teams looking for goaltending.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:58 AM
Stars99Lobo37

Quote:
If someone wants to become the first team to get fleeced by Joe Nieuwendyk, sure.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:58 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Isn't adding up? Having a save percentage that's less than a percent off isn't adding up? He was absolutely peppered with shots when he played, just like Kari. Kari has a significantly better GAA because he's an elite tender.
It's more than 1% off. .012 is a pretty big gap, honestly.

And typically, the shorter the scale, the higher the numbers. If anything, that shows to me that he's only a borderline #1, good #2.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kari View Post
Richard Bachman is by no means already a #1 goaltender. Comparing him to Schneider or Rask is wrong. I don't see the problem with trading him if Nilstorp is better. He is 25. He will be like 30 when Kari's deal is over. I wouldn't just trade him off for a 5th but c'mon.
This coming from the same person who wants to trade Jagr, Morrow, and Ryder at the deadline.

Ooooookay

Goodnight HF.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:01 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
If someone wants to become the first team to get fleeced by Joe Nieuwendyk, sure.
Pretty sure I'd consider the Lehtonen trade a fleecing. He was worthless to them, but still.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

Quote:
Name 10 backups that are better than Bachman in the NHL right now. Then name the 5 worst starters.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Stars99Lobo37

Quote:
Pretty sure I'd consider the Lehtonen trade a fleecing. He was worthless to them, but still.
Damn Atlanta.

2nd team to get fleeced it is.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:03 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post

Now, he's not solely to blame. Any shortcomings on the roster also falls on the pretty poor drafting of the last several GMs. Before you say it, I know people are excited about the potential of a few guys in the AHL and juniors. I hope they are awesome, but we'll have to see. The d corps may suck, and that's entirely the result of the team missing on pick after pick back there. There were lots of high picks spent on d-men, and those guys all turned out to be middling NHLers, which is a shame. Bad drafting leads to thin rosters.
Is it the actual bad drafting, or poor player development? You can pick the right player(s), but if you don't develop them properly it can be just as bad as drafting a complete bust.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote