HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

HFSharks Fantasy Head2Head league '13| Division 4

Old
01-17-2013, 08:51 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
If I disappear tonight it's cause my tablet ****ed up but I just have to load it again
be careful that you're not just using your queue as a player tracker if that happens. We had a guy in the mod's fantasy league pick Justin Schultz in like the 3rd round because his clock expired and he didn't realize that Schultz was at the top of his list.

or it could end up being a benefit. Last year in our HF Jays baseball draft, I got bit by an expiring clock in the 5-8 round range. And got "stuck" with Edwin Encarnacion.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
13-14 Sharks CI Feed Tracker: 82 GP |29-39-14 (SJ-Opponent-Van/Nat'l)
www.bluejayshipsters.com We liked the Blue Jays before it was cool.
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

draft order:
1) Scraper Bike (deekortiz3)
2) Clinton Corgis (fistfullofbeer)
3) Spartans (jwhitesj)
4) Grapes of Rathje (The Nemesis)
5) Multiple Scoregasms (Sharklife25)
6) Getzlaf's Toupee (Sharkway Drive)
7) Blown Tire (Sonticus)
8) EyeoftheShark (Lazyking)
9) To Errey is Human (Alaskanice)
10) Aigoo (Kawaii)
11) Hejda's Gonna Hate (Thorntonfan97)
12) Punishers (Infiniterb)

Old
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Thorntonfan97
#GoldMedalInTheFace

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Really Nem 11th? I want my money back

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Yup, had no idea what I was doing... worst roster ever...

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

My roster pretty much sucks too but in my defense, Nem stole half my roster.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:45 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
nah, you've got some solid pieces. Besides, all it takes is a shrewd trade or two and some good waiver wire/FA pickups to turn any team around into a contender. Or for a couple of your players to catch fire.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:08 AM
sonticus
Blown Tire

vCash: 460
Quote:
Should have picked up Huskins!

01-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
My roster is so terrible...

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:05 AM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
Don't worry, guys. There's no Division 5.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:55 AM
sonticus
Blown Tire

Yep, this is just a fun league meant to help us get our feet wet in the world of fantasy hockey. Lets learn from our mistakes!!

sonticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Talk about trial by fire ... first game is against Nem ...

01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
infiniterb

I can part ways with Neimi if anyone wants him. Could use a RW or D.

infiniterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:33 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

a couple of helpful hints for the newbies:

games begin tomorrow. Make sure to check your lineup for Saturday to make sure you don't have anyone who's playing sitting on your bench. You can edit your lineups up until a player's game starts (ie if you've got a player whose team plays a game at 4pm PT tomorrow, you can edit them in or out of your lineup until 3:59pm PT) If a player has a little yellow note icon with a red burst in it, it means there's current news about that player, which could include injury reports. So be sure to check those.

All players who weren't drafted last night are put through waivers after the draft. The waiver period lasts for 2 days, so Saturday night/Sunday morning will see anyone who wasn't picked up become a full fledged FA. This is important for attempting to pick up a player who's not on a team

-If the player is a free agent, the acquisition is immediate (although you can't put that player into your lineup until the next day) and is first-come, first-serve.

-If the player is on waivers, he isn't awarded to a team until the waiver period expires. This is to allow multiple teams to potentially try and claim the player. If more than one team does want the player, he will be given to whichever team has the highest waiver priority (you can see this on the main standings page). Initial waiver priority is based on the reverse of draft order (infiniterb has highest initial waiver priority because he picked 12th/last in round 1. deekortiz3 has the lowest waiver priority because he picked 1st) But each time you make a successful waiver claim, your priority is rest to be last on the list.

I apologize if this comes off as kind of confusing. you'll see how it works if you poke around with teh waivers and whatnot a little bit. So if there's someone you didn't draft but want it pick, right now you have to decide on balancing putting a waiver claim in now to try and get the jump on anyone else (and hope that no one higher than you on the waiver list wants the same guy) vs waiting until the FA period hits so that you don't waste your waiver priority, but risk that someone else swoops in and gets them before you have a chance to.

After the initial mass-waiving of every non-drafted player, players go on waivers whenever they are dropped off of a team to free agency.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
If I were to put a player on LW and they actually play C, would I get penalized?

Newbie here...

Last edited by Oppa: 01-18-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
If I were to put a player on LW and they actually play C, would I get penalized?

Newbie here...
As long as that center also has a 'LW' to go along with the 'C' next to his name, you can play him at either position no problem. No penalties.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:27 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:

Newbie here...
No, but players have to be eligible to play for the position you put them in. For example, I have Shane Doan, and he is eligible for both the LW and RW position (if you look at him, it says "LW, RW") so I can play him in either position. But someone like Mikko Koivu is a C only, so I can only play him as a C.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:10 PM
sonticus
Blown Tire

Bleh. Quick got murdered today!

Old
01-19-2013, 11:27 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonticus View Post
At least you don't have Cory Schneider.

11.27 GAA, .643 sv%

awesome.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:36 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I've set the league to public so that the rest of the board can watch what's going on. Saves the trouble of posting each team's roster here for everyone to see and then having to keep track of them constantly through the season.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:15 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:57 AM
sonticus
Blown Tire

I'm curious, how come higher PIMS is better than lower? I am not complaining, I am genuinely curious.

This curiosity is only slightly related to the fact that my opponent (deekortiz3) has 25 PIMS in 2 days

Old
01-21-2013, 02:29 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I'm curious, how come higher PIMS is better than lower? I am not complaining, I am genuinely curious.

This curiosity is only slightly related to the fact that my opponent (deekortiz3) has 25 PIMS in 2 days
PIMs are used as a category to lend greater value to players who have a power-type game (power forwards or rugged, physical d-men) and for deep leagues to be able to get some use out of goons or other checking-line forwards who don't have traditional fantasy standout skills.

realistically, rewarding low PIM totals wouldn't have much purpose since the bulk of elite point-producing players are going to have fairly low PIM totals anyway (except for the aforementioned power players).

Since our league plays with up to 14 teams per division (and actually originated with 20 per) and uses rosters that are the equivalent of 3 full lines, it made sense to give some flexibility in choosing players for the later rounds (otherwise you'd just be scrambling to find the best maybe-20 goal or 30 assist scorer of the bunch) or to let people find some more value in the Milan Lucic/David Backes/Brendan Morrows (and to a slightly lesser extent, Ryane Clowes) of the NHL. It's the same reason we chose to count hits and blocks: because otherwise the pool of serviceable fantasy defencemen dwindles quickly and the late rounds are full of picking guys like the post-SJ Brad Stuarts of the world, where 20 points manages to be considered appropriate value for a late round flyer to fill out your required # of d-men.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:43 AM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
PIMs are used as a category to lend greater value to players who have a power-type game (power forwards or rugged, physical d-men) and for deep leagues to be able to get some use out of goons or other checking-line forwards who don't have traditional fantasy standout skills.

realistically, rewarding low PIM totals wouldn't have much purpose since the bulk of elite point-producing players are going to have fairly low PIM totals anyway (except for the aforementioned power players).

Since our league plays with up to 14 teams per division (and actually originated with 20 per) and uses rosters that are the equivalent of 3 full lines, it made sense to give some flexibility in choosing players for the later rounds (otherwise you'd just be scrambling to find the best maybe-20 goal or 30 assist scorer of the bunch) or to let people find some more value in the Milan Lucic/David Backes/Brendan Morrows (and to a slightly lesser extent, Ryane Clowes) of the NHL. It's the same reason we chose to count hits and blocks: because otherwise the pool of serviceable fantasy defencemen dwindles quickly and the late rounds are full of picking guys like the post-SJ Brad Stuarts of the world, where 20 points manages to be considered appropriate value for a late round flyer to fill out your required # of d-men.
That's exactly why I was planning on doing an elaborate spreadsheet using a bunch of statistical methods before this years draft. However, because of the lockout, their really wasn't much time to do that much research before the draft.

jwhitesj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:21 AM
sonticus
Blown Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post

Oh cool thanks, makes a lot of sense.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

So I drop Ginner in favor of Andy Mac since Benn is unsigned and Kesler is injured.

2 hours later Andy Mac gets hit in the face with a puck. He was supposed to start tomorrow.

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote