HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Visnovsky Drama Part III (Mod Warning Post #575)

Old
01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
I wouldn't want Vis playing games in the KHL anyway. He should be at home tending to his sick kid. The Islanders are doing him a favor by not giving him the option of playing for Slovan.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:21 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Vis (and you) just don't seem to understand. He is under contract to play in the NHL for the Isles. The Isles' season is now underway, so he should be in NY. The NHL and KHL (where Slovan plays) agree that the NHL contract should be honored and Vis cannot play in the KHL. He CAN'T play in the KHL. Period. Why is he even asking? By remaining at home he is either in violation of his NHL contract, or the Isles are allowing him to stay there because of the supposed family situation. THAT'S the accomodation. He can't then say, "well, since I'm here anyway, howsabout I play some games for the home team?"

The whole thing is absurd. It reeks of entitlement on Vis' part, which is even less appealing in someone making millions than it is in a regular person (although it's never appealing). And the arguments here making it sound like Vis is being reasonable and the Isles are being unreasonable are frustrating at best, when in fact it is Vis who is being unreasonable. He'll end up making over $30 million on his contract, and he has to honor it.
two things i noticed bout lubo:

1. if you give him your pinky finger, he will take the whole hand.

2. he isnt the sharpest tool in the shed.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:00 PM
19 Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
What's the difference between allowing someone to play 32 games for a different team in a season, and allowing him to play (say) 35 or 36 games? I'd say, next to no difference. Yes, injuries are always possible, but no one will get injured on purpose, least of all Višňovský who wants to help Slovan as much as he can. Forcing Višňovský to sit out even while you realize he can't play any games for the Islanders for the time being, amounts to pure egotism. Nothing more, nothing less.

Did you hear what the Washington Capitals owner said the other day? That he would allow Ovechkin to play in Sochi, no matter if the NHL officially permits it or not. That's putting the player's interest first, and one's own egotism second. Ovechkin would not only miss all of the Caps games, but he might get injured in Sochi, too. Does Leonsis forbid him to play for Russia because of that? Nope.
It's not egotism. It's called a contract. And the KHL and every other NHL (get it? NHL) player but Vis has agreed to honor their contractual commitments. The NHL season starts tonight. Vis is an Islander, not a Slovan or whatever.

I agree, what's the difference between 32 and 35 games? He played 32 - that is close to 35. He should consider that enough. Absent a lockout, he would have played none for Slovan, so he got a great deal. Once Vis is "permitted" to play in 2-3 more games, what's 2-3 more? or 6-7 more? or the playoffs?

I think I speak for most NHL fans that we don't give a rat's ass for the KHL. I couldn't name a KHL team.

As for his son, what is the illness that permits him to travel for the KHL but not to New York? That smells of BS. But that is what we get from this bum - a ton of BS.

I would toll his contract until he fulfills it by being in Long Island for a season. If he doesn't come, he never plays professional hockey again. If and when he decides to come, I would make him wear a suit for 4 months on the inactive list - coach's decision night after night. Who wants him on the ice? What effort is he going to bring? How will his teammates and fans react to him?

19 Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:02 PM
koyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
You're welcome. I hope they don't win another game.
On the other hand, I hope the Isles don't win a game until Vis joins them.

koyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:15 PM
19 Straight

How would this go over in your workplace:

Vis - hi boss. I'm here in Aruba and tomorrow is my last day of my two week vacation. I know I'm supposed to be back at work on Monday. But I'm having a really great time here and I figured you wouldn't mind if I stayed another week or two. I mean, what's another two weeks out of 52 in the year? I'll still be there most of the year. Besides, my son is looking a little peaked and another week in the sun will do him a world of good.

So, can I stay?

Old
01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
koyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 Straight View Post

Vis - hi boss. I'm here in Aruba and tomorrow is my last day of my two week vacation. I know I'm supposed to be back at work on Monday. But I'm having a really great time here and I figured you wouldn't mind if I stayed another week or two. I mean, what's another two weeks out of 52 in the year? I'll still be there most of the year. Besides, my son is looking a little peaked and another week in the sun will do him a world of good.

So, can I stay?
I actually don't know what the Isles said to Vis about him staying home for another two weeks. Does anyone know?

koyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Faterson

Quote:

So, can I stay?
Boss: "Sure, Vis, you can stay there as long as you like. And by the way, you're fired!"

Vis: "Oh, thanks so much, boss!"

So why aren't the Isles proceeding in this common-sense way?

Quote:
Vis is an Islander, not a Slovan or whatever.
The Slovak term is slovanista, plural slovanisti.

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:32 PM
19 Straight

Quote:
Boss: "Sure, Vis, you can stay there as long as you like. And by the way, you're fired!"

Letting him stay is NOT common sense.

The Islanders gave up value for him in a trade. When they get their picks back from Anaheim, then they can "fire" him. Because if they knew he wasn't going to play for them, they would have never made the trade and gone after someone else.

The bottom line is that Vis is being a complete ****. Vis signed a contract. Why can't you understand that concept and the concept that the Islanders gave up something to get him that they can't get back. He owes the Islanders his services for a full season under his NHL contract. After that, he can play for whatever team he wants, go fishing, take up figure skating, tour the world. Whatever. But until then, he has NO right to play ice hockey for anybody else but the Islanders and his contractual obligation started last week.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-19-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Edit
Old
01-19-2013, 03:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyo View Post
I actually don't know what the Isles said to Vis about him staying home for another two weeks. Does anyone know?
Snow hasn't made any public comments. Vis and his agent said Vis will be joining the isles in 2-3 weeks.

Newsday's beatwriter, seems to think Vis was suspended by the team as a technicality, to get the roster set. But, that the suspension will be lifted when Vis reports.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:47 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
Quote:
Forcing Višňovský to sit out even while you realize he can't play any games for the Islanders for the time being, amounts to pure egotism. Nothing more, nothing less.
The irony in this comment is overpowering.

Visnovsky has an NHL contract, which overrides his obligation to the KHL or any other second-rate league. If he's interested in playing back home, he probably shouldn't have signed a long-term NHL contract. Until that contract expires, he's Islander property and the team will take appropriate measures to protect their asset and make sure he honors his obligation. The feelings of Slovan fanboys will not be a consideration, nor should they be.

Thanks for visiting!

01-19-2013, 05:05 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:

That is the opposite of common sense. No team would give up a draft pick for someone and then let them play in a different league. That is an incredibly dumb thing to say.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Islander Prophet

Can this guy just join the team already, we need him on the D squad

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Tavaresfan91

need him to come...now

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:52 AM
tobu

Translation of what Visnovsky said in an online chat:

"The season will be very difficult. I have already printed out the schedule of the games. Looks to me just like a baseball season. The travel between the games will be tough, especially for older players. They won't have much time for regeneration and that will lead to injuries. I myself am not the youngest either. Honestly - I would be the happiest if I could finish the season in Slovan, but given the fact that this possibility has been denied, I'm actually looking forward to playing hockey for Islanders. But I do know that the crowd and the atmosphere won't be the same as here. I'm afraid how they will receive and welcome me after what has happened in the media."

I guess he'll be in New York by the end of the month.

tobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:24 AM
okie21

If Vis is worried about how the fans will react to him then I suggest he gets his butt on a plane and joins the team Thursday in Toronto. That will be the first of 5 straight road games. Get in an Islander jersey, play really well on the road and by the time they get back home, so long as Vis has had a positive impact on the team, a lot will be forgiven quickly.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:46 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

So with Viz, hopefully this is our defense:

Streit - Martinek
MacDonald - Hamonic
Carkner - Visnovsky
Hickey, Strait

Finley (Minors)

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
If Vis is worried about how the fans will react to him then I suggest he gets his butt on a plane and joins the team Thursday in Toronto. That will be the first of 5 straight road games. Get in an Islander jersey, play really well on the road and by the time they get back home, so long as Vis has had a positive impact on the team, a lot will be forgiven quickly.
Completely agree. If he plays well on the road at his first home game he will be cheered.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
IslesNorway

If he was worried about the fans reaction then he shouldn't have made all this stink in the first place.

But thanks for the update anyway!

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

"I'm afraid how they will receive and welcome me after what has happened in the media."

It's a little late for that sentiment now.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Hipietro

Quote:
Agreed, this would be the best for him. If he debuts at home he's going to be ripped apart.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:39 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
I agree 110%. Same thing happened with Nabby, people forgot awfully quick what transpired with Nabby when the guy stood on hi head for us. Next thing we know the guy inks on to stay another year and the rest was history.

People forget the past when you start winning in the present.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:00 AM
redbull
Expect more

Visnovsky's a good player, he'll be boo'd for a shift. And then it's over.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
His current situation is a combination of several factors. 3 of them stand out, and none of them should be underestimated:
  • his family issues (son's illness, etc.)
  • his passion to play for Slovan
  • his grudge against the NHL as such (not against the Isles!), due to never being allowed to make use of the no-trade clause he had signed
None of that matters.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
None of that matters.
Come again? All of that matters, and greatly. It explains why Višňovský isn't on Long Island yet. To say "none of that matters", is both selfish and ignorant. Why would you refuse to accept reality?

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Come again? All of that matters, and greatly. It explains why Višňovský isn't on Long Island yet. To say "none of that matters", is both selfish and ignorant. Why would you refuse to accept reality?
Please quit. The only one who is selfish and arrogant is Visnovsky. And when it comes to accepting reality you are the last person on here to do so as has been spelled out numerous times.

You can enjoy him playing for Slovan again NEXT SEASON after he has fulfilled his part of the contract that has earned him a living for the past five years.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote