Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2013 Australian Open

Old
01-21-2013, 02:13 AM
kihei

vCash: 2102
After Gilles' break, the set has really slipped away fast for him....and it's gone, 6-1. Minus the one lapse, Andy was very sharp this set. Gilles game, I don't know what to call it, maybe "hazy."

Third set: Andy up a break 2-1 put on a bit of a show in that game, looks very relaxed and why not?

Last edited by kihei: 01-21-2013 at 02:27 AM.
kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

vCash: 500
Awards:
Simon has basically packed it in. Really bad miss at net.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:44 AM
kihei

Curious, almost conspirational ending to the match. Well, Andy should have a lot of gas left in the tank after that one.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:50 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

vCash: 1271
Poor effort from Gilles. Clearly the last match took everything out of him. Second straight year here where Murray looked at first to to have a much more difficult path to the semis than it actually turned out to be.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:51 AM
kihei

Just make it quick Serena....and first set in under a half hour. So far, so good. Quite the hair--Serena seems to have adopted the Don King "bad ass" look; robins could be nesting in it and we'd never know.

Last edited by kihei: 01-21-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 03:13 AM
17futurecap

I definitely don't watch as much women's tennis compared to the men, but I will be sitting down and watching if the semi finals are Serena and Azarenka and Sharapova and Aga. Even Li Na/Sharapova would be solid, just hoping for Aga since she is playing so well this month.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:24 AM
GQS

Poor Maria. Its like she's being put out in front of a firing squad and being executed.

This is why women's tennis is so damn boring most of the time as it seems like 95% of the matches are either blowouts or chokefests. We've already had several great men's matches even from the early rounds, but with the women's side you'd be lucky to get even one exciting match a grandslam.

Not one match in the Aussie Open has been very exciting or drama filled and I'm sure that trend will continue at the French, Wimbledon and the USO too.

GQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:30 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQS View Post
Poor Maria. Its like she's being put out in front of a firing squad and being executed.

This is why women's tennis is so damn boring most of the time as it seems like 95% of the matches are either blowouts or chokefests. We've already had several great men's matches even from the early rounds, but with the women's side you'd be lucky to get even one exciting match a grandslam.

Not one match in the Aussie Open has been very exciting or drama filled and I'm sure that trend will continue at the French, Wimbledon and the USO too.
Nothing wrong with a chokefest, I don't find that boring at all

Stosur's match v. Zheng in R2 was a good one. There have been a few good matches, but there was never much of a chance of Sharapova nor Serena having a good match in those sections.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:38 AM
kihei

Quote:

Sounds like Kuznetsova/Wozniak must have had its moments. Besides, 2010 and 2011 were filled with exciting women's matches in Grand Slams, so let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

And thank you, Serena, for taking less than an hour to get off the court.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:41 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Meanwhile at Wimbledon:

Old
01-21-2013, 03:52 AM
GQS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Nothing wrong with a chokefest, I don't find that boring at all

Stosur's match v. Zheng in R2 was a good one. There have been a few good matches, but there was never much of a chance of Sharapova nor Serena having a good match in those sections.
Stosur/Zheng was a complete Stosur meltdown in the 3rd. She was up 5-2 on Zheng before giving the lead away and losing ona double fault. I wouldn't call that a good match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Sounds like Kuznetsova/Wozniak must have had its moments. Besides, 2010 and 2011 were filled with exciting women's matches in Grand Slams, so let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.
Good women's matches in grand slams? Really? Can you name any from the last 5 years that have come anywhere close to what we have seen from the men's side from this Aussie Open ALONE?? I sure as hell can't.

And even worse 9 out of 10 times you're most likely going to get a STINKER of a GS finals match compared to the men's side which has produced historic and EPIC GS finals in the last few years.

Its just ashame these days that in women's tennis if you don't have the physical strength and height to compete your chances of winning a grandslam title is extremely small because you'd have to play near perfect tennis otherwise to try and make up that huge disadvantage. Or else you hope that your opponent plays well under the level they're capable of and you sneak in a win.

GQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Well the same story on break points continues for Fed. He has been really sharp off the ground so far though, which is promising.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:20 AM
kihei

Quote:
Stosur/Zheng was a complete Stosur meltdown in the 3rd. She was up 5-2 on Zheng before giving the lead away and losing ona double fault. I wouldn't call that a good match.

Good women's matches in grand slams? Really? Can you name any from the last 5 years that have come anywhere close to what we have seen from the men's side from this Aussie Open ALONE?? I sure as hell can't.

And even worse 9 out of 10 times you're most likely going to get a STINKER of a GS finals match compared to the men's side which has produced historic and EPIC GS finals in the last few years.

Its just ashame these days that in women's tennis if you don't have the physical strength and height to compete your chances of winning a grandslam title is extremely small because you'd have to play near perfect tennis otherwise to try and make up that huge disadvantage. Or else you hope that your opponent plays well under the level they're capable of and you sneak in a win.
Some quick examples from 2010 alone:

Schiavone over Stosur in the French Finals
Stosur over Serena n the French Quarterfinals
Clijsters over V Williams in the US Semis
Li over V Williams in the Aussie Quarters

You must not like women's tennis is the conclusion that I would draw from your comments.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:22 AM
kihei

4-4 and fun so far...and it is over all of a sudden. A double fault at 30 all, then a good block backhand return of a Raonic first serve followed by some solid defense from Roger net him the set. Precise tennis from Roger with only a single unforced error.

Promising start to set two, though Roger looks like quite the handful today.

Last edited by kihei: 01-21-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

Good set. It has been a while since I've seen Fed play so cleanly faced with so much pace in his return games. His anticipation has seemed superb even by his standards. Lost two points in five service games.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:56 AM
kihei

Federer is serving beautifully this set, and Raonic, though making far more mistakes off the ground, is following suit....tie breaker; even with the errors, I'm more impressed with Milos tonight than I have been in quite a while. He's really swinging away....but a picture perfect tie breaker from Roger gives him the set...Roger has lost only four points on serve the whole match, and has a 21/4 winner/unforced error ratio. The only slight glimmer for Milos is that Roger was having more trouble putting Raonic's serve in play that set. Slim comfort, though.

Last edited by kihei: 01-21-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

The result of that tiebreak was never in doubt. Federer is just so precise tonight. Got both minibreaks on passing shots. 7-4.

The announcers said just before the tiebreak that Milos had won only 6 of 39 points from the baseline.

And he gets broken at love to open the third set. That should just about do it.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:17 AM
kihei

Well, that should be the ball game...and a clearly frustrated Raonic coughs up a second break....Roger's service games have lost some potency but he's still sailing in the set, 5-2...and an easy hold wraps it up.

Impressive.

Last edited by kihei: 01-21-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 05:49 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

A bit sloppier that set from both guys, but still a good night for Roger.

Gotta love Courier's interviews.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:56 AM
kihei

It's hard to be too critical of Milos tonight, given how in the zone Roger was. The unforced errors now seem a given, a part of the package no longer worth complaining about. Increasingly, though, his limitations as a player seem fixed, permanent, like he just doesn't have the natural resources to make them go away.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

I think Milos should consider experimenting with his racquet. Look for something with a bigger sweet spot. Unlike Ms. Woof, I don't think Blanco is his most pressing concern. If anything, he played too aggressively tonight.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Well not even close. Have to wait for that breakthrough to finally happen in a slam.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:25 AM
MsWoof

Do you guys ever sleep? I set the alarm for 6 but checked my BlackBerry a couple of times and saw it started a lot earlier. Kept dreaming about it but the match was closer than it was in my dreams! I'm glad Roger had a pretty easy time of it for his sake, does he play Tsonga next? Then Murray (potentially)? I PVR'd the match and will watch later.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:48 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 1050
EDIT: I'm an idiot, delete this post

TheNeutrality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

I like that stat how Federer has never lost a match to player born in the 1990s.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote