HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Andersson Appreciation Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 06:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Don't get to attached Lehner is the goalie of the future regardless of how Andy plays
Lol, doesn't mean we can disregard everything Andersson has done for this team last year and possibly this year. We've never had amazing goaltending so we should throw away the accomplishments of someone who has given us stability and consistency in net for the first time in long-time/forever?

Plus, Andersson has 2 more years, he could definitely be our number 1 or 1A next year.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I agree Andersson is our MVP. I'm really disgusted by everyone pushing for Lehner to start when we have a veteran who played his heart out for us last year and is under contract for two more seasons. The last thing I'd want is some kid between the pipes. I got nothing wrong with him splitting time w/ Lehner in his 4th season but for right now he's our #1. And frankly if he plays well enough that we either get deep or win the cup I don't see a reason to send him packing.
Anderson is the #1, there is no question about that, he was our best player yesterday against the Jets. What I am saying though is that I think Murray will move Bishop to make room for Lehner at some point this yr. My guess is that Bishop will not want to resign with Ottawa knowing that Lehner is the future #1 in Ottawa & he may not get his shot, although circumstances can change very quickly in the NHL.

I also doubt Lehner can beat out Anderson this yr, but eventually & when that happens I hope they keep Anderson as Lehner's backup. A good smart veteran to take over in games when Lehner is not at his best & will settle things down. Two good goalies for yrs to come is what I hope will happen in Ottawa.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:42 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Andy stops us from losing, which allows Ek/Spezza to win for us.
That's a good way to put it. I still firmly believe Anderson was the team MVP last year. He's the Sens most underrated player by the fanbase and probably one of the more underrated players in the league.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
That's a good way to put it. I still firmly believe Anderson was the team MVP last year. He's the Sens most underrated player by the fanbase and probably one of the more underrated players in the league.
That is a good way to put it. Glad people see the value of our otherwise underrated goaltender. That's not to discount anything spezza or karlsson or alfie or anyone else does, just that this guy is right up there. (and in my opinion a little above)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:00 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

vCash: 611
Quote:
Don't get to attached Lehner is the goalie of the future regardless of how Andy plays
I despise this line of thinking. Just because we drafted him, Lehner automatically gets preferential treatment? So even if Anderson turns into the second coming of Patrick Roy, it's still Lehner's job to lose?

01-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

It amazes me how people still consider Anderson average at best.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Deleted

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:51 PM
TSA0402

I was waiting for this. If not for Anderson, we don't make the playoffs last year, and we lose to Winnipeg first game.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:05 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
I despise this line of thinking. Just because we drafted him, Lehner automatically gets preferential treatment? So even if Anderson turns into the second coming of Patrick Roy, it's still Lehner's job to lose?
Not just because we drafted him, but because he has been excellent at all levels, and is still 3 or 4 years from when most goalies become a starter. Anderson has been great for us, but has only been here a year and a quarter. If you look at the rest of his career he is inconsistent. Go ask the Avs board what they think of Anderson. We should stay the course on the rebuild, and not change our plans, and end up having the guy playing the most important position be in his mid 30s and starting to decline as our time as a contender just starts

Nobody is saying Lehner should have been the starter last year, but he is still much more valuable to us then Anderson

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

Quote:
Not just because we drafted him, but because he has been excellent at all levels, and is still 3 or 4 years from when most goalies become a starter. Anderson has been great for us, but has only been here a year and a quarter. If you look at the rest of his career he is inconsistent. Go ask the Avs board what they think of Anderson. We should stay the course on the rebuild, and not change our plans, and end up having the guy playing the most important position be in his mid 30s and starting to decline as our time as a contender just starts
The past isn't relevant. If Anderson's good with us, I see no reason why he shouldn't remain our starter. We finally have a goalie who can steal us games, and people are already eager to run him out of town.

hockeyalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:12 PM
11Alfredsson

vCash: 920
If you want to show him some respect start spelling his last name right.

11Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:13 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
The past isn't relevant. If Anderson's good with us, I see no reason why he shouldn't remain our starter. We finally have a goalie who can steal us games, and people are already eager to run him out of town.
I never said Andy isn't the starter right now, I just said that the future is Lehner's. Also to say the past is irrelevant is ridiculous. If the past was irrelevant then why not go out and sign Gilroy with the logic "he was bad before, but that was the past. Who knows what he could do in the future. Now that is an extreme example, but the point is that the past is relevant.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:14 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

Quote:
I never said Andy isn't the starter right now, I just said that the future is Lehner's. Also to say the past is irrelevant is ridiculous. If the past was irrelevant then why not go out and sign Gilroy with the logic "he was bad before, but that was the past. Who knows what he could do in the future. Now that is an extreme example, but the point is that the past is relevant.
Reductio ad absurdum. Look it up. Gilroy has never been efficient in the role we were hoping he would fill. Anderson is currently good in the job we ask him to do. Lehner has had a handful of games. I like him as much as the next guy, but he should not get the job until he can regularly outperform Anderson.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:15 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
If you want to show him some respect start spelling his last name right.
That's how he used to spell his name because he loved Sweden so much but the NHL told him he had to use the name on his drivers license or something like that.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=108794

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:18 PM
hockeyalltheway
You can't do that!

Relevant bit from The Hockey News:

Old
01-20-2013, 09:19 PM
11Alfredsson

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
That's how he used to spell his name because he loved Sweden so much but the NHL told him he had to use the name on his drivers license or something like that.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=108794
Quote:
Relevant bit from The Hockey News:

Never knew that. Carry on

11Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:25 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Reductio ad absurdum. Look it up. Gilroy has never been efficient in the role we were hoping he would fill. Anderson is currently good in the job we ask him to do. Lehner has had a handful of games. I like him as much as the next guy, but he should not get the job until he can regularly outperform Anderson.
I never said that Lehner is ready to be the starter. All I said that in the future he will be. And regardless of Anderson's performance he is still just here to do what he was brought in to do, hold the fort until Lehner is ready.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
And regardless of Anderson's performance he is still just here to do what he was brought in to do, hold the fort until Lehner is ready.
Anderson is here to be better until Lehner becomes better than him. The former is true, the latter is not yet true. Anderson is the now and future until he's overtaken by Lehner.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:48 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Nobody is saying Lehner should have been the starter last year, but he is still much more valuable to us then Anderson
Lol, Anderson is anything BUT inconsistent. Yea, go talk to the fanbase who's team finished 2nd last in the league that year. All Anderson's fault. In his last 9 years in the NHL, Anderson hasn't played a season where his sv% has been lower than .913 and a GAA higher than 2.84(Which was last year for us) Now that is consistent.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I agree Andersson is our MVP. I'm really disgusted by everyone pushing for Lehner to start when we have a veteran who played his heart out for us last year and is under contract for two more seasons. The last thing I'd want is some kid between the pipes. I got nothing wrong with him splitting time w/ Lehner in his 4th season but for right now he's our #1. And frankly if he plays well enough that we either get deep or win the cup I don't see a reason to send him packing.
I completely agree.

I think Andy is a little underrated around here (and in general). Especially after watching ALOT of hockey yesturday. Andy was among a very few select goalies who looked solid.

I think it would be AWFUL to have Andy traded. I think Lehner needs to play in the AHL now. Then after this year we can give him a shot up in the big leagues, and from my understanding, Lehner has been told that is how things are going to be going.

Andy and Bishop this year, Andy Lehner next, and then Lehner-Andy after that.

And I can honestly say, without Andy last year. We don't make the playoffs. If you keep Karlsson and Spezza, and take out Andy. I doubt we make the playoffs. And with out Andy, our playoff performance would have been horrific.

(I'm not trying to diminish Karlsson or Spezza, as I think they are a huge reason why we made it as far as we did as well, but Andy is JUST as important as the other two). Basically Andy, Karlsson, Spezza are the reasons the Sens had far more success last season than predicted. Take out any one of those pieces, and Sens don't go as far as they did.

Andy deserves WAY more appreciation than he gets. I'm not saying he's made highlight saves consistently. But he makes LOTS of saves and is CONSISTENT. He allows our team a CHANCE to win. Without him, I see us having barely any chance. In many many many games last year, I saw Andy being great in the 1st-2nd period, keeping the game close, and allowing our offense to come out in the third. Similar to last night.

So glad we traded for him. And he will be an incredible mentor for Lehner down the road.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Anderson has done everything he's been asked to do since arriving in Ottawa.

He's given the Senators a chance to compete in nearly every game that he plays.

What's nice is that he comes up with big stops at key points in the game, like when the game was 1-1, and Ottawa was under significant pressure.
He definitely started off better than he did last season and looked to be much more into the game than his first few last season.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Rumcajs

spelling error in title. Just one S....

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:14 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
spelling error in title. Just one S....
No error, it was intentional (post #40)

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:52 AM
OgieO

I was really impressed. Too soon to make conclusions, but to me his game looked better than last year (and I thought he was really good last year). He made some hard saves look easy. It looks like he put in some solid work in the offseason, hopefully my snap judgement is accurate. He looked fantastic.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:21 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Anderson is here to be better until Lehner becomes better than him. The former is true, the latter is not yet true. Anderson is the now and future until he's overtaken by Lehner.
lehner is just here until the next goalie gets here as well. lehner will be the future's present and the future's future, until that next guy comes in. don't get too attached.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote