HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
There is no reason to rush to conclusions yet.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:05 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Hey, I'm pleased with his play as a 3rd line centre as well. I just don't get the prevailing opinion that he absolutely cannot play the wing based on the few games he has actually played that position.

I could think of far worse things than having a 6'2" 220lbs 2nd line playmaking winger, which Eller most definitely can become if given the opportunity. Not saying he should be a winger or he should be a centre, but saying that he absolutely CANNOT play wing is being closed minded. He definitely has the ability to do so.
Fair enough, I'll retract the "absolutely" or "unbelievabad," part of my post. I just didn't like what I saw when he did....

...that was a while ago, though.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:49 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
There is no reason to rush to conclusions yet.
I'm sorry, this is the Hockey Future boards. Rushing to conclusions is part of your diet.

I liked his play. First game, first shifts. Had a great wrist shot that I'd love to see a bit closer to the net. He should finish the year in the best place for a player to learn the NHL: The National Hockey League.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Passchendaele

THN's 2007 Draft Preview had Eller as a LW.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
THN's 2007 Draft Preview had Eller as a LW.
They probably had Gorges listed as the captain of the Kelowna Rockets at some point... don't believe them !

Old
01-21-2013, 09:02 AM
pitcher

Omg, Gally didn't scored in his first NHL game, so we should totally send him back to Sarnia. Same for Yakupov... he finished his first game with 0 points and -2, they should send him back to the KHL, no question asked.

/sarcasm off

Gally wasn't looking out of place on the ice. When he had the puck he was actually looking pretty good. The whole Mtl team played like **** other than Price, did you expected the kid to deke everyone and score 2 goals without the help of his line mates? The passes were off, there was no cohesion in Mtl play saturday, and when you think about it it was predictable, when you consider that it was the first game of the year in January, and also considering that we don't have a team of allstars.

Let Gally play his 5 games, and if he doesn't look out of place, and if Therrien is ready to give him ice time, then they will keep him, and they have to keep him. He will learn a lot more playing on a 2nd and even 3rd line in the NHL than rapping kids in the OHL.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:09 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Hopefully he stays up this year and doesn't do much in the next two years after so we can sign him cheap on his bridge contract.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:15 AM
FrankMTL

Galchenyuk played ok his first game. He had a few nice flashes where you saw his talent but at the end of the day, he doesn't look ready for this level. He has to be able to knock people off the puck or win puck battles in the corner. He can't always rely on people getting the puck and passing it to him. He'll probably look better the next couple of games, but will be sent down after. There's no harm with that...this team probably won't make the playoffs regardless if he's there or not...It's not worth it to burn a year off his rookie contract for that.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:32 AM
That

I don't get why some are so against sending Galchenyuk back down to Sarnia. What's there to lose? Maybe it's because I watch more OHL than I do NHL, but I think he still could learn a lot in Sarnia.

If he does get sent back down, he'll take back knowing how to prepare for the next season. He'll understand how fast the game is and how important it is to be consistently involved in your own zone. So hopefully he'll make the necessary adjustments to his game.

Also, he played fine in his first game. If he looked out of place, than nearly every player on this team did too.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:42 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Hopefully he stays up this year and doesn't do much in the next two years after so we can sign him cheap on his bridge contract.
Touché!

Is it just me or does Gally look very nervous and just gets rid of the puck immediately when he gets it? Even when they interview him, he seems to just repeat the same answers very uncomfortably.

Some kids that age ooze confidence to a point where it seems like arrogance (like PK) but I don't see that with him. In a way, it's a good thing because he seems like such a good kid but it's also concerning because you need that borderline arrogance to be a great player. Hopefully, he's just the type of person who needs to hang out with people for a while before he gets comfortable.

Not sure what it mean in terms of his development. It scares me to think that I get the same feeling every time they interview Leblanc.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:49 AM
ROSSter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Touché!

Is it just me or does Gally look very nervous and just gets rid of the puck immediately when he gets it? Even when they interview him, he seems to just repeat the same answers very uncomfortably.

Some kids that age ooze confidence to a point where it seems like arrogance (like PK) but I don't see that with him. In a way, it's a good thing because he seems like such a good kid but it's also concerning because you need that borderline arrogance to be a great player. Hopefully, he's just the type of person who needs to hang out with people for a while before he gets comfortable.

Not sure what it mean in terms of his development. It scares me to think that I get the same feeling every time they interview Leblanc.
The kid is 18 and was playing his first NHL game infront of 21,000 of the most intimidating hockey fans on the planet. I'd give the kid a break.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:54 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSter View Post
The kid is 18 and was playing his first NHL game infront of 21,000 of the most intimidating hockey fans on the planet. I'd give the kid a break.
I realize that, of course. Just makes me appreciate PK and Price more because they're able to handle extreme pressure and just say "chill out!" to their critics.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I don't get why some are so against sending Galchenyuk back down to Sarnia. What's there to lose? Maybe it's because I watch more OHL than I do NHL, but I think he still could learn a lot in Sarnia.
Posters here seem to be underestimating just how good of a league the OHL is this year, especially the Conference Sarnia is in, which has a bunch of good teams in it. When 19 year old prospects like Jenner and Strome - 2 players who have had several dominant OHL stretches this year just like Gally - were sent back by teams that generally rush prospects, you would have to think Gally could gain something by going back too.

So far after a few minutes of practice today Galchenyuk is not in the PP drills and is on the 3rd line...

Old
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Already same **** as last year, Galchenyuk was the only guy shooting last game and he's already taken off of our powerplay.

Still don't get how Emelin doesn't even get tried on the powerplay meanwhile a guy who has FIVE powerplay points in the last five years gets powerplay time.. Emelin at least has vision/passing skills and has a good shot.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
shutehinside

I don't think we should send Gally down this year becausae of his performance in game #1. In fact, I think he played fairly well givent he team sucked balls. I would give the full 5 game look.

That being said, even if he plays really well, if we have a losing record during that time, I'd send him down to dominate in the OHL rather than be on a sucky team in the NHL. I just feel that him going to the O and dominating and competing in the playoffs will be a good experience for him and will give him more confidence when coming into camp next year.

I'd rather have an older, more mature BGally play in the NHL in the meantime and bring in more AHL players if our year really goea to hell such as Tinordi, Beaulieu etc...

Even though I'm not a "tanker" per se, our team isn't likely going to make the playoffs and would benefit from getting our younger players some NHL experience and work on getting a top 5 pick. I hope for more but it's hard to see in such a short season with a new coach, new systems and so much competition.

Look forward to the trade deadline and July 1st. I have a feeling a full overhaul may begin if the wheels fall off in the first 20 games.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:26 AM
HomaridII

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Galchenyuk pratique au centre de Gallagher et Prust. Et Eller n'est pas sur un trio régulier.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:32 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
Galchenyuk pratique au centre de Gallagher et Prust. Et Eller n'est pas sur un trio régulier.
Well that's a weird experiment....I'm sure he's just trying things out but maybe also sending Eller a message.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:36 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Touché!

PK did not come here and play with us as a kid who just turned 18yrs old..

Let's see where Galchenyuk is 2 years from now.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:36 AM
HabsPassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Well that's a weird experiment....I'm sure he's just trying things out but maybe also sending Eller a message.
Someone should send himself a message... So far hes done what we asked Coaches not to do.

Plekanec did not have stable line-mates all season, and Therrien spoke about that. After 3 full days of training camp/practice & 2 periods, hes already had a line mate changed.... Then why did you keep Gally there during the training camp??

Old
01-21-2013, 10:40 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
PK did not come here and play with us as a kid who just turned 18yrs old..

Let's see where Galchenyuk is 2 years from now.
PK Subban was not picked third overall, there are different expectations from a third overall pick, both from fans and the pick himself.

I expect Galchenyuk to be on this team full-time next season, am on the fence about this one.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Ginu

Gally's insulated on the left wing on the second line. He'll grow into it and find his feet. As long as there's no drama around the team and it's not a negative situation for him to be up here, he can only grow with the experience. After last season's 15th place finish, I don't think there's any pressure on him. He'll be fine.

Just remember Seguin's first year. He had 22 points in 74 games. We don't need Gally to be a God this year. Patience.

Old
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
PK Subban was not picked third overall, there are different expectations from a third overall pick, both from fans and the pick himself.

I expect Galchenyuk to be on this team full-time next season, am on the fence about this one.
On the fence regarding what?

Old
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post

He probably will be on the team full time next season.

But what exactly are we judging right now... 1 game, and his.. interview style?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
DenverHabsFan

It does seem weird to already be shuffling lines since MT always complained about the Habs doing that in the past.

I thought Gally did good in the 3rd. If you watch that period again, I counted at least two occasions where he was wide open on the right side. He timed it perfectly to get a pass but our D's kept fumbling at the blue line.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
On the fence regarding what?
He thinks we should have drafted Morgan Reilly.

Closed Thread