HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sam Gagner to NYR

Old
01-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

vCash: 500
Sam Gagner to NYR

Gagner would be an upgrade at 3C and could contribute on the PP. Skjei maybe? LH TWD, great skater and good hockey sense, can play in all situations. Only 1 or 2 years away from the NHL. Looked great in the Gophers-ND games.

Rangers would need to add, maybe 2014 1st, Skjei? We don't have a first for 2 years but the prospect cupboards look decent right now.

How's the value?

Last edited by Kris Chreider: 01-21-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Gagner would be an upgrade at 3C and could contribute on the PP. Skjei maybe? LH TWD, great skater and good hockey sense, can play in all situations. Only 1 or 2 years away from the NHL. Looked great in the Gophers-ND games.

How's the value?
Not even close.

Despite what the masses on here say, 23 year old centers who start their careers with 5 consecutive 40+ point seasons while progressing in terms of faceoffs, defensive and physical play do not get traded for what would amount to our 5th or 6th best defensive prospect. Not to mention we have a very big need for Sam Gagner, it's not like he is a spare part here.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
The Oilers have no reason to move Gagner unless they have an upgrade.

Not even close with Skjei .

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Why do we want a one-dimensional center on our 3rd line exactly?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'm not the biggest fan of Gagner, but I wouldn't move him unless we get a big, rugged 2nd line center in return or have another trade line-up that would accomplish that.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Why do we want a one-dimensional center on our 3rd line exactly?
Not the case.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Think about what you would want for Stepan, in my mind Gagner and Stepan are very close in terms of value. Although if one were to have a bit more it'd be Stepan.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Think about what you would want for Stepan, in my mind Gagner and Stepan are very close in terms of value. Although if one were to have a bit more it'd be Stepan.
Stepan>>Gagner. Stepan hasn't used up his potential yet, he could easily net 60 points next full season with Gaborik, and he is consistent.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Except Stepan has already eclipsed Gagners best season in his second year, and he's one of our primary penalty killers up front. Gagner is so far just another guy who is perpetually "going to break out this year" and never does.

There's a reason Edmonton fans have been trying to trade this guy for the last 3 years, and it's not because his value is on par with Stepan's.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:33 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Stepan>>Gagner. Stepan hasn't used up his potential yet, he could easily net 60 points next full season with Gaborik, and he is consistent.
So Gagner who is 10 months older has used up all his potential? On top of that Gagner has never played with a talent like Gaborik. If he had im sure he has a higher point total. Gagner gets crapped on to much around here IMO.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Except Stepan has already eclipsed Gagners best season in his second year, and he's one of our primary penalty killers up front. Gagner is so far just another guy who is perpetually "going to break out this year" and never does.

There's a reason Edmonton fans have been trying to trade this guy for the last 3 years, and it's not because his value is on par with Stepan's.
Edmonton fans want to trade every player who doesn't have PPG pace. I'm sure you'll tell me Hemsky's useless to because Edmonton fans have been trying to trade him for years. Edmonton is a blue collar town so they fall in love with guys like Ryan Jones and run guys like Gagner and Hemsky out of town. Been happening for years.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Quote:
So Gagner who is 10 months older has used up all his potential? On top of that Gagner has never played with a talent like Gaborik. If he had im sure he has a higher point total. Gagner gets crapped on to much around here IMO.
Hall and Eberle combined are better linemates than Dubinsky+Gaborik on Stepan's wings.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
joestevens29

Something around Brian Boyle would get me interested.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

2014 first and Skjei? Two firsts for Gagner?

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If Edmonton hopes to make the playoffs they can't afford to sacrifice depth in net, at center or on the blueline.

This isn't supposed to be a tank year.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:00 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Hall and Eberle combined are better linemates than Dubinsky+Gaborik on Stepan's wings.
Gaborik can take over a game, Hall and Eberle aren't at that level yet. Also Horcoff and RNH played with them more then Gagner.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Panic!!!!!!!

01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Edmonton isn't moving him for what we would offer.

Simple as that.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Edmonton fans want to trade every player who doesn't have PPG pace. I'm sure you'll tell me Hemsky's useless to because Edmonton fans have been trying to trade him for years. Edmonton is a blue collar town so they fall in love with guys like Ryan Jones and run guys like Gagner and Hemsky out of town. Been happening for years.
The opinion of Edmonton fans is supplementary to the point I made. Hemsky is useless because he can't stay healthy. He's an incredibly skilled player that was shoppable to other teams in order for Edmonton to get more pieces for their rebuild. Gagner, on the other hand, is a 23 year old player who just hasn't lived up to the hype that surrounded him. You would think that if he was all that valuable, he'd be a building block, not a piece of trade bait.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Stormcrow

Moving Gagner would put a giant hole in the Oilers lineup. Unless another center is coming back, this will never happen. Besides Gagner is the only guy who is good at faceoffs for the Oilers.

Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:12 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
The opinion of Edmonton fans is supplementary to the point I made. Hemsky is useless because he can't stay healthy. He's an incredibly skilled player that was shoppable to other teams in order for Edmonton to get more pieces for their rebuild. Gagner, on the other hand, is a 23 year old player who just hasn't lived up to the hype that surrounded him. You would think that if he was all that valuable, he'd be a building block, not a piece of trade bait.
He's only available because him and RNH play a similar type game. I don't think anyone wants to trade him unless we're getting a bigger more defensive minded 2nd line center coming back (ex:Hanzal) or a top 4 d man.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
It has more to do with certain vocal and desperate Oil fans being simultaneously convinced that Gagner - despite being a fairly capable player - is somehow Not The Answer at #2C simply because he's not a superstar, yet at the same time he should count as a quality #2C in trade exchanges and thus fetch back a guy who's a future #1C (and so is perfect for an Oil #2C) because all Oilers are great or something and other teams are run by losers.
Also, the price for Ryan Johansen is still Jordan Eberle.

Basically, that's the crazy subset. Don't pay attention to the crazy subset. They'll make you crazy. There's plenty of reasonable Oil fans out there, but they tend mostly to hide when the crazies come out because otherwise they get caught in the crossfire.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:36 AM
dkny1121*

Nah, Would rather keep Gagner. He looks great so far this year and looks in great shape. I think he will have a really nice year playing with Hemsky and Yak on the second line.

dkny1121* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:40 AM
oilwings

I would trade Gagner for Stephan without much thinking. I would even add to Gagner to have it done.

Gagner + 2nd for Stephan

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
I would trade Gagner for Stepan without much thinking. I would even add to Gagner to have it done.

Gagner + 2nd for Stephan
The point of this thread is to have Gagner as NYR's 3C. Never mind that Stepan>>Gagner, and the difference isn't a 2nd. Only deal I would take is Gagner and J Schultz for Stepan++.