HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames season opener! San Jose Sharks @ Calgary Flames, 4:00PM on SNET-W and Fan 960

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2013, 10:51 AM
  #401
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST
 
YMCMBYOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,317
vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
^^ That is why I suggested giving Arnott a look, but some moves would need to be made to fit him in. I wouldn't expect him to come in and score 50pts, but his presence in other areas would really help this team IMO.

Tangs Arnott Iggy
Baertschi Backlund Cammy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Stempniak Stajan Comeau

That at least gives us 2 good FO guys and we could roll 4 lines no problem.
As good as Arnott is in the FO circle, I can't see him keeping up with the other team and with Tangs+Iggy (as you suggested). I wouldn't mind him in a 3rd/4th line position, though.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
  #402
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,406
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Baertschi - Backlund - Iginla
Tanguay - Cammalleri - Glencross
Comeau - Stajan - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Obvious shuffling when Hudler/Cervenka return, but I'd like to see this. Iginla played better last season when he was on a line with Sven. Having two quicker guys in Sven and Backlund play with Iggy might get him going faster too.

Move Cammalleri back to center. It's not pretty but it's better than Tanguay. Tanguay is a great winger and we need to utilize that.
I think these lines are worth a shot. I like it because it gets GlenX off the top line. He is a great player but he really suffers against other teams top lines...

The only issue with those lines I see is a big question mark, if Backlund and Bart can both handle top line duty. They looked great together last night and I think Backlund should be tried with Iggy again, I am not sure Bart is ready though so I might swap Tanguay and Bart, even though they had great chemistry.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
  #403
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
You hate my idea but you just benched last nights best Flame?
Stemps may have scored but he wasn't the best forward. Outside of his goal he wasn't that noticeable Baertschi,Backlund, and Tanguay stood out way more.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:45 AM
  #404
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST
 
YMCMBYOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,317
vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Stemps may have scored but he wasn't the best forward. Outside of his goal he wasn't that noticeable Baertschi,Backlund, and Tanguay stood out way more.
Stempniak only played good in the first period really.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:53 AM
  #405
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Stempniak only played good in the first period really.
To be fair so did everyone

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:54 AM
  #406
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST
 
YMCMBYOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,317
vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
To be fair so did everyone
I thought that the Flames played well in the 3rd period, it was hte 2nd period that killed it.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
  #407
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,406
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
I thought that the Flames played well in the 3rd period, it was hte 2nd period that killed it.
I would say the 3rd was, adequate. Not good. You cant really say they had a good period when they go in trailing by 2 and let it slip to 3 by getting 3 minors in the last 5 minutes.

2nd was horrendous.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
  #408
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker
 
Hand of Gaudreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
I thought as a plus that even while the team was struggling, with the exception of two or three shifts in the second, I noticed Backlund doing good things all night, and that breakaway he generated out of nothing in the first, that's the player I hope he becomes, or maintains or whatever, and I thought Baertschi did some really good things yesterday, and I thought his second penalty was an atrocious call. Final note, I think Jones should have been in, not Begin.


Does Irving play tonight?

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:10 PM
  #409
DBU
Tapu Debe
 
DBU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,861
vCash: 464
Side note, have we ever had a GDT get to 17 pages?

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:11 PM
  #410
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,406
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTheKid View Post
I thought as a plus that even while the team was struggling, with the exception of two or three shifts in the second, I noticed Backlund doing good things all night, and that breakaway he generated out of nothing in the first, that's the player I hope he becomes, or maintains or whatever, and I thought Baertschi did some really good things yesterday, and I thought his second penalty was an atrocious call. Final note, I think Jones should have been in, not Begin.


Does Irving play tonight?
Backlund looked like a 1st line C last night. Good puck control, great scoring chances solid passing and decent on the backend.

Bart looked solid but seemed like he was not used to the pace yet. I think he will steadily get more comfortable over the next few games. Looked great teeing up Backlund a couple times.

I thought Begin was actually one of the brighter spots of last night. Played his role well and reminded me of Jackman a couple years ago. I think he was fine. If anything sit Jackman and add Jones at center and move Begin over. With Comeau - Jones - Begin that is a lot of scoring ability for a 4th line and a lot of grit as well.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:12 PM
  #411
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,406
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Side note, have we ever had a GDT get to 17 pages?
Also this. 400 posts for a GDT? I thought the lockout was supposed to push fans away

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
  #412
Flames92
Registered User
 
Flames92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
I watched the iginla post game interview. He just looked out of it, i guess it wasnt a good day for jarome

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
  #413
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,697
vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
As good as Arnott is in the FO circle, I can't see him keeping up with the other team and with Tangs+Iggy (as you suggested). I wouldn't mind him in a 3rd/4th line position, though.
Arnott recorded 34pts last season playing 3rd line minutes. I like him because of his size, FO ability, and he has the hockey smarts to play with Iggy and Tangs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 34 pts in this shortened season playing on our top line.

He would cost us next to nothing to add, and if anything he would be adding another guy that can win 50% on draws.

I think we'll be fine once Hudler and Cervenka come back, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing Arnott even though his best days are behind him.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:46 PM
  #414
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Arnott recorded 34pts last season playing 3rd line minutes. I like him because of his size, FO ability, and he has the hockey smarts to play with Iggy and Tangs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 34 pts in this shortened season playing on our top line.

He would cost us next to nothing to add, and if anything he would be adding another guy that can win 50% on draws.

I think we'll be fine once Hudler and Cervenka come back, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing Arnott even though his best days are behind him.
Absolutley! Big body, smart in his own end and wins draws. For what it will cost in term this is a great idea for this season.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
  #415
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,406
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Absolutley! Big body, smart in his own end and wins draws. For what it will cost in term this is a great idea for this season.
The only issue I really have with this is who gets bumped off the lineup?

We could obviously bench Begin and Jones and put Stajan on the 4th line....

Tangs - Cammy - Iginla
Glenx - Cervenka - Hudler
Bart - Backlund - Stemps
Comeau - Stajan - Jackman

I don't see who you take out of the lineup to add Arnott....

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
  #416
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
The only issue I really have with this is who gets bumped off the lineup?

We could obviously bench Begin and Jones and put Stajan on the 4th line....

Tangs - Cammy - Iginla
Glenx - Cervenka - Hudler
Bart - Backlund - Stemps
Comeau - Stajan - Jackman

I don't see who you take out of the lineup to add Arnott....
I would dump either stemps or jackman in his favour and use him as our 4th or 3rd line C. When we need a FO win on our 1st line he goes out with the big guys. Use him on the PP as well.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
  #417
InfinityIggy
Moderator
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,406
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
I would dump either stemps or jackman in his favour and use him as our 4th or 3rd line C. When we need a FO win on our 1st line he goes out with the big guys. Use him on the PP as well.
Ok, but who plays 4th line LW then? Keeping in mind Stajan is god awful on the wing.

Tangs - Cammy - Iginla
(Keep B&B together) Bart - Backlund - Hudler
GlenX - Arnott - Cervenka
Comeau - Stajan - Stemps

I actually really like that checking line....feel bad for Stemps and Stajan though.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.