HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Claim Brian Strait

Old
01-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Sparksrus3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
If they sign Gomez, I'll do one better and just become a Rangers fan.

/lolnotttttttt
So then you can be called. IslesBeGone or This team is so -/()$& frustrating. Sorry I only meant the first one. LETS GO ISLANDERS!

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:07 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think in this case, the "glut" as you call it, is a smart thing.

IMO, when looking at the Isles blueline, I see three guys who are solid (Streit, Macdonald, Hamonic), and then a pretty bad collection for the other 3 spots. Martinek's an injury risk and is also not getting any younger, so I'm really not sure how much injury and age has hurt him. Ideally, Carkner's a physical 7th defenseman who can slot in as a 6th, then you've got two AHLers in Landry and Wishart, plus kids like Donovan and Reinhart who could probably do with a bit more seasoning in junior/AHL. Visnovsky is a wildcard, but what exactly can you expect out of a guy who is fighting this hard not to show up? A defenseman version of Brian Rolston from last year?

By bringing in three youngsters who are on the cusp of playing in the NHL in Hickey, Finley and Strait, Snow has potentially solved an issue on the bottom pairing, upgrading on the likes of Wishart and Landry, and allowing Reinhart and Donovan more time to develop, without having to give anything up. Whichever of Hickey, Strait, or Finley looks best in camp gets the bottom pairing job, and AHLers Landry and Wishart can go away.

Obviously this doesn't address any of the other team needs. But just in terms of upgrading or improving the quality of players available for the bottom pairing, I think these pickups make a lot of sense.
Say it louder Kidney, because there are many folks on this board that are hiding from the truth of just how bad our defense is. Hickey was the best pickup of the group, and Strait may be right behind him, but I don't see Finley ever seeing NHL ice unless his skating does a 180 degree turn. The intrasquad match they played recently exposed that much.

Nice to see Mitch back too. I look forward to the next "I can't believe I have to log back in to post this again" speech during our upcoming argument.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
The kid is from Bawsten and played at BU...

Should have seen this coming.
bingo. "One if by draft, two if by free"

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Vujtek

Hey guys,

What kind of first impression did Strait leave after yesterday's game? I hope he does well for you.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Hey guys,

What kind of first impression did Strait leave after yesterday's game? I hope he does well for you.
I am one of the few NYI fans who knew who he was before he was claimed on waivers. He was good with the Pens in the playoffs last season.
He played well and is certainly an NHLer on most teams. I was surprised the Pens let him go. I see him mature as a very solid defensive defenseman with some upside

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:30 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I am one of the few NYI fans who knew who he was before he was claimed on waivers. He was good with the Pens in the playoffs last season.
He played well and is certainly an NHLer on most teams. I was surprised the Pens let him go. I see him mature as a very solid defensive defenseman with some upside
Good analysis. He's positionally sound and is the right type of player on a young team. Nothing special but he's where he should be on the ice.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Hey guys,

I thought he did okay.

01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Hey guys,

AHL hockey player, did amicable in the NHL. Probably wouldn't ever touch the NHL ice if not for the Isles. Would rather not make a habit out of watching him play.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
bigd

Quote:
Hey guys,

I thought he did pretty well for his first game with limited time and no practice with the team. The bad line change looked like a result of that. With Mark Streit being such a defensive liability I think they are hoping Brian Strait will grow into the role of covering for him. Time will tell. I do think he's an NHL calipar D-man but on most other teams he's a bottom 5,6,or7.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

My initial take on Strait, from what I read and what I watched last night, is that he is a much younger and healthier version of Radek Martinek: good for 15-25 points a season, and a solid defender who makes the first pass and can pinch here and there, but doesn't have the supreme vision and poise necessary to be a powerplay defenseman and offensive threat. Also, judging by his non-existant goal scoring his entire career, that will never change, as he does not seem to possess either an accurate or powerful shot to get through on net.

Overall, his potential is a bottom pairing defenseman, similar to Martinek. On this team, he will likely be asked to be our #4 defenseman, though.

Ultimately, he is not the kind of defenseman you build around in today's NHL, so I don't think the Penguins will cry over losing him.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I think I agree with the others here. He is nothing special offensively, but can be counted on as a career #5/6 defensive defenseman.

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Isles Maineac

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
AHL hockey player, did amicable in the NHL. Probably wouldn't ever touch the NHL ice if not for the Isles. Would rather not make a habit out of watching him play.
"did amicable in the NHL" ...Huh?

I thought Strait was very solid. No glaring mistakes and positionally sound.

Isles Maineac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:40 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Maineac View Post
"did amicable in the NHL" ...Huh?

I thought Strait was very solid. No glaring mistakes and positionally sound.
I agree. some see waiver p/u so he must be garbage. He played most the night against the Devils 1st or 2nd line and held his own with little practice with his new D partner. Good size, decent skater, very good positionally. I expect him to get better once he gets more comfortable with the team.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
bigd

Exactly, you really have to give him some time before you crucify him. Even though he's 25 he's still an NHL rookie. That was only his 13 NHL game and he was just thrown into the fire. Out of all the waiver pickups I think he may turn out to be the only one that sticks.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:08 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Strait is redundant. His ceiling is 2nd pairing, and will wind up most likely as a 5-6. Yawn. We have plenty of that in the system. What we need is top 2 material.

I see no reason to crack a smile based on that.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Strait is redundant. His ceiling is 2nd pairing, and will wind up most likely as a 5-6. Yawn. We have plenty of that in the system. What we need is top 2 material.

An NHL defenseman is an NHL defenseman. Depth is good.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:29 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
An NHL defenseman is an NHL defenseman. Depth is good.
I agree, but this club rode into this season with a mediocre to bad defense and Strait did nothing to improve that. You could argue he helps to keep it from getting even worse from injuries, but he brings nothing to the table to make it better.

Now if his presence allows for a trade including one of our other mid level prospects then I'd consider that a benefit of having him here, but there is every indication that Snow, or perhaps Wang, will ignore their team's needs yet again. They have put all their money on getting a good cast off from the great reduced-cap-induced-player-purge expected this summer.

I hope they are right.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:57 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
I agree, but this club rode into this season with a mediocre to bad defense and Strait did nothing to improve that. You could argue he helps to keep it from getting even worse from injuries, but he brings nothing to the table to make it better.

Now if his presence allows for a trade including one of our other mid level prospects then I'd consider that a benefit of having him here, but there is every indication that Snow, or perhaps Wang, will ignore their team's needs yet again. They have put all their money on getting a good cast off from the great reduced-cap-induced-player-purge expected this summer.

I hope they are right.
Isles have no assets to make a trade within the season, when teams don't trade players that can help them. At the deadline, they may be able to snag a pick, again, for whomever they want to dump. Maybe Martinek again? Not sure anyone else has any value, maybe Visnovsky if he reports? Boyes if he has a good year? Trades are a path to nothing for this team unless they are willing to take on salary and that will be in summer at the earliest.

Strait helps because it keeps Wishart, Landry, Ness, Donovan, out of the lineup. If his upside is Andrew MacDonald then let's count our blessing because he's among our best and most reliable dmen.

Let's not forget or ignore how horrible this defense was looking before Martinek, Finley, Hickey, Strait. And those players are not exactly NHL players.

Snow is selling smoke, snake-oil, hope or prayer....not sure exactly. But maybe, just maybe, one of those Nigerian emails might actually have a fortune at the end of that rainbow....but don't count on it.

Okay.....time to tame the negativity. I will continue to cheer on the boys and maybe voodoo and prayer can make 8th place possible......holding breath....starting......now!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:36 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
i think crew was onto something in a post he made in another thread. it seems as if snow was putting all his eggs in the "lower cap ceiling" basket for this season expecting to take advantage of a cap casualty or 2, and it blew up in his face. i think when he realized it wasn't happening this year, he decided to call it season and just do his best to protect the kids.

if that's the case, in all honesty it's hard for me to blame him since obtaining top 4 d-men or top 6 forwards would be extremely costly, particularly with this shortened season, and could possibly set the rebuild back even further in the long term.

this is the only thing i'm holding onto, and i'm willing to give him a pass in this shortened season. but if he doesn't make some sort of splash this coming offseason, and all we see is more reasoners, martineks(although i admit, i didn't really mind that move) and waiver pickups, it may be enough for me to finally throw in the towel after all these miserable years...at least until garth and/or wang are upgraded(not simply gone or fired).

as much as i love jt, there's not a single player now or that ever played, that alone could turn this into an above average (let alone championship-caliber) team having to work with what garth and chuckles continue to put together.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:58 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
i think crew was onto something in a post he made in another thread. it seems as if snow was putting all his eggs in the "lower cap ceiling" basket for this season expecting to take advantage of a cap casualty or 2, and it blew up in his face. i think when he realized it wasn't happening this year, he decided to call it season and just do his best to protect the kids.

if that's the case, in all honesty it's hard for me to blame him since obtaining top 4 d-men or top 6 forwards would be extremely costly, particularly with this shortened season, and could possibly set the rebuild back even further in the long term.

this is the only thing i'm holding onto, and i'm willing to give him a pass in this shortened season. but if he doesn't make some sort of splash this coming offseason, and all we see is more reasoners, martineks(although i admit, i didn't really mind that move) and waiver pickups, it may be enough for me to finally throw in the towel after all these miserable years...at least until garth and/or wang are upgraded(not simply gone or fired).

as much as i love jt, there's not a single player now or that ever played, that alone could turn this into an above average (let alone championship-caliber) team having to work with what garth and chuckles continue to put together.
A couple of things actually blew up in Garths face on the eve of the season, which he cannot be blamed for. Lubo not reporting is something nobody could've foreseen and then both Bailey and Joensuu repoting back injured forced him into making some quick decisions.

Nobody will trade anyone of value at this point so you might as well get the scraps on the waiver wire instead of giving up assets for them, although it is puzzling he should need three dmen. Finley I think was taken for his size alone, Hickey for his potential and Strait because of his supposed reliability. It buys us a little time to develop some prospects correctly instead of rushing them, but it won't take us anywhere this season.

With Lubo this defense corps actually looks okay but more people need to show up or elose this season will be the "death for Seth" season

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:49 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post

I'd argue Mario Lemieux has us in the playoffs.

MAYBE....Roy, but definitely Mario.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:20 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

If you limit it to one of our own, I would say Denis Potvin.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:27 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:

Star Defenseman do not grow on trees. Maybe the Islanders should have drafted Karlsson instead of Bailey. Then again quite a few teams passed on him. A guy like Spurgeon should have never been let go. Other than that, "Who was available for the Islanders to get through free agency/trade?"
Shultz?
Garrison?
Erhoff? Who didnt want to come here anyway.
Every team is looking for top D-man and thats why teams are over drafting right now.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:58 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

We need this beard

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:26 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

what i meant was any one person whether it be tavares OR someone else...not jt in addition to. you still think mario in place of jt makes this a playoff team? not me...

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote