HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

OT: Anything Goes 6: BBH/Culk Containment Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 09:48 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Murray - made a low country boil yesterday. So ****ing good. Crab clusters, snow crab claws, shrimp, crawfish, andouille sausage, corn, and potatoes. Made your typical seasoning, loaded with cayenne pepper, and a couple bulbs of garlic and couple lemons tossed in the pot.

Wow, that looks incredible. Seems like it would be a pretty simple meal to make too.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:52 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Wow, that looks incredible. Seems like it would be a pretty simple meal to make too.
Yeah, real easy to cook. Can be a pain to get out depending on your setup. Only thing you have to worry about it overcooking it. Typically you use a turkey fryer for it, because of how much you're making, and hook it up to a propane tank outside. Unfortunately we either lost our strainer for it, or it didn't come with a strainer and I didn't notice when buying.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:55 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Yeah, real easy to cook. Can be a pain to get out depending on your setup. Only thing you have to worry about it overcooking it. Typically you use a turkey fryer for it, because of how much you're making, and hook it up to a propane tank outside. Unfortunately we either lost our strainer for it, or it didn't come with a strainer and I didn't notice when buying.
I'm guessing the flavors mixed together into the potatoes and corn. Those were probably ultra good.

Ouch, that sucks. Can't be too expensive to get one though.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
RayP

Quote:
I'm guessing the flavors mixed together into the potatoes and corn. Those were probably ultra good.

Ouch, that sucks. Can't be too expensive to get one though.
Indeed they are. The shrimp too, especially the shrimp. Crawfish were a little disappointing, though. They needed to be tossed in a a cajun/creole butter afterwards for when you'd suck the brains out. Didn't retain any of the flavor from the broth after they were dumped out.

Eh, not that big of a deal.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Indeed they are. The shrimp too, especially the shrimp. Crawfish were a little disappointing, though. They needed to be tossed in a a cajun/creole butter afterwards for when you'd suck the brains out. Didn't retain any of the flavor from the broth after they were dumped out.

Eh, not that big of a deal.
I need to go somewhere and try crawfish. I'm a big seafood fan, so I'm sure I'll like them, but I actually want to have good ones the first time I eat them.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:07 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
The only closing scheduled in the office all day just got cancelled, so it's likely going to be just be me all day long with little to no work to do thanks to all the banks and a good 80% of the other lenders closed for the holiday.

Methinks I should've brought a bigger book than my copy of Down Goes Brown, as the few sites I'm going to be able to visit with this office's stupid web filter probably won't go very far....

.... fingers crossed that a bunch more closings don't get scheduled for later in the week, as today's pretty much a lost work day with all the lenders that are out.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:09 AM
RayP

Quote:
I need to go somewhere and try crawfish. I'm a big seafood fan, so I'm sure I'll like them, but I actually want to have good ones the first time I eat them.
They're like mini-lobsters. Take a little more care and handling, but well worth it. You just have to make sure they're cleaned, otherwise they'll taste like mud, as they live in mud (hence the nickname mud bugs).

I love them, and can polish off 100+ in a single sitting, with an appetizer, and a Big Gulp 54oz Mountain Dew and still not be even close to full.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:15 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
They're like mini-lobsters. Take a little more care and handling, but well worth it. You just have to make sure they're cleaned, otherwise they'll taste like mud, as they live in mud (hence the nickname mud bugs).

I love them, and can polish off 100+ in a single sitting, with an appetizer, and a Big Gulp 54oz Mountain Dew and still not be even close to full.
Hopefully there's a good place to get them in Chicago.

****, who am I kidding. We have everything here.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
RayP

Quote:
Hopefully there's a good place to get them in Chicago.

****, who am I kidding. We have everything here.
Weird fact: I was at a pool in Bloomingdale, and someone apparently put 2 live crawfish in the pool. Had no idea what they were at the time, was like 10 years old, but they scared the **** out of me.

And good luck. They're extremely difficult to transport, and have an unbelievably short shelf life. If you do find them, they'll likely have been frozen, and frozen crawfish are awful. The big cajun/New Orleans restaurant that I know of in Chicago, Heaven On 7, only has them fried... which means they've been caught, peeled, frozen, shipped, and fried. Wouldn't surprise me if they were even pre-cooked prior to shipping, not even worth trying those. If you really want to try them, you're going to have to take a road trip. Link below if you still want to go anyway...

http://www.heavenonseven.com/

Old
01-21-2013, 10:23 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Weird fact: I was at a pool in Bloomingdale, and someone apparently put 2 live crawfish in the pool. Had no idea what they were at the time, was like 10 years old, but they scared the **** out of me.

And good luck. They're extremely difficult to transport, and have an unbelievably short shelf life. If you do find them, they'll likely have been frozen, and frozen crawfish are awful. The big cajun/New Orleans restaurant that I know of in Chicago, Heaven On 7, only has them fried... which means they've been caught, peeled, frozen, shipped, and fried. Wouldn't surprise me if they were even pre-cooked prior to shipping, not even worth trying those. If you really want to try them, you're going to have to take a road trip. Link below if you still want to go anyway...

http://www.heavenonseven.com/
Eh, I'll take your advice on that. Maybe I can take a crawfish/boob trip for Mardi Gras.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
RayP

Quote:
Eh, I'll take your advice on that. Maybe I can take a crawfish/boob trip for Mardi Gras.
There is a place in Vegas that has them overnighted every single day, but because of their shelf life, they literally have to be overnighted... and done so daily.

Can't go wrong there, although you couldn't pay me to go during Mardi Gras. Absolute ****fest, streets just covered in puke, bars beyond overpacked, and people looking for fights all over the place.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
I say we all pool up money to fly Ray up here and have him cook us a feast.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:33 AM
RayP

2013 Chicago Blackhawks HFBoards Christmas Party Meetup

Old
01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I say we all pool up money to fly Ray up here and have him cook us a feast.
That works too

Quote:
There is a place in Vegas that has them overnighted every single day, but because of their shelf life, they literally have to be overnighted... and done so daily.

Can't go wrong there, although you couldn't pay me to go during Mardi Gras. Absolute ****fest, streets just covered in puke, bars beyond overpacked, and people looking for fights all over the place.
Sounds fun. haha

Apparently, they're available for overnights to the general public as well. I'm sure this is expensive though.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:37 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Live-Crawf...Pack-P206.aspx

Not bad

Old
01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
RayP

Quote:
You then have to overnight it, and the packaging with that I'm sure will cost an arm and a leg. Just if you're curious, crawfish by me run about $3.99-4.99 per pound at our version of Jewel. Odd enough, our nicer grocery store never carries them. It's either the crap grocery store, or gotta go to like a Whole Foods.

You're in college, just take a damn road trip.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Cullksinikers

If that ever happened, I wonder how much of a gongshow it would be. Hey, it may be some good, old-fashioned fun.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
You then have to overnight it, and the packaging with that I'm sure will cost an arm and a leg. Just if you're curious, crawfish by me run about $3.99-4.99 per pound at our version of Jewel. Odd enough, our nicer grocery store never carries them. It's either the crap grocery store, or gotta go to like a Whole Foods.

You're in college, just take a damn road trip.
Lol, I'm going down to Ole Miss for football season next year, so I'll get em then.

At least I hope they're in Oxford.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
RayP

Quote:
If that ever happened, I wonder how much of a gongshow it would be. Hey, it may be some good, old-fashioned fun.
Definitely would need an inflatable boxing ring. I want you, first match of the night.

Quote:
Lol, I'm going down to Ole Miss for football season next year, so I'll get em then.

At least I hope they're in Oxford.
Go all out. Head to Nawlins after the game, or before.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:47 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Go all out. Head to Nawlins after the game, or before.
Not a bad idea. Maybe head straight from Purdue to New Orleans on Friday and then go to Oxford.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Cullksinikers

RayP: Definitely would need an inflatable boxing ring. I want you, first match of the night.

--

If you want to throw down in fisticuffs, fine. I've got Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary waiting for you right here.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:51 AM
RayP

Quote:
RayP: Definitely would need an inflatable boxing ring. I want you, first match of the night.

--

If you want to throw down in fisticuffs, fine. I've got Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary waiting for you right here.
GOAT movie.

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Maybe head straight from Purdue to New Orleans on Friday and then go to Oxford.
On the map it didn't look that far away, but apparently it's 5 hours from their campus. Still worth it, though.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Cullksinikers

Isn't another logical idea stopping for BBQ in Memphis?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:57 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
On the map it didn't look that far away, but apparently it's 5 hours from their campus. Still worth it, though.
Meh, I'll have driven 8 hours at that point anyways.

The A&M game is supposed to be a family trip, so it'll probably have to wait until I go down for the LSU game. Which is the next weekend haha.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Isn't another logical idea stopping for BBQ in Memphis?
Which is incredibly close to Oxford.

Closed Thread