HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
REVIEW:

Good

1. Miss: Great game. When the team gave up 11 shots in the first half a period and barely went into the offensive zone, he kept them in the game. This included killing off a full 5-on-3 and a total of 7 penalties.

2. Noob: A goal and an assist. Looked like the Mark Messier of the AHL.

3. Kolarik: Also with a goal and an assist. Looked very confident.

4. Pyett: Great on both ends of the ice. Two assists.

5. Klassen: Good defensively. Good on the PK.

6. Bourque: This is his song... every day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMRDRycFJ-8

7. Tessier: Dubinsky of the AHL. Participated on offense and was good all-around.

8. Parlett: Good, confident game. Good on offense, solid on defense except for one turnover.

9. Weibe: Heart and soul guy gets his first goal in the AHL, and it was a shorthander that he got by causing a turnover with his hustle.

Up and Down

1. Vernace: Good game except for two turnovers.

2. Mash: Good along the boards, but bad in the open ice.

3. McIlrath: Just doesn't seem confident in his play. Does stuff without a purpose. Looks like he's thinking, "hey how about I do this now?" without thinking why do it. Good work with his stick, either rushing the puck or defending. Needs to improve his skating balance and he'll be a good NHLer. Needs to stop pretending he's Chara and work on being Beukeboom.

Nothing Special

1. Jean: Not a bad game, but nothing stood out.

2. Collins: No mistakes, nothing flashy. Good game for him.

3. Yogan: Nothing to say, good or bad. He was just there.

4. Wilson: Decent job by a 4th liner, not much else.

5. Haley: The Rupp of the AHL.

Bad

1. Miller: Useless. Lacks confidence, lacks ability to outplay the opposition. Nowhere near being called up as an NHL third liner.

2. Thomas: He's got nothing except his shot. He's like a sucky version of Ziggy Palffy.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:35 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea the Lisin for Korps deal was bad and the Kundratek one looks to be one too. But Sather does have some good deals of course, well some great ones too.

I wont bring up the Rangers have like 8 million in dead cap space with Redden and Drury UFA buyourts,lol

As for waivers yea that makes sense but still alot of vet UFAs that can start in the minors. Maybe they want NHL deals though

from cap geek , took out a bunch of guys likely retired or guys likely wanting NHL deals for sure or they likely play in Europe

Clark, Brett D 36 TBL 82 2 13 15 -26 2145 14.87 2.06 1.43 18.37
Eaton, Mark D 35 NYI 62 1 3 4 -17 1293 14.03 1.97 0.03 16.05
Huskins, Kent D 33 STL 25 2 5 7 9 573 14.48 0.72 0.20 15.44
Jones, Randy D 31 WIN 39 1 1 2 4 757 13.15 1.56 0.05 14.79
Rodney, Bryan D 28 EDM 1 0 0 0 -1 21 11.00 0.00 1.00 13.00
Bell, Brendan D 29 NYR 1 0 0 0 -1 17 11.00 0.00 0.00 11.00
Bradley, Matt R 34 FLA 45 3 5 8 -3 697 10.31 0.40 0.13 10.87
Winchester, Jesse C 29 OTT 32 2 6 8 2 556 8.38 2.22 0.00 10.63
Bitz, Byron R 28 VAN 10 1 3 4 2 174 10.40 0.00 0.00 10.40
Hunter, Trent R 32 LAK 38 2 5 7 -4 537 9.24 0.00 0.84 10.08
Ortmeyer, Jed R 34 MIN 35 1 1 2 -8 551 8.69 1.00 0.00 9.71
Duco, Mike R 25 VAN 6 0 2 2 1 79 8.00 0.00 0.00 8.00
Winchester, Brad L 31 SAN 67 6 4 10 -5 849 7.63 0.01 0.15 7.81
Pelley, Rod C 28 ANA 52 2 1 3 -3 560 7.42 0.31 0.00 7.75
King, D.J. L 28 WAS 1 0 0 0 0 9 6.00 0.00 0.00 6.00
Oreskovich, V. R 26 VAN 1 0 0 0 0 9 5.00 0.00 0.00 6.00
Isn't Jesse Winchester a guy the Rangers have had some interest in the past?

Old
01-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Vitto79

that was rumored in the offseason, at this pt he should take a 2 way deal which would help CT to start too

Segal back to CT by the way

Old
01-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
that was rumored in the offseason, at this pt he should take a 2 way deal which would help CT to start too

Segal back to CT by the way

I assume Wilson sits. I wonder who'll sit when Hrivik is back. Yogan might go back to the ECHL. They might send down Shayne Wiebe, which wouldn't be fair, but he's not regarded as a prospect. He's 2 years older than Yogan and smaller. That said, he's a much better player right now. He's really good out there, I like him. Hell, if they sit Haley I wouldn't have a problem now that the team has Mash. But then again, Yogan might be better off getting first line minutes in Greenville than fourth line minutes in Hartford. The gap from the ECHL to the AHL isn't massive and time on ice matters when you got the right to buy beer only a few weeks ago.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

FIRST PERIOD

Miss is starting his second straight game for the first time. Being rewarded for an excellent start yesterday.

Haley - Newbury - Kolarik
Mash - Miller - Segal
Yogan - Jean - Bourque
Wilson - Tessier - Wiebe

Parlett - Pyett
Klassen - McIlrath
Collins - Vernace

Christian Thomas is benched for sucking last night. This is what I wrote after yesterday's game: "Thomas: He's got nothing except his shot. He's like a sucky version of Ziggy Palffy."

McIlrath is playing with Klassen for the second game in a row because they want a steadier defensive presence with him. He still has balance problems that cause issues on defense.

GOAL: Miller with a terrific shot from between the faceoff circles into the top right corner. 1-0. This wasn't the first good play by him. Mash gets the lone assist.

Pyett with a great rush, shot, stopped. Wiebe drove to the net and got the rebound, but also got stopped.

PENALTY on Verance. McIlrath with Parlett, Noob with Kolarik. Parlett almost immediately draws a penalty, so it will be a 4-on-4 for 1:56.

Nice pair of saves by Miss from inside the hash marks. Hartford outshot 10-4, but it's tough to score on Miss when he's facing you. If they make him move from side to side, he's in trouble, but straight up shots, he's good at.

Jesus, can somebody buy Mash a book called "Hockey for Dummies"? He has no idea what he's doing out there. He is just throwing the puck up in any direction without knowing what's going on there.

GOAL: I was sitting here thinking, "With Thomas (deservedly) benched, who the hell will score? This team has no offensive guys at all, how are we leading?" ... the Bruins scored a very similar goal to the one Miller earlier scored.

GOAL: Snap shot from the blueline gets passed Miss who was screened. 2-1 down.

PERIOD OVER. Interview with Noob now who says that he's shooting more because teams have been trying to cut off his assists because he's seen as a pass-first guy.

Last edited by Beacon: 01-20-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Osminator

who is scratched for the Whale?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Osminator

Welcome back Brandon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTXVqETBM4

Old
01-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
who is scratched for the Whale?
Christian Thomas. He deserves it. Has not produced at all.

He really should be sent down to the ECHL. He's having trouble at this level and it's getting to him. He needs to go down, put up some goals, learn the little things about playing against adults and then come back up to Hartford.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Christian Thomas. He deserves it. Has not produced at all.

He really should be sent down to the ECHL. He's having trouble at this level and it's getting to him. He needs to go down, put up some goals, learn the little things about playing against adults and then come back up to Hartford.
75% of this team has no business in the AHL... lets face it: Yogan, Wilson, Jean, Bourque, Thomas.. Vernace, Collins should be out of hockey soon, Pyett on their heels... Missiaen is also a happy-go-lucky guy to be in the AHL, only because Stajcer is so weak and there is simply no one else. Haley wasn't even considered to be called up to NY, Segal shows up every 15 or so games, Kolarik is hot and cold.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
75% of this team has no business in the AHL... lets face it: Yogan, Wilson, Jean, Bourque, Thomas.. Vernace, Collins should be out of hockey soon, Pyett on their heels... Missiaen is also a happy-go-lucky guy to be in the AHL, only because Stajcer is so weak and there is simply no one else. Haley wasn't even considered to be called up to NY, Segal shows up every 15 or so games, Kolarik is hot and cold.

I don't agree with all of this. Jean is doing ok, he deserves to be in the AHL. Bourque is very underrated. I still have hopes for Yogan because of his size and skating ability. Pyett is up and down, but not bad. Miss is ok for an AHL backup goalie. He would get rocked badly in the NHL because he can't move, but as an AHL backup, he does his job properly now (though he started the season very poorly, he's gotten better s since). Wilson could be an AHL 4th liner, I wouldn't mind that, though I wouldn't mind if he got sent down to the ECHL either.

Vernace, Collins, Stajcer, Thomas don't belong in the AHL. Stajcer barely belongs in the ECHL. Of all the people who are on NHL contracts, Stajcer is easily the worst. In fact, multiple people on minor league contracts (Klassen, Wiebe, Tessier, a bunch of ECHL guys) are better than him.

The Whale now are a tough f-ing team. Newbury, Segal, Yogan, Wilson, Mash, McIlrath, Klassen, Collins, even guys like Miller and Jean can use the body when they need to. Nobody to score though.

Last edited by Beacon: 01-20-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

SECOND PERIOD

Klassen with a giveaway to the left of Miss. Not good.

FIGHT. Wilson took a penalty, then got into a fight, which was cut shot after he landed one punch and took one. Yogan served the extra minor. Came out of the penalty box and was all alone, ready to go on a breakaway, but was unable to collect the pass to him.

Noob took a dumb penalty in the offensive zone.

McIlrath just did a coast-to-coast, passed to Kolarik, who lost the puck.

GOAL: Pass from right to left and the Bruins score into an empty net. Impossible for Miss to stop, it was similar to the Lundqvist save last night, but even more difficult. 3-1.

FIGHT: McIlrath fought Robbins. Robbins tried to land more punches while McIlrath was off-balance (what else is new?), but McIlrath came back nicely and landed more punches than Robbins did. Long, long fight.

Miss gives up a rebound, but makes a nice save diving to his right.

Providence dominating.

Yogi with a good shift, using his speed and size to drive the puck into the offensive zone. Yogi-Jean-Bourque is a nice, speedy, hard-working line.

Pyett broke up a 2-on-1 nicely.

Miss with a good save sliding to his left. Hit him in the mask.

Whale is being outshot 26-10 so far.

Tessier lost his stick, yet blocked a shot, and then on a separate play caught the puck and passed it with his foot. Wiebe then drew a penalty with his hard work. Good job by the guys nobody pays attention to.

SECOND PERIOD OVER

Last edited by Beacon: 01-20-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I don't agree with all of this. Jean is doing ok, he deserves to be in the AHL. Bourque is very underrated. I still have hopes for Yogan because of his size and skating ability. Pyett is up and down, but not bad. Miss is ok for an AHL backup goalie. He would get rocked badly in the NHL because he can't move, but as an AHL backup, he does his job properly now (though he started the season very poorly, he's gotten better s since). Wilson could be an AHL 4th liner, I wouldn't mind that, though I wouldn't mind if he got sent down to the ECHL either.

Vernace, Collins, Stajcer, Thomas don't belong in the AHL. Stajcer barely belongs in the ECHL.
1000% correct.

Old
01-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

THIRD PERIOD

3-on-1 led by Genuine Draft. He makes a pass to Kolarik, who misses the net with a weak shot. Not good.

Very nice glove save by Miss on Spooner.

TEAM ON TEAM FIGHT, including even Bourque exchanging punches with a much bigger player. The Bruins decided to run into Miss, the puck went in, and the Whales attacked them from all sides. I don't think the goal will count, though the red light went on.

It's all Bruins. This looks like something similar to when Belarus, France or Denmark is playing Canada, US or Russia. Sure, they are in the same division, but a totally different class of teams. Whale outshot 33-14 so far. This team has some hard working guys, some tough guys, just no scorers. Thomas was supposed to serve this role and Miller to a degree, but no dice, at least not this year.

GOAL: Pass from behind the net, right above the crease, and it's 4-1.

Bourque with a nice play around a defenseman to set himself up between the hash marks, but it was stopped. He's one of the few who's having a good game.

Very nice save by Miss, sliding from side to side. He's done a much better job of it tonight. But then Haley took a penalty. What a waste of space he is. I don't understand why we need both Mash and Haley, one is enough.

Bourque with a nice pass to Jean near the net with half a minute to go, but the shot was blocked.

GAME OVER. This team sucks. Miss did a competent job, yet still wound up with 4 goals against because the whole game was spent in his zone.

I can't do a review now because I have to leave, will do it at night.

Last edited by Beacon: 01-20-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
brguerrero ‏@brguerrero

#Caps recall Tomas Kundratek. He currently leads Hershey in goals (13) and ranks third in points (26). Named AHL Eastern Conf. All-Star
Bouchard

Old
01-21-2013, 12:18 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Bouchard
I don't get why it's so hard to understand: Kundratek did not want to be here.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Osminator

Nevermind

Old
01-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Nobody wants to be the 8th dman in the AHL behind Niemi and Nightingale.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:02 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
This I understand. Bouchard as the return is not possible to defend IMO. Regardless if "Kundratek did not want to be here" or not.
Terrible asset management IMO. He was advancing quite nicely in Hartford at the time. With a regular spot there as a 21 year old when he was dealt. A right handed D (just like Stu Bickel). 3rd rounder. Height 6.02 - Weight 192. Just look at what Bobby Sangs or Evgeny Grachev got in return... it was no total fiasco pieces like Bouchard at least.
If you think this was the optimal scenario or return - Fine. I do not. But that is hardly a huge issue in the big picture

Old
01-21-2013, 01:57 PM
shinchanyo

I remember Vtank and Kundratek being the 1st pair which was a RD? Seems to me losing Vtank couldn't be helped but it feels like we screwed up letting Kundratek want to leave and then actually giving him his ticket considering...y'know...Bickle

Old
01-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
I remember Vtank and Kundratek being the 1st pair which was a RD? Seems to me losing Vtank couldn't be helped but it feels like we screwed up letting Kundratek want to leave and then actually giving him his ticket considering...y'know...Bickle

Kundratek was the RD.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Whale Bruins highlights http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/115148

Old
01-22-2013, 03:59 AM
Osminator

Can somebody bring Shoenfeld out of his coma???
Look at the other teams getting active snapping up some of the best remaining UFAs out there to help their AHL teams: http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php

Old
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Has anyone heard any updates on Hrivik?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:56 AM
NYR Viper

I find it hard to believe that Kolarik shouldn't at least get a look on the Rangers. The guy has good hockey IQ and would actually compliment the 3rd line of Pyatt and Boyle quote a bit with his skills.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
I don't buy that to be honest. He was under contract with us and I am sure his number one goal would have been to play on Broadway.

I've heard this about so many kids over the year that I definitely its as much about a dialogue where agents let it be known that a kid wants to play in the NHL or move to a team where he got a better shot at making it. My point is just, if Kundratek becomes a good NHL D we screwed up. We should have given him a better shot sooner. Should have been clearer with him that his shot would come. Should have called him up just to practise with the team. Or whatever.

Obviously we did just not believe in him that much. And I am not sure if I right now believe in him all that much either. I wouldn't fault the brass a ton if he did become a strong top 4 D. Because while I liked the pick and liked his game, he didn't scream top 4 potential.

But, undoubtedly, we did screw up if he becomes great. All we could do then is to suck it up.

Closed Thread