HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How's Lander and Paajarvi doing?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:03 AM
TheHockeyDirector

vCash: 500
How's Lander and Paajarvi doing?

I'm a fan of their former Swedish team Timrå. So how are they doing so far? any chance you'll be sending them back to us soon?

TheHockeyDirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:17 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Paajarvi's a bust,and Lander looks like he's going to be a 4th liner in the future.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Thorulf

Magnus "the dull knife" Pääjärvi will be home in Timrå soon.

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:35 AM
dnicks17

Paajarvi is still up with the big club, although we're not sure why. He's sitting in the pressbox.

Lander has been good in the AHL, although doesn't have any offensive results for it.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if one or both are back with Timra in the next couple of years.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Everlasting

Their status has not changed since they played in Timrå. Lander is far superior MPS and MPS is having trouble putting up the numbers expected from him.
Lander has been good and will only become better. He has a future in the oilers, a good future. MPS should have stayed with Lander for another year to develop. That has gotten to him. So things looks the same when they left Timrå really.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Their status has not changed since they played in Timrå. Lander is far superior MPS and MPS is having trouble putting up the numbers expected from him.
Lander has been good and will only become better. He has a future in the oilers, a good future. MPS should have stayed with Lander for another year to develop. That has gotten to him. So things looks the same when they left Timrå really.
MPS had a decent first year, but stopped doing a few of the things that made him successful.

He used to burn past defenders on the outside, and force his way into the slot using his size, and strength, but I have not seen him do that since his rookie year. He has unfortunately developed the habits of a perimeter player.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
oilersfan11

If only the Oilers had drafted Chris Kreider or Dmitri Kulikov instead of MPS.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Aerchon

This board is getting savage.

MP and Lander are looking very similiar. Both are having troubles but with 2-3 more years in the minors should end up being very useful bottom 6 forwards in the NHL.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:02 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
This board is getting savage.

MP and Lander are looking very similiar. Both are having troubles but with 2-3 more years in the minors should end up being very useful bottom 6 forwards in the NHL.

The problem with MPS is that we didn't draft MPS to be in the bottom six.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Getting useful NHL players out of the draft is what we are always shooting for. Whether top 6 or bottom 6 it is a great success to draft an NHL worthy player.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
So because the guy doesn't become what we thought he's a complete write off?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So because the guy doesn't become what we thought he's a complete write off?
Nope,I just consider MPS being a bottom-six forward as a major disappointment,since so many fans projected him to be a 30 goal scorer for us in the future.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Getting useful NHL players out of the draft is what we are always shooting for. Whether top 6 or bottom 6 it is a great success to draft an NHL worthy player.
Well said, sir.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:06 PM
The Moose

To me MPS seems too soft to be an effective bottom six player.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:19 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

We throw around "bust" a little too often imo. I don't think either can be written off as busts yet. They may not be tracking all that well (even that's arguable)... but to say they have no hope at the NHL level is going too far.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
We throw around "bust" a little too often imo. I don't think either can be written off as busts yet. They may not be tracking all that well (even that's arguable)... but to say they have no hope at the NHL level is going too far.
I dunno, I don't see an NHLer in Lander and I've felt that way for some time. Its simple arithmetic for me:

No size + no speed = no way you can be effective as a role player in this league.

I know he's got heart and hockey smarts but if you can't skate and you can't outmuscle guys, how do you play effectively go head-to-head with a Thornton or Sedin? You just can't.

Euro league veteran.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

If MPS at some point decides paying the price to cut infront of the net is better than going wide, then he can become a top 6 player. Especially when considering his speed. His shot is far too weak to be a permiter player.

He seems too timid to go into the tough areas, so will likely end up back in Europe in the next few years, where his game is more suited to the bigger ice surface.

Lander will be a 4th line center in the NHL one day, if he wants; perhaps a 3rd line center. I really don't get the sense his game is going to translate well to the NHL. He clearly has a lot of quality, leadership characteristics that all teams desire, but is missing that offensive edge.

My gut tells me both would be better off in Europe, but I believe they will stick around long enough for each of them to see 40-120 NHL games ... before the dream is over.

Last edited by Gone: 01-21-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:53 PM
joestevens29

I think Lander would've been better off spending another year or two in the SEL. At least this way he'd been more of a man than a kid. That and after 2 years you pretty much are ran out of town if you don't do something. Could've spent couple more years in the SEL, one in the AHL, and then his 4th year bouncing up and down between OKC and the NHL.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Paajarvi's a bust,and Lander looks like he's going to be a 4th liner in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Magnus "the dull knife" Pääjärvi will be home in Timrå soon.
You guys are unreal

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Petro Points

Both are doing fine. Lander is probably the best forward in OKC at the moment and Paajarvi should be a very good injury replacement on top 6. He is currently up with the big club practicing with the main team.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:18 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Olli Jokinen was once considered a bust. Just saying. With the right coach and obvious hard work I think MPS can be a consistent 20-30 goal guy in this league.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:23 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Olli Jokinen was once considered a bust. Just saying. With the right coach and obvious hard work I think MPS can be a consistent 20-30 goal guy in this league.
I see him more of a 10-20 guy depending on how much top-6 and PP time he gets.

It's nice to have wingers like this who will only require a small pay raise to keep around. He can fill holes when it comes to injuries and bring some speed to the third line. I think the Oilers could make use of him in the near future.

Swedes have always taken longer to develop so people need to be patient and not write a kid off because he isn't a 30 goal scorer 2 years into his NHL career.

Not everyone is a Taylor Hall guys.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:46 PM
misfit

I've always hoped Lander could one day become our version of Samuel Pahlsson. I just hope it doesn't take Lander the 9 years it took Paulsson to be the shutdown ace he was for the Ducks. But if it does take him 9 years, I hope it's with his 1st NHL team, not his 3rd ala Paulsson.

01-21-2013, 06:00 PM
KClovesGaming

I like MPS. He plays hard, he's a big body and he does have skill. The problem is with so much up front talent, he's the odd man out, just like Omark was. Omark was incredible along the boards and really battled his ass off. I truly believe if you took out Horcoff and put in MPS, gave him consistent ice time and kept him on the same line, night in and night out, he would be great. The problem is he is/was always moved around and shuffled around so much that he played with different players every night and it's hard to get any traction or chemistry. I remember a few years back when EDM had all the injuries and towards the end of the season he was literally all the team had left. He played in all roles on a nightly basis and he did very well. It's all about a chance and just can't get it because of the talent the team already has. As I said, take out Horcoff, sub in MPS, let him play on that line on a nightly basis, he'll fit in well. JMO and I stand by it.

KClovesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Lion

MPS = All the physical tools to be a good player but lacks hockey sense. Could end up being a third liner that gets 10 goals a season and maybe 30 points.

Lander = Could be a Belanger type player but has no offensive ability at all.

They're both 2 years away IMO from being legit NHLers.

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote