HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 12:40 PM
KlattNazty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
In Friedman's 30 thoughts today, he suggests that O'Reilly could be dealt soon. I have been a major supporter of this: we need to trade for him. He may not be a 90 point centre, but he is incredible defensively and would give us balance on that line. With Lupul and Kessel, he would be a 70 point guy.

I just don't know what it would take to get it done.
one 55 point season doesnt make you a guarantee for 70 pts between those two.

great defensively, yes, and does he have a ton of flexibility to play up and down a lineup? yes. would he be a great addition? yes.

whats the price though? im not sure at this point he plays that much different a role than grabovski, and i dont believe we can carry two contracts like that.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:48 PM
ChuckWoods

Take it for what it is worth as per usual, but from what I have heard (I've been wrong before!) apparently the Leafs may have made a phone call about the availability of Brooks Orpik.

He seems kind of redundant with the likes of Komisarek, Fraser and Holzer all playing right now.

But Carlyle has throw the other two in to see what he's got.

Take it with a grain of salt boys!

A phone call could be anything, chances are there's no proposal or further discussions. Its just chatter and something to discuss! Nothing is even close to imminent.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 01-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

For those suggesting Gardiner + Kulemin + for Duchene... are you nuts? Yes he is young and has great potential, but so does Gardiner. And Kulemin is a SOLID player who is needed on any cup contending team. AND you think we need to add more? Hell no, I'd pass.

But I would love Duchene in between Kessel and Lupul.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

I wonder if we can pry Backstrom out of Minnie...

I think he would be a perfect fit here and the Wild have Harding and Hackett moving forward.

There was some chatter about him last year and our relations with the Wild must be good considering Cliff's son is the GM.

I think if we take on his entire salary they would move him for a pick.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Take it for what it is worth as per usual, but from what I have heard (I've been wrong before!) apparently the Leafs made a phone call about the availability of Brooks Orpik.

He seems kind of redundant with the likes of Komisarek, Fraser and Holzer all playing right now.

A phone call could be anything, chances are there's no proposal or further discussions. Its just chatter and something to discuss! Nothing is even close to imminent.
It would take Kulemin.

01-21-2013, 12:54 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post

great defensively, yes, and does he have a ton of flexibility to play up and down a lineup? yes. would he be a great addition? yes.

whats the price though? im not sure at this point he plays that much different a role than grabovski, and i dont believe we can carry two contracts like that.
He is asking for $4 million per for 5 years, COL won't give him that. I'd give him that no problem. At worst he is a 2nd line C. $4 million for a 2nd line C is amazing.

And one 55 point season does make you a guarantee when you're 21, and put up 55 points playing the second hardest minutes on your team, being used extensively in defensive situations. That's impressive no matter how you look at it.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Take it for what it is worth as per usual, but from what I have heard (I've been wrong before!) apparently the Leafs may have made a phone call about the availability of Brooks Orpik.

Orpik is exactly what we need - however, if Komisarek is actually as good as he looked on Saturday, we may not need to worry.

I imagine that Pittsburgh would ask for Kulemin.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Pittsburgh fans seemed to have an odd obsession with Kulemin after his half-season in the KHL. I wonder if they'd be willing to give up Orpik + a good fwd prospect (Tangradi?) for him.

Either way, if Kulemin has a season anything like last year, there'll definitely be some questions about needing change of scenery.

Last edited by Kyle Doobas*: 01-21-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 12:59 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Orpik is exactly what we need - however, if Komisarek is actually as good as he looked on Saturday, we may not need to worry.

I imagine that Pittsburgh would ask for Kulemin.

Agreed.

Nonis is a very patient man and we wont see any movement unless we get a clear picture with what Carlyle is working with.

Thus my suggestion that nothing is worth noting other than simple discussion.

I truly hope that Komisarek rebounds under Carlyle and he plays a simple, steady and phyiscal game where he plays up to expectations. Carlyle is going to give Komisarek that chance with selective minutes and PK time.

Randy has told his defensive core to "play simple", and with the cast that he is working with (Holzer, Kostka, Fraser, Komisarek), he could get the best bang for his buck with that advice leading us to not needing to make many moves and watching Scrivens/Reimer put up much better numbers and feel more comfortable.

Wilson preached mobility and skating the puck out of problems, where as Randy is demanding we collapse hard infront and just get the damn puck to the outside and along the wall and falling back into line.

I can see this really working with the likes of the 4 listed above.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 01-21-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

i doubt the Orpik rumor is true...

doesnt make much sense from both sides unless we are swapping Dmen... For example Gunnar for Orpik...

Pitt is thin on D and has been their Achilles heel the past few years... We look decent on D now and when Gardiner comes back we will be even better.

Plus he has a NTC

But u never know Randy likes sandpaper on the back end...

Old
01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Would love to have Orpik. Solid defender who can log a ton of minutes and plays tough.

But as others have said, seems a little redundant given the number of defensemen we have right now.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Pittsburgh fans seemed to have an odd obsession with Kulemin after his half-season in the KHL. I wonder if they'd be willing to give up Orpik + a good fwd prospect (Tangradi?) for him.

Either way, if Kulemin has a season anything like last year, there'll definitely be some questions about needing change of scenery.
They like Kulemin because of the relationship he has with Malkin on and off the ice.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:13 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
i doubt the Orpik rumor is true...

doesnt make much sense from both sides unless we are swapping Dmen... For example Gunnar for Orpik...

Pitt is thin on D and has been their Achilles heel the past few years... We look decent on D now and when Gardiner comes back we will be even better.

Plus he has a NTC

But u never know Randy likes sandpaper on the back end...
It could be false, it could just be a simple call to see what Shero's future intentions are with him.

Like I said, nothing is to be taken as concrete rather than just generate discussion.

I personally think it doesn't make any sense either, but Nonis is always working the phones to stay in the loop.

That sort of diligence landed us Dion Phaneuf when 75% of the league had no idea he was on the block. If it wasn't for just making calls, we wouldn't have our Captain today.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
It could be false, it could just be a simple call to see what Shero's future intentions are with him.

Like I said, nothing is to be taken as concrete rather than just generate discussion.

I personally think it doesn't make any sense either, but Nonis is always working the phones to stay in the loop.

That sort of diligence landed us Dion Phaneuf when 75% of the league had no idea he was on the block. If it wasn't for just making calls, we wouldn't have our Captain today.
very true

I want Backstom sooo bad and his name must be out there considering thay have 2 good young goalies and they are up against the cap next year.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
It would take Kulemin.
They would ask for Kulemin.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:33 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:

Just curious, but how would you even know this information? Unless you actually work with Leafs management...or your quoting another source which makes sense.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:35 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post

It obviously doesn't guarantee it, nothing guarantees progression at a young age.

But if this guy were a former top 10 pick, people would be all over him. The only reason he isn't talked about as much is because he's a 2nd round pick. His 55 points as a 20/21 year old are pretty comparable to Kessel's 60 points as a 20 year old. The difference? Kessel was playing with Savard, whereas ROR lead his team in points.

When we traded for Kessel, who at the time only had ONE 60 point season, people assumed he would improve offensively due to his age (same as ROR last year) and due to where he was taken in the draft. But that same logic isn't applied to ROR? Even though there's no argument to be made that his points were inflated by his environment which was a reasonable argument to make against Kessel at the time?

ROR has good offensive potential. And there aren't red flags that could suggest it was a fluke season (aka he didn't have a particularly high shooting % compared to his previous years and he wasn't playing with any superstars, he WAS the leader on his team).

Defensively? He's already there. Future Selke Nominee, probable winner. He would be a great pick up.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:

I find it hilarious how much you stress that 'IT'S VERY LIKELY THAT NOTHING WILL COME OF THIS' Very necessary with the type of posters around here...

Gives us something to talk about. I'd love Orpik. Thanks Chuck.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Just curious, but how would you even know this information? Unless you actually work with Leafs management...or your quoting another source which makes sense.
Just take his word for it, or TIFWIW. Chuck knows people. He doesn't share his job/sources, just for personal security.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
It obviously doesn't guarantee it, nothing guarantees progression at a young age.

But if this guy were a former top 10 pick, people would be all over him. The only reason he isn't talked about as much is because he's a 2nd round pick. His 55 points as a 20/21 year old are pretty comparable to Kessel's 60 points as a 20 year old. The difference? Kessel was playing with Savard, whereas ROR lead his team in points.

When we traded for Kessel, who at the time only had ONE 60 point season, people assumed he would improve offensively due to his age (same as ROR last year) and due to where he was taken in the draft. But that same logic isn't applied to ROR? Even though there's no argument to be made that his points were inflated by his environment which was a reasonable argument to make against Kessel at the time?

ROR has good offensive potential. And there aren't red flags that could suggest it was a fluke season (aka he didn't have a particularly high shooting % compared to his previous years and he wasn't playing with any superstars, he WAS the leader on his team).

Defensively? He's already there. Future Selke Nominee, probable winner. He would be a great pick up.
Great post, great comparison to Phil's season in Boston.

Love R'OR. Not a typical 1C, but his defensive game/takeaways make him great, and he's only 21.

Gardiner + for R'OR? I love Gards but it's a trade that makes sense; not sure what Colorado's defensive needs are though.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

Good points

Old
01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
BUNGLADEISH

Orpik would be an awesome addition, but I don't see why Pittsburgh would move him. Doesn't hurt to make a call though.

This means the team is looking to get tougher, as expected with RC. I think it also points towards a Komi buyout. If we can get a better replacement at the same price, komo is gone no matter how good he plays.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Great post, great comparison to Phil's season in Boston.

Love R'OR. Not a typical 1C, but his defensive game/takeaways make him great, and he's only 21.

Gardiner + for R'OR? I love Gards but it's a trade that makes sense; not sure what Colorado's defensive needs are though.
I like the potential for a trade with Colorado. We have Gardiner, who is expendable at the right price, and they have a need for a top pairing LH D to play with EJ for the future. I would be more interested in Duchene than ROR though, and just pay a premium for something we need.

An example of this is trading up at the NHL draft. At the time we wanted to trade for Tavares, they asked for Schenn, Kaberle, 1st (Kadri). At the time it seemed like so much, but now I'm sure any Leaf fan would trade JVR, Colborne, Kadri, Biggs for Tavares and a 2nd (what the trade would be today). Pay the premium now. It's the only way to get what we want, and in a few years it won't look that bad.

Even a trade like Gardiner+Kulemin/Kadri+2013 1st for Duchene would likely be a good trade for us in the long run.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Hockey Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
For those suggesting Gardiner + Kulemin + for Duchene... are you nuts? Yes he is young and has great potential, but so does Gardiner. And Kulemin is a SOLID player who is needed on any cup contending team. AND you think we need to add more? Hell no, I'd pass.

But I would love Duchene in between Kessel and Lupul.
I would absolutely trade them for Duchene. In fact, if you tried to propose that to COL fans, they would laugh in your face. Duchene would be our #1C for the next 15 years. Kulemin is replaceable and Reilly could end up being another Gardiner. I love Gards and think he could be a very good player, but Duchene is better, no question.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I like the potential for a trade with Colorado. We have Gardiner, who is expendable at the right price, and they have a need for a top pairing LH D to play with EJ for the future. I would be more interested in Duchene than ROR though, and just pay a premium for something we need.

An example of this is trading up at the NHL draft. At the time we wanted to trade for Tavares, they asked for Schenn, Kaberle, 1st (Kadri). At the time it seemed like so much, but now I'm sure any Leaf fan would trade JVR, Colborne, Kadri, Biggs for Tavares and a 2nd (what the trade would be today). Pay the premium now. It's the only way to get what we want, and in a few years it won't look that bad.

Even a trade like Gardiner+Kulemin/Kadri+2013 1st for Duchene would likely be a good trade for us in the long run.
Too much to pay for Duchene. He's probably worth it, but we can't afford to get rid of that many young pieces, especially that 1st.

Closed Thread