HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Stu Bickel Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
  #101
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,597
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Because he is the most obvious player that doesn't deserve to be on the ice. The other things will sort themselves out. He won't all of a sudden have NHL D skills.
He played 5:30 on Saturday. How do you want to explain the other 54:30?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
  #102
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 16,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He played 5:30 on Saturday. How do you want to explain the other 54:30?
he played 14 minutes yeasterday he clearly earned the extra minutes

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
  #103
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,597
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
he played 14 minutes yeasterday he clearly earned the extra minutes
Who exactly deserved minutes yesterday?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
  #104
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 16,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Who exactly deserved minutes yesterday?
mcdonagh

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
  #105
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,292
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
he played 14 minutes yeasterday he clearly earned the extra minutes
He played more minutes because the game was out of hand. Why burn McDonagh/Girardi out in a 3 goal deficit?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
  #106
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,597
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
mcdonagh
He played 24+. What's your point?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:52 AM
  #107
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,597
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
He played more minutes because the game was out of hand. Why burn McDonagh/Girardi out in a 3 goal deficit?
Thank you. The alarmist are amazing.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:53 AM
  #108
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 16,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
He played more minutes because the game was out of hand. Why burn McDonagh/Girardi out in a 3 goal deficit?
because it was still a somewhat close game, stu comes on gives them a 1 goal lead then gets rewarded by playing what felt like every other shift

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
  #109
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,292
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
because it was still a somewhat close game, stu comes on gives them a 1 goal lead then gets rewarded by playing what felt like every other shift
Do you object to Biron being in, too?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:59 AM
  #110
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 16,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He played 24+. What's your point?
he played 19 something

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:00 PM
  #111
Dactyl
stats are pure CRAP
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 16,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Do you object to Biron being in, too?
marty played a great game

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:03 PM
  #112
Krams
what a time
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 4,834
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
AHL player on an NHL team.

Not much to rant about here. It's gotta stop.
AHL is being kind. ECHL is more like it. Either McIlrath or Eminger need to take his spot. Hell, I'd even take Gilroy at this point.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
  #113
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,982
vCash: 500
Blaming our poor start on our #6 d-man is a bit ridiculous. He made an extremely poor read on the Kennedy goal last night. The team as a whole has been playing like **** though. Staal was on for every goal against by the Bruins on Saturday.We don't have a thread devoted to that. It's easier to hate on Bickel rather than to try to look at the whole team objectively.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:08 PM
  #114
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
That play was very disheartening, it totally killed any and all momentum we had and shifted everything in pittsburghs favor. was it the reason we lost? maybe, maybe not, but he didn't help the team last night, thats for damn sure.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:09 PM
  #115
Krams
what a time
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 4,834
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Blaming our poor start on our #6 d-man is a bit ridiculous. He made an extremely poor read on the Kennedy goal last night. The team as a whole has been playing like **** though. Staal was on for every goal against by the Bruins on Saturday.We don't have a thread devoted to that. It's easier to hate on Bickel rather than to try to look at the whole team objectively.
Nobody is blaming the poor start on Bickel. He's simply a piece of the puzzle. He's an obvious weakness that must be eliminated and that can be done fairly easily.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:09 PM
  #116
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,597
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
he played 19 something
Ok. Still-what's your point?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:10 PM
  #117
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Cupcake schedule.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 12,297
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Never to early to find a scape goat.
Not trying to find a scapegoat. Most are just citing the painfully obvious, Bickel has been bad. I have been one of his biggest supporters and again I think he has been BAD.

Now for those who are almost entirely blaming Bickel on our 0-2 start

For those who think Bickel's bad play isn't at all responsible for our 0-2 start

The team as a whole has just sucked (hence why we are 0-2). Bickel has just been a notch worse.

__________________
"In the roll of the cosmic dice you win one heart and lose it twice before you know"
Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:15 PM
  #118
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Blaming our poor start on our #6 d-man is a bit ridiculous. He made an extremely poor read on the Kennedy goal last night. The team as a whole has been playing like **** though. Staal was on for every goal against by the Bruins on Saturday.We don't have a thread devoted to that. It's easier to hate on Bickel rather than to try to look at the whole team objectively.
Plenty of blame to go around Hags, Kreider, Gabby, Boyle, Steps...not only Bickel

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:41 PM
  #119
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
can we call up McIlrath? Can't be any worse than how Stu is playing ... I like his character but he looks overwhelmed on the ice.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:41 PM
  #120
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Not trying to find a scapegoat. Most are just citing the painfully obvious, Bickel has been bad. I have been one of his biggest supporters and again I think he has been BAD.

Now for those who are almost entirely blaming Bickel on our 0-2 start

For those who think Bickel's bad play isn't at all responsible for our 0-2 start

The team as a whole has just sucked (hence why we are 0-2). Bickel has just been a notch worse.
The issue with Stu is that I do not see him getting better. I want to see someone that at least has some knowledge on what to do with the puck. I'd rather see Gilroy or Eminger at this point. At least they can skate. Bickel is not a good skater. That is the reason he is not doing well.

Let's get rid of the obvious mistakes at this point, and move forward to figure out who needs to go where after that. Bickel coming out of the lineup is the easier of the choices to make.

At some point, you have to think that Miller is going to come up and try and provide a spark. Hagelin did it last season, Kreider did it in the playoffs. I expect that to be something they explore.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:45 PM
  #121
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Not trying to find a scapegoat. Most are just citing the painfully obvious, Bickel has been bad. I have been one of his biggest supporters and again I think he has been BAD.

Now for those who are almost entirely blaming Bickel on our 0-2 start

For those who think Bickel's bad play isn't at all responsible for our 0-2 start

The team as a whole has just sucked (hence why we are 0-2). Bickel has just been a notch worse.
It's typical behavior of this board. Single out the guy who is perceived to be the weak link, and start directing the frustration at him.

Hell, half of the people who are harping on him for the Kennedy goal can't even remember how the play developed. Vitale blew by Bickel because he misread his gap and thought he could close him out on the wall. Hank made the initial stop and it should have ended there. However, between Kreider being slow on the backcheck and Del Zotto standing around in front of the net not covering anyone, Kennedy had an easy look at the net. That play was a **** show all the way around.

Seems like few people around here can analyze a hockey play anymore. It's kind of alarming.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:54 PM
  #122
Callafan24
Registered User
 
Callafan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
Bickel brings an element of toughness that Torts likes to have in the back. Sauer used to play with that edge but unfortunately we're without him this year. With a decent amount of tougher teams in our conference, I don't know that Rupp and Asham can handle the entire load. Not that we have a soft team but it's clear that Stu's toughness is keeping him in the lineup. Replacing him with Eminger should be an easy fix considering he's had a few good stretches with this team, but we do lose that element in exchange.

Callafan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
  #123
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callafan24 View Post
Bickel brings an element of toughness that Torts likes to have in the back. Sauer used to play with that edge but unfortunately we're without him this year. With a decent amount of tougher teams in our conference, I don't know that Rupp and Asham can handle the entire load. Not that we have a soft team but it's clear that Stu's toughness is keeping him in the lineup. Replacing him with Eminger should be an easy fix considering he's had a few good stretches with this team, but we do lose that element in exchange.
I don't give two ***** about bickel's toughness or ability to fight because his ability to be a hockey player, or lack thereof, cost us the momentum we had going last night and imo the game. He can't skate. He let an average NHLer at best, blow by him and turn the game around. I know, I know, there are other guys playing poorly or not up to standards, but those guys will turn it around because they have the skill and ability to play in this league. Bickel does not. He is not an NHL defenseman and with his poor skating ability he'd be lucky to survive in the AHL.

Don't give me this crap that the east is tough and we need bickel's toughness. We had fights in both games, two in boston. We lost both games. We didn't lose because of a lack of toughness. We lost because our defense was weak. Bickel did not play good in either game. Put eminger, heck put Gilroy in, at least he can skate and keep up. Like I said last night, if this is the type of play were going to have to be subjected to then put McIlrath in. At least he has promise and potential and more size. I can't watch Bickel anymore. Last night was it for me. Watching Vitale blow by him was maddening. The rangers tied that game and were playing strong carrying the momentum. Bickel killed all of that momentum.


Last edited by RGY: 01-21-2013 at 02:29 PM.
RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
  #124
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Never to early to find a scape goat.
Nobody is using him as an excuse for the ghost of Gab or Hank spreading his legs like the Czech prosititute I hired last night to apparently drug me and steal my wallet but we have all consistently seen him be the same bad player when (Here's the biggest key I think to why people are so frustrated with him) there are better alternatives. I think that's what this convo is about being annoyed that we aren't using a better alternative here. There are severeal issues that require time to resolve themselves...this is not one of them


Last edited by shinchanyo: 01-21-2013 at 01:58 PM.
shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
  #125
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Nobody is using him as an excuse for the ghost of Gab but we have all consistently seen him be the same bad player when ,(Here's the biggest key I think to why people are so frustrated with him) there are better alternatives
Who? The guys the coaches sat in the press box the last two games? If they were really better options, wouldn't they have been in the lineup after the Boston game where Bickel played less than 6 minutes?

People have selective memory. Some just choose to forget how badly Gilroy played during his stint here, and how many people were screaming for someone to replace Eminger.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.