HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lupul re-signs with Toronto 5 years (5.25 average)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2013, 09:29 AM
  #301
NiL8r87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
Jamie Benn sends Lupul a kiss.
This isn't Lupul's 2nd contract...

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:29 AM
  #302
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
Jamie Benn sends Lupul a kiss.
Jamie Benn is a restricted free agent. I get a little disappoint when I see a fan on a hockey forum who can't tell the difference between an u-n-r-e-s-t-r-i-c-t-e-d and r-e-s-t-r-i-c-t-e-d free agent

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:51 AM
  #303
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
He's been run out of Anaheim twice, Carlyle hated him for his lack of compete, Edmonton and Philly didn't like his lack of fortitude or his fitness levels and shipped him out. And his history of injury is lengthy to say the least, just last year he missed the last 5 weeks of the season. Typical Burke signing why did they fire him he could have continued his incompetence instead of putting his puppet Nonis in charge.
What the hell are you talking about? Burke didn't sign him he was throw in in the Gardiner trade. A THROW IN!! Look at his production with the Leafs. This is probably Burke's best moves in his tenure here.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:25 AM
  #304
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
You're funny.

The timing and the term is a little off but the price is standard. If he stays healthy (reason why I don't like the timing) he'll be well worth the contract. The term speaks for itself, 5 years for a guy who hasn't been healthy throughout his career is a little scary for fans but his injuries aren't chronic, more of the bad luck all over the place variety.

Contrary to popular (HF) belief, Lupul is actually a good player. I get a good laugh out of people who claim(ed) he is a 3rd liner. Even on a contending team, Lupul is good enough to play on the top-6. Moving from RW to LW really revitalized his career (playing with Kessel helped) because he has a good shot and gets it off quickly and accurately from his off-wing. He's not fast enough to play RW.

...okay??...

Not sure what is funny with my post as I am with the majority... Leafs had to sign him, they slightly overpaid... it's not a horrible contract, but you can't say it's good or discount either.

The stuff highlited not sure where that comes from because all I said is summed up in the above paragraph and many leaf fans are feeling the same.

I think my comment was dead on... they had to sign him and like Grabovski Lupul cashed in on a talent starved team.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:30 AM
  #305
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
The term and money of this deal are both fine, period. You have to buy UFA players and this is what that was/is. I mean look at Zajacs deal, only two years younger and Lupul technically has a higher carreer PPG avg. for people who are saying his contract is great. He will be fine and like others have said brings more to our team then a so called fluke season.

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
  #306
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
...okay??...

Not sure what is funny with my post as I am with the majority... Leafs had to sign him, they slightly overpaid... it's not a horrible contract, but you can't say it's good or discount either.

The stuff highlited not sure where that comes from because all I said is summed up in the above paragraph and many leaf fans are feeling the same.

I think my comment was dead on... they had to sign him and like Grabovski Lupul cashed in on a talent starved team.
The stuff you bolded has nothing to do with what you said, that's why it was written in a 2nd paragraph.

What was funny you saying Lupul is a 1M-1.5M dollars overpaid. Good luck trying to find that kind of production for 3.75M - 4.25M

Leafs also didn't "have to sign him", they're deep on the wings. They're not talent starved either, 10th in goal scoring last season. They just have a big gaping hole at #1C and #1G which really hurts our win/loss ratio. This isn't the same Leafs team you saw 2 years ago that had Joey Crabb on the 1st line with a guy fresh out of college and Tim Brent/John Mitchell taking draws on the 3rd line. No offense but I think your analysis of the Maple Leafs is a little out of touch.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
  #307
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
The term and money of this deal are both fine, period. You have to buy UFA players and this is what that was/is. I mean look at Zajacs deal, only two years younger and Lupul technically has a higher carreer PPG avg. for people who are saying his contract is great. He will be fine and like others have said brings more to our team then a so called fluke season.
out of curiosity in what way does he "technically" have a higher career PPG average.
Zajac's is 0.62 (50pts/year), Lupul's is 0.60 (49pts/yr)

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
  #308
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
They just have a big gaping hole at #1C and #1G which really hurts our win/loss ratio.
lol, yes i imagine it would.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:47 AM
  #309
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
out of curiosity in what way does he "technically" have a higher career PPG average.
Zajac's is 0.62 (50pts/year), Lupul's is 0.60 (49pts/yr)
Either way, each players AAV is fine. They're getting paid exactly what they deserve per season, what bothers me is the term on both guys' contracts.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
  #310
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
out of curiosity in what way does he "technically" have a higher career PPG average.
Zajac's is 0.62 (50pts/year), Lupul's is 0.60 (49pts/yr)
Zajac gp-424 pts-256=0.604

Lupul gp-516 pts 323=0.626

equals technically higher

They both are being paid as they may get as UFA's, IMO. I like Lupuls term some say is a little better but Zajac will only be a year older when his deal expires.

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:59 AM
  #311
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,414
vCash: 500
dont rly like it but they needed him

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:03 PM
  #312
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Zajac gp-424 pts-256=0.604

Lupul gp-516 pts 323=0.626

equals technically higher

They both are being paid as they may get as UFA's, IMO. I like Lupuls term some say is a little better but Zajac will only be a year older when his deal expires.
well that makes sense, i had them backwards.....curiosity satisfied

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:06 PM
  #313
Chungo
Registered User
 
Chungo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
Probably a fair deal, he needs to keep his level of play up..

I guess the pro scouts/coaches had no issue with him keeping up the pace. Also, despite the fact that he had a bit of difficulty holding the puck in a few instances, he still seemed to have great chemistry in the first game.

Chungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
  #314
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
well that makes sense, i had them backwards.....curiosity satisfied
No, problem, lol, like I said I think they are both comparable. Unfortunatly neither team was also in a position to have their players walk, especially NJ. Though I find it odd that teams don't complain, as it was stated Lupuls agent sent him info on upcoming UFA's, teams that might be looking and the cap space they have. I mean this is almost reverse tampering, isn't it? I know they have to look out for their clients, but getting them thinking of other destinations before a seaon is over seems odd to me.

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:21 PM
  #315
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,600
vCash: 500
Gotta love Lupul's character in terms of the signing. He could have left the Leafs and gotten more money on a better team. Didn't happen. Lupul is a great fit here, and the year before last, he actually was a pretty great player for us, so, I do doubt he's a one year wonder.

Yes, there is risk in this signing; but if it works out as it has been, it will be a great signing and will be a great player with Kessel for many years.

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:31 PM
  #316
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
Gotta love Lupul's character in terms of the signing. He could have left the Leafs and gotten more money on a better team. Didn't happen. Lupul is a great fit here, and the year before last, he actually was a pretty great player for us, so, I do doubt he's a one year wonder.

Yes, there is risk in this signing; but if it works out as it has been, it will be a great signing and will be a great player with Kessel for many years.
He gets to play 1st line on the Leafs something he is not guaranteed on many other teams. Money is good, something he would get elsewhere to is my guess. I am a bit skeptical about the term, would have hoped for 3 years but I am ok with the deal. It is not only that he have talent he is a hard worker to with leadership qualities, something we dont have much of currently.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:45 PM
  #317
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
He gets to play 1st line on the Leafs something he is not guaranteed on many other teams. Money is good, something he would get elsewhere to is my guess. I am a bit skeptical about the term, would have hoped for 3 years but I am ok with the deal. It is not only that he have talent he is a hard worker to with leadership qualities, something we dont have much of currently.
I think Nonis would have preferred a better term and less cap hit as well, but as you said he would have got it elsewhere. Unfortunatly teams have to pay for UFA years. I am just excited as it is better then losing him for nothing and i feel bodes well for showing guys wanna play in TO. He has embraced the city as much as the city has embraced him and was smart enough to realize he is in a good situation.

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:29 PM
  #318
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
The stuff you bolded has nothing to do with what you said, that's why it was written in a 2nd paragraph.

What was funny you saying Lupul is a 1M-1.5M dollars overpaid. Good luck trying to find that kind of production for 3.75M - 4.25M

Leafs also didn't "have to sign him", they're deep on the wings. They're not talent starved either, 10th in goal scoring last season. They just have a big gaping hole at #1C and #1G which really hurts our win/loss ratio. This isn't the same Leafs team you saw 2 years ago that had Joey Crabb on the 1st line with a guy fresh out of college and Tim Brent/John Mitchell taking draws on the 3rd line. No offense but I think your analysis of the Maple Leafs is a little out of touch.
I said over paid by 1- .5... not 1.5, maybe there is the confusion??... should have put it this way .5-1 million to make more sense.


Leaf's aren't deep at wings... they have only 1st line winger (Kessel).... JVR and Lupul are 2nd liners... and Kulemin is a tweener....

I think you're a little out of touch with the rest of the league if you think the leafs are deep at winger... check out St. Louis line up or LA... there is deep at wing.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
  #319
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke
 
Bernier the Boats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
I said over paid by 1- .5... not 1.5, maybe there is the confusion??... should have put it this way .5-1 million to make more sense.


Leaf's aren't deep at wings... they have only 1st line winger (Kessel).... JVR and Lupul are 2nd liners... and Kulemin is a tweener....

I think you're a little out of touch with the rest of the league if you think the leafs are deep at winger... check out St. Louis line up or LA... there is deep at wing.
Lupul has put up 85 pts in 90 games as a leaf. That is not only 1st line production, but superstar production.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
  #320
conway902
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
I said over paid by 1- .5... not 1.5, maybe there is the confusion??... should have put it this way .5-1 million to make more sense.


Leaf's aren't deep at wings... they have only 1st line winger (Kessel).... JVR and Lupul are 2nd liners... and Kulemin is a tweener....

I think you're a little out of touch with the rest of the league if you think the leafs are deep at winger... check out St. Louis line up or LA... there is deep at wing.
umm Lupul has put up first line numbers when he has first line ice time. Not to mention your saying JVR is a
2nd liner and he is playing on our third line.

conway902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:05 PM
  #321
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Lupul has put up 85 pts in 90 games as a leaf. That is not only 1st line production, but superstar production.
so your paying him based on one season of stats

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
  #322
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
I said over paid by 1- .5... not 1.5, maybe there is the confusion??... should have put it this way .5-1 million to make more sense.


Leaf's aren't deep at wings... they have only 1st line winger (Kessel).... JVR and Lupul are 2nd liners... and Kulemin is a tweener....

I think you're a little out of touch with the rest of the league if you think the leafs are deep at winger... check out St. Louis line up or LA... there is deep at wing.
Los Angeles was 29th in the league in Goals For, St. Louis 21st. Who's out of touch again?

Off the top of my head, LA's wingers: Jeff Carter, Justin Williams, Dustin Penner, and Dustin Brown. St. Louis' wingers: Vladimir Tarasenko, TJ Oshie, David Perron, Chris Stewart and Andy McDonald(?). Kessel is better than everyone I just named and you could certainly list JVR and Lupul amongst those names. MacArthur belongs amongst guys like Stewart and Penner as well If you're going to mention teams deep at wings at least do it right and list teams like Chicago and Philadelphia Leafs are deep at the wing position, plain and simple.


Last edited by GordieHoweHatTrick: 01-21-2013 at 02:42 PM.
GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
  #323
iPunch
Leafs Fan
 
iPunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,466
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
so your paying him based on one season of stats
If he was being payed the salary of that one seasons stats, he'd be getting alot more than $5.25

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
  #324
Hennig
It was 4-1.
 
Hennig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,449
vCash: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
so your paying him based on one season of stats
Huh? Superstar money is not 5.25m/yr.....

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:37 PM
  #325
Scoogs
Registered User
 
Scoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Lupul has put up 85 pts in 90 games as a leaf. That is not only 1st line production, but superstar production.
No, I'd say superstar production is averaging well above 1 pt per game.

But he's been great, and I'm happy with this contract.

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.