HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 12:26 PM
FlyingHigh28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
The Hodgson goal he could have done a better job on (same with Voracek)
How exactly could he have done a better job? When someone (any NHL player, let alone a scorer as accomplished as Vanek) is coming in on you on a breakaway, the only thing you are thinking about is selling out to stop the puck. You're not thinking about the rebound, or what happens next, all you can do is concentrate and stop the first attempt and rely on your other guys to clean up.

Bryzgalov did his job and made a damn nice save on Vanek, and what was his reward? Jake falls down, then gets up and whiffs trying to whack the puck out of the crease and then Bryz manages to recover and cover the puck w/ his glove, only to have Hodgson ram right into him and push the puck over the goal line.

If Fedotenko interfered w/ Miller, then Hodgson certainly interfered w/ Bryz.

There's no way you can blame Bryz for the Hodgson goal, and if you attempt to, you're really reaching.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:34 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Somebody on Hockeybuzz site mentioned Bryz's reluctancy to keep the paddle on the ice that may have lead to few goals going in (in particular Myers' and Hodgson's).

Can some of the goalies here comment on that, please?
obviously not an expert here but i played the position for the better part of 14 yrs so i'll take a look when i get home from work and get back to you. i did watch the games though and i really don't remember thinking anything along those lines though.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
obviously not an expert here but i played the position for the better part of 14 yrs so i'll take a look when i get home from work and get back to you. i did watch the games though and i really don't remember thinking anything along those lines though.
Thank you.
The poster there implied that had the paddle been down, the bottom of the net would have been covered better and would have prevented pucks of sliding in.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
3rd period goals :

Myers' goal : Half ass clear attempt by Timonen while on the PK. Myers takes a shot and it deflects off timonen's skate right in front of bryz

Hodgson's goal : Vanek goes on a breakaway and Bryz makes the save. Voracek doesn't clear the puck from the crease and Hodgson crashes into bryz while bryz has the puck under his glove and it goes in.

Vanek's goal : Empty net goal
Doesn't sound too bad.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I have a feeling we are still going to get a really awful dose of deflections into our own net from our own players all season long.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
I completely disagree. He's one of the largest problems. His play is already out the gate a rough start. Small sample size, but more of last year already.
The only part of your post I can agree with is the "small sample size" remark.

But to say hes not playing well out of the gate is pretty biased.

He did well in against Pitt and played well yesterday too.

Certainly not friggen amazing, but we didn't lose either game because of him.

We shouldn't have lost yesterday at all, but you can't help really poor officiating.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:44 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
How exactly could he have done a better job? When someone (any NHL player, let alone a scorer as accomplished as Vanek) is coming in on you on a breakaway, the only thing you are thinking about is selling out to stop the puck. You're not thinking about the rebound, or what happens next, all you can do is concentrate and stop the first attempt and rely on your other guys to clean up.

Bryzgalov did his job and made a damn nice save on Vanek, and what was his reward? Jake falls down, then gets up and whiffs trying to whack the puck out of the crease and then Bryz manages to recover and cover the puck w/ his glove, only to have Hodgson ram right into him and push the puck over the goal line.

If Fedotenko interfered w/ Miller, then Hodgson certainly interfered w/ Bryz.

There's no way you can blame Bryz for the Hodgson goal, and if you attempt to, you're really reaching.
I guess I just mean he could have covered the puck a lot earlier, but I guess he expected Voracek to clear it. He definitely made a great save on Vanek. I am pro-bryz for the most part man, not hatin

Old
01-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Breeze 44

same s**t different day...different year. The one constant is Flyer fans who 98% can't stop a soccer ball from going past them into a hockey net, blame the goalie. It really is an old and worn out practice that many of the clueless fans love to fall back on, you're like coaches who just have kids run for practice and they win dispite you. Nevermind we haven't scored, I know wait.....Bryz 's fault, him letting that goal in that deflected off Kimmo deflated the team. This city wouldn't be happy ifBernie strapped them back on. Like I've always said..Pelle got off easy.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
This city wouldn't be happy ifBernie strapped them back on. Like I've always said..Pelle got off easy.
actually your dead wrong... the city went ballistic at the WC when Bernie put the pads on..

Old
01-21-2013, 05:17 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

He's been a good goalie in 2 losses for us. not usually easy to say. no need to nitpick. penguins are one thing but yesterday was a retard fest in terms of those refs. we will win tomorrow. we should've won yesterday. it'll be one of those years where things don't look good but it'll just ramp us up more and we'll surprise in the end.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:55 PM
toughfighter83*

the one player i wished the flyers still have that would actually help bryz out is Ian Laperrière, he was a puck diver blocker and blair betts too and they were the best penality killer forwards, they were the reasons why leighton was playing well besides pronger. if they were still here, i think it would make a difference for bryz.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:11 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
the one player i wished the flyers still have that would actually help bryz out is Ian Laperrière, he was a puck diver blocker and blair betts too and they were the best penality killer forwards, they were the reasons why leighton was playing well besides pronger. if they were still here, i think it would make a difference for bryz.
Since when don't guys block shots on this team?

Bryz looks a lot quicker so far this year. I don't know if that's the exact reason why he's looked better, but it has been something I've noticed.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Thank you.
The poster there implied that had the paddle been down, the bottom of the net would have been covered better and would have prevented pucks of sliding in.
just watched the replays of both goals. on the myers goal if bryz had his stick down that may not have gone in but no one can say that it wouldn't have gone in definitively. with that said, bryz was in motion at the time and you'll be hard pressed to find any goalie in the league with his stick down at all times on a play like that. imo that wasn't his fault, i mean it deflected off kimmo's skate for gods sake. sure, the textbook would tell you to have your paddle down pretty much at all times but that's not how it works when you play the game.

on the Hodgson goal, bryz made the initial save on Vanek and the puck popped up and landed in the crease. again bryz was in motion so his stick was up and he actually covered the puck briefly with his glove i believe but Hodgson just kinda bulldozed through knocking the puck in the net with his skate or stick. again i wouldn't fault him for this at all.

if i were a goalie instructor i wouldn't be showing my students this footage as proper stick work thats for sure but as i said at times during a game the textbook goes out the door so to speak and its just reaction (i think this applies more to the Hodgson goal).

to blame bryz on either of those two goals cause he didn't have his paddle down is a stretch imo.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:19 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Since when don't guys block shots on this team?

Bryz looks a lot quicker so far this year. I don't know if that's the exact reason why he's looked better, but it has been something I've noticed.
i actually think that's part of the problem. i can't tell you how many times i heard bryz say last year that he wants to see the puck and that his own guys were screening him (he wasn't blaming anyone mind you). every team in the league blocks shots but if you can't block the shot get out of the way so bryz can see the puck. i know thats easier said then done but if you've ever played the game you know what i'm talking about.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:32 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
i actually think that's part of the problem. i can't tell you how many times i heard bryz say last year that he wants to see the puck and that his own guys were screening him (he wasn't blaming anyone mind you). every team in the league blocks shots but if you can't block the shot get out of the way so bryz can see the puck. i know thats easier said then done but if you've ever played the game you know what i'm talking about.
Agreed. Half blocks might as well just be deflections by the other team. That's a good way to screw over your goalie.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:09 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
i've been playin for 22 years always forward and nobody i've ever played with including me could pretend to act like i know what's happening speed wise at that level. It's another planet as far as i'm concerned. that's why their so unbelievable. best in the world but most of the problems i saw regardless of what bryz said last year, were just weird open plays allowed in the slot. some turnovers some just random maneuvers that led to prime locations but those were the most disappointing goals he allowed. i don't remember an insane amount from the point through traffic being an obvious problem. I agree that he looks a lot quicker this year tho. its that compete level thing thats makin the difference. btw anybody notice how good bob's looking tonight?

Old
01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i've been playin for 22 years always forward and nobody i've ever played with including me could pretend to act like i know what's happening speed wise at that level. It's another planet as far as i'm concerned. that's why their so unbelievable. best in the world but most of the problems i saw regardless of what bryz said last year, were just weird open plays allowed in the slot. some turnovers some just random maneuvers that led to prime locations but those were the most disappointing goals he allowed. i don't remember an insane amount from the point through traffic being an obvious problem. I agree that he looks a lot quicker this year tho. its that compete level thing thats makin the difference. btw anybody notice how good bob's looking tonight?
Bob is looking great.....still annoyed we had to move him

Old
01-21-2013, 09:50 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
It may not have been Bryz's biggest prob last yr but I only claimed it was part of it.

Yeah, he looked pretty good. Shame he had to take the loss w/ 39 saves. Sick move by Brunner for the W btw

Old
01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
It may not have been Bryz's biggest prob last yr but I only claimed it was part of it.

Yeah, he looked pretty good. Shame he had to take the loss w/ 39 saves. Sick move by Brunner for the W btw
yea it was.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:01 PM
fibonacci*

Bob doing well on an atrocious CLB team, meanwhile we still get inconsistent sieve Bryz. Flyers management should be fired from the top down. Should have been patient, developed Bob for a fraction of the cost of Bryz, and gone out and signed defense. Flyers D is terrible.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I agree we should have developed Bob, but let's not assume he's broken through. He's always been good, but he's lacked the ability to get through a whole season. It remains to be seen if he can develop the endurance. If he does though, oh man.

01-21-2013, 10:22 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Bob doing well on an atrocious CLB team, meanwhile we still get inconsistent sieve Bryz. Flyers management should be fired from the top down. Should have been patient, developed Bob for a fraction of the cost of Bryz, and gone out and signed defense. Flyers D is terrible.
your kinda all over the place. bob looked good but the red wings kinda suck so far. so not taken anything away but ya know. and bryzgalov's cap hit is 5 and a half. pekke rinne who hasn't done all that much more is 7. were not the only ones who may have overpaid a goalie. btw id way rather have bryzgalov's cap hit. also bryz looks good this year so far. and the defense is at least top 7 or 8 in the league. you gotta watch the games not just look at the final score. we'll string some wins together. were too good. wait til the youngins wake up.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:48 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
your kinda all over the place. bob looked good but the red wings kinda suck so far. so not taken anything away but ya know. and bryzgalov's cap hit is 5 and a half. pekke rinne who hasn't done all that much more is 7. were not the only ones who may have overpaid a goalie. btw id way rather have bryzgalov's cap hit. also bryz looks good this year so far. and the defense is at least top 7 or 8 in the league. you gotta watch the games not just look at the final score. we'll string some wins together. were too good. wait til the youngins wake up.
Um... we are pretty far from top 7 or 8.... Seriously, the defense has looked pretty bad right now. We can hit hard, I guess thats cool, but lack some big mobility. Timonen has lost a step, Coburn is still Coburn (solid #2/3, thats all), Grossmann was our teams best defender the 1st game but an average 2nd (good defense but can be beat due to bad skating), Schenn has been better then advertised (but still about average skating and positioning is bad) and Mez has been average at best (we dont even need to talk about Foster).

Defense, I think, needs the most upgrading. Maybe on paper it looks decent but paper and real thing are very far from one another.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Ryker

Quote:
With the bolded part I think you're actually doing fibonacci a great disservice. He namely doesn't just look at the final score, but also looks at the shots per period breakdown. For example, he saw that against Buffalo Bryzgalov faced 14 shots in the third period and allowed two goals, whereas in the first two he only allowed one goal on 13 shots in each. I think the conclusion that Bryz has been inconsistent was therefore unavoidable, and fibonacci has thus also acquitted himself worthy of assuming the nickname of the famous mathematician, who was probably quite versed in logical thinking himself.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:33 AM
BernieTheGreat1
Sharp, Pointy Teeth

Quote:
just watched the replays of both goals. on the myers goal if bryz had his stick down that may not have gone in but no one can say that it wouldn't have gone in definitively. with that said, bryz was in motion at the time and you'll be hard pressed to find any goalie in the league with his stick down at all times on a play like that. imo that wasn't his fault, i mean it deflected off kimmo's skate for gods sake. sure, the textbook would tell you to have your paddle down pretty much at all times but that's not how it works when you play the game.

on the Hodgson goal, bryz made the initial save on Vanek and the puck popped up and landed in the crease. again bryz was in motion so his stick was up and he actually covered the puck briefly with his glove i believe but Hodgson just kinda bulldozed through knocking the puck in the net with his skate or stick. again i wouldn't fault him for this at all.

if i were a goalie instructor i wouldn't be showing my students this footage as proper stick work thats for sure but as i said at times during a game the textbook goes out the door so to speak and its just reaction (i think this applies more to the Hodgson goal).

to blame bryz on either of those two goals cause he didn't have his paddle down is a stretch imo.
I have to disagree with this. I've been a goalie for over 10 years, played NE Prep. Iv'e always been told to never go paddle down. It opens up a gigantic hole because your blocker is no longer in position and the entire right side of the goal is then opened up. I'm also small for a goalie so maybe that was just how my coaches always told me to position myself.

Closed Thread