HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 16th: Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Mets fan here. Thole was made part of the trade because he was the one who could catch Dickey. There are not many knuckle ball pitchers in the majors, so the chance of some catchers ever having the opportunity to catch one are not that great. Don't know if Blanco has ever caught one but I would suspect Dickey is comfortable with Thole catching him with the big glove. If the Jays place Thole in Buffalo, then don't be surprised that there will be a lot of pass balls early on when Dickey is pitching. Besides, Thole's a decent hitter especially for a catcher.
Blanco has experience catching a knuckleball. If that wasn't the case I don't think AA would consider for a second that Thole in Buffalo would be a good idea. I don't know the extent of Blanco's experience, or playing style. All I know is that he's caught the pitch before.

Quote:
Regarding Jose Reyes, liked him as a Met, however he demonstrated his true character on his last day with the Mets. After getting a hit and assuring that he would win the NL batting title in 2011, he took himself out of the line up at Citi-Field fully knowing that there was the possibility that it would be his last game in a Mets uniform. That in and of itself tells you what he's about.
I remember having this discussion a while ago with Mets fans before the Jays even did this deal. I think it speaks more towards fans anger for him leaving, which is perfectly legitimate by the way, than his attitude or intentions on that day.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:
Mets fan here. Thole was made part of the trade because he was the one who could catch Dickey. There are not many knuckle ball pitchers in the majors, so the chance of some catchers ever having the opportunity to catch one are not that great. Don't know if Blanco has ever caught one but I would suspect Dickey is comfortable with Thole catching him with the big glove. If the Jays place Thole in Buffalo, then don't be surprised that there will be a lot of pass balls early on when Dickey is pitching. Besides, Thole's a decent hitter especially for a catcher.

Regarding Jose Reyes, liked him as a Met, however he demonstrated his true character on his last day with the Mets. After getting a hit and assuring that he would win the NL batting title in 2011, he took himself out of the line up at Citi-Field fully knowing that there was the possibility that it would be his last game in a Mets uniform. That in and of itself tells you what he's about.
Ya i'm sure HE took HIMSELF out of the game. Same thing last year from Miguel Cabrera. Would you not want the same for yourself?

Old
01-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
We actually have three different catchers in the system who have all caught Dickey - Thole, Blanco and Mike Nickeas, the other piece that came to Toronto with Thole and Dickey.

We're aware Thole seems like a decent contributor, but IIRC he has options, so he's more likely than Blanco to be sent down on that basis. But remember Blanco caught Dickey in 2010.

From MLB.com:

Quote:
Blanco also has some history with the Blue Jays' new ace, knuckleballer R.A. Dickey, when both were with the Mets in 2010. Pitching to Blanco, Dickey compiled a 2.52 ERA over 50 innings in seven games.
So the Jays have done a good job of ensuring that Dickey will have a knowledgeable battery mate even in the face of an injury or two at the position.

Quote:
Doesn't really tell us anything at all, actually, since we don't know what the context was behind the scenes. Maybe he had been nursing an injury and has to convince the manager to even let him dress. Who knows?

No doubt Reyes mean a lot to you guys when he played there, so sensitivities were going to be heightened leading up to his final games that year. But it's always dangerous to read too much into a single situation, especially when you don't have the complete picture. Better to judge a player based on the way they've handled themselves throughout their career.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:58 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
Ya i'm sure HE took HIMSELF out of the game. Same thing last year from Miguel Cabrera. Would you not want the same for yourself?
You need to familiarize yourself with the story of Ted Williams and when he was on the border line of batting .400 on the last day of the season. Yes Reyes took himself out.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:10 PM
TheOriginalTiger
GOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9
Mets fan here. Thole was made part of the trade because he was the one who could catch Dickey. There are not many knuckle ball pitchers in the majors, so the chance of some catchers ever having the opportunity to catch one are not that great. Don't know if Blanco has ever caught one
Um, wasn't Blanco a Met in '10? so i am pretty sure he has caught ''one''
Remember the Mets are the ones without the pinstripes

Old
01-19-2013, 01:10 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
We actually have three different catchers in the system who have all caught Dickey - Thole, Blanco and Mike Nickeas, the other piece that came to Toronto with Thole and Dickey.

We're aware Thole seems like a decent contributor, but IIRC he has options, so he's more likely than Blanco to be sent down on that basis. But remember Blanco caught Dickey in 2010.

From MLB.com:

So the Jays have done a good job of ensuring that Dickey will have a knowledgeable battery mate even in the face of an injury or two at the position.

Doesn't really tell us anything at all, actually, since we don't know what the context was behind the scenes. Maybe he had been nursing an injury and has to convince the manager to even let him dress. Who knows?

No doubt Reyes mean a lot to you guys when he played there, so sensitivities were going to be heightened leading up to his final games that year. But it's always dangerous to read too much into a single situation, especially when you don't have the complete picture. Better to judge a player based on the way they've handled themselves throughout their career.
ESPN New York's Adam Rubin reports the decision to leave the game belonged to Reyes alone and manager Terry Collins said he honored the request in order to maintain the respect between him and his players.
"I said, 'If I go 1-for-1, take me out of the game,'" Reyes told reporters. "And I did that. If I went 0-for-1, maybe I'm still in the game until I get a hit. ... I wanted to stay in the game, but (Mets fans) have to understand, too, what's going on. They have to feel happy about it if I win the batting title. I do that for the team, for the fans too, because they've been supporting me all the way through."

You have to remember Ryan Braun of the Brewers was just a point or two BA behind him on the last day of the season

Old
01-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
ESPN New York's Adam Rubin reports the decision to leave the game belonged to Reyes alone and manager Terry Collins said he honored the request in order to maintain the respect between him and his players.
"I said, 'If I go 1-for-1, take me out of the game,'" Reyes told reporters. "And I did that. If I went 0-for-1, maybe I'm still in the game until I get a hit. ... I wanted to stay in the game, but (Mets fans) have to understand, too, what's going on. They have to feel happy about it if I win the batting title. I do that for the team, for the fans too, because they've been supporting me all the way through."

You have to remember Ryan Braun of the Brewers was just a point or two BA behind him on the last day of the season
I just don't understand the hatred. It's not like it was a division clinching game or anything.

It's one heck of a way to go out as a Met. I'd be giving him a round of applause.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:41 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I just don't understand the hatred. It's not like it was a division clinching game or anything.

It's one heck of a way to go out as a Met. I'd be giving him a round of applause.
Completely agree, I'd support any of our players making the same decision in a similar situation. That's an awesome achievement worth preserving.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:53 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post

No hatred. It's just the way the game should be played and the character and value system of today's players. You can accept it, I won't.

This is the way the game should be played:
. When he got to the final day of the season, a doubleheader at Shibe Park in Philadelphia, Williams was hitting .3996, which rounded off to .400. Red Sox manager Joe Cronin gave Williams the option to play that day. Williams said if he couldn't hit .400 from the beginning to the end of a season, he didn't deserve it.

"I asked him about that final day,'' Gwynn said, "and he said, 'Hell yeah was I going to play.'''

Williams went 4-for-5 in the first game, the Red Sox overcame an 11-3 deficit to beat the A's, 12-11, and Williams raised his average to .404. He insisted on playing the second game, and he went 2-for-3 to finish the season at .406. In the doubleheader, with all the pressure of .400, he went 6-for-8. He was the first player to hit .400 since Bill Terry in 1930, and the first American Leaguer since Harry Heilmann in 1923.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
No hatred. It's just the way the game should be played and the character and value system of today's players. You can accept it, I won't.

. When he got to the final day of the season, a doubleheader at Shibe Park in Philadelphia, Williams was hitting .3996, which rounded off to .400. Red Sox manager Joe Cronin gave Williams the option to play that day. Williams said if he couldn't hit .400 from the beginning to the end of a season, he didn't deserve it.

"I asked him about that final day,'' Gwynn said, "and he said, 'Hell yeah was I going to play.'''

Williams went 4-for-5 in the first game, the Red Sox overcame an 11-3 deficit to beat the A's, 12-11, and Williams raised his average to .404. He insisted on playing the second game, and he went 2-for-3 to finish the season at .406. In the doubleheader, with all the pressure of .400, he went 6-for-8. He was the first player to hit .400 since Bill Terry in 1930, and the first American Leaguer since Harry Heilmann in 1923.
...which is awesome, agreed. And on one level I take your point. But you said yourself it's a different time - and it's defintely a different business. Reyes achieving that milestone was a great thing for a franchise that, as you well know, hasn't had a lot of greatness to hang its hat on (any more than the jays have for most of the past 20 years!). Sounds like Reyes didn't quit on his team for personal glory, rather that he took himself out to ensure both he and his team could have something worth celebrating.

The important thing to remember is that in the other 161 games that season, and throughout his career, Reyes has been a guy who leaves it all on the field.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:13 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

vCash: 995
Alomar sat out his last game as a Jay heading into FA in '95 so he could keep his .300 average and he was OK.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Seriously, it doesn't matter.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:14 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:

Seriously who cares. He took himself out for his own reasons, too many Met fans hate on him for it and it's actually pathetic.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:38 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

First Earl Weaver, and now Stan Musual. It's a sad day for baseball...

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-21-2013, 12:31 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Just saw a commercial for the next episode of that Jays Up Close series. It's going to be spending the day with RA Dickey as he came to Toronto for the introductory presser.

I've really enjoyed the other Up Close episodes to date, this should be really interesting too.

Wednesday at 7pm ET/4pm PT on Sportsnet 1 apparently.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:42 PM
trellaine201

Has anyone see thE movie "knuckleball"? Follows dickey and wakefield a couple of years ago. Looks quite interesting.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Has anyone see thE movie "knuckleball"? Follows dickey and wakefield a couple of years ago. Looks quite interesting.
Yep, I thought it was a well documented movie about the knuckleball. It even shows the roller coaster ride Wakefield had to endure in order to get his 200th win, eventually getting it against the team he faced the most for his career, the Jays.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:36 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Yep, I thought it was a well documented movie about the knuckleball. It even shows the roller coaster ride Wakefield had to endure in order to get his 200th win, eventually getting it against the team he faced the most for his career, the Jays.
I watched it right after we acquired Dickey and I liked it as well.

It's pretty raw, especially when Dickey talks about his journey... kind of nice to get to know what the guy is all about... especially prior to his Cy Young season... when he was still an "unknown" more or less.

Favourite part was when Dickey and Wakefield are talking with 2 of the older kballers... I think its Hough and Niekro.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:56 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...b_the_show_13/

For the second year in a row, Canadian gamers will get their copies of MLB: The Show with Joey Bats on the cover.

Andrew McCutcheon will appear on the cover of the US released copies.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Voting for the cover starts tomorrow on playstation Canada's facebook.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Voting for the cover starts tomorrow on playstation Canada's facebook.

yeeeeeeahhh bautistsa mvp lets go 2013 playoffs

Old
01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I wish they'd spend some time fixing up the pisspoor Rogers Centre model that they use.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:55 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I wish they'd spend some time fixing up the pisspoor Rogers Centre model that they use.
maybe get some real grass? yes please

Old
01-21-2013, 11:14 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
maybe get some real grass? yes please
I'm talking about in MLB The Show. Real RC doesn't have grass, so there in-game one shouldn't either. But there are a lot of things about the way the stadium is designed in the game that is out of date or just wrong. It also uses poor, washed out textures. Compared to several other stadiums in the game that look amazing, it really feels like they said "**** it, it's just Toronto" when it came time to modelling the place.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:12 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I'm talking about in MLB The Show. Real RC doesn't have grass, so there in-game one shouldn't either. But there are a lot of things about the way the stadium is designed in the game that is out of date or just wrong. It also uses poor, washed out textures. Compared to several other stadiums in the game that look amazing, it really feels like they said "**** it, it's just Toronto" when it came time to modelling the place.
But we're Canadians. What do we know or care about baseball?

Closed Thread