HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 1 | Detroit Red Wings @ St. Louis Blues | 8:00 PM EST | FSD (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I still can't understand why people are so confused by the Suter/Parise thing.

Parise was the key to the whole thing - Suter was going to go wherever Parise went and Parise wanted to go to Minnesota.

All the other stuff, the offers from Philly and whatnot, getting the Wings involved on Suter, etc - that was all bluster designed to drive the total price up on both guys. They played everybody perfectly and got exactly what they wanted.

SUTER WAS NEVER COMING TO DETROIT.

Everybody needs to stop going round and round with this delusion that there was some dollar amount out there that could have brought him in. It's unhealthy.

There. Was. No. Amount. Of. Money. That. Would. Have. Gotten. Suter.
Pretty much this. Good post.

But unfortunately it goes in one ear and out the other around here.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I still can't understand why people are so confused by the Suter/Parise thing.

Parise was the key to the whole thing - Suter was going to go wherever Parise went and Parise wanted to go to Minnesota.

All the other stuff, the offers from Philly and whatnot, getting the Wings involved on Suter, etc - that was all bluster designed to drive the total price up on both guys. They played everybody perfectly and got exactly what they wanted.

SUTER WAS NEVER COMING TO DETROIT.

Everybody needs to stop going round and round with this delusion that there was some dollar amount out there that could have brought him in. It's unhealthy.

There. Was. No. Amount. Of. Money. That. Would. Have. Gotten. Suter.
I agree, and do not fault Holland about not landing Suter in the slightest. My problem is that he would wait until FA to try to address our biggest need, and have only one serious option in Suter. That is not a wise road to travel down.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I agree, and do not fault Holland about not landing Suter in the slightest. My problem is that he would wait until FA to try to address our biggest need, and have only one serious option in Suter. That is not a wise road to travel down.
How do you know that was the case? How do you know he didn't make plays for other pieces at various points throughout the last couple of years?

People around here acting like they know exactly what happens in the Wings' front offices is absolutely ridiculous. Likewise, people acting like other teams want to help the Wings succeed by simply giving them roster players for scraps is also ridiculous (not saying you're doing that, ES).

Last edited by RedMenace: 01-21-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 01:38 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
How do you know that was the case? How do you know he didn't make plays for other pieces at various points throughout the last couple of years?

People around here acting like they know exactly what happens in the Wings' front offices is absolutely ridiculous. Likewise, people acting like other teams want to help the Wings succeed by simply giving them roster players for scraps is also ridiculous (not saying you're doing that, ES).
Yeah, because we wouldn't have heard of anything. That is REALLY LIKELY. You have to stop looking for reasons to excuse Holland's incompetence.

Holland screwed up. He thought this team was still a contender so he signed garbage veterans because he felt that relying on rookies in the later rounds of the playoffs would be a mistake.

Unfortunately this team wont be sniffing the Western Conference Finals or second round of the playoffs for a very, very long time thanks to Krazy Kenny and his awful team building approach.

The guy did nothing and he got burned big time.

Ryan Suter was plan A-Z.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Yeah, because we wouldn't have heard of anything. That is REALLY LIKELY.
Why not? The Hossa signing caught EVERYbody by surprise. Sometimes things that happen behind closed doors stay behind closed doors. You're projecting scenarios you have no authority to say are or are not true.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:18 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
From what I remember, Minny laid down substantially more cash, going north of $100m over the length of the deal. Suter asked them to lower it, while upping Parise's - probably to take some of the focus off himself as being the big signing.

I think there is always going to be a team desperate enough to put a stupid high offer on the table. I don't think any responsible team can go operate with a continued philosophy of just one-upping the most dumbest offer. At the same time, I think the Wings could strike a better balance between spending on some top6 level talents and filling in with kids. Our farm system is actually producing, and could probably fill in those gaps in the lower six that we're blowing $1-3m per Bert/Eaves/Cleary to fill now.
I think it was more the other way around.. Parise asked less money so they would get identical contracts with Suter. Nanne talked about his even before FA begun. 'No one is going to outbid Wild for Parise'.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:20 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Ok, we've gone off the GDT rails here and there's a new game on tonight.

You don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

/thread

Closed Thread