HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposal Thread: Part X Rated Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

vCash: 500
Subban is great and I would have no problem with picking him up, but in a perfect world, we would pick up a LH dman.

J. Schultz looks like he is going to be the RH dman on the 1st PP unit. The 2nd unit's strategy seems to be set up on the left side with Hemsky and Gagner and feed the point and Yakupov for one-timers.

Still if Subban can be had, we have to take a shot at him.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:05 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I have a gut feel... and that's all it is... not based on any rumours or any other trade speculation... that Yakupov won't be an Oiler long term.

You know that feeling you get sometimes when you see something and you just know somehow it's just not to be... probably a word for it but let's just say it's a Matrix moment. You have this sudden and instant realization that something isn't meant to be or isn't quite right.

I get that feeling with Yakupov on the Oilers. Curious to know if others have felt that as well or am I just crazy.

Maybe it means he'll be traded away soon or he'll be offer-sheeted and be signed away from the Oilers when that time comes... but I just have this feeling he won't be here long term.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If the Oilers get Subban and dont have to give up one of the core pieces, they are a playoff team THIS year.
i actually think we'll be in the playoff *hunt* at least this year already... if we added subban (dreaming in technicolor i know) without losing a major piece, we'd be close to a lock i would imagine

the problem is, this will never, ever happen... if we wanted subban, we'd have to give up something very good, and would surely include one of our big guns

Old
01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i actually think we'll be in the playoff *hunt* at least this year already... if we added subban (dreaming in technicolor i know) without losing a major piece, we'd be close to a lock i would imagine

the problem is, this will never, ever happen... if we wanted subban, we'd have to give up something very good, and would surely include one of our big guns
If Montreal doesn't want to pay PK, why would they ask for an expensive piece in return?

Old
01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If Montreal doesn't want to pay PK, why would they ask for an expensive piece in return?
From what I gather they aren't afraid to pay him. THey just didn't want 5-6 years that PK is looking at.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
If anybody can afford to lose 4 1st round picks, it's probably the Oilers. It's going to be a long time before any prospects are going to have a hope of cracking this lineup in a top 6 role. If it means adding one of the premier defensemen in the NHL without losing anything from your roster, it's a move you have to make.

Smid - Subban
Schultz - Schultz
Whitney - Petry

That's a defense I'd put up against almost any in the NHL.

Of course, you might see Subban sign an offer sheet, but I guarantee you Montreal would match.
Subban is a good player, but he is not a dman you give up 4 first rounders for. The Canadians wouldn't match if they were getting 4 first rounders back.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:15 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
From what I gather they aren't afraid to pay him. THey just didn't want 5-6 years that PK is looking at.
That seems odd. A team doesn't want to lock their young talent up for 5-6 years?

I'm not up to date on PK's contract situation, what is the max years the Habs can sign him if they want him to be a RFA at the end of the contract?

This might just be a case of PK asking for a contract that makes him an UFA at the end.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:22 PM
jsho

Does anyone know where you can find a breakdown of a player penalty minutes?

Curious to know the type of penalties PK takes. He lead the entire NHL for defenseman last year for penalty minutes.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Subban is great and I would have no problem with picking him up, but in a perfect world, we would pick up a LH dman.

J. Schultz looks like he is going to be the RH dman on the 1st PP unit. The 2nd unit's strategy seems to be set up on the left side with Hemsky and Gagner and feed the point and Yakupov for one-timers.

Still if Subban can be had, we have to take a shot at him.
On the first unit you have Subban on the left point waiting for one timers from Schultz.

Then you have Yakupov waiting for one times from the other side by the half boards.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Does anyone know where you can find a breakdown of a player penalty minutes?

Curious to know the type of penalties PK takes. He lead the entire NHL for defenseman last year for penalty minutes.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=penalties

47 minors, 3 majors, 1 ten minute misconduct.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:38 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=penalties

47 minors, 3 majors, 1 ten minute misconduct.
47 minors isn't something I would overlook when it comes to him...the next defenseman in the league had 37 minors

The season before he was also 3rd in the league for total penalty minutes among dmen and again the league leader with 42 minor penalties. And second place belonged to our beloved Theo Peckham.

So does 89 minor penalties in 2 seasons seem concerning? Is he a dman that's going to be putting you shorthanded every night?

Old
01-21-2013, 03:00 PM
misfit

Quote:
Subban is a good player, but he is not a dman you give up 4 first rounders for. The Canadians wouldn't match if they were getting 4 first rounders back.
Keep in mind, offering Paajarvi, Klefbom, and a 1st is giving up 3 first rounders. One of which being a top 10 selection.

Maybe I wouldn't send a "4 1sts" offersheet to PK, but that's only because of how much you'd have to pay him in order for the compensation to be that many 1st rounders, not because of the picks.

I wouldn't give up our last 4 1st round picks for Subban, but if you look at it this way, the Oilers likely aren't a last place team this year. With Subban (and no subractions), they're probably a playoff team. Heck, they're probably in the playoff conversation this year too. If you look at a team that wasn't a playoff team, but not lottery bad, look at what you're talking about for compensation for Subban.

Carolina (14,27,7,12 overall): Boychuk, Paradis, Skinner, Murphy
Buffalo (13,23,16,12 overall): Kassian, Pysyk, Armia, Grigorenko
Minnesota (7,10,9,16 overall): Dumba, Brodin, Grandlund, Leddy
Tampa Bay (2,6,27,10 overall: Hedman, Connolly, Namestnikov, Koekkoek
Rangers (19,10,15,28 overall): Kreider, McIlrath, Miller, Skjei
Montreal (18,22,17,3 overall): Lablanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk

There's definitely some quality there, but aside from the teams that had 2nd and 3rd overall selections in there, there aren't many players I wouldn't include in a deal for Subban. Especially when you're talking about players who are up to 4 years from being drafted, let alone making the NHL in any meaningfull capacity.

01-21-2013, 03:00 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
47 minors isn't something I would overlook when it comes to him...the next defenseman in the league had 37 minors

The season before he was also 3rd in the league for total penalty minutes among dmen and again the league leader with 42 minor penalties. And second place belonged to our beloved Theo Peckham.

So does 89 minor penalties in 2 seasons seem concerning? Is he a dman that's going to be putting you shorthanded every night?
How many penalties does he draw? He is a first class pest. That should offset how many minors he takes a bit.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
worraps
Acceptance

I'd love to add Subban without giving up any pieces of the core but I can't imagine Bergevin has the balls to let Subban go for Whitney + prospects.

If we offer sheet him I think they'll just match and given RNH, Yakupov, and Schultz's contract status I really don't think we should be the team that targets players coming out of their ELCs.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
How many penalties does he draw? He is a first class pest. That should offset how many minors he takes a bit.
i would say 1/5 of his penalties are coincidental and he probably draws 1 penalty for every 2 he takes. with our PP that ratio is great. he plays an aggresive game, there will always be penalties for a player who plays that way

Old
01-21-2013, 03:11 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:

He's far from perfect, but would still be our best d-man.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
T-Funk

Can the Oilers afford to give Subban any more money than MTL is currently offering and he is currently rejecting?

Old
01-21-2013, 03:13 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
That seems odd. A team doesn't want to lock their young talent up for 5-6 years?

I'm not up to date on PK's contract situation, what is the max years the Habs can sign him if they want him to be a RFA at the end of the contract?

This might just be a case of PK asking for a contract that makes him an UFA at the end.
No it is bergevin not wanting to pay for potential. He is trying to set a precedent for his team in not giving big second contracts. If he gives a 6 year deal he would have to pay 5-6 million. On a 2 -3 year deal on 3-4 million. Saves him money in the short term and helps the team see what they have.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:17 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Can the Oilers afford to give Subban any more money than MTL is currently offering and he is currently rejecting?
Whitney makes 4mill and we are paying Souray 1.5 to play for Anaheim this year.

Montreal doesnt want to give term.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Petro Points

What is with the Subban love all of the sudden? Did I miss a mckenzie tweet?

There is a thread up on main board re Datsyuk being available if DET free fall this year.
He would be perfect on our 2nd line and should make us a playoffs team.
The cost for him from what people proposed and what DET fans expected is seemingly pretty cheap ..

Klefbom+Paajarvi or Gagner for a year and half of Datsyuk might be worth it.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
How much is mtl offering?
I thought the problem was more term then just dollars in that mtl wants to give him a 2 year deal and PK wants more years.
In terms of dollars i would be comfortable giving PK up to 5.5 million per year over 5 maybe 6 years.
If subban wants $6 m+ i don't want him
don't get me wrong i love PK and would love edm to get him but only at a reasonable price.

I think the Oilers will compete for a playoff spot this year and like IATL said i think we make the playoffs with Subban

Old
01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Whitney makes 4mill and we are paying Souray 1.5 to play for Anaheim this year.

Montreal doesnt want to give term.
and with term comes a bigger salary. Is he asking for 5.5 or 6+? (yes agreed 402, PK at 5.5 is ok, at 6+, that's getting too high)

I'd personally rather use the assets and money to tweak our bottom 6 and bottom pairing D because they still aren't playoff caliber.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:32 PM
stangconv

If Tambo is pursuing this, he would know what it'll take to get him signed. I imagine it'd be a trade with signing announced right after. He's a free agent so anyone can talk to him.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
If Tambo is pursuing this, he would know what it'll take to get him signed. I imagine it'd be a trade with signing announced right after. He's a free agent so anyone can talk to him.
Subban? He's an RFA.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
What is with the Subban love all of the sudden? Did I miss a mckenzie tweet?

There is a thread up on main board re Datsyuk being available if DET free fall this year.
He would be perfect on our 2nd line and should make us a playoffs team.
The cost for him from what people proposed and what DET fans expected is seemingly pretty cheap ..

Klefbom+Paajarvi or Gagner for a year and half of Datsyuk might be worth it.
I think the oilers are still about 3 years from making this sort of move. The teams too young to risk a top 4 dman for 10 years for a year and a half of a great 2nd line center

Closed Thread