HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I'm starting to get very frustrated with Spott's bench management. There is zero accountability when some vets know they'll get their ice time, regardless. And the flip side is how are the kids supposed to feel when they play great night in, night out in limited minutes and then get scratched?

My point is, I'm not sure you could have a less effective player than Alberga - and to see him play ahead of Llewellyn routinely is mind-boggling.
Mind boggling is putting it mildly!
I also would play Owen Stewart over Less Iafrate. (even though Less may be slightly better now but Stewart with some nice icetime would surpass him)

Old
01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I also would play Owen Stewart over Less Iafrate. (even though Less may be slightly better now but Stewart with some nice icetime would surpass him)
For sure. You have guys who log 20 minutes a night and have 4 or 5 points all year and are minus players. It's almost February... time to change it up. With about 10% of the ice time, the younger players have put up way better numbers. It's not rocket science.

But this phenomenon seems to happen at all levels with vets/coach's pets. Watching the Leafs-Habs game Saturday, garbage players like Kaberle and Bouillon log big minutes all game without ever making a strong offensive play, while guys like Diaz lag on the bench and chip in with an assist or a great pass in their 5 minutes of play.

Wake up!!

Old
01-21-2013, 11:58 AM
BenchedGuy

Speaking of Iafrate, have a question for some. To me it seemed as his game has gotten worse this year. I was a fan of his last year, he didnt seem to have the mistakes was used more on the PP with his shot. It seems this year that he has become more tentative especially after the benchings. He seems to be the "example player" when he makes mistakes and rides the pine then.

I guess the question is in other peoples eyes has his game regressed or was our D that much better last year that he was protected more?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Speaking of Iafrate, have a question for some. To me it seemed as his game has gotten worse this year. I was a fan of his last year, he didnt seem to have the mistakes was used more on the PP with his shot. It seems this year that he has become more tentative especially after the benchings. He seems to be the "example player" when he makes mistakes and rides the pine then.

I guess the question is in other peoples eyes has his game regressed or was our D that much better last year that he was protected more?
He has definitely regressed. But the question I ask is who has really improved under this coaching staff?

It seems to be scale that runs from stagnation to severe regression. And Iafrate just tips the one end of that scale. However, with him, my theory is that he's more of an aggressive, physical, up-tempo guy and that is not at all the style Spott likes. So the staff have completely neutered his game to the point where he mostly just looks confused and lost out there.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:05 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
He has definitely regressed. But the question I ask is who has really improved under this coaching staff?

It seems to be scale that runs from stagnation to severe regression. And Iafrate just tips the one end of that scale. However, with him, my theory is that he's more of an aggressive, physical, up-tempo guy and that is not at all the style Spott likes. So the staff have completely neutered his game to the point where he mostly just looks confused and lost out there.
Thats how I sort of saw it as well that he has be stiffled and has not responded well to the coaching tactics when there are issues with his play.

Definitely saw improvement with Franky over the course of his stay here, dont know if that was in spite of the coaches or not.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Definitely saw improvement with Franky over the course of his stay here, dont know if that was in spite of the coaches or not.
Goalies have their own coach. No doubt Greco has been fine with his charges. I'm referring exclusively to the forwards and D. You can go down the list and be hard-pressed to find a single one who has improved. And that's very incriminating for a coaching staff.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
This is exactly what I've seen from Iafrate as well. He's so afraid of making a mistake that he's not playing his game (which can be very effective and adds an element to the defense that is sorely missed right now).

It drives me nuts - Murphy can make the exact same mistake Iafrate does, yet he doesn't have the fear of sitting or being punished for learning.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:44 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:

Incredible post!! I agree 100%!!

The Max Iafrate that started out as a Ranger was a guy who liked to play on the edge, throw the odd huge hip check, trash talk it up a bit, and rush the puck. He pretty much never saw PP time last year despite being the type of player that rushes the puck well. He saw a tad of PP time this year but McEneny and Gilbert eventually passed him as PP options. With the Corrado acquisition, he'll see zero PP time again.

Friday night, Iafrate missed a hit and it led to the 2nd goal and Spott was quick to bench him for the rest of the period and bring it up on the post game show yet there was no mention of Leivo quitting on the puck long enough to allow the 1st goal. Had Leivo not quit on the puck, the puck is out of the zone instead of the back of the net.

And don't get me started on Murphy's green light to repeatedly cause turnovers that end up in our net. How about Saturday night on the empty netter?

Spott refusing to sit veterans for any length of time bugs me too. He said before Friday's game that no player was safe from being a healthy scratch. Spots in the lineup with be given on merit, etc, etc. If that is the case, why is MM dressing ahead of younger guys with many more pts than him? Ditto Alberga. MM is no better than a 3rd liner on this team. forcing him onto the top six in hopes he'll discover the scoring touch he has never shown since he's been a Ranger is not helping.

Going into Friday, the lines of Pederson/Sterk/Ming and Llewellyn/Meighan/Bailey were the hottest over the last few games yet Spott breaks them up in order to sit Sterk and Llewellyn. No surprise we barely beat Brampton that night.

Old
01-21-2013, 04:55 PM
NHL Fanatic

Justin Bailey to the Sabres potentially?

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=134949

Old
01-21-2013, 07:53 PM
bobber

Quote:
First post on this forum. I also think Steward going to be a good stay at home D man if given the proper amount of ice. As for Max I think the coaching staff need to do a better job developing this kid. As was mentioned he can skate and has a hard shot from the point.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:01 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
First post on this forum. I also think Steward going to be a good stay at home D man if given the proper amount of ice. As for Max I think the coaching staff need to do a better job developing this kid. As was mentioned he can skate and has a hard shot from the point.

I also think that Stewart could be a good, stay at home d-man. I believe Spott hopes by next year, he will replace what Genovese brought to the back end. But he is way behind Genovese in terms of minutes/games played at the same age. Last year, Geno was a regular in the lineup while Stewart is a frequent healthy scratch.

Therefore, I don't see any sense in him replacing Iafrate in the lineup. Iafrate is a third year player playing a regular shift while Stewart, when he is in the lineup, is lucky to see 5 minutes a game. In a year when we are contending, it just can't happen. I don't know if Stewart is spending any time with the Dutchies, but if he isn't, he should be. He needs the minutes.

Actually, in the event a top six d-man goes down this year, I'd rather bring Jesse Young into the lineup than Stewart. Nothing against Stewart, but Young has been playing big minutes with the Dutchies, has extensive playoff experience during last year's run (most noteable seeing many minutes in the PLY series versus the likes of Devane / Aleardi), and has looked very sound defensively when called up this year.

Stewart's time is next year really - if at all. Considering who we have returning next year (Iafrate, McEneny, Gilbert, and Fanelli as an OA) he's 5th at best and that's before you factor in rookie additions - one of which may be an import and another likely our 1st or 2nd pick. At best, Stewart is a 5th d-man going into next year and that's if we don't draft an import d-man.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised to see Stewart moved along much the same way Brandon Morris was to Belleville. No room for him in the lineup but unlike the Midensky's of the world, does have some trade value.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:14 AM
bobber

I think what happens with Steward will be entirely up to how he performs this year when given the opportunity. Going forward to next year's camp he has to do what he did this year and make it hard for the management not to keep him. He is a big kid already and seems to play with some confidence and if he fills out a bit more he could become a force on the back end. I thought the same way about Young who I really liked but Spott never played him for what ever reason.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
mikester

i think Max hasnt played the same since he had his bell rung earlier in the season

Old
01-23-2013, 09:29 AM
mikester

tough weekend comming up, home and home against Erie then pesky guelph in guelph on sunday we will see what kind of effort we put in against Erie since the last home and home didnt go so well.

Old
01-24-2013, 04:05 PM
mikester

Just saw on twitter Spott says faksa injury mri shows mcl damage out 4 to 6 weeks

Old
01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
bobber

Gibby has a hip problem also and will probably not play this weekend. Has not practiced this week. He played with it in Barrie and I thought he never look right at times in the Brampton game.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:00 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Gibby has a hip problem also and will probably not play this weekend. Has not practiced this week. He played with it in Barrie and I thought he never look right at times in the Brampton game.

This hip pointer business is starting to bug me. He had that problem the day he hit Kitchener and something has to be happening wrong for this injury to keep flaring up. Keep him out til he's 100%

Old
01-25-2013, 09:38 AM
BenchedGuy

Remember to bring your potatoes for Don Cameron potato night. Donations go to the House of Friendship.

With Gibby being out, we do have to remember that Vienneau was the stater in Sudbury before the trade and didnt put up bad numbers. Faksa could hurt though, it looked like he was starting to come around.

Last edited by BenchedGuy: 01-25-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
aresknights

Is it just me or has Kitchener had a ton of injuries, questionable concussion assessments et al the last couple years?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:24 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Is it just me or has Kitchener had a ton of injuries, questionable concussion assessments et al the last couple years?
They had a ton of injuries last year - I think there may have been one game with a real, full lineup at best. It's starting to feel a little like that again.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post

Not sure how concussions come into a discussion of knee and hip flexor injuries!

But yes...the Rangers seem to have more than their share of injuries and to their main players. But like anything else in sports things seem to against for quite a while then things change just as fast into your favour.
While injuries are bad for the Rangers now I gotta admit that the Knights seem to have a rabbits foot when it comes to injuries the last cpl years!

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 01-25-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old
01-25-2013, 03:46 PM
bobber

Quote:
Not sure how concussions come into a discussion of knee and hip flexor injuries!

But yes...the Rangers seem to have more than their share of injuries and to their main players. But like anything else in sports things seem to against for quite a while then things change just as fast into your favour.
While injuries are bad for the Rangers now I gotta admit that the Knights seem to have a rabbits foot when it comes to injuries the last cpl years!
Ward weren't Wally and the Beav from Georgetown? (inside joke). Hopefully the team gets over this issue and is healthy going into the playoffs. Spott would not commit when asked if Gibby plays this weekend.

Old
01-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Ward weren't Wally and the Beav from Georgetown? (inside joke). Hopefully the team gets over this issue and is healthy going into the playoffs. Spott would not commit when asked if Gibby plays this weekend.
Watch out for those Georgetown folks. a buddy of mine is married to one and the stories he tells me are (*&(^$%)_&%$!!!

Old
01-26-2013, 08:58 AM
bobber

Rangers had some chances in the first but failed to capitalize on them. It looked like the Otters were trapping also witch makes the game boring from a fan perspective. They got their game going in the second and never looked back. Schoenmakers finally added some character to the team with his antics after scoring a goal in the third. This year's squad really lacked a colorful player that gets the fans into the game. Maybe he is that guy.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Ward Cornell

6 points out of 6 and more solids team play...good going!
But even better than that, Alberga may have found his ass will be planted up in the press box for the remainder of the season, Not sure why they just don't cut him and have a 16 year old take his (I know.... I know he Alberga has experience). What a butt head move by Alberga to ruin Moylans shut-out bid on Saturday.

Opinions.....so who has been the most improved player since Christmas....Sterk or Pederson? IMHO....both have been dynamite!
To be honest I was really down on Pederson last year and for the first 1st half of this season. While sterk is showing me some real heads-up playmaking skills....he'll be a top point getting centremen in the league! Very impressed!

Closed Thread